HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa Tomahawks

Old
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
specialteams

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Lmao at Tony House. If we are thinking about the same guy, huge ****ing *******.
Think he's well respected in the city apparently not according to you? He played, now a HS coach runs Rautins-House Basketball School thought he would be good name of course along with Dave Smart to get involved with the team in some capacity. Dave probably isn't leaving Carleton has it very good there obviously.

specialteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Team1200's Jason York favours the name Musky or Muskie but it might offend the players

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskellunge

Partial quote for reference:
Nope, racist it comes from an Ojibwa word.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

I messaged Ian Campeau. Curious to see what his issue with the name is. Always 2 sides to a story. We shall see...

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Nope, racist it comes from an Ojibwa word.
Indeed.

Bytown Cordless Drills.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

vCash: 50
We shall henceforth rename all of franchises.

Ottawa Basketball Team
Ottawa Baseball Team
Ottawa Soccer also known as Football Team
Ottawa National including parts of the United States of America Hockey League Team
Ottawa Canadian inclusive of English, French, First Nations, Metis and 'new' Canadians Football League Team

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Well, that didn't take too long.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

All rebuttal arguments when someone claims your team name to be derogatory, racist, etc. should be, "At least were not named the Redskins."

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Upgrayedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
We shall henceforth rename all of franchises.

Ottawa Basketball Team
Ottawa Baseball Team
Ottawa Soccer also known as Football Team
Ottawa National including parts of the United States of America Hockey League Team
Ottawa Canadian inclusive of English, French, First Nations, Metis and 'new' Canadians Football League Team
Some of these seem somewhat bland and may insult the "fun and excited" folks, allthough that last one really has a nice ring to it!

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:22 PM
george8it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
OK, I threw the "That's Racist" gif out as a . Didn't they'd take me seriously. Teh internets these days.

Ottawa Ottawans would be a great name, here's the team song.

Problem is "Ottawa" is a native word. That would be bad to call them the "Ottawans".

george8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Call them the Ottawa Rough Riders and have the players shave the letter R into their hair for every game. Problem solved.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Call them the Ottawa Rough Riders and have the players shave the letter R into their hair for every game. Problem solved.
Guys with stuff shaved into there heads? They'd never survive in Ottawa.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeMyJetpack View Post
if thor's head were a basketball and he wasnt wearing a helmet this is what he would look like.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialteams View Post
Think he's well respected in the city apparently not according to you? He played, now a HS coach runs Rautins-House Basketball School thought he would be good name of course along with Dave Smart to get involved with the team in some capacity. Dave probably isn't leaving Carleton has it very good there obviously.
I dont think you'll find a shortage of people in this city that think Tony House is a *********.

anyone else find the article in the sun or citizen discussing the team funny, in that Kev Evraire is specifically contracted to handle branding?
a nice big article and BOOOM! first day branding disaster....

the quotes from the article make it very entertaining...."we didnt want to over focus group this" yet they did want to immediately overreact and hit the eject button....

Old
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Droc
Classless

And the political correct BS in this city downs yet another decent name...I guess red black was taken?

Droc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:34 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Lets just be the Crackers

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Lets just be the Crackers
I think people would get salty over this.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
SilverSeven

This is beyond pathetic. Considering this team will likely fold in a year anyway he should just name it the Ottawa White Guilt.

Seriously amazing how much talk an NBL (WTF is the NBL) team is getting.

A lot of big hockey fans cant be bothered to drive there for a game against Carolina, yet they think people will drive there for 5th tier basketball?

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
if they are hoping to get a positive reaction with the fans... they should just not reveal the name.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:02 PM
LadyM
I ain't even mad

The drama surrounding the name is ridiculous, was reading earlier how Mayor Watson didn't support the name and neither did the NBL league. But the Ottawa owners still went with it. They got positive reviews on the logo, so they might be keeping that.

Article: Mayor, league lobbied against name

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
This is beyond pathetic. Considering this team will likely fold in a year anyway he should just name it the Ottawa White Guilt.

Seriously amazing how much talk an NBL (WTF is the NBL) team is getting.

A lot of big hockey fans cant be bothered to drive there for a game against Carolina, yet they think people will drive there for 5th tier basketball?
NBL = National Basketball League of Canada. It's a Canadian professional men's basketball league founded in 2011.

It's just a one year contract, I'm sure once the Civic Centre is finished they'll move there or somewhere else. Give it a chance before you knock it. I'm not much of a basketball fan, not anymore anyways but I think this is great. More professional sports teams in Ottawa is a good thing.

LadyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Sick Dangle
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I messaged Ian Campeau. Curious to see what his issue with the name is. Always 2 sides to a story. We shall see...
I'm keen to see how he can live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. 3 native words right there.

I don't believe this is about racism or about being an offensive name. It's a show of anger.

Who can blame Native Canadians for being furious with the world? Their displacement and treatment is a horrible chapter in our nation's history and we haven't found a way to make it right. Many will naturally fight any attempt by non-natives to use even innocuous connections to their heritage for financial gain.

Sick Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Dangle View Post
I'm keen to see how he can live in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. 3 native words right there.

I don't believe this is about racism or about being an offensive name. It's a show of anger.

Who can blame Native Canadians for being furious with the world? Their displacement and treatment is a horrible chapter in our nation's history and we haven't found a way to make it right. Many will naturally fight any attempt by non-natives to use even innocuous connections to their heritage for financial gain.
Fully agree on the big picture, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:18 AM
misha1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I have never understood the "OMG RACIST" thing about calling sports teams things like the Braves, Blackhawks and "Tomahawks". You're giving the highest level of sports, a competition where people are working together towards being the best at something, a name that is if anything a compliment towards whatever it is being named.

Christ, people are ridiculous these days.
Doesn't it depend? I think the Blackhawks have a great logo and a great name that looks hard ass and also respects native people. The only hardcore Hawks fan I know is himself native

The whole war whoop, painting yourself red and doing a tomahawk chop thing with the Braves back in the day is racist. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't think it is. If there were a team called the Gangsters and it's fans wore black face and caricatured ghetto clothes while doing some ebonics type chant, wouldn't that too be racist? I'm confused.

It seems to me that while some people see racism behind everything, others, in the name of anti-political correctness (whatever that means) like to pretend it doesn't exist at all.

misha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Dangle View Post

Id like to find an instance in the history of conquest, which is really humanity's entire history where the conquered got a real fair shake.
Every modern country,race, and creed on earth is probably guilty in one fashion or another of horrific crimes against humanity.
nobody is saying now that it was right, and attempts to make it right certainly have been made including land rights, billions every year in transfer payments from the rest of canada's taxpayers, tax free status. etc.

its not a simple fix but nor should everyone walk around staring at their feet as if they were personally responsible for the past. that's nonsense.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1976 View Post
The whole war whoop, painting yourself red and doing a tomahawk chop thing with the Braves back in the day is racist. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't think it is. If there were a team called the Gangsters and it's fans wore black face and caricatured ghetto clothes while doing some ebonics type chant, wouldn't that too be racist? I'm confused.
How is what you described above racist? It's a team mascot. Your statement about gangsters is more racist than the Braves mascot. People just need to learn to deal with context and intent. There's a huge difference between the two things you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Id like to find an instance in the history of conquest, which is really humanity's entire history where the conquered got a real fair shake.
Every modern country,race, and creed on earth is probably guilty in one fashion or another of horrific crimes against humanity.
nobody is saying now that it was right, and attempts to make it right certainly have been made including land rights, billions every year in transfer payments from the rest of canada's taxpayers, tax free status. etc.

its not a simple fix but nor should everyone walk around staring at their feet as if they were personally responsible for the past. that's nonsense.
Yeah...it's kind of ridiculous. What can you do though? People spend way too much time focusing on fixing past mistakes that have no fix than focusing on making the present and future a better place.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Sick Dangle
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

I don't think anyone believes they're personally responsible for the past. What they do believe is, during any heated debate involving ethnic minorities, people are afraid to speak up for what they believe.

They stare at their feet because they're scared to be fired or labelled a disgusting racist if the PC police gets their talons into them.

Example: "I have observed that most black people are great dancers." PC Police: "You racist piece of ****."

Example: "I think Tomahawks is a cool name for our team." PC Police: "4 guys on twitter say you're a racist. So, you know what? You're a racist!"

Sick Dangle is offline   Reply With Quote