HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rolston / Future Head Coach Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 04:19 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
I seem to remember Hasek faking an injury, pulling himself out of the playoffs, assaulting a middle aged sportswriter and getting suspended. And the Sabres still won a playoff round with a mediocre backup goalie.
Boy, I seem to remember the "faking injury" from Hasek being a myth. Unless you're just talking out your ass, for effect.... Post an article from a reputable source (not "my friends brother used to work for the Zamboni repair crew at the arena during the Hasek years") that proves he faked it. You're not one of "those guys" are you? You know, the kind that make stuff up in hopes no one asks you to prove a point? We have enough of those around here

Last edited by vcv: 02-26-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
I seem to remember Hasek faking an injury, pulling himself out of the playoffs, assaulting a middle aged sportswriter and getting suspended. And the Sabres still won a playoff round with a mediocre backup goalie.
I'm okay with this part

Old
02-26-2013, 12:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Give me someone who can grow with the youth that's impending. That's really where I stand.

Last edited by jBuds: 02-26-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old
02-26-2013, 12:34 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I wasn't high on Rolston from what I was hearing from Rochester, and the regression of Adam and McNabb, although there might have been directives to develop certain players with more icetime etc. He might still turn out to be decent, but right now it's all talk. Like his attitude, but it's gotta translate in this half season to improved effort (if not results).

Of course the catch-22 is improved effort on this team would likely lead to improved results and ruin the draft position...because this team isn't completely devoid of talent. There are still enough talented players where with a little bit of effort, they'd win games. Even as bad as they've been, how many games have been 1 or 2 goal games (excluding empty netters)? They'd likely win some of those playing up to their potential.
Mcnabb has gotten his chit together, Foligno credits Rolston for making him NHL ready by the 2/3mark of last year, and every. Single. American. Who has played for him at some point has raved. I know he needs to put the proof in the pudding, but players certainly seem to love to play for him, and seem to buy into his systems when he has time to implement them.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:03 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Mcnabb has gotten his chit together, Foligno credits Rolston for making him NHL ready by the 2/3mark of last year, and every. Single. American. Who has played for him at some point has raved. I know he needs to put the proof in the pudding, but players certainly seem to love to play for him, and seem to buy into his systems when he has time to implement them.
That does seem to be the case. Van Reimsdyk Even gave him a victory lap around our defense... Not sure how to spell his name though.

However I like the sound of Eakins or (Jim/John?) Cooper. I dont think we should keep Rolston next year (unless we suddenly turn it on, but then again we usually do towards the end of the season anyway so how good a test is that?).

Old
02-27-2013, 02:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...-interest-from

Quote:
Lindy Ruff, fired as coach of the Buffalo Sabres last week, and Phil Housley played together in Buffalo for eight seasons. Both were extremely popular there. It wouldn't be surprising if Housley, the former South St. Paul High School star who this winter coached the U.S. junior national men's hockey team to a gold medal in the world championships in Russia, gets interest from the Sabres, if not to succeed Ruff, then as an assistant next season.
I wonder if there is more to this than just a guess because he played here?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
I wonder if there is more to this than just a guess because he played here?
This is all Housley had to say on it last week:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I've seen Housley's name thrown around in here so .. Phil Housley on Lindy Ruff being fired as Sabres coach, his future:
Quote:
Phil Housley wasn’t contacted by the Buffalo Sabres after Lindy Ruff was fired after 16 years as coach, but the ex-NHL defenseman could emerge as a candidate somewhere this summer, if not sooner.

Housley, who coached the United States to the gold medal at the world junior championships, said being behind the bench in the NHL is his goal.

“I haven’t really pursued anything at this point,” Housley said in a phone interview Wednesday. “Sometimes you can’t just pick where you want to go. It’s the opportunity.”
Quote:
Housley is the head coach at Stillwater Area High School in Minnesota, and the world junior tournament is his most significant experience.

“I really enjoyed it,” Housley said, pointing to everything from camp to the tournament itself. “Once you have a chance to reflect, you realize what a great accomplishment that was.”

Housley hasn’t had any contact with Buffalo, the team for which he played his first eight NHL seasons. But that’s not all that surprising, he said, given that during a season most teams are enthralled with their own organizations.
Quote:
It’s possible Rolston has the same kind of success as Bylsma or Boudreau and becomes Buffalo’s coach for the long term. But it’s also possible Regier or a new general manager will be undertaking a coaching search this summer.

Undoubtedly other teams will too, and at that point Housley could become an attractive candidate for teams looking for a fresh approach.

“I wouldn’t say if an opportunity came, one way or another, what I would do,” Housley said.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Boy, I seem to remember the "faking injury" from Hasek being a myth. Unless you're just talking out your ass, for effect.... Post an article from a reputable source (not "my friends brother used to work for the Zamboni repair crew at the arena during the Hasek years") that proves he faked it. You're not one of "those guys" are you? You know, the kind that make stuff up in hopes no one asks you to prove a point? We have enough of those around here
His handling of events in '97 after being questioned about his injury does make for easy speculation that Dom was in fact faking and attempting to oust Ted Nolan. Jim Kelley had reason to put it in print, he was privvy to much of what was going on behind the scenes up through and including the off-season shenanigans that ushered in the Regier/Ruff era and kept Hasek happy. Jim Kelley, head of the NHL Writers' Association and long-time Sabres beat reporter questioned Hasek. This isn't a "hey, I know a guy" things, this was the most respected hockey reporter in Buffalo, one who went on to a national level of coverage of the sport, albeit mostly in Canada.

Kelley was not Bucky. He was not Sullivan. He was of the ilk of guys like LeBrun and Bob McKenzie, of that high of a regard for his ability and discretion as a reporter and columnist.

02-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Driftwood
Ron Rolston Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
His handling of events in '97 after being questioned about his injury does make for easy speculation that Dom was in fact faking and attempting to oust Ted Nolan. Jim Kelley had reason to put it in print, he was privvy to much of what was going on behind the scenes up through and including the off-season shenanigans that ushered in the Regier/Ruff era and kept Hasek happy. Jim Kelley, head of the NHL Writers' Association and long-time Sabres beat reporter questioned Hasek. This isn't a "hey, I know a guy" things, this was the most respected hockey reporter in Buffalo, one who went on to a national level of coverage of the sport, albeit mostly in Canada.

Kelley was not Bucky. He was not Sullivan. He was of the ilk of guys like LeBrun and Bob McKenzie, of that high of a regard for his ability and discretion as a reporter and columnist.
Wasn't it something regarding him hanging out with Frank Musil from Ottawa during the series? It's been awhile. I vividly remember Hasek getting booed repeatedly during Lindy's first few home games.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best in the World View Post
It was just something I thought of. I'm not saying "Ted Nolan SHOULD be the next head coach" I'm just asking what other people thought of him and his style of coaching. Don't know why everyone is yelling at me.
He was the rah-rah guy on the Hartford staff before coming over to Buffalo. It was reported he tended to rely upon his assistants to implement systems (which he did here in Buffalo with Lever, Terry Martin and Paul Theriault), the X's and O's part of the game. Long gone, never expect to see him in Buffalo again. From what I know of his style of team building, it was rather old school -- Canadian Ballet outings and the like. If a guy was part of the clique, they stood together. If not, they didn't.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
Wasn't it something regarding him hanging out with Frank Musil from Ottawa during the series? It's been awhile. I vividly remember Hasek getting booed repeatedly during Lindy's first few home games.
No, it had to do with Hasek and Nolan hating one another and Dom pulling a hissy-fit that ultimately ousted the team from the playoffs and then cost both Muckler and Nolan their jobs.

Back to the topic, Rolston might just impress enough if he can get blood from some of the stones on this team. Porter works hard (essentially Ellis with a little bit more speed), Gerbe and Stafford have skated better under him so far (not that isn't simply getting out from under the previous coach), and he's had success with Foligno and McNabb in the past. Maybe he gets them rowing in the right direction.

That said, I suspect he's back in Rochester next fall.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:40 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
He was the rah-rah guy on the Hartford staff before coming over to Buffalo. It was reported he tended to rely upon his assistants to implement systems (which he did here in Buffalo with Lever, Terry Martin and Paul Theriault), the X's and O's part of the game. Long gone, never expect to see him in Buffalo again. From what I know of his style of team building, it was rather old school -- Canadian Ballet outings and the like. If a guy was part of the clique, they stood together. If not, they didn't.
This makes a lot of sense with Barnaby's comments about how big "Nolan guys" were run out of town after Lindy took over. I guess the room was that fractured because of this.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Coaches that have that power or have positive emotion from the players can change a lot.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:03 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
No, it had to do with Hasek and Nolan hating one another and Dom pulling a hissy-fit that ultimately ousted the team from the playoffs and then cost both Muckler and Nolan their jobs.

Back to the topic, Rolston might just impress enough if he can get blood from some of the stones on this team. Porter works hard (essentially Ellis with a little bit more speed), Gerbe and Stafford have skated better under him so far (not that isn't simply getting out from under the previous coach), and he's had success with Foligno and McNabb in the past. Maybe he gets them rowing in the right direction.

That said, I suspect he's back in Rochester next fall.
I expect that to happen.

Or, given all the talk of the one on one work he's been doing with guys, I could see his being an assistant to whomever gets the permanent gig.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:42 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/rol...hes-top-shelf/

My old boss Mo talking about Ronny.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
If Rolston does well getting the team back to playing a simple, smart and aggressive game, as well as helping the young guys improve...

Would there be any objection to keeping him on as an assistant (and dumping Patrick)? Assuming he'd want to.

Seems to me that his strengths would be a perfect fit for an assistant role here.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:28 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
If Rolston does well getting the team back to playing a simple, smart and aggressive game, as well as helping the young guys improve...

Would there be any objection to keeping him on as an assistant (and dumping Patrick)? Assuming he'd want to.

Seems to me that his strengths would be a perfect fit for an assistant role here.
Eh... I wouldn't hate it I guess, but if we're giving the HC job to someone else, it seems like Rolston's biggest impact in the organization would be made by going back to Rochester and developing the kids. Unless we bring in a coach that doesn't have a good track record with young players.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If he interviews and is not the candidate the new GM selects as head coach, I suspect he's back as the head coach of the Amerks next year. Or maybe not back at all. It seems odd that he'd be retained as an assistant by a new HC.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
If he interviews and is not the candidate the new GM selects as head coach, I suspect he's back as the head coach of the Amerks next year. Or maybe not back at all. It seems odd that he'd be retained as an assistant by a new HC.
Oh yeah, I don't see it happening. Just curious on the interest.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
I can't see him going back to Rochester after a taste in the bigs. If he doesn't get the gig, I suspect he'll move on, regardless of the position: NHL assistant, NHL head coach, AHL head coach.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
I always perceived this the other way around - Muckler and Nolan had their own issues, Nolan got Muckler canned and then Dom said some things about Nolan. To me, Hasek was a faction, albeit a large one, in the dynamic of a larger front-office power struggle.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I always perceived this the other way around - Muckler and Nolan had their own issues, Nolan got Muckler canned and then Dom said some things about Nolan. To me, Hasek was a faction, albeit a large one, in the dynamic of a larger front-office power struggle.
Hasek was the biggest reason for the power struggle. The factional struggle was devisive in a way people on the outside of the situation may not fully know. Suffice to say, Hasek and Nolan would not have been on the same team the next fall. One was going to no longer be in Buffalo.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I can't see him going back to Rochester after a taste in the bigs. If he doesn't get the gig, I suspect he'll move on, regardless of the position: NHL assistant, NHL head coach, AHL head coach.
That's my thought. I'm trying to think of AHL guys who got called up as interim HC's and didn't get the full time job but am struggling to come up with examples. It doesn't strike me as particularly likely he would go back to Rochester if he's not Buffalo's HC next year. That's a demotion within the organization both in terms of position (NHL assistant being perceived as a better job) and salary. My guess is he's in a different organization next season.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:05 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
That's my thought. I'm trying to think of AHL guys who got called up as interim HC's and didn't get the full time job but am struggling to come up with examples. It doesn't strike me as particularly likely he would go back to Rochester if he's not Buffalo's HC next year. That's a demotion within the organization both in terms of position (NHL assistant being perceived as a better job) and salary. My guess is he's in a different organization next season.
A lot would depend on his contract.

He may not be allowed to move on.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Screw this guy... I have no interest in him coaching the Sabres in the future.

Darcy needs to go, an let the new guy hire a coach.

Both GM and Coach need to be from outside the organization.

Closed Thread