HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part VI: Lacking Wingers, "We Lay Waste Our Powers"

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
DB wants to get back to Ruslan Fedotenko hockey

Old
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I agree with you on Michalek. I really like him and thought he would have been a more valuable trade commodity. We could have waited until later in the summer to move him. That said, I think our D has been fine this year and young guys have gotten opportunities (Despres, Bortuzzo) that wouldn't have happened if we kept Michalek. So I can't be too upset there.
I don't disagree about trading Michalek. But it just seemed like a desperate move. I just think you should be able to acquire legit talent for a top 4 dman.

Shero has had a rough couple of months. Hopefully he can redeem himself with a solid trade before the deadline.

We just don't have a Goligoski / Whitney on the roster right now. I have no doubt that some of these prospects will be as good as them, but not for a year or two. (Both players were far better on the pens than they are now).

I just don't think we have assets to attract a young top 6 player. We will probably trade for a Brendan Morrow type player at the deadline, someone who won't make or break this team.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
DB wants to get back to Ruslan Fedotenko hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Fine, DB wants to get back to our game . . .

O'k, CV, I'll save you the trouble . . .

Quote:

Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Glad I was able to update a few of those statuses while the thread is still "young".
you have free rein but don't you dare mess with Lee Remick.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
you have free reign but don't you dare mess with Lee Remick.
Wouldn't dream of it.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
I don't disagree about trading Michalek. But it just seemed like a desperate move. I just think you should be able to acquire legit talent for a top 4 dman.

Shero has had a rough couple of months. Hopefully he can redeem himself with a solid trade before the deadline.

We just don't have a Goligoski / Whitney on the roster right now. I have no doubt that some of these prospects will be as good as them, but not for a year or two. (Both players were far better on the pens than they are now).

I just don't think we have assets to attract a young top 6 player. We will probably trade for a Brendan Morrow type player at the deadline, someone who won't make or break this team.
I disagree that we don't have the assets but this is a better post. This argument I can understand.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Saints11

It seems the Flyboys getting Gagne, would be similar to the Pens reacquiring Malone. He use to be good for us once and if we get him again; we can make another cup run! Too many injuries and too much water under that bridge.

Much rather see us move after others. But, again, it takes two to tango. However, we can only speculate as to this guy or that being on the block and speculate who and how much Shero would be willing to part with. Could Despres get us a Stewart or a Jones? Are St. Louis and Colorado even looking to move them? Would Calgary part with Iginla for a 1st and Maatta or are they holding out for Pouliot and a 1st? Will all of our trading packages include TK? If we can swing it cap wise; How does a Kennedy and Niskanen for Umberger deal sound?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
It seems the Flyboys getting Gagne, would be similar to the Pens reacquiring Malone. He use to be good for us once and if we get him again; we can make another cup run! Too many injuries and too much water under that bridge.

Much rather see us move after others. But, again, it takes two to tango. However, we can only speculate as to this guy or that being on the block and speculate who and how much Shero would be willing to part with. Could Despres get us a Stewart or a Jones? Are St. Louis and Colorado even looking to move them? Would Calgary part with Iginla for a 1st and Maatta or are they holding out for Pouliot and a 1st? Will all of our trading packages include TK? If we can swing it cap wise; How does a Kennedy and Niskanen for Umberger deal sound?
No way, Niskanen alone is too much for Umberger, we can get more out of Niskanen than him. Especially when Nisky has only 1 less point than him...

Old
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Superstar Shane

No reason Umberger shouldn't be considered an option. He'd fit our salary structure quite nicely if Columbus holds onto ~$1.5M of his cap hit. $1.5M also happens to be the cap hit Columbus would have to pay, for twice the duration, if they were to buy him out (which is probably not their intention, but I present the possibility for comparison's sake). The cost would probably be a lot higher that way, but we have expendable assets, and Umberger would definitely not be a rental.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Fine, DB wants to get back to our game . . .

O'k, CV, I'll save you the trouble . . .
Rest assured, whoever it is, they'll be grinding *****es down.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
namsnoodle

Someone mentioned this

"To get Stewart from St. Louis, it will take Despres and Kennedy, for cap reasons.

To Pittsburgh: Chris Stewart and a 4th or 5th.

To St. Louis: Simon Despres and Tyler Kennedy."

Personally I am for it. I like Despres but we have a lot of Defensman in our system and we desperately need wingers. I think if we can get Stewart, I believe we will be set as we will have; James Neal, Chris Kunitz, Chris Stewart, and Beau Bennett. I think Beau is adapting quite well and will definitely round out the top 6

Old
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub View Post
No reason Umberger shouldn't be considered an option. He'd fit our salary structure quite nicely if Columbus holds onto ~$1.5M of his cap hit. $1.5M also happens to be the cap hit Columbus would have to pay, for twice the duration, if they were to buy him out (which is probably not their intention, but I present the possibility for comparison's sake). The cost would probably be a lot higher that way, but we have expendable assets, and Umberger would definitely not be a rental.
Does anybody know the actual rule as far as teams holding salary? Are they able to retain salary over multiple years or is it just like a 1 year type of thing?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
regard

Why is Michalek being traded being debated in the Winger thread.(AKA the No Winger thread)
Martin and Michalek were asked if they wanted to be traded, Martin said no, I imagine that means Michalek said yes. Dont see why this is being ******* about in the winger thread at all.

Anyhoooo Wingerz yay.

If LA is trading people Id like Williams. Will have to look through capgeek at different players salaries sometime soon not sure what his contract is.
IDK if Morrows ideal but if Dallas is trading impending UFAs(beleive he is one) maybe we can get him. Hey if they want guys signed we have that Tyler Kennedy fellow. He could maybe be Malkins Kunitz.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
namsnoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Why is Michalek being traded being debated in the Winger thread.(AKA the No Winger thread)
Martin and Michalek were asked if they wanted to be traded, Martin said no, I imagine that means Michalek said yes. Dont see why this is being ******* about in the winger thread at all.

Anyhoooo Wingerz yay.

If LA is trading people Id like Williams. Will have to look through capgeek at different players salaries sometime soon not sure what his contract is.
IDK if Morrows ideal but if Dallas is trading impending UFAs(beleive he is one) maybe we can get him. Hey if they want guys signed we have that Tyler Kennedy fellow. He could maybe be Malkins Kunitz.

In my pipe dream, Bobby Ryan is Malkin's Kunitz!

Old
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Does anybody know the actual rule as far as teams holding salary? Are they able to retain salary over multiple years or is it just like a 1 year type of thing?
I'm pretty sure you can retain salary for the duration of the current contract, but I don't have a link or anything to back that up.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Saints11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
No way, Niskanen alone is too much for Umberger, we can get more out of Niskanen than him. Especially when Nisky has only 1 less point than him...
Niskanen and Kennedy as cap hits are close to Umberger's cap hit, it is like 4.3 to 4.6. I don't think you can just say..."He only has 1 point less" to equate value of 1 player over another. There are many people with less points who you would rather have over some people who have more. But, there are a lot of statistics only people. If you think our two are too much, ask for a pick or say, Adrian Aucoin with Umberger.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

I have a suggestion.

These guys:

for

Beau Bennett
Derrick Pouliot

Reasons for this trade are simply two: Calgary would get a steady base to rebuild and second thing is, you have to give to get. This trade also fills Calgary's future needs as you can see yourself:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/calgary_flames/

+ Perfect winger for Sid. Iggy could play 2-4 years on top or even more if he takes same drugs as Selanne.
+ Gaudreau could be awesome with Malkin and Neal if he adds some weight. Could be the next Marty St. Louis.

- Bennett's lost would be a tough thing to process, but if Gaudreau turns out to be a great player, we would be just fine with Iggy and Gaudreau on our top-6.
- Pouliot could turn out to be a top pairing D-man in few years, but his lack of physicality, injuries, defensive issues could turn this trade to our win, if he doesn't pan out in few years and we have lots of depth in our defense pool.

P.S. Of course we could ask for some adding from Calgary's side if you guys think we are seriously overpaying?

Edit: Of course we could just wait for free agency, if Iggy goes that far, or just pay less for him, or just keep Bennett and hope he can be our answer in near future. Ah, these trade suggestions are so hard to do from both teams point of view.

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 02-27-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
steveg

cheesedanish said this in the prior thread...

Quote:
Look at how he (Shero) handled the Paul Martin situation that we just found out about recently.
I missed this...can someone fill me in?

Thanks!

Steve

Old
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
spcastlemagic

Shero: Hey Martin do you want to be traded?
Martin: No I want to play up to my potential here.
Shero: Ok.
Martin: *plays like a freaking Norris candidate*

Old
02-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Hottubber

A couple posters on the main board mentioned a Niskanen for Jokinen swap. I personally think Nisky is worth more. Jokinen can play wing or center and is signed for 1 more year at 3M.

Thoughts?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Oxide

vCash: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
A couple posters on the main board mentioned a Niskanen for Jokinen swap. I personally think Nisky is worth more. Jokinen can play wing or center and is signed for 1 more year at 3M.

Thoughts?
Olli or Jussi?

I see you're talking about Jussi . I would have to pass on that.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
Olli or Jussi?
Jussi. Carolina

Old
02-27-2013, 04:52 PM
mpp9

Jussi's a perimeter player. Not a guy Shero would trade Nisky for.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
gordie

Despres and Kennedy aren't going to get you Stewart. Maybe a first rounder this year a second rounder next year and Despres and even then I have a hard time seeing St Louis trading a 25 year old power forward making $ 3 million a year.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Perhaps the time has come to moderate your caffeine intake?
Good idea.

I'M ON A COFFEE-ONLY DIET UNTIL SHERO MAKES A MOVE!

Closed Thread