HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[MTL/DAL] Erik Cole for Michael Ryder and 2013 3rd round pick

Old
02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
dre2112

vCash: 500
Did Cole have a NTC?

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
zombiekopitor
Patty Marleau 4ever

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
Well done by Habs.... 1 for 1 would been fair, Montreal getting a 3rd makes this slam dunk for them.
yup, that said, Cole does fit the Dallas mold very well. Morrow is a shell of his former self, Cole will certainly help with that role. If he likes playing for the Stars and decides to bring his A game, Dallas could easily win this trade barring that 3rd rounder turning into something good.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:43 PM
McTusk

Cole is a great fit in Dallas, I think he'll be fine and that Dallas will be happy.

McTusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Did Cole have a NTC?
yes he did and he waived it after speaking with Bergevin

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Path Of The Beserker
Greasy

I never had anything against Ryder while he was with the Bruins and yes, he helped us finally get a cup after so many year without, but glad hes off the market.

Not sure which is worse though, listening to some of the B's board that would have post after post about why we needed to bring back player(s) we let go; or the fact now that there are is a thread with over 5 pages on our board about Ryder going back to the Habs, and alot of posts on why we will regret it.

Ugh, hopefully now we may be able to get over our ex now that they are with someone else and move on to a new love interest. More likely though that we will be pining over some other ex like Knuble, Sobotka, Gill, Kessel, Thornton, Thomas, Raycroft or whatnot.

Path Of The Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Anyone have any interviews of Ryder since? I'm curious to see how he's reacting to going back to Montreal.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path Of The Beserker View Post
Not sure which is worse though, listening to some of the B's board that would have post after post about why we needed to bring back player(s) we let go; or the fact now that there are is a thread with over 5 pages on our board about Ryder going back to the Habs, and alot of posts on why we will regret it.
Sure made a lot of Habs' fans stomachs turn when Ryder scored 2g, 1a in game 4 of last Bruins vs Habs series. Habs woulda been up 3-1 if not for him.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:05 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Color me surprised. Cole has more value than Ryder?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
kingdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Anyone have any interviews of Ryder since? I'm curious to see how he's reacting to going back to Montreal.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/canadiens/ryder-heureux-de-son-sort-1.589960

kingdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Malefic74

Now that I've had time to think about the trade, it seems to me that it might be more even than I first thought.

From Montreal's side, they were going to have serious cap issues next season, had a PP that has declined a bit and really needed a right handed shooter since the only other RH forward is Gionta. Ryder fits the bill nicely; RH shot, cheaper this season and UFA gives the Bergevin the option to retain him next season.

From Dallas' side from all I've read is that Morrow is slowing down and and they needed more speed and grit upfront as well as a veteran to provide leadership qualities. Cole certainly fits the bill there, also Nieuwendyk mentioned he wanted stability so the extra term and salary isn't a problem for him.

If I were to guess the pick is based on the extra intangibles Cole represents and the UFA status of Ryder. I was initially surprised it was a 3rd considering Gagne went for a 4th earlier that day, but considering Dallas had 3 3rds that made more sense.

The catch in all of this is that Montreal gets a little less physical (Ryder isn't really all that much smaller, but nowhere near as physical as Cole) and Dallas really does nothing to plug some pretty large holes in their blueline.

One of my big pet peeves is the rush to anoint a winner or loser in every single trade within minutes of it being finalized. Another is off the ice speculation on motivation of players.

Ultimately this may turn into one of those deals that benefits both teams if Cole returns to even half the form from last season and Ryder plays hard for his UFA deal.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/874027/clip/200 (video)

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
I thought that Ryder would be more valuable to MTL than Cole would be to DAL. I honestly think MTL wins this trade.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Color me surprised. Cole has more value than Ryder?
Ryder is a UFA, Cole is around for 2 more seasons. This is Ryder's last chance for a big score, and he will be one of the highest scorers on the market.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Ryder is a UFA, Cole is around for 2 more seasons. This is Ryder's last chance for a big score, and he will be one of the highest scorers on the market.
If Ryder does well and asks for 5million and the Habs don't sign him and don't manage to get a big UFA they essentially traded their top goal scorer from last year for a 3rd.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Ryder does well and asks for 5million and the Habs don't sign him and don't manage to get a big UFA they essentially traded their top goal scorer from last year for a 3rd.
A 3rd and half a (shortened) season with Ryder in which they're competing for a playoff spot and believe he'll help secure for them.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Yup, it's pretty much a cap space move for the Habs.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74 View Post
Now that I've had time to think about the trade, it seems to me that it might be more even than I first thought.

From Montreal's side, they were going to have serious cap issues next season, had a PP that has declined a bit and really needed a right handed shooter since the only other RH forward is Gionta. Ryder fits the bill nicely; RH shot, cheaper this season and UFA gives the Bergevin the option to retain him next season.

From Dallas' side from all I've read is that Morrow is slowing down and and they needed more speed and grit upfront as well as a veteran to provide leadership qualities. Cole certainly fits the bill there, also Nieuwendyk mentioned he wanted stability so the extra term and salary isn't a problem for him.

If I were to guess the pick is based on the extra intangibles Cole represents and the UFA status of Ryder. I was initially surprised it was a 3rd considering Gagne went for a 4th earlier that day, but considering Dallas had 3 3rds that made more sense.

The catch in all of this is that Montreal gets a little less physical (Ryder isn't really all that much smaller, but nowhere near as physical as Cole) and Dallas really does nothing to plug some pretty large holes in their blueline.

One of my big pet peeves is the rush to anoint a winner or loser in every single trade within minutes of it being finalized. Another is off the ice speculation on motivation of players.

Ultimately this may turn into one of those deals that benefits both teams if Cole returns to even half the form from last season and Ryder plays hard for his UFA deal.
habs cap issues are completely overblown. approx 15 mill available (they WILL buy out Kaberle) in July to sign Ryder and whomever else - with core already signed, except Subban

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Not bent over by any means. Serves each team.

Generally most people would agree Ryder is the better player though.
Once again, Ryder might have the best stats this year, but Cole at his best is a (much?) better player than Ryder, who is uni-dimensional.

Ryder doesn't play a gritty game, can't play on the PK, is much slower.

And this from a Habs fan.

The pluses of this trade is the 3rd-rounder that Timmins the magician will have available, plus the cap flexibility over the next 2 years.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:27 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
I know Erik Cole has had a tough year and raised a kerfuffle during the lockout. But I'm shocked by the reactionary posts suggesting the Canadiens robbed the Stars on this one.

If Cole gets his head right he's worth far more than a UFA to be Ryder and a 3rd round pick. I think this deal will look great for Dallas.
You're right, but it is a pretty big "If".

Also, in a cap world and with the cap going down next year, the cap flexibility is nothing to sneer at for the Habs.

Dallas will still have $19M+ to sign six players next year, so adding Cole is not a problem (unless they have an internal cap).

EDIT: This trade might be a rare beast for HF posters: a win/win.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
A good ol' boy from Ontario playing for the dreaded Habs? I don't think so!
Wasn't he a Habs fan growing up?

Not that it means anything once you're a pro.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
beauchamp

Quote:

That is a lot of "if"...

And you're neglecting to account for cap flexibility, which will be at a premium next year.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

That is a lot of "if"...

And you're neglecting to account for cap flexibility, which will be at a premium next year.
Which is also fine *if* Cole's heart was no longer in it and he was destined to be a 10-goal scorer for the next two years in Montreal (which is about what he was trending to, albeit in a very short early season sample).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:49 PM
glenbuis

Not that I necessarily want to see him moved right away but there is the option to flip Ryder at the deadline as well . A second plus a mid level prospect would be attainable. Again its not something I want to see because Ryder's play-off experience will very helpful but if a team pushed the envelope with a first rounder and if the potential exists to lose him for nothing, wouldn't it have to be considered. If that happens then the trading of Cole could possibly have been for a first and third with 4.5 million in cap space cleared up. Not bad either.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Did Cole have a NTC?
Limited NTC. Don't quite know the details of it though.

I still like the trade but geez, Ryder looked slow tonight...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'm going to miss Cole, but it was clearly apparent his heart wasn't in it this year. Too much of a gamble to think he'll regain his passion at 35 and 36.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote