HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Flyers interest in Byfuglien

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
TMLFC
TheLuckySock-2016

vCash: 50
I wanna see the Buff in the playoffs again.

Get him rolling and throw him up on Fwd for a few shifts and/or PP.

Couts, Laughton + 2nd = Is a rough sendout for Philly, but the return is immediate help.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Buff to Philly starts with Courterier and a first. I can't see any other asset absent Simmonds that Winnipeg would want assuming Giroux is untouchable. This isn't one where you package Laughton and a first, or Laughton, Cousins and a second. You have to give to get.
I better be getting a lifetime supply of beer too. Lifetime supply of booze for everyone in Philly as well.

Technically, both sides have to give to get. Why am I giving high end if I'm getting meh back?

And yes, Buff is meh. Let's not start pretending he's Pietrangelo, Weber, Bogosian, or Doughty.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:37 PM
HawkeyFanatic

He was spot on last time Buff was traded

Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Bryzard of Oz

Picture a big, fat Matt Carle with a better shot who is worse defensively. The Flyers lack a defensively responsible blue line - this trade WOULD NOT help in that aspect.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I better be getting a lifetime supply of beer too. Lifetime supply of booze for everyone in Philly as well.

Technically, both sides have to give to get. Why am I giving high end if I'm getting meh back?

And yes, Buff is meh. Let's not start pretending he's Pietrangelo, Weber, Bogosian, or Doughty.
I like Simmonds, but he is high end and Buff is not? Buff's an all-star, and been one of the best offensive defenseman in the game for the last few years.

Saying he is meh, while Simmonds is high end is pretty homerish.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzard of Oz View Post
Picture a big, fat Matt Carle with a better shot who is worse defensively. The Flyers lack a defensively responsible blue line - this trade WOULD NOT help in that aspect.
We have plenty of defensively responsible defensemen.

We lack mobile defensemen that can move the puck as Laviolette's system is designed.

Mobility is not Buff's department, so definitely no, unless it's like for Cousins + 2nd.

I want no part of Buff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I like Simmonds, but he is high end and Buff is not? Buff's an all-star, and been one of the best offensive defenseman in the game for the last few years.

It's based on team needs. Buff is not what we need. He's actually the opposite.

Also, Simmonds is arguably the Flyers' best forward. I don't think that qualifies as "meh." If you're reading the stat real, then you don't know the half of it. Ask LA fans if you don't believe the Flyers' ones.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:40 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Dude, I want Philly to lose every frickin game, but he would be a perfect fit there. Sorry a collection of crap, questionable prospects and low picks won't do it. If Winnipeg is trading him and I don't see it happening, it better be something significant coming back. You have to be giving up a Simmonds or a Couterier plus in this. Sorry, players like Max Talbot and Brayden Schenn or Gustaffson won't do it.

Old
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
He was spot on last time Buff was traded
Yeah, but Eklund is claiming that the Flyers are interested in Buff. Firstly, it takes two to tango and even then, both teams need to have reasonable expectations on the value.

I fully believe that Eklund's source in Philly has overheard mention of a guy like Buff as a player to target, but I'm just not sure how much further that goes.

Old
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Would be something else to see the man that caused the Flyers absolute fits in the SCF a few years ago play for them though. I already had to suffer through seeing Versteeg go to Philadelphia.
So did all the Flyer fans. He was terrible here.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:41 PM
SchennSational1022*

Quote:

Byfuglien makes me weary because of his weight. He seems like he doesnt care and doesnt try to better himself. He also comes off as lazy and extremely one dimensional. If im giving up Voracek(previously mentioned), Byfuglien is far from who the defensemen I want coming back.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Sorry, players like Max Talbot and Brayden Schenn or Gustaffson won't do it.
Players of very similar values. Good call.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Dude, I want Philly to lose every frickin game, but he would be a perfect fit there. Sorry a collection of crap, questionable prospects and low picks won't do it. If Winnipeg is trading him and I don't see it happening, it better be something significant coming back. You have to be giving up a Simmonds or a Couterier plus in this. Sorry, players like Max Talbot and Brayden Schenn or Gustaffson won't do it.
Bold is the single most wrong thing I've seen on this board all day, and I've seen a lot of today.

Buff does not fit in the Flyers' system. He's the furthest thing from what we need.

And no, we're definitely not giving up Simmonds or Couturier for a #3 defenseman.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
NewLife
what if doobie?

vCash: 50
If I was in charge of Philly a would go after another type of d-man, I mean he isn't know to be rock solid in the defensive part of the game and isn't that Phillys' problem?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Players of very similar values. Good call.
It depends on what you think of Brayden Schenn. The fact I lumped him with the other two should tell you what I think of him as a player. I'm sure you will disagree.

Bottom line, it would take a major piece going back to Winnipeg and that piece wouldn't involve a Schenn - either one of them.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Bold is the single most wrong thing I've seen on this board all day, and I've seen a lot of today.

Buff does not fit in the Flyers' system. He's the furthest thing from what we need.

And no, we're definitely not giving up Simmonds or Couturier for a #3 defenseman.
No offense, I've seen your defense. He is better than a #3 in Philadelphia. Coburn and Buff would be your top two. Don't try to sell me on Timonen or Schenn being better.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I've seen your defense. He is better than a #3 in Philadelphia.
So he's better than #3 in Pittsburgh too eh?

I've seen your defense...and your goaltending...and your...

See how stupid this argument is yet?

Buff has no real value to the Flyers unless he's cheap. We need a #1 mobile PMD if not two-way. Buff is not mobile and the problem with our backend right now is mostly a lack of mobility.

Quote:
No offense, I've seen your defense. He is better than a #3 in Philadelphia. Coburn and Buff would be your top two. Don't try to sell me on Timonen or Schenn being better.
Shows how much you've "seen."

Timonen and Schenn are our best two defensemen right now.

Coburn has been playing crappy this season. Grossmann has been meh.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Comparing Schenn to Talbot and Guss tells me you have had 40oz of straight Goose before watching the Flyers !

Jets dont want to trade Buff and he is no where near 1st choice of what Flyer fans want , not much to see here.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
And If Pittsburgh wants to acquire a #1 winger, they're going to have to give up something significant too. Players like Dupuis, Kennedy, Pouliot, or Letang won't do it.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Snotbubbles

Would rather have Tobias Enstrom over Byfuglien.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
And If Pittsburgh wants to acquire a #1 winger, they're going to have to give up something significant too. Players like Dupuis, Kennedy, Pouliot, or Letang won't do it.
Bravo.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Quote:

It's based on team needs. Buff is not what we need. He's actually the opposite.

Also, Simmonds is arguably the Flyers' best forward. I don't think that qualifies as "meh." If you're reading the stat real, then you don't know the half of it. Ask LA fans if you don't believe the Flyers' ones.
So now it's based on team needs that Buff is meh? You said that the Flyers were giving high end and getting meh back, that speaks nothing to needs. That's just another lame insult to Buff.

I already said that I liked Simmonds, I never said he was meh. I think that you're out to lunch if you think Simmonds is high end and Buff is meh. Your ability to rationally compare and value players is lacking if that's your comparison to their worth's.

Quote:

If he doesn't fit a need, that's cool. Saying he's a #3 D man now? A number 3 D man, or just a number 3 on the Flyers? Either way that's a totally untrue statement and I'm guessing now that anyone can be on Hockey Future's Staff.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
If he doesn't fit a need, that's cool. Saying he's a #3 D man now? A number 3 D man, or just a number 3 on the Flyers? Either way that's a totally untrue statement and I'm guessing now that anyone can be on Hockey Future's Staff.
Prove to me that Buff is #1 defenseman.

My body is ready.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
Are the Jets remotely interested in moving Byfuglien? I'd be surprised if that were the case.

He's a beast.
I could see it happening next year, but only if Trouba keeps progressing like he has.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Prove to me that Buff is #1 defenseman.

My body is ready.
While I'm not his biggest fan and wouldn't want to give up the assets to acquire him, he is a #1 dman (albeit a low one IMO).

Plays against top competition, positive CORSI when he's on the ice, and an elite point producer at ES.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Timonen is absolutely better, and it isn't really close--though obviousy he isn't a great long-term option .

I'm not really sure that I see Byfuglien as a great fit--and I definitely wouldn't want the Flyers to pay the price required to get him.

On the other hand, I think Coburn-Buff would make a lot of sense as a pairing--Coburn's mobility and defensive game could allow Byfuglien a bit more freedom to roam.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Byfuglien

I don't really think it makes a lot of sense to split hairs over which is the 1st and 2nd pairing, since there's no clear #1 in that group anyway. Basically, four 2/3 types.

Timonen manages for another year, Flyers find a veteran stop-gap there after, and hope that Gostisbehere turns into a gem.

But, again, I don't think it makes much sense for the Flyers to give up the assets it would take, and I'm not entirely sure how the cap would work--isn't that about $19 million in cap space right there?

Closed Thread