HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

2013 Ottawa Concert Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
  #76
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear
 
Indy on the Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,691
vCash: 500
+1 for Japandroids.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:56 PM
  #77
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,479
vCash: 1413
I am looking forward to Rush and BB Kings. My eleven year old is geeked about seeing "Fun."

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:28 PM
  #78
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Bluesfest just tweeted a "big announcement" is coming in a couple hours.

My money is in Taylor Swift being announced.

littleD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:59 PM
  #79
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Maybe they'll announce that The National will be playing.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
  #80
SelleckStache
Registered User
 
SelleckStache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,691
vCash: 50
Have never seen Japandroids live. I have always wanted to see them in a dark, sweaty, basement venue.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
  #81
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 500
Very disappointed. Just get a bunch of bands that already played here in the last few years to headline again. Something different like Alice in Chains or Nine Inch Nails would have been nice but what can you do.

93gilmour93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
  #82
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Very disappointed. Just get a bunch of bands that already played here in the last few years to headline again. Something different like Alice in Chains or Nine Inch Nails would have been nice but what can you do.
Is this even realistic? Nine Inch Nails basically don't even exist anymore, haven't toured in years, and Trent announced yesterday that his new lineup will play some shows in the next couple years.

littleD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
  #83
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
New name at the top of the list of Bluesfest acts on their website...

Bjork is the headliner for the final Saturday.

littleD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
  #84
93gilmour93
Registered User
 
93gilmour93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Is this even realistic? Nine Inch Nails basically don't even exist anymore, haven't toured in years, and Trent announced yesterday that his new lineup will play some shows in the next couple years.
It's realistic and if not them then how about a band with a bit of edge. Here's The Hip playing there 3000 show in ottawa

93gilmour93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  #85
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 12,307
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
It's realistic and if not them then how about a band with a bit of edge. Here's The Hip playing there 3000 show in ottawa
Try living in Kingston.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
  #86
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,961
vCash: 50
Looks like I might be busy.

Definitely going to go to:

Rush, Fun., Zac Brown Band, The Tragically Hip, Tegan and Sara, Great Big Sea, Weezer, Belle and Sebastian, Alex Clare, Passion Pit, Flogging Molly, Mother Mother, Atlas Genius, Ra Ra Riot, The Joy Formidable....Maybe some others...I'll start listening to everyone on the list.


Last edited by Marvelous Manked: 02-27-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:06 PM
  #87
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Very disappointed. Just get a bunch of bands that already played here in the last few years to headline again. Something different like Alice in Chains or Nine Inch Nails would have been nice but what can you do.
Instead of focusing on the headliners, go check out the performers playing on the smaller stages. The best part of a festival is moving around and discovering new artists.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
  #88
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,912
vCash: 500
Pretty weak again IMO. Significantly better than last year, but a lot of acts that are in town all the time.

Might go a day or two, but it looks like Bluesfest is steering my money to Osheaga for a second year in a row.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:13 PM
  #89
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,961
vCash: 50
Is Osheaga all at one place like Bluesfest?

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
  #90
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Is Osheaga all at one place like Bluesfest?
Yep, and they pack as many acts into 3 days. Its also a SIGNIFICANTLY younger crowd. Id say about 90% under 30. Its definitely more of a party.

Last year its lineup blew Bluesfests out of the water. It wasnt even close to comparable. Again, the acts skew much younger, but Im a fan of a lot of older stuff and still found their lineup to be much much better.

Biggest problem I had with Osheaga was a lack of bathrooms, the venue being kinda far, and the nearly complete lack of grass to sit on. Most of the venue is rocky dirt. It was also beyond hot...like 35C and sunny, and that really drained us, but hey, thats not their fault.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:20 PM
  #91
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,961
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Yep, and they pack as many acts into 3 days. Its also a SIGNIFICANTLY younger crowd. Id say about 90% under 30. Its definitely more of a party.

Last year its lineup blew Bluesfests out of the water. It wasnt even close to comparable. Again, the acts skew much younger, but Im a fan of a lot of older stuff and still found their lineup to be much much better.

Biggest problem I had with Osheaga was a lack of bathrooms, the venue being kinda far, and the nearly complete lack of grass to sit on. Most of the venue is rocky dirt. It was also beyond hot...like 35C and sunny, and that really drained us, but hey, thats not their fault.
And after a quick search it looks like it's near the casino? Sounds like a great trip with me and my buddies.

How much is a weekend pass? I just looked at their lineup and Florence + The Machine, Black Keys, Sheepdogs (don't judge), Of Monsters and Men, Arkells, Tame Impala, Metric, and M83 are all bands I'd love to see that aren't coming to Bluesfest...Hmmmmmm....

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
  #92
Madskillz65
Registered User
 
Madskillz65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Only been to Ottawa once, and never been to Bluefest before...

If i buy the 3 day pack for $99 do I have to buy an extra ticket for access to a band like Rush, or Taylor Swift if she plays?

Also is Rush going to be GA? Does it matter when I get it?

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
  #93
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
The other problem with Osheaga is that because they have so many acts, most of the earlier acts only get about 45 minutes to perform and the festival seems rushed. Only the main headliners get anywhere from 90 to 120 minutes.

I've been to Osheaga a couple of times, and I agree that their lineup tends to be much better. However, as an overall festival experience, I don't think it's that great.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
  #94
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madskillz65 View Post
Only been to Ottawa once, and never been to Bluefest before...

If i buy the 3 day pack for $99 do I have to buy an extra ticket for access to a band like Rush, or Taylor Swift if she plays?

Also is Rush going to be GA? Does it matter when I get it?
You're probably better off buying the 5-day pass, which allows you admittance to any five days. You can always sell or give out one or two of the days you don't attend. If you buy a 3-day pass and then another ticket to see Rush, you're probably going to spend $150 anyway. I imagine the single-day ticket to see Rush will be $50 or more.

Unless you buy Gold Circle Passes, which is reserved seating but not necessarily with great views, the entire festival is GA. So if you want to see Rush and get a good seat, you should be lining up when the gates open at 5:30. If you don't care where you'll be, then you can arrive at any time.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
  #95
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
And after a quick search it looks like it's near the casino? Sounds like a great trip with me and my buddies.

How much is a weekend pass? I just looked at their lineup and Florence + The Machine, Black Keys, Sheepdogs (don't judge), Of Monsters and Men, Arkells, Tame Impala, Metric, and M83 are all bands I'd love to see that aren't coming to Bluesfest...Hmmmmmm....
That is last years lineup.

Its at Parc Jean Drapeau, which is on an island. Dont know where the casino is.

I think it was like $275.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:29 PM
  #96
Marvelous Manked
Director of Glitter
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,961
vCash: 50
Also what counts as a youth pass? 18? 19? 13? 50?

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
  #97
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
The other problem with Osheaga is that because they have so many acts, most of the earlier acts only get about 45 minutes to perform and the festival seems rushed. Only the main headliners get anywhere from 90 to 120 minutes.

I've been to Osheaga a couple of times, and I agree that their lineup tends to be much better. However, as an overall festival experience, I don't think it's that great.
True, but as a frequent full passport buyer of Bluesfest, my biggest complaint is that its too drawn out. Its just so damn draining going every day for well over a week.

I think an inbetween would be best. 5 days, on a long weekend, with 3 full days.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  #98
SilverSeven
Registered User
 
SilverSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,912
vCash: 500
Also, no need to be ashamed for the Sheepdogs. We were front row and they were fantastic. One of the best live performances I have ever seen.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
  #99
Madskillz65
Registered User
 
Madskillz65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
You're probably better off buying the 5-day pass, which allows you admittance to any five days. You can always sell or give out one or two of the days you don't attend. If you buy a 3-day pass and then another ticket to see Rush, you're probably going to spend $150 anyway. I imagine the single-day ticket to see Rush will be $50 or more.

Unless you buy Gold Circle Passes, which is reserved seating but not necessarily with great views, the entire festival is GA. So if you want to see Rush and get a good seat, you should be lining up when the gates open at 5:30. If you don't care where you'll be, then you can arrive at any time.
How can that be that I get to see Rush and all the other bands that day for $33?

Madskillz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:39 PM
  #100
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad
 
stempniaksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Also what counts as a youth pass? 18? 19? 13? 50?
Last year was 21, I would assume it's gonna be the same this year.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.