HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Hayes has surgery; to miss rest of the season

Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Kevin Hayes has surgery; to miss rest of the season

Quote:
@BCHockeyNews
Hayes undergoes surgical procedure, to miss remainder of season. http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hoc...ckey-body.html
Sucks for Hayes. Was having a good year.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
BobbyJet

Beach last year, and now Hayes. A big set back for the kid.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:58 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Beach last year, and now Hayes. A big set back for the kid.
Beach missed almost a full year. Kayes has played most of the year and will be ready for the start of next year. It's definitely unfortunate though.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Hawkaholic

Crap, at least it was almost the end of the season anyway.

I'm hoping he signs a contract, would like to see him play in Rockford next year.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Sevanston

Reading about the surgery, it sounds like the quad bruise he got during his last game had the potential to turn into something really nasty long-term so they just nipped it in the bud.

The big question now is will he be signed this summer, or head back to BC? I don't expect the Hawks to make a move on this until after the Flames decide what they're doing with Gaudreau. If Johnny G goes back to BC, my money is on Kayes going to Rockford. Otherwise, back to Boston to be their main offensive catalyst.

One thing for sure, this is rough for the Eagles. They're basically a one line team without Kayes, though granted, that line currently has the Hockey East MVP on it. Still, BC's chances of going deep just took a big hit.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I don't think Chicago will care whether or not Gaudreau is going back to BC. Kayes is physically ready to play in the AHL (has been for a while) and at this point, could use a upgrade in competition after 3 years in college. I'm not saying he's dominated or anything, but he's steadily improved each year and could use a new challenge.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Reading about the surgery, it sounds like the quad bruise he got during his last game had the potential to turn into something really nasty long-term so they just nipped it in the bud.
That's the type of injury that led to Cam Neely's retirement, so yes, glad they are taking it seriously.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Beach missed almost a full year. Kayes has played most of the year and will be ready for the start of next year. It's definitely unfortunate though.
True... the NHL lock-out has my timetable all screwed up. It feels like November, not coming up to March.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I don't think Chicago will care whether or not Gaudreau is going back to BC. Kayes is physically ready to play in the AHL (has been for a while) and at this point, could use a upgrade in competition after 3 years in college. I'm not saying he's dominated or anything, but he's steadily improved each year and could use a new challenge.
I agree that he's ready for the AHL and the challenge would be good for him, but I think Chicago's brass prefers to see their prospects play a year as "the guy" if possible before signing them.

You could argue that's part of the reason Carruth is still in the WHL, and more or less all of the young prospects in Rockford right now spent time as "the guy" for their pre-Rockford team before moving to the AHL.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I agree that he's ready for the AHL and the challenge would be good for him, but I think Chicago's brass prefers to see their prospects play a year as "the guy" if possible before signing them.

You could argue that's part of the reason Carruth is still in the WHL, and more or less all of the young prospects in Rockford right now spent time as "the guy" for their pre-Rockford team before moving to the AHL.
Carruth was sent back to the WHL because there wasn't going to be enough playing time for both him and Simpson with Hutton and Richards in Rockford (now Karlsson).

I personally don't see any time Chicago, with seemingly no good reason, returned a player to a league lesser than the AHL when they were ready for the AHL. At this point, K.Hayes is ready for the jump.

They brought along Morin and Pirri early. They signed J.Hayes after his junior seaosn. They signed Clendening after his sophmore season. They likely contemplated keeping Saad after drafting him and even then, sending him down was required. They kept Shaw and Flick on AHL deals to have them play Pro, rather than being sent back to the OHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
LandofLincoln

I think the Hawks sign him to an AHL contract and he just played his last college game.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think the Hawks SHOULD sign him now. Sucks for Kayes

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
That's the type of injury that led to Cam Neely's retirement, so yes, glad they are taking it seriously.
It wasn't the myositis ossificans that led to Neely's retirement, it was the other knee injuries that did.

Feel bad for the kid, very rare surgery indeed. I am guessing, based on that article, that he had some type of compartment syndrome following the hit. Not a very common condition, especially in the quad region.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote