HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

EDM-NYR: Eberle+Whitney for McDonagh+Asham

Old
02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
But Eberle is?
Run back to thee hockey gods, young lad and hope that thy do not strike thee down from where ye stand!

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Agreed, he's no Jordan Eberle

Jordan Eberle is a nice little player for sure, is a year removed from a very impressive season, and could be a consistent all-star caliber player in this league. But Ryan McDonagh is already a #1 defenseman and could very well push himself into the top-10 category. Defensemen like McDonagh are significantly harder to acquire than forwards like Eberle, and that's not a shot at Eberle.
Another big thing is that him and Hopkins have gelled quite well. They're starting this season off pretty slowly in the NHL this year for whatever reason... but Eberle has shown us that he can consistently put up points and that he can also be a huge clutch player. Something Edmonton can't afford to give up until they've got enough proven consistent top 6 forwards. That's the only reason why Hemsky was resigned, IMO.

McDonagh was Keslerlike Beastmode X2 last playoffs. Was such a treat to watch him play the best of the best and out play so many of them at such a young age. He's truely a diamond in rough... but I can't accept the idea of giving up Eberle unless the other team overpaid to the extent that the whole NHL was crying foul.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I say value is fair, but I can't see either team doing it.

Mcnotloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

I love Eberle to death. If this trade is proposed, though, I think very very long and hard about it.
McDonagh might win a Norris.
Eberle might win an Art Ross, and I feel that might is larger.

Take out Asham and add St. Croix and I'm doing it!

The value is definitely there.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
I love Eberle to death. If this trade is proposed, though, I think very very long and hard about it.

You cheeky *******. Just because you're located in Edmonton doesn't mean you know something about St. Croix that we don't

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

So you're gambling on a player reaching the pinnacle of their position, arguing that Eberle is less likely to reach the pinnacle of his position than McDonagh is his, and coming to the conclusion that you need the side with the greater certainty to add.

Some logic there.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
So you're gambling on a player reaching the pinnacle of their position, arguing that Eberle is less likely to reach the pinnacle of his position than McDonagh is his, and coming to the conclusion that you need the side with the greater certainty to add.

Some logic there.
Sarcasm, buddy. Although I'd love St. Croix.

Oilers win the trade, IMHO.

Mcnofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Eberle is not the future captain. If Hall can get his head out of his ass its his for the taking.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
asham is a 34 year old who is a third/4th liner--Oilers have eager for the role--he is a wash for whitney--oilers have too many players on the third and 4th line already and have people fighting for that job

I like Ryan M--but the oilers have Petry and Schultz on the roster and Klefbom coming next year--If the oilers out eberle on the table we would want OEL from Phoenix like return
Yea, I'd have to agree. Wouldn't trade Eberle for McDonagh. He's a good defenseman but I think having the best goalie in the league behind you is also nice.

A guy like OEL doesn't have much of a supporting cast. Smith is great, but that team doesn't have any Nash, Richards, Gaborik kind of player. I'd add to Eberle to get Ekman-Larsson.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:17 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Yea, I'd have to agree. Wouldn't trade Eberle for McDonagh. He's a good defenseman but I think having the best goalie in the league behind you is also nice.

A guy like OEL doesn't have much of a supporting cast. Smith is great, but that team doesn't have any Nash, Richards, Gaborik kind of player. I'd add to Eberle to get Ekman-Larsson.
What the hell does the goaltender have to do with anything? Are you implying that he somehow plays worse when Biron is in net? It's a cute little theory that you rationalized in your head but in practice it makes no sense and I don't think you'll find a single Atlantic Division fan worth his salt who would agree with you.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:21 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
What the hell does the goaltender have to do with anything? Are you implying that he somehow plays worse when Biron is in net? It's a cute little theory that you rationalized in your head but in practice it makes no sense and I don't think you'll find a single Atlantic Division fan worth his salt who would agree with you.
Sensitive much? All he's saying is his defensive stats could be inflated compared to someone like OEL who makes it happen by himself.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sensitive much? All he's saying is his defensive stats could be inflated compared to someone like OEL who makes it happen by himself.
What defensive stats? You think Rangers fans base their value of Ryan McDonagh on defensive stats and not what they observe every game? I can't even think of an easily accessible defensive stat.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Oil fan here sayin MacDonagh is getting underrated by a lot of other Oil fans here. Seriously, a pairing of him and JSchultz would possibly turn into one of the top pairings in the league. I like Eberle as much as any other Oil fans, but fact is that the right side is overloaded right now. I'd take Whitney and Asham out, as neither really does much for the other, and do something like Eberle for MacDonagh and some kind of plus.

But I highly doubt NYR has any interest in moving MacD, since I think Marc Staal will be going to Carolina once his current deal is up.

BarDownBobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
You are totally wrong. Players have more confident when they know they have someone behind them to bail them out thus taking more chances. They don't have to worry about every mistake they make.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:30 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
You are totally wrong. Players have more confident when they know they have someone behind them to bail them out thus taking more chances. They don't have to worry about every mistake they make.
I can assure you that Ryan McDonagh plays the same exact game with Martin Biron in net as he does with Henrik Lundqvist in net. I can also assure you that if McDonagh or any player on the Rangers changed his game based on which guy was in net John Tortorella would lose his mind.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
EBERLE IS NOT GETTING TRADED.

This is a god awful proposal that makes no sense. As good as a Dman Mcdonough is, Eberle is the future caption and is very clutch.

I am not saying the Oilers dont need D, I am just saying none of the kids are being traded anytime soon.

I cant believe how ****astick this proposal was
Calm down buddy. First off this is good value as fair as an even trade goes. It isn't awful, it's just unrealistic IMO. Secondly I though Hall was the sure bet for the next captain in Edmonton?

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Why Eberle gets thrown around in trades still amazes me. By far the most untouchable player on the Oilers roster. McDounagh doesn't even come close to his value as of yet.
RNH and Hall are more untouchable than Eberle. RNH is our only good, long term center, and Hall is the heart and soul, not to mention the best forward, the Oilers have.

For me to take this deal, I would need Asham to be switched to Brian Boyle. We don't need Asham, he's a 4th liner and getting old. Boyle is big, more physical than he used to be, and can be a long term solution for the 3rd/4th line center hole. I also think Eberle has more value than McD. If I'm the Oilers, I'd offer to eat some of Whitney's salary too, but I'm not sure if that's even an issue considering the bank that the Rangers make, ha ha.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
RNH and Hall are more untouchable than Eberle. RNH is our only good, long term center, and Hall is the heart and soul, not to mention the best forward, the Oilers have.

For me to take this deal, I would need Asham to be switched to Brian Boyle. We don't need Asham, he's a 4th liner and getting old. Boyle is big, more physical than he used to be, and can be a long term solution for the 3rd/4th line center hole. I also think Eberle has more value than McD. If I'm the Oilers, I'd offer to eat some of Whitney's salary too, but I'm not sure if that's even an issue considering the bank that the Rangers make, ha ha.
Boyle has been a healthy scratch this year and the games I've watched he has been brutal, no thanks.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Eberle is not the future captain. If Hall can get his head out of his ass its his for the taking.
If Hall could get his head out of his ass? You mean the Hall who has been hands down the Oilers best player this season?

Anyway, i could see some merit to an Eberle for McDonaugh trade but i don't see the Rangers trading their best defenseman who was an absolute stud in the playoffs and i just can't see Eberle going anywhere. Besides the fact that he's an excellent player (although not so much this season), he grew up as an Oiler fan, LOVES playing in Edmonton and is great friends with the future captain of the Oilers, Hall. I'd say that Tambellini is going to sink or swim with the core of RNH, Hall and Eberle and that they are completely untouchable. I see Yakupov being the odd man out eventually if anything.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:05 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Boyle has been a healthy scratch this year and the games I've watched he has been brutal, no thanks.
He was really good for the past two seasons. Most of the Rangers team has been brutal as well. I'd still consider him a far better player than Asham, and one who fills a need we have more than Asham. Seems more like Boyle needs a change of scenery than anything else.

On another note, why would we trade for Asham when we could take Volpati off of waivers for nothing?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
I can assure you that Ryan McDonagh plays the same exact game with Martin Biron in net as he does with Henrik Lundqvist in net. I can also assure you that if McDonagh or any player on the Rangers changed his game based on which guy was in net John Tortorella would lose his mind.
Either you believe it or not but it's the truth. No player is gonna come out and say it. Also I thought Torts already lost his mind?

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:12 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Either you believe it or not but it's the truth. No player is gonna come out and say it. Also I thought Torts already lost his mind?
Unless you have watched the Rangers more than a few times in the last two seasons, you're speaking in complete hypotheticals. As I said, I don't think a single Atlantic Division fan will come here and agree that Ryan McDonagh plays any differently with Martin Biron in net than he does with Henrik Lundqvist in net. Until you provide evidence suggesting otherwise you're more or less just talking out of your ass.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If Hall could get his head out of his ass? You mean the Hall who has been hands down the Oilers best player this season?

Anyway, i could see some merit to an Eberle for McDonaugh trade but i don't see the Rangers trading their best defenseman who was an absolute stud in the playoffs and i just can't see Eberle going anywhere. Besides the fact that he's an excellent player (although not so much this season), he grew up as an Oiler fan, LOVES playing in Edmonton and is great friends with the future captain of the Oilers, Hall. I'd say that Tambellini is going to sink or swim with the core of RNH, Hall and Eberle and that they are completely untouchable. I see Yakupov being the odd man out eventually if anything.
Actually that honor belongs to Gagner. But yes, Hall has been good. He'd be even better if he got his head outta his ass.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Makes sense for Oilers to do it, not for NYR though. They are stacked at wingers.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
If NYR was going to move McD for a winger it would have to be Hall, but more than liekly they'd want RNH in return.
bingo

we can't see eye to eye on an exact match.

Just for discussion:

Staal + Girardi
for

J. Schultz + X
or
Yakupov + Y

I'm understanding Yak is < Eberle, EO get to keep their bigger guns, still get a L-R paired top D combo.

Rangers need a C, but would have to settle for young lefty sniper or ideal partner for McD. Would lose a lot on D but recover a lot of cap room in the process...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote