HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 12:43 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Volpatti is on waivers now, after McGrattan has cleared.

Not a coincidence that those type of players hit waivers constantly.
Volpatti and Mcgrattan are different types of players.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:46 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
What happens if an opposing player decides he wants to beat on Emelin? I know Emelin can't fight because of the plates in his face but is every player in the league expected to know and respect this?
Emelin doesn't engage in a fight. Period. If someone pulls a "White" on him, then he needs to turtle quickly. Powerplay for the Habs. There's no other scenario.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:58 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Emelin doesn't engage in a fight. Period. If someone pulls a "White" on him, then he needs to turtle quickly. Powerplay for the Habs. There's no other scenario.
Yeah pretty much what I figured, he has to keep his gloves on. Still fear some punk will take a run at him, or pull a "White".

Go Habs Go!

Old
02-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Cor
LL Legend

vCash: 0
I don't think you guys need one. You guys have a small top 6 (Bourque is the exception). Thus, you need a big bottom 6, for when the going gets rough.

You have guys like Prust, Moen, White, and even Armstrong (when he isn't hurt, as a Leaf fan, I know all about that).

You then have Gallagher who plays bigger then he is, sorta like Komarov for us, but less pesty.

Overall I think you guys are fine without one. You guys have 4 lines that can play, and for the most part the bottom 6 are big guys that can throw the body.

So you guys could get one, to have to play against teams like us (Leafs) since we have 2 heavyweights and 1 guy who is like a middleweight but can't play hockey worth crap.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
What happens if an opposing player decides he wants to beat on Emelin? I know Emelin can't fight because of the plates in his face but is every player in the league expected to know and respect this?
Then he's going to do it regardless of whether we have a heavyweight enforcer or not.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:46 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Then he's going to do it regardless of whether we have a heavyweight enforcer or not.
Going after an injured player would get you ostracized from a locker room. In terms of cheques and balances you're pretty much inviting someone from ANY team in the league to elbow your best prospect if you pull that sort of crap. And even if you have the best heavyweights in the league, they'll know the team deserved it.

It's the same reason why Price just toyed with Thomas in their fight. It was a complete mismatch and nowhere close to the Roy/Osgood battles in the past. If Price destroyed Thomas there, he'd have opened the whole team up. You just don't do it.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You guy's read this wrong. I mean if you send one of the scratched D and injuries happen. Not for him being the Heavyweight, lol
I understood what you meant, but it doesn't matter. If we get rid of Kaberle/Weber and then get hit by injuries we don't have much depth in Hamilton to cover it. If Tinordi has a cup of coffee in the NHL then fine no problems, if we need him to play reguarly for a number of games it could be a problem. Adding an enforcer is not worth sacrificing our current depth on D.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Going after an injured player would get you ostracized from a locker room. In terms of cheques and balances you're pretty much inviting someone from ANY team in the league to elbow your best prospect if you pull that sort of crap. And even if you have the best heavyweights in the league, they'll know the team deserved it.

It's the same reason why Price just toyed with Thomas in their fight. It was a complete mismatch and nowhere close to the Roy/Osgood battles in the past. If Price destroyed Thomas there, he'd have opened the whole team up. You just don't do it.
I'm not the one whose worried that Emelin will be assaulted if we don't have an enforcer.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
I'm not the one whose worried that Emelin will be assaulted if we don't have an enforcer.
Don't take replies so personal, it's all part of the discussion

Old
02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

Yes I agree with what might be called a code, but can we assume that Emelin will be regarded as "injured" for his entire playing career and that every player in the league will be aware of the plates in his face? This is where I fear a problem down the way, Emelin attracts attention with his hits, and nowadays punks send "messages" even after clean hits. Of course we get a power play but that does not make up for a potentially serious injury.

Quote:
Agree a heavyweight enforcer would not stop an attack. So what happens? Do Habs players leap in and explain the situation because that's not a reasonable plan. Do you know, could Emelin play with a full visor? Or some sort of lightweight cage? Because a puck in the face could also be dangerous, no? I think Emelin is very valuable to the Habs and this vulnerability of his should be considered.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Yes I agree with what might be called a code, but can we assume that Emelin will be regarded as "injured" for his entire playing career and that every player in the league will be aware of the plates in his face? This is where I fear a problem down the way, Emelin attracts attention with his hits, and nowadays punks send "messages" even after clean hits. Of course we get a power play but that does not make up for a potentially serious injury.
I have already noticed in some of the first games of the season, Emelin would hammer a guy, another guy would start skating to start an altercation and then realize Emelin had the face shield because he broke his jaw and so they'd just yap at him instead.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:23 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think there was a tremendous amount of respect shown to Thomas by Price in that fight. I'm not so sure that had Thomas gotten the upper hand that he'd have done the same.

I base this on comments made by Price and Thomas about that tilt.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:24 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
I have already noticed in some of the first games of the season, Emelin would hammer a guy, another guy would start skating to start an altercation and then realize Emelin had the face shield because he broke his jaw and so they'd just yap at him instead.
Yup I saw the same thing. But he had a full cage then, now only a visor. I heard somewhere that players can't regularly wear cages.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:29 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I think there was a tremendous amount of respect shown to Thomas by Price in that fight. I'm not so sure that had Thomas gotten the upper hand that he'd have done the same.

I base this on comments made by Price and Thomas about that tilt.
It was pretty clear it wasn't going to be a knock out drag out so they just held each other and took powder punches.

Same thing when that dude on Toronto just held the Hab back or how Chara would never actually drop the gloves with Boullion. You don't really win those fights. If you beat up a guy at 5'8" you look like a bully. If you get beat up, you're not gonna ever want to enter a locker room ever again. Might as well just retire on the spot.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Agree a heavyweight enforcer would not stop an attack. So what happens? Do Habs players leap in and explain the situation because that's not a reasonable plan. Do you know, could Emelin play with a full visor? Or some sort of lightweight cage? Because a puck in the face could also be dangerous, no? I think Emelin is very valuable to the Habs and this vulnerability of his should be considered.
Just like there's no way to prevent a cheapshot, there's no way to prevent someone going after Emelin. But I think your fear is somewhat overblown, Kronwall on Detroit delivers big hits just like Emelin does and yet doesn't get into fights.

As far as I know there's no rule against wearing a cage, but since it limit's visibility I'm not sure Emelin would want to wear one all the time.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Et le But

The thing with Emelin is he can protect himself, he's not fighting for his own safety but he's not someone that can just get jumped that easily. The man is a tank and has done enough nasty things in the past that he should know to be prepared for anything. These things happen in the KHL all the time, this isn't his first time in the rodeo.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The thing with Emelin is he can protect himself, he's not fighting for his own safety but he's not someone that can just get jumped that easily. The man is a tank and has done enough nasty things in the past that he should know to be prepared for anything. These things happen in the KHL all the time, this isn't his first time in the rodeo.
Yes Emelin is very physical. I don't know that I have seen him get dumped this year. And he lost the full face cage. all the better to see people with so he can run the Transsiberian railway over there *****.

Last edited by hototogisu: 02-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 03:31 PM
bud12

its just me or Emelin don't hit as much as before? It's seem like he stopped since he lost is face shield

Old
02-27-2013, 03:34 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
its just me or Emelin don't hit as much as before? It's seem like he stopped since he lost is face shield
He's overall not as good on the right side as he is on the left. Pretty sure a majority of his hits came from the left side.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
bud12

Quote:
Just like there's no way to prevent a cheapshot, there's no way to prevent someone going after Emelin. But I think your fear is somewhat overblown, Kronwall on Detroit delivers big hits just like Emelin does and yet doesn't get into fights.

As far as I know there's no rule against wearing a cage, but since it limit's visibility I'm not sure Emelin would want to wear one all the time.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

9.6 Dangerous Equipment - The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player, is prohibited. Referees have the authority to prohibit any equipment they feel may cause injury to any participants in the game. Failure to comply to the Refereesí instructions shall result in the assessment of a minor penalty for delay of game.

A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury. In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor.

If any opposing Club objects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner. In cases where a stick may have been modified and it is evident that the edges have not been beveled, the Referee shall deem the stick to be dangerous equipment and removed from the game until the edges can be beveled sufficiently. No penalty is to assessed initially unless the player returns to the ice with the unmodified stick, for which he will be assessed a minor penalty for delay of game.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's overall not as good on the right side as he is on the left. Pretty sure a majority of his hits came from the left side.
He's also playing with a slow but offensive minded Markov, and as elite as Markov's positioning is, you don't want to force Markov to get into a foot race by being out of position to make a big hit. Markov is a lot more conservative out there on even strength than he used to be, but if Emelin ignored positioning to hit everything that moved Markov would pretty much have to park himself in front of the net.

I mean I'd lvoe to see Emelin wreck more guys this year, but we need him to play defense too.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26285

9.6 Dangerous Equipment - The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player, is prohibited. Referees have the authority to prohibit any equipment they feel may cause injury to any participants in the game. Failure to comply to the Refereesí instructions shall result in the assessment of a minor penalty for delay of game.

A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury. In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor.

If any opposing Club objects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner. In cases where a stick may have been modified and it is evident that the edges have not been beveled, the Referee shall deem the stick to be dangerous equipment and removed from the game until the edges can be beveled sufficiently. No penalty is to assessed initially unless the player returns to the ice with the unmodified stick, for which he will be assessed a minor penalty for delay of game.
I stand corrected. Though since all he needs is a doctor's note if he wanted to he probably could wear a cage all the time.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He's also playing with a slow but offensive minded Markov, and as elite as Markov's positioning is, you don't want to force Markov to get into a foot race by being out of position to make a big hit. Markov is a lot more conservative out there on even strength than he used to be, but if Emelin ignored positioning to hit everything that moved Markov would pretty much have to park himself in front of the net.

I mean I'd lvoe to see Emelin wreck more guys this year, but we need him to play defense too.
If you go back and look at his big hits from last year either the opposing player was all alone in the attacking zone or there was a forward backchecking that was able to cover for him. He definetly tries as much as possible to ensure that when he goes out of position for the big hit it doesn't hurt the team.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
ChoseLa

I know it has been discussed to death but it seems that Zach Kassian is in the dog house in Van City and they desperatly need a 2nd line center, Clowe should be run out of town before season ends in San Jose. Two guys who can pkay hockey and fight.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I know it has been discussed to death but it seems that Zach Kassian is in the dog house in Van City and they desperatly need a 2nd line center, Clowe should be run out of town before season ends in San Jose. Two guys who can pkay hockey and fight.
I'd LOVE Kassian, why did they sour on him in Vancouver? He was great a few weeks ago.

Clowe I'm a fan of and I'd gladly take him for the right price, but I don't think he's a real top 6 player anymore. But if San Jose want to reunite Gionta and Gomez...

Closed Thread