HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers interest in Byfuglien

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
  #76
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
No offense, I've seen your defense. He is better than a #3 in Philadelphia. Coburn and Buff would be your top two. Don't try to sell me on Timonen or Schenn being better.
Timonen is absolutely better, and it isn't really close--though obviousy he isn't a great long-term option .

I'm not really sure that I see Byfuglien as a great fit--and I definitely wouldn't want the Flyers to pay the price required to get him.

On the other hand, I think Coburn-Buff would make a lot of sense as a pairing--Coburn's mobility and defensive game could allow Byfuglien a bit more freedom to roam.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Byfuglien

I don't really think it makes a lot of sense to split hairs over which is the 1st and 2nd pairing, since there's no clear #1 in that group anyway. Basically, four 2/3 types.

Timonen manages for another year, Flyers find a veteran stop-gap there after, and hope that Gostisbehere turns into a gem.

But, again, I don't think it makes much sense for the Flyers to give up the assets it would take, and I'm not entirely sure how the cap would work--isn't that about $19 million in cap space right there?

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
  #77
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 500
Timonen is better than Byfuglien?

Cujomi is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:07 PM
  #78
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
While I'm not his biggest fan and wouldn't want to give up the assets to acquire him, he is a #1 dman (albeit a low one IMO).

Plays against top competition, positive CORSI when he's on the ice, and an elite point producer at ES.
If you say so. I think he's 2/3; decent #2, fantastic #3.

I never had enough of an interest in him to look up his advanced stats. Despite all of that, it only means we continue to get slow on the blueline, which does not bode well for Lavi's system, or Lavi's tenure in Philly for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Timonen is better than Byfuglien?
Very much so....

CS is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:09 PM
  #79
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Timonen is better than Byfuglien?
Timonen is better, but obviously not as valuable because of his age--sorry if that wasn't clear.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:12 PM
  #80
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Prove to me that Buff is #1 defenseman.

My body is ready.
Prove it to you? And how do you want me to do that? Point out the fact that he's one of the best offensive defenseman in the league over the last few years? The fact that he's an all-star? That fact that he plays 25 minutes a game? His offense and ice time alone make him a #1 D man. His defensive play is also underrated on HF by people who don't watch him. And like your comment to OCPenguin about not "seeing" enough flyers games to share your opinion on the state of the Flyers D, it's obvious that you don't watch much of Buff either.

What does it take? You've already shown that you have an irrational dislike for Buff with your digs at him (he's meh, he's worth Cousins and a 2nd, he's a #3 D). You're not going to listen to anything positive about Buff because you've already decided to dislike him, and everything contrary to that will probably be ignored.

Why don't you prove to me that he's not? Or better yet, why he wouldn't be on the Flyers?

Actually, I don't really care. Sounds like you'll just throw out some tired meme about Buff not being good defensively and act like it's gospel.

And I don't really care if you don't want Buff, or any player because they don't fit a need. There are lot's of good players out there that don't make sense for teams to trade for because they don't fit a team need.

But acting like Buff is a 2nd pair scrub, who's not worth anything more than one of your B prospects and a 2nd is pretty childish and homerific.


Last edited by Huffer: 02-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Huffer is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
  #81
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel
 
Cujomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,322
vCash: 500
I would put Big Buff as a strong #2 defenceman. More impressed with Enstrom than Buff when I watch them usually.

Cujomi is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
  #82
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,692
vCash: 500
Isles should be all over Briere

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
  #83
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,210
vCash: 50
I think because Byfuglien is a bit of a roamer his defense is a underrated. From what I have seen he is a very effective one on one defender and has a good stick.

He has a Chara like shot that you can tell players prefer to avoid blocking.

He's a definite top pairing guy and better than anyone Flyers have on defense.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
  #84
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
It takes a lot less time to click the Ignore User button than it does to respond to them 99 times out of 100 and usually much more enjoyful.

Stewie G is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
  #85
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
As a Flyer fan, I pass on Byfuglien. Guy is a glorified 4th forward. If you think the Flyers are terrible now in their own zone, wait till you add Big Buff to the mix.

Plus it seems that WPG fans think he's worth his weight in gold. I don't even think he's worth half that. Give me the 200 lbs of gold any day.
you just shorted yourself approx $2 million.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
  #86
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Some see BUff fetching Couts+meszaros+1st!! Wow that woudl be overpayment.

I think something along the line of Buff for Couturier and Meszaros would be fair.

No way Simmonds shoudl be traded, but was it in winnipeg where a fan throw a banana?

Perro is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  #87
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Isles should be all over Briere
doubt that would be mutual

Perro is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:53 PM
  #88
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly
Country: Israel
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Honestly idk where all this buf talk came from. Were definitely not missing size on the back end, its speed that we lack. Big Buff is awesome and isn't necessarily slow, but i wouldn't consider him fast either. I would prefer to give up less and get a top 4 guy with speed and call it a day.

At a certain point its really not about talent, but about playing a system as a team. Flyers biggest problem is getting beat on the rush and and lack of breakout passers. Honestly if Meszaros wasn't injured I don't think we would even have this conversation.

HighOFFHockey is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
  #89
YuioIklo
Registered User
 
YuioIklo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 100
Eklund doesn't have connections within the Flyers organisation. He only gets one right every 5 years.

YuioIklo is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
  #90
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
It would start with Couturier ++ Any Flyer fan that comes in here and thinks otherwise is out to lunch.

birddog* is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
  #91
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly
Country: Israel
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Some see BUff fetching Couts+meszaros+1st!! Wow that woudl be overpayment.

I think something along the line of Buff for Couturier and Meszaros would be fair.

No way Simmonds shoudl be traded, but was it in winnipeg where a fan throw a banana?
lol noo way. you guys are kidding yourselves. depth is even more important than talent in a short season and Couturier has a higher upside. Again Coturier is not being moved. I'd rather finish the season out of the playoffs and hope to get lucky in the lottery pool and get a top 5 pick.

HighOFFHockey is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  #92
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
you just shorted yourself approx $2 million.
I said I don't think he's worth HALF THAT, hence the 200 pounds instead of 400.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  #93
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly
Country: Israel
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Eklund doesn't have connections within the Flyers organisation. He only gets one right every 5 years.
all he said is that there is interest, which there is. But doesn't mean anything is going to happen. Trade makes no sense if you ask me. Buff is a big part of their team and they will overcharge. We have our core and are setup for a very successful 5 years. Off-season is where you will see big trades after the team is re-evaluated.

HighOFFHockey is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:59 PM
  #94
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Isles should be all over Briere
Because Wang would easily shell out that kind of coin -- never.

birddog* is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
  #95
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs
 
Brewsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: King County
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,076
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Briere for Byfuglymotherfudger

But we know Briere wont waive that NTC, nobody wants to go to Winnipeg.

Brewsky is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
  #96
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Because Wang would easily shell out that kind of coin -- never.
Hit cap it is much Higher than what he ctually gets paid....He's almost as close to a wet dream for Wang than Thomas is..

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
  #97
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Because Wang would easily shell out that kind of coin -- never.
Briere's cap hit over the next two seasons: $6.5

Briere's combined actual compensation over the same two seasons: $5 million.

He's actually a fantastic option for someone looking to stay at the cap floor for cheap.

(But it will never happen, of course).

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
  #98
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,050
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Because Wang would easily shell out that kind of coin -- never.
It would certainly save him money towards the cap.

2012-13
Cap hit : 6,500,000
Salary : 7,000,000

2013-14
Cap hit : 6,500,000
Salary : 3,000,000

2014-15
Cap hit : 6,500,000
Salary : 2,000,000

Over the last 2 years, Wang would save 8m

Krishna is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
  #99
thedjpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
I just love how in every thread, people keep saying how overrated Couturier is and how low his top end ceiling is, but for every single player in a proposal for the other team, he's the one everybody "demands."

It's just funny.

thedjpd is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 04:11 PM
  #100
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,329
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
I just love how in every thread, people keep saying how overrated Couturier is and how low his top end ceiling is, but for every single player in a proposal for the other team, he's the one everybody "demands."

It's just funny.
Did you purposely ignore all the posts mentioning Voracek, Simmonds, and B and L Schenn?

Huffer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.