HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How/what to name 4 re-aligned groupings?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
The CyNick
Follow @ TheCyNick

vCash: 500
Would love to go back to norris, adams, etc, but realize its in the best interest of the league to use geographical badges.

What lebrun said makes perfect sense. I will rock a maple leafs central division champion shirt

Old
02-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
I have trouble believing that the names of the divisions was what made hockey "awesome" for you in the 90s.
I didn't suggest the names are what made early-90s hockey awesome.

I'm saying that the NHL was pretty great back then, and whatever they can do to get back to that greatness -- including throwback division names -- would be a positive.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...s.html?cmp=rss

CBC taking poll on division/conference names. "Classics", "New Classics" or "Geographical".

Old
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernb View Post
Is this where someone points out that those names only existed for 20 years of the NHL's entire existence?
So? I was a die-hard hockey fan as a kid in the 80s and early 90s. That was an ideal time before the NHL turned into a big sunbelt-obsessed ****fest. It was a time when you could like hockey for *hockey* and not have to worry about Gary Bettman doing insane things in the name of "growing the game" or a team existing in the middle of the ****ing desert or any of that garbage.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

CBC taking poll on division/conference names. "Classics", "New Classics" or "Geographical".
Gracias. I voted for classics.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Atlantic, East, Midwest/Central, Pacific is the obvious choice
Then what are you naming the two conferences? West and Other?

Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
cbcwpg

Since everyone has an opinion, I'm for naming the divisions after 4 people (IMO) who changed the game...

Bobby Orr - changed the way defense was played forever. Greatest of all time.

Jacques Plante - invented the goalie mask and became the 1st goalie to regularly play the puck outside the net.

Stan Mikita - the father of the curved stick ( some dispute this claim ). Changed goal scoring and allowed for higher velocity shots. You think goal scoring is down today... imagine what it would be like if the NHL was still using straight sticks.

Borje Salming - The 1st great European in the NHL. His playing here helped to diminish stereotypes and set the stage for more Swedes and all Europeans to come the NHL, and as a result the influence of the European skill game took hockey from the goon hockey to a more skilled game.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Since everyone has an opinion, I'm for naming the divisions after 4 people (IMO) who changed the game...

Jacques Plante - invented the goalie mask and became the 1st goalie to regularly play the puck outside the net.

Stan Mikita - the father of the curved stick ( some dispute this claim ). Changed goal scoring and allowed for higher velocity shots. You think goal scoring is down today... imagine what it would be like if the NHL was still using straight sticks.

Borje Salming - The 1st great European in the NHL. His playing here helped to diminish stereotypes and set the stage for more Swedes and all Europeans to come the NHL, and as a result the influence of the European skill game took hockey from the goon hockey to a more skilled game.
So, I guess to be fair, the group containing Montreal, Toronto, and Boston would have to be named the Makita division. That way, all three of those teams and Chicago would be playing in divisions not named for their "great" player.

But heck, when we had the dead owner divisions, Toronto never got to be in the Smythe division.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post

But Lester Patrick arguably changed the game more than any of them, so why should he not get his division back?

02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Jetsfan79

Pacific
Central
Atlantic
American

Central would be the division with Chicago.

Atlantic would be the former northeast - Toronto, MTL, BOS etc. If you really think about it, it's very fitting since the divsion would span the whole atlantic coast from north to south (down to the Florida teams)

The American division would have the NY teams. Very fitting for a few reasons. 1. The tie-in with a NY team once being called the Americans 2. Its the only division with all American teams including historic and patriotic cities like Washington and Philly - even Columbus ( heck just look at their jersey - it screams of an "american division" team) . 3. Good for marketing/selling the game with TV in the U.S....."Tonight a classic American division tilt between Philadelphia and New York!!!"...

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 02-27-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Eastern (Toronto division)
Atlantic (Rangers division)
Central (hawks division)
Pacific or Western (kings division)

Old
02-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Antaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
Pacific
Central
Atlantic
American

Atlantic would be the former northeast - Toronto, MTL, BOS etc. If you really think about it, it's very fitting since the divsion would span the whole atlantic coast from north to south (down to the Florida teams)

The American division would have the NY teams. Very fitting for a few reasons. 1. The tie-in with a NY team once being called the Americans 2. Its the only division with all American teams including historic and patriotic cities like Washington and Philly - even Columbus ( heck just look at their jersey - it screams of an "american division" team) . 3. Good for marketing/selling the game with TV in the U.S....."Tonight a classic American division tilt between Philadelphia and New York!!!"...
^^^This

Since I heard of NHL's division names with "Mid-West", I wanted Chicago to keep its division name, and have the MTL/BOS/FLO division called "Atlantic" for the exact reasons Jetsfan79 mentioned. But I could never come up with a name for the PHI/NY division so I never bothered posting anything.

"American" division is a perfect fit.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:

I'm honestly surprised to see so many people voting for geographical there.

I like the Classics idea and I love the New Classics (mind you it's mostly because I want to see the Flyers be forced to play in a division named after a Penguin), but the geographical names just always rubbed me as sterile.

That and the names become difficult with the conferences back in play. The Atlantic can be the Atlantic with no problem and the Pacific can be the Pacific with no problem...but aside from that it's difficult. You can't have an East Division within the Eastern Conference...but you can't call it the Northeast while having teams in Florida and Michigan in it.

The Midwest Division is a hilarious name to me, considering there's only 3 teams from that division that's actually in the broad term 'Midwest'...but the Mid-West that I consider has only 3 teams - 2 of which wouldn't be in that division (as a Pennsylvanian the states I see as the Mid-West follow the borders of north of the Ohio River, west of Pennsylvania, and east of the Mississippi: Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, & Wisconsin...but I can buy Minnesota being involved in that because of the Mississippi River rule, but to name it that without Detroit or Columbus being in it is just hilarious).

edit: You're not going to have an Atlantic Division involving teams that were never in the [current] Atlantic Division. That would be needlessly confusing and not fix any redundancy issues. That division has far more teams nowhere near the Atlantic Ocean than the actual Atlantic Division will. While it's funny to see Columbus in a division named the 'Atlantic' instead of Florida or Boston it doesn't makes less sense when things are taken on the whole - Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal...compare that to 6 out of 8 teams in the proposed Patrick/Atlantic that are within an hour or two of the Atlantic Ocean.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 02-27-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I personally don't care what they call the divisions.... It's meaningless in the grand scheme I things.

Call them Gretzky, Howe, Orr, East, West, A, B, 1, 2......

Whatever. Don't care.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

I used to be opposed to the Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr division names, but they have sort of grown on me. Really, what makes the old names so great other than tradition?

They can name em what they like, but I still think I would prefer just boring geographical names.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:40 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
or Wind, Earth, Fire, and Water.
Only if we switch the Stanley Cup with the Hart.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Then what are you naming the two conferences? West and Other?
Wales and Campbell!

Old
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

C'mon folks, let's try to refrain from the ridiculous names for the potential re-aligned groupings please? Getting tiresome...

Old
02-28-2013, 07:19 PM
CBCnutcase

No divisions, just 2 conferences, west and east. It is simple and straight forward.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've always thought it was funny areas well east of Nashville were considered the Mid West.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:06 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I've always thought it was funny areas well east of Nashville were considered the Mid West.
And a friend of mine from Mobile is prone to thinking that it's odd that Tennesseans consider themselves southerners when they live so far north of him.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:16 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe

Old
03-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Corey Perry*

Pacific
MidWest
Atlantic
Other

or

John
Paul
Ringo
George

Old
03-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan79 View Post
Pacific
Central
Atlantic
American

I like all of this.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:40 PM
hockeypuck2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe

Closed Thread