*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 11:24 PM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
What do other posters think about the Hodgson hit today? I could not tell if he hit him in the head but I think it was with out question late. I am thinking Hodgson is done for the season and will most likely be sitting a few games to start next season.

I would also think Ryan Hutchinson will be getting suspended as well for kicking Evan's helmet completely across the ice (nearly in the stands) and breaking the visor off it. Then throwing a chair 15 feet down the run way when exiting the ice.
Looks like Baker will be busy tomoorow and Tuesday dealing with Hodgson,Hutchinson,
Rupert and Cousins, and thats the ones we know about

Old
02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Looks like Baker will be busy tomoorow and Tuesday dealing with Hodgson,Hutchinson,
Rupert and Cousins, and thats the ones we know about
He certainly will be, I can not remember a weekend this season where this many incidents called for being reviewed.

Old
02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Otters Fan

Quote:
What do other posters think about the Hodgson hit today? I could not tell if he hit him in the head but I think it was with out question late. I am thinking Hodgson is done for the season and will most likely be sitting a few games to start next season.

I would also think Ryan Hutchinson will be getting suspended as well for kicking Evan's helmet completely across the ice (nearly in the stands) and breaking the visor off it. Then throwing a chair 15 feet down the run way when exiting the ice.
I heard the hit but didnt see it as it was away from the play some. I watched the re-play of it and it and it looked like he left his skates and launched into him. Problem is the angle they showed was from the hips up and you couldnt tell for sure.Plus you couldn't tell if he went to the head or not.

One thing i could not understand was he wasn't penalized for the hit. He got an instigator and a game misconduct. How do you get an instagator when you dont get a penalty for the hit and two guys come after you swinging?
It got out of hand in a hurry though. Not too often you see the ref's pushing guys off the ice so hard the players fall down.
At least they played hard the whole game and were missing Pelch-Fox-Brown

Old
02-25-2013, 09:17 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

35 goals against in the last 4 games alone! that's where this team needs to focus for next years goalies, these 2 are a complete write off! Giving up way too many soft goals that any OHL or JR. A goalie should be saving. Ok-fine the team out front is not doing so well, but stop the excuses, these 2 have just become hacks and yes part of the issue needs to be focused on their world classless goalie coach! That aside, lack of character, lack of experience, lack of effort, lack of results. 2 practice goalies, don't give me this about 2 upcoming NHL prospects as they can't play at the OHL level with any consistency!

Old
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
35 goals against in the last 4 games alone! that's where this team needs to focus for next years goalies, these 2 are a complete write off! Giving up way too many soft goals that any OHL or JR. A goalie should be saving. Ok-fine the team out front is not doing so well, but stop the excuses, these 2 have just become hacks and yes part of the issue needs to be focused on their world classless goalie coach! That aside, lack of character, lack of experience, lack of effort, lack of results. 2 practice goalies, don't give me this about 2 upcoming NHL prospects as they can't play at the OHL level with any consistency!
I don't care if your Patrick Roy,if you face 45+ shots a night you can't blame the goalies. Has Dansk giving up some soft goals these last few games? Yes but he also didn't play for almost 2 months.So i'm willing to cut him some slack.The team defense is the worst in the O by far.
Yes i agree 100% they need to get rid of Sid,but thats not going to solve everything thats wrong on D. These kids need to want to play defense,and right now so very few of them want to play let alone play hard on defense.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
I don't care if your Patrick Roy,if you face 45+ shots a night you can't blame the goalies. Has Dansk giving up some soft goals these last few games? Yes but he also didn't play for almost 2 months.So i'm willing to cut him some slack.The team defense is the worst in the O by far.
Yes i agree 100% they need to get rid of Sid,but thats not going to solve everything thats wrong on D. These kids need to want to play defense,and right now so very few of them want to play let alone play hard on defense.
The funny thing is defense has little to do with skill....great defending is about hard work and discipline to your position.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:44 PM
KnightSpit

This Year And Next Year D and Other Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
Who did they have in camp that they didn't keep that would have helped? Other than Murphy he is the only one that i don't understand why they don't have him up and playing.
Otters Fan, you make a good point. I started to follow that Murphy Kid when someone on here said they sent him back to Junior in Port some where or whatever. But looked up the kids stats, 42 games played 36 points as a D, 12 goals and 24 assists and you guys are not using him with a team that has guys who are Minus 57 on D. If I were that kid, or his agent, I would demand a trade or release and I am telling you, either the Spits, that have real D issues as well, or the Khnights would grab the kid in a second. I hope it would be London.

Think you guys also should not have let Olden go, regardless of age, he is the type of player that McDavid, good feed the puck to. Still think you guys have a great fan base. If you had the team the Knight had in Erie, man your city would go nuts and you know what your city deserves a team like London, cause your support is unbelievable. I guess you guys will still have the same coach next year. Also, still think that Harper kid is a top 3.
Good luck next year and hope McDavaid is able to play some Spring Hockey and here's hoping if you live in Erie you can provide good training camp coverage and updates. cause I think all OHL teams would like to see McDavid suceed as it is good for the leauge as a whole. Before I go, Knight will win the OHL title and will also bring home a Memorial Cup.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:45 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Otters Fan, you make a good point. I started to follow that Murphy Kid when someone on here said they sent him back to Junior in Port some where or whatever. But looked up the kids stats, 42 games played 36 points as a D, 12 goals and 24 assists and you guys are not using him with a team that has guys who are Minus 57 on D. If I were that kid, or his agent, I would demand a trade or release and I am telling you, either the Spits, that have real D issues as well, or the Khnights would grab the kid in a second. I hope it would be London.

Think you guys also should not have let Olden go, regardless of age, he is the type of player that McDavid, good feed the puck to. Still think you guys have a great fan base. If you had the team the Knight had in Erie, man your city would go nuts and you know what your city deserves a team like London, cause your support is unbelievable. I guess you guys will still have the same coach next year. Also, still think that Harper kid is a top 3.
Good luck next year and hope McDavaid is able to play some Spring Hockey and here's hoping if you live in Erie you can provide good training camp coverage and updates. cause I think all OHL teams would like to see McDavid suceed as it is good for the leauge as a whole. Before I go, Knight will win the OHL title and will also bring home a Memorial Cup.
Patrick Murphy was brought up for a handful of games but in all honesty he looked shaky defensively, he may have great offensive upside and I to think that maybe he should have been given more of a chance but he was no better than the 6th d-man in Erie when he was here.
Olden was certainly a mistake, Kuleshov has got maybe one shift in the last five games and he will not be on the team come next season. I honestly feel bad for the kid, moves across the world at 17 and sits the bench all game. I agree that I think Olden and McDavid would have been a great pairing together because Olden had a lot of speed just like McDavid.
Harper has potential but has played lazy and it shows. 24 goals last season and he will be lucky to get more than 21 this year. He has dropped significantly in the Central Scouting, at one point he was in the first round but I think he will be lucky to go in the 3rd at this point. The kid has potential but needs some conditioning and training in the off season. (As does the entire team).
Lastly, while London is obviously a great team and has a good chance to win it all, I think Plymouth, Owen Sound, and Kitchener will be a tough to beat come playoff time.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:53 PM
ottergolfer

Oden's agent told him the scouts said he took a few shifts off each game . Ftorek told him he thought Oden took every shift off ...so gone...

Bassin's relies on hearsay ,I think, to pick his Russian players. He has not had a good one since Nikita Alexeev.

Dansk suffered from the injury early in the season and lack of playing during the worlds,but ask any of the leagues snipers and they will tell you he drops early and can be beaten glove side high with ease. He also plays deep in the crease and has poor rebound control some nights. Sunday afternoon ,the one goal was a poor rebound and a missed poke check as he flopped out of position.
The record of the Otters and lack of team defense has worn on him and he is looking for the season to end and move on to the A H L .
I do not see Columbus sending him back here .

The Players and some fans get on the Fans that chirp the play of the team..what the Erie fans do is minor compared to what they will hear if they play like this in the show. the Maple leafs and Canadians press is 100% more brutal than Erie"s times news

Old
02-26-2013, 07:42 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

The AHL snipers will welcome Dansk with open arms, he didn't play much in the worlds for a reason. He's the typical Euro, if I'm wrong? well we'll soon see. Another reason the Euro draft needs to end, we have more than enough home grown talent in North America.

Way to go Sherwood. Dansk, O'den-who's next. You can't choose based on hear say or on one game played 2 years ago. FOR SHAME Sherwood, FOR SHAME. Hope your golf game is better than the shell game your playing here in Erie.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Crottenham

Here's a great piece re what it takes to prevent goals....

"I think the biggest part is everyone is buying into the system. We have guys laying down to block shots and taking a big hit to clear the puck. I think that shows a lot.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...-penalty-kill/

Old
02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Here's a great piece re what it takes to prevent goals....

"I think the biggest part is everyone is buying into the system. We have guys laying down to block shots and taking a big hit to clear the puck. I think that shows a lot.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...-penalty-kill/
Thanks for this. Excellent piece.

Mark Fraser et al. Shutdown D. Hard to play against. Underrated. Not just for killing penalties either. This kind of play puts a team on an offensive footing even strength as well as it results in much fewer SOG and quick outlets.

Ask Darryl Sutter if the LA Kings went deep in June and won the cup because of Doughty or Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene? Or Julien in Boston if they won the cup the year before that because of McQuaid and Chara or Ferrence?

Yet folks in Toronto still scratch their heads wondering why Liles and Gardener aren't in the top 6 when they played 25 mins per game under Ron Wilson last year.

Erie can do the same.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
dharry
Rookie User

This is a very good perspective and article. Erie is 17th in league PK. PK starts first with goaltending, supported by strong D, then last strong defensive minded fwds. On PK the difficulty is too often the Otters D cannot handle the pressure in front of and behind the net, which causes forwards to over-cover and collapse. We also use our smaller guys (sometimes too offensive minded on PK) on PK - fast, but not necessarily strong enough to muscle the player or puck. Pettit is going to be an excellent PK guy in the future - but consistent with so many other comments on this site - the D is the weak link, especially without Pelech. Strengthen the D, give your goalies a chance, and allow the forwards to do their job.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
OHLFan8771

Well after Rupert gets 10 games I would think Hodgson would get no more than that. Rupert's hit sounds worse and he is a repeat offender. But we all know Branch is not exactly consistent in any way with suspensions.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
OHLFan8771

Hodgson gets 10 games and while I am not surprised in the least bit I do disagree with it only because his hit is not comparable to London Knights player Rupert. Rupert launched himself one foot in the air and made contact with the head, plus he is more than a repeat offender. Hodgson's hit was certainly late but it did not appear he left his feet, and he has never had a suspension in the past.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Hodgson gets 10 games and while I am not surprised in the least bit I do disagree with it only because his hit is not comparable to London Knights player Rupert. Rupert launched himself one foot in the air and made contact with the head, plus he is more than a repeat offender. Hodgson's hit was certainly late but it did not appear he left his feet, and he has never had a suspension in the past.
Typical OHL,Rupert should have got 20,his hit was as bad/dangerous as Kuhnhackl
or Kassians,Hodgson got ripped should have been 5

Old
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Typical OHL,Rupert should have got 20,his hit was as bad/dangerous as Kuhnhackl
or Kassians,Hodgson got ripped should have been 5
I agree with you here, Ruperts hit was not as bad as Kassian's but in my opinion was worse than Kuhnhackl's. I hate to be the one to say it but time and time again players from London receive "questionable" leniency on suspensions. I know other fans will disagree but that is how I see it now with Rinaldo hit on Yogan, Rupert's slash on cousins, Raine and his muy thai knee, and now this one just to name a few.
I do not necessarily disagree with the 10 for Hodgson although 7 (remainder of the season) would have been fair; I just can't see how he gets the same as Rupert.

Evans will also be sitting two games so this weekend Erie will be without Brown, Hodgson, Pelech, Evans, and Felker.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
dharry
Rookie User

....and if I am not mistaken, Fox for Friday.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:26 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharry View Post
....and if I am not mistaken, Fox for Friday.
Yes you are correct. Fox slipped my mind.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:19 PM
sbrug

Quote:
I agree with you here, Ruperts hit was not as bad as Kassian's but in my opinion was worse than Kuhnhackl's. I hate to be the one to say it but time and time again players from London receive "questionable" leniency on suspensions. I know other fans will disagree but that is how I see it now with Rinaldo hit on Yogan, Rupert's slash on cousins, Raine and his muy thai knee, and now this one just to name a few.
I do not necessarily disagree with the 10 for Hodgson although 7 (remainder of the season) would have been fair; I just can't see how he gets the same as Rupert.

Evans will also be sitting two games so this weekend Erie will be without Brown, Hodgson, Pelech, Evans, and Felker.
What about Pelech's cross check to the back of Elie's head (twice)?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:38 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
What about Pelech's cross check to the back of Elie's head (twice)?
What about it? He is serving a five game suspension for it. The reason he went after Elie was because earlier in the game he hit Brown in the head (uncalled) and Brown has yet to play since. Another note from that was the officials did not original give Pelech the major but after the refs viewed replay on the jumbo tron (which is against league rules to show replays of fights and scrums) they dished it out. Comparing Rupert's slash to Pelech cross check I think Ruperts was much worse, he chopped at Cousins with an axe like swing and then jumped him when he was on the ice; not to mention the game was over.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:59 PM
sbrug

Quote:
What about it? He is serving a five game suspension for it. The reason he went after Elie was because earlier in the game he hit Brown in the head (uncalled) and Brown has yet to play since. Another note from that was the officials did not original give Pelech the major but after the refs viewed replay on the jumbo tron (which is against league rules to show replays of fights and scrums) they dished it out. Comparing Rupert's slash to Pelech cross check I think Ruperts was much worse, he chopped at Cousins with an axe like swing and then jumped him when he was on the ice; not to mention the game was over.
I meant how long do you think Pelech should have been suspended. Most non biased fans believe he deserved more than 5 games. Unsuspecting player, intent to injure and premeditated.

In fact, you are right about the rules regarding replays after penalties. In this case, I think it worked out for the better. I saw Elie's hit live and on replay several times. Ask anyone at the game that day, it was shoulder to shoulder. Is Brown concussed?

Cousins got 4 games hitting a player from behind, head contact, into the glass. You'll notice some yahoos on the London board on jrahockey.com swearing and complaining about that saying Branch hates the Knights. Do those people have credibility when they proclaim another team has unfair advantages?

Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrister39 View Post
I meant how long do you think Pelech should have been suspended. Most non biased fans believe he deserved more than 5 games. Unsuspecting player, intent to injure and premeditated.

In fact, you are right about the rules regarding replays after penalties. In this case, I think it worked out for the better. I saw Elie's hit live and on replay several times. Ask anyone at the game that day, it was shoulder to shoulder. Is Brown concussed?

Cousins got 4 games hitting a player from behind, head contact, into the glass. You'll notice some yahoos on the London board on jrahockey.com swearing and complaining about that saying Branch hates the Knights. Do those people have credibility when they proclaim another team has unfair advantages?
I would say 5 games for Pelech was maybe a little light, perhaps 6 or 7 would have been better. I say that because he did cross check twice but it was not full throttle to the head. It seemed to be more of trying to get him to fight but none the less not a good penalty for Pelech to take and yes Brown has a concussion and has not played since that hit.
I agree that the replay did work out to get the right calls but that still violates the league rule but to be honest I have no idea what punishment the league would hand down for that rule infraction. Perhaps it raises the question should officials be allowed to view the replay before the call? The officiating in the league has been relatively bad for years so maybe that would help.
I did not see the Cousins hit so I can not really comment on that. I just heard it was the average hit from behind.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:02 AM
OHLFan8771

Did anyone else read Baker's statements on why Hodgson was given 10 games? He said "Ikonen was unsuspecting" I am pretty sure that is not against the rules to hit a player with their head down or are not ready to be hit and also "the hit caused an injury", yes it did but I just do not agree with the fact to suspend a player on the injury caused by the hit. I'll admit I thought it was late but Baker said nothing about that in his decision.
According to him Hodgson did not leave his feet, nor was the head a point of contact. 10 games seems steep based on Bakers explanation. Time and time again it seems that no matter the nature of the hit (for any team or player) the injury plays far to big of a role in the suspension. It is a physical sport and these injuries are going to happen.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:14 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Is there anyone home?
Just the basic facts!
Can you show me where it hurts?

Closed Thread