HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Deryk Engelland

Old
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Would Pittsburgh rather trade Engelland or Bortuzzo?

Could Dallas get Bortuzzo for Morrow?
I would rather trade Engelland. Bortuzzo is bigger, younger and just seems like a more solid defenseman to me.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I would rather trade Engelland. Bortuzzo is bigger, younger and just seems like a more solid defenseman to me.
Exactly, but could he be available if Dallas added? Would it be something reasonable?

He seems like a good D, but one that could be available considering the Pens have better prospect D ahead of him (Despres) and coming up.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

I could see us moving engo at the deadline. There are always teams looking to add toughness. Could probably get us a 2nd/3rd rounder at that point

Quote:
Exactly, but could he be available if Dallas added? Would it be something reasonable?

He seems like a good D, but one that could be available considering the Pens have better prospect D ahead of him (Despres) and coming up.
I don't think there is anything you could "add" to morrow to get Bortuzzo. We'd probably just want a better player in return.

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Engelland for Stl Kris Russell?

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Engelland for Stl Kris Russell?
why would Pens move Engelland for a undersized PMD who doesn't actually produce much offense?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
why would Pens move Engelland for a undersized PMD who doesn't actually produce much offense?
I was going to throw in a 3rd round pick and please make Kris Russell go away...Please!

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

I guess it would depend on what the pro-scouts and coaches thought of Brendan Morrow, Bortuzzo and Engelland.

It's pretty tough to say because all 3 of these guys are difficult to figure out value for.

I mean, the long-term depth chart leaves no room for both Bortuzzo and Engelland (possibly no room for either), but that's later, they're on the team now and neither one is either valuable or easily replaceable for the price on an immediate basis.

Like, I don't know, what if Engelland breaks his hand in a fight tomorrow and Bortuzzo takes a knee. That long-term depth isn't going to matter much, the Pittsburgh defense corps just got really undersized.

Might be that Brendan Morrow's got enough left in the tank to take that risk...but that's something only the Penguins' pro scouts can say.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I don't think his value is high enough to make moving him worthwhile. He is a really cheap realiable bottom pairing guy and we are not getting a piece that improves the team or a pick that is very likely to improve the team for him, so at least within the season, probably not available.
This sums it up pretty well. Engelland's not going to return the Pens an impact player, so there's no point in dealing him because of what he does have going for him (fights, plays solid D on the bottom pairing, low salary). He's basically what you'd hope for in a #6 defenseman.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Adam Spylo

Montreal offers a third round pick in 2013 or Yannick Weber and a 5th rounder in 2013 for Engelland.

Adam Spylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:30 PM
wej20

Pens decline.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Spylo View Post
Montreal offers a third round pick in 2013 or Yannick Weber and a 5th rounder in 2013 for Engelland.
You didn't even bother to read any of the posts from the Penguins fans, did you?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Spylo View Post
The Pens have no use for Yannick Weber, he's pretty much the complete opposite of the type of player they need.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Sorry to bump this but with the Pens acquiring Murray , does that make Engelland expendable since he will most likely find himself as the 7th-8th D on the depth chart.

Also , how was Engelland playing lately ? Any reason why the Pens would get Murray to play over him ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Sorry to bump this but with the Pens acquiring Murray , does that make Engelland expendable since he will most likely find himself as the 7th-8th D on the depth chart.

Also , how was Engelland playing lately ? Any reason why the Pens would get Murray to play over him ?
Shero said he plans on keeping the blueline as is for the rest of the year, Despres and/or Bennett will be temporarily sent down until after the deadline when roster size expands, so no, he's still not available. Shero has said many times that he likes having 9-10 NHL quality d-men in the system at any one time, and we have that now.

As for his play, pretty much the same as usual. He has fought a lot less than before. Murray is an upgrade for the PK (superior shot blocker) as to why he was brought in over Engelland.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
I answered this before and I'm even less sure of Engelland's value now than I was then. In the offseason, maybe. Now, probably not. Shero seems to want 10 D going into a playoff.

Quote:
Engelland's been scratched a lot lately. Not really doing anything wrong, just too much depth.

Engelland and Murray don't play exactly the same game. They both fight and can blow people up, but that's about it. Murray's a strong shot blocker and PKer, Engelland is not. Engelland's a reasonable puck mover, Murray is not.

I think who would play when is gonna be a matter of matchups.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote