HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 03:21 PM
ahplk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
In today's NHL you can't fully build your team from the draft, you have to make some timely trades and signings as well. ROR is a pretty rare piece to come on to the trade market (which is why he will bring really good value). A 22 year old center who has already proven he is an elite defensive center and a #2C. This represents a chance to fully solidify the #2C (and possibly #1C role if you feel ROR has a 65 point upside) for a decade. Little for as good as he is, he is a #2C or RW. Burmi has all the talent to be up there, but hasn't put it together. Scheifele is years away from being at ROR's level. It isn't like Winnipeg is getting a #3C for a year or 2, they are getting an elite #2 for at very least 4 years and likely as long as they want him.

IMO swapping out Little for ROR in the lineup alone could put Winnipeg over the hump and into the playoffs this season (maybe as a 7 or 8). Plus you get younger and better defensively. Using a prospect to buy the difference between Little and ROR would be good practice for Winnipeg IMO. The hangup would be how much more does Winnipeg value ROR over Little compared to what the Avs see the difference as. The Avs probably see the difference as somebody like Trouba, Winnipeg sees it more as Yuen.

How are the Jets on goalie prospects?
I think you're bang on with the difference that each side sees.

As for goalies, it's a wait and see. Hellebuyck and Kasdorf have been the only notable prospect so far this year, both winning multiple rookie of the week honours in their NCAA conferences.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:25 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahplk View Post
I think you're bang on with the difference that each side sees.

As for goalies, it's a wait and see. Hellebuyck and Kasdorf have been the only notable prospect so far this year, both winning multiple rookie of the week honours in their NCAA conferences.
Do you think Winnipeg would be interested in Aittokallio as being a part of the deal? He is only 20 and has a world of talent, even if a bit raw. I would think that Millan and Patterson would be available as well, but with their age compared to Pavelec it wouldn't really be of interest to Winnipeg.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Little is up for a new contract and will certainly ask for a big raise. Furthermore, he can go to arbitration and take the one year ruling and then he'll be a UFA the year after.

I'm not as convinced that Little is someone Avs are head over heels in love with as some of you are.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Little is up for a new contract and will certainly ask for a big raise. Furthermore, he can go to arbitration and take the one year ruling and then he'll be a UFA the year after.

I'm not as convinced that Little is someone Avs are head over heels in love with as some of you are.
I'm just taking the information at face value and going under the assumption that the Jets would prefer to give up Little rather than Burmistrov.

I think Burmistrov actually makes more sense for the Avs for the reasons you illustrate above and I know that's the kid I'd be asking for along with Trouba but I don't see how the Jets do that one.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:38 PM
ahplk

Quote:
Do you think Winnipeg would be interested in Aittokallio as being a part of the deal? He is only 20 and has a world of talent, even if a bit raw. I would think that Millan and Patterson would be available as well, but with their age compared to Pavelec it wouldn't really be of interest to Winnipeg.
We've drafted 3 goalies in the past two drafts and with Pavelec signing a 5 year contract this past summer, I think it's a case of wait and see where development goes for the young guys before management goes trading for a top prospect in the net.

Side note...Cory Schneider and Eddie Lack of the Canucks both had great success on our AHL team before they moved from Manitoba to St. John's...so at least our AHL management knew what it was doing with regards to development at one point in time.

Last edited by ahplk: 02-27-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Side note on AHL goalie development.
Old
02-27-2013, 03:39 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Who would the Bruins realistically give us? Some interesting pieces there, right?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Who would the Bruins realistically give us? Some interesting pieces there, right?
For ROR? I don't know for sure, I can't really think of anything that would make sense for either team.

Your thoughts?

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
If Colorado can manage to pry Little (pretty much a given according to TPS) + Kane/Bogosian/Trouba in a trade for ROR+, I'll eat my hat.
One of those things is not like the other...

Also let's not assume little is a piece in the deal. They may have wanted him in the past, but not for O'reilly. O'reilly will be traded for a piece that will be important in the future which Little most likely isn't. The only way I see him in the deal is if it's:

Little+Trouba/Scheifele for O'reilly+

Last edited by avsfan09: 02-27-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 03:44 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
That would be a really hard trade to pull off for both sides. Boston would want to give up Peverley ++ and the Avs would want Krejci or Lucic. I really don't see any realistic deal to be had there.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:45 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Your thoughts?
They've been scouting us along with WPG/NYR/OTT as well, but we haven't really mentioned any possible dudes from them.

It seems pretty clear though that these teams, in addition to O'Reilly, are scouting guys on our active roster... Sherman continues to want those two big pieces and it will mean O'Ry + something for sure.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:46 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
I know it probably never happen but Hamilton would look great. No one saw the EJ trade coming...

Old
02-27-2013, 03:46 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
One of those things is not like the other...

Also let's not assume little is a piece in the deal. They may have wanted him in the past, but not for O'reilly. O'reilly will be traded for a piece that will be important in the future which Little most likely isn't. The only way I see him in the deal is if it's

Little+Trouba/Scheifele for O'reilly+
Agreed. Little would be the 'roster player' in the deal, not the centerpiece.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrabb1t View Post
Would never do that deal. Florida are a better team than that and won't finish in the bottom3. At least there's no guarantee of it what so ever.

I think everyone agrees ROR and Kulikov have pretty much the same value and then were effectively doing this trade on the side:

Duncan Siemens, Stefan Elliott, Michael Sgarbossa, Ryan O'Byrne, 2013 2nd Round Pick and 2014 1st Round Pick

->

Shawn Matthias, and 2013 1st Round Pick

That's so sickening overpayment that it's not even funny.
In case you forgot to read my last line I'll let you get to that now and then respond

Old
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
They've been scouting us along with WPG/NYR/OTT as well, but we haven't really mentioned any possible dudes from them.

It seems pretty clear though that these teams, in addition to O'Reilly, are scouting guys on our active roster... Sherman continues to want those two big pieces and it will mean O'Ry + something for sure.
My guess is that Sherman gave the real interested teams a list of players that could be included in the deal, and those teams are trying to scout those players.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
That would be a really hard trade to pull off for both sides. Boston would want to give up Peverley ++ and the Avs would want Krejci or Lucic. I really don't see any realistic deal to be had there.
I could see them parting with David Krejci in a trade but O'Reilly would just go back to square one, Seguin being the 1C, Bergeron being the 2C and O'Reilly being the 3C

Old
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I could see them parting with David Krejci in a trade but O'Reilly would just go back to square one, Seguin being the 1C, Bergeron being the 2C and O'Reilly being the 3C
My guess is that Seguin would be playing wing, but the point stands. I really don't see Boston as in the hunt for ROR.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
In case you forgot to read my last line I'll let you get to that now and then respond
That line makes it seem like you liked the trade and were mad it couldn't happen in real leaf, which is weird cause our second this year, one of our best prospects and our first next year for a 3C and 1st this year is a heavy price to pay.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Dougie!

I wish. I bet the Bruins wouldn't even trade him straight up ROR.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
ahplk

How badly do you want Zanon out of town? He's been linked to Winnipeg rumours in the past so I could see him as one of the players scouted (sadly...sweet beard though).

Old
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dougie!

I wish. I bet the Bruins wouldn't even trade him straight up ROR.
Ror+(small plus) for Dougie

Draft Mackinnon or other qualified center

Profit???

Old
02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
That line makes it seem like you liked the trade and were mad it couldn't happen in real leaf, which is weird cause our second this year, one of our best prospects and our first next year for a 3C and 1st this year is a heavy price to pay.
It was my plea to make the trade in EA Sports but let me explain to you in case you didn't see the point of the trade, HYPOTHETICALLY, if Florida finished with the 3rd overall pick, you're actually telling me you wouldn't make that trade?

A fringe NHL player Sgarbossa who could potentially become a regular, two good defensive prospects, a 3rd pairing defenseman, a 2nd round pick this year and a 1st next year plus Ryan O'Reilly for a 1st pairing left-handed defenseman, a 25 year old 3rd line centre and the 3rd overall pick with the potential to draft Seth Jones, I'm not sure why you wouldn't do that given the situation, but it would never happen because Florida would hang up the phone laughing. It was a hypothetical plea, but one I would do in a heartbeat given the opportunity of it actually happening

Old
avsfan09

Quote:
How badly do you want Zanon out of town? He's been linked to Winnipeg rumours in the past so I could see him as one of the players scouted (sadly...sweet beard though).
I actually think he's a serviceable bottom pairing defenceman who's being played way too much due to lack of depth and EJ (our minute eater) being out.

Old
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
I actually think he's a serviceable bottom pairing defenceman who's being played way too much due to lack of depth and EJ (our minute eater) being out.
Yup, hes got to play his role of a 3rd pairing d-man but he isn't able to on this team

Old
02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:

Yeah, they've been scouting us, but I'm just not sure if I see a fit there, I don't know what pieces they could send our way, other than Seguin, and I don't see them wanting to trade him, he's a budding star imo

Old
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Boston and Colorado don't look like good trading partners. My guess is that they are looking at adding a depth defender. Not ROR.

It wouldn't make sense to me, for them to deal for another center. They are set down the middle.

Closed Thread