HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

The Free Agents

Old
02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
unbridledid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
The Hawks aren't going to move important roster players during the season.
If it looks like he can't be signed it seems counterproductive to just let him walk for nothing in return doesn't it ?

Are you implying there isn't anybody in the system who could replace him ?

unbridledid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridledid View Post
If it looks like he can't be signed it seems counterproductive to just let him walk for nothing in return doesn't it ?

Are you implying there isn't anybody in the system who could replace him ?
Yes, there is no one in the system who could come in and put up the numbers Stalberg will put up this year. You don't hurt your chances to win a Stanley Cup in a year like this.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
HawksFan37

If they can't sign Stalberg to a decent number then forget it. The Hawks can't afford Stalberg at 3 mil. Losing his size speed combo isn't great, but they can find guys for the bottom 6 at much cheaper rates than that, especially within the system on ELC or cheap deals.

It's also a definite possibility that because of his upcoming UFA status Stalberg could be dealt before the deadline this year if he can be used as a piece to acquire a center. We'll see what Stan does.

Edit: Just saw the post above, just to clarify, you don't deal Stalberg for a prospect or a pick in a year you can win the Cup. But if he's part of a package to get a NHL quality player that fills another need, you have to consider it.

HawksFan37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan37 View Post

It's also a definite possibility that because of his upcoming UFA status Stalberg could be dealt before the deadline this year if he can be used as a piece to acquire a center. We'll see what Stan does.
Thats the only way I move Stalberg. If he can get you a 2nd line center, that allows Bolland to move back to the 3rd line and then Shaw replaces Stalberg. That said, I don't think any top 6 centers will be on the move.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Thats the only way I move Stalberg. If he can get you a 2nd line center, that allows Bolland to move back to the 3rd line and then Shaw replaces Stalberg. That said, I don't think any top 6 centers will be on the move.
There are rumors Filppula might be available if he's not going to stay in Detroit, but that's about it.

And of course it would take a lot more than just Stalberg to land Filppula.

Last edited by Sevanston: 02-27-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Filppula, not Franzen
Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
There are rumors Franzen might be available if he's not going to stay in Detroit, but that's about it.

And of course it would take a lot more than just Stalberg to land Franzen.
And there is no chance in hell Detroit is going to trade with one of their biggest rivals outside of a massive overpayment.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Short term thinking my friend. Chances are we get him for under $3 M, and I don't like it either if we have to pay more, but we can't let Leddy walk. I think Q has him pegged as his project, and has hopes of him becoming another Keith.
Isn't the short term thinking what you guys do when you talk about our core aging? You are one of the main supporters of going all out and going for it in the next 2-3 years, and even this year.

If we lose Bolland in the next year or two, you can say goodbye to a chance at a cup for another 3+ years, because we don't have anyone to replace what Bolland can do in the playoffs. Not Kruger, not Danault, and not Shaw.

Leddy is more expendable than Bolland, we are deep as **** at D and thin as hell at C. What Leddy does for us right now, can be easily replaced in the free agent market. What he can do in 3-5 years is a different story obviously.

I love it though, in trade threads where Hawks give up Bolland, everyone was saying, we can't give up Bolland, best shutdown C in the NHL, we are thin at C, etc...etc..

Now, he is expendable and isn't worth what we pay him. This board I tell ya.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
And there is no chance in hell Detroit is going to trade with one of their biggest rivals outside of a massive overpayment.
It's not likely, but with realignment and divisional playoffs, it's not as impossible as it used to seem.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Stalberg won't get traded. We won't get a better player for him without adding significantly. I can see us trading Bickell or free up a roster spot and get a 3rd for this draft.

Would need to trade for rental too in this case.

Stalberg will walk for free.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:04 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Franzen is too slow to be effective on this team, at least in the top 6. No thanks.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Franzen is too slow to be effective on this team, at least in the top 6. No thanks.
Didn't even realize that I wrote Franzen (twice, too)

I meant Filppula

Old
02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Didn't even realize that I wrote Franzen (twice, too)

I meant Filppula
Different story. I'd be VERY interested in him and think he would fit like a glove. He'll probably be just cheap enough to resign too.

Start off with Stalberg since he wouldn't be resigned. (Obviously, if they have interest in him, otherwise, we'll just keep him and let him walk)

The 1st round pick (a must to get this done and keep Saad/TT/Danault IMO)

That should be enough. If they don't want Stalberg, then you are talking about adding prospects you don't want to give up to bridge the gap over other offers.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'd give a 1st + for Filppula. Guy would be a perfect fit for us and our 2nd line. He's a UFA to be

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Moonshiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I'd give a 1st + for Filppula. Guy would be a perfect fit for us and our 2nd line. He's a UFA to be
What about Stalberg + Beach + 2nd for Ryan O'Reilly?

Moonshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
Can't afford Reily going forward, he'd just hold out like he's doing now.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:49 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
That's not enough to get O'Reilly.

It'd have to be Leddy+.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Couple points...

1. The only thing Stalberg is going to get you at the deadline is picks, so you keep him for the run this year and let him walk. I doubt he'd be a piece for a center seeing as how he's a UFA anyway.

2. I doubt Filppula is going to be available, and I double doubt Detroit would trade with us unless they weren't going to make the playoffs (which I highly doubt). But he's a name to keep you eye on in UFA, he would fit like a glove in our lineup.

3. O'Reilly isn't an option, too expensive moving forward. We will not be adding any longterm 5+ mil contracts to this roster, unless you're trading Hoss.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

More points (hit the post button too early)

- They'll let Bickell walk, he's exactly the guy you use your system to replace, he's going to start to get expensive, replace him with someone on their ELC.

- Ditto for Stalberg, he won't be back.

- The brass will make sure Leddy is signed, he won't be lost via offer sheet. He's the future.

- I'd imagine they'll try and move Frolik. While I think they like Frolik and his new role on the team, I know they feel they can get better cap value there. Now if they can move him is a different story. He still has 2 years left right, or just next year?

- I agree with most everyone about Bolland. He clearly means a lot to the team and city, and he loves playing for the org. But man, I think Kruger is becoming a cheaper/healthier version. He doesn't have the edge that Bolland has, but the cap savings there could allow us to get a legit #2 center.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Kruger, Leddy, and Berg are the priorities.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
More points (hit the post button too early)

- They'll let Bickell walk, he's exactly the guy you use your system to replace, he's going to start to get expensive, replace him with someone on their ELC.

- Ditto for Stalberg, he won't be back.

- The brass will make sure Leddy is signed, he won't be lost via offer sheet. He's the future.

- I'd imagine they'll try and move Frolik. While I think they like Frolik and his new role on the team, I know they feel they can get better cap value there. Now if they can move him is a different story. He still has 2 years left right, or just next year?

- I agree with most everyone about Bolland. He clearly means a lot to the team and city, and he loves playing for the org. But man, I think Kruger is becoming a cheaper/healthier version. He doesn't have the edge that Bolland has, but the cap savings there could allow us to get a legit #2 center.
Fro has one year remaining after this season. He can be moved.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

I'll be surprised if Stalberg is here after the trade deadline. They're not going to resign him.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
I'll be surprised if Stalberg is here after the trade deadline. They're not going to resign him.
If we continue to play well, he won't be gone. You don't jettison parts like that unless you are getting an amazing return when you have a chance to win. Team chemistry means a lot.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeLincolnsGhost View Post
If we continue to play well, he won't be gone. You don't jettison parts like that unless you are getting an amazing return when you have a chance to win. Team chemistry means a lot.
He'll be packaged for someone we need. He's pretty easily replaced.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
He'll be packaged for someone we need. He's pretty easily replaced.
Pray tell who will downgrade their team for an impending ufa.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:44 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeLincolnsGhost View Post
Agree with this. Stalberg, and nobody for that matter will be moved at the trade deadline unless we start to have some struggles. When the team is connecting and all 4 lines are producing, you don't mess that up while you're going for the cup. Chemistry > potential improvements that aren't guaranteed.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote