HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
02-18-2013, 11:57 PM
CoDD

vCash: 500
A question for people who watch the oil kings often.

What are the main reasons for Lazar's low ratio of assists to goals, approximatily 0,5?

I don't recall a recent CHL 1st rounder with that kind of statline, except Etem with 37g 28a and a ratio of 0,75.

CoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:01 AM
CC321

Will Lazar's red-green color blindness limit his passing ability in the split second decisions needed in the NHL? Are there other color blind NHLers playing now? No sarcasm intended, serious questions.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...lazar-pt3.html

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:33 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Kyle McLaren is color blind. He had a long career.

Not sure about any current color blind players

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:35 AM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Will Lazar's red-green color blindness limit his passing ability in the split second decisions needed in the NHL? Are there other color blind NHLers playing now? No sarcasm intended, serious questions.

As someone who is colorblind, I imagine that the only thing hockey related that would be hindered for Lazar is his ability to differentiate between the red arrow and the green arrow when playing on a friends team in NHL 13.

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Who are his wingers these days, or does it get shuffled around a lot?
Henrik Samuelsson and Dylan Wruck. Sometimes Samuelsson will take draws, usually in the offensive zone, but Lazar primarily plays center, not wing, but is capable of playing either.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I think Fisher is more like his upside, it's just that he's an exceptionally safe bet to come at least very close to realizing that potential. There will be many guys with better upside taken after him in the draft. I'm betting an extremely small number end up better NHL players. You are typically only going to find fifteen-ish 20 goal scorers in each draft (give or take maybe five). I really like his chances of cracking that barrier at the NHL level.
This is exactly how I feel as well though I think his upside may be somewhat greater than Fisher who I'd love to have on the Oliers.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:08 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDD View Post

What are the main reasons for Lazar's low ratio of assists to goals, approximatily 0,5?

I don't recall a recent CHL 1st rounder with that kind of statline, except Etem with 37g 28a and a ratio of 0,75.
Matt Puempel now has a ridiculous 27G, 9A stat line.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDD View Post

There are many on here who have seen much more of the Oil Kings than I have, but I've seen quite a few.

I'd say one big factor in why he doesn't record a lot of assists, is because he usually moves the puck to his wingers before the offensive zone, and almost always drives the center lane to the net. It contributes heavily to offense for the Oil Kings, but often times leads to him not getting a 2nd assist.

Another huge factor, and one I can't seem to understand, is that he is always the net front guy on the PP (not sure if this is still true of late, haven't seen an Oil Kings game since early January). The Oil Kings have one of the best distributors in the WHL in St Croix, so they use Lazar right in front of the net, so even on PP's where his net front presence contributes to the team scoring, he doesn't register a point.

I'm surprised they don't have him on the left half wall and set up his one-timer on the PP, his shot is that potent, I'd like to see him get Stamkos like set ups there (probably will next season, when the vets move on).

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
There are many on here who have seen much more of the Oil Kings than I have, but I've seen quite a few.

I'd say one big factor in why he doesn't record a lot of assists, is because he usually moves the puck to his wingers before the offensive zone, and almost always drives the center lane to the net. It contributes heavily to offense for the Oil Kings, but often times leads to him not getting a 2nd assist.

Another huge factor, and one I can't seem to understand, is that he is always the net front guy on the PP (not sure if this is still true of late, haven't seen an Oil Kings game since early January). The Oil Kings have one of the best distributors in the WHL in St Croix, so they use Lazar right in front of the net, so even on PP's where his net front presence contributes to the team scoring, he doesn't register a point.

I'm surprised they don't have him on the left half wall and set up his one-timer on the PP, his shot is that potent, I'd like to see him get Stamkos like set ups there (probably will next season, when the vets move on).
Exactly this^

Well said.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

This is what they have done since January and when you saw them... it is why he is scoring now all of a sudden... imagine, playing to a player's strength...

In this case Lazar is the LW and is able to sneak into openings... he got #30 on Sunday that way... wide open and got two whacks at his own rebound... otherwise his first job is support the cycle... unglamorous job but he does it very well and would be team leader in third assists if they had those probably

Still don't think he has the vision to be a top-line player... but that is not what a team will take him for... he is classic middle six power forward... maybe more to a 3rd line than a 2nd... but he is going to be a contributor for a long time

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:54 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
This is what they have done since January and when you saw them... it is why he is scoring now all of a sudden... imagine, playing to a player's strength...

In this case Lazar is the LW and is able to sneak into openings... he got #30 on Sunday that way... wide open and got two whacks at his own rebound... otherwise his first job is support the cycle... unglamorous job but he does it very well and would be team leader in third assists if they had those probably

Still don't think he has the vision to be a top-line player... but that is not what a team will take him for... he is classic middle six power forward... maybe more to a 3rd line than a 2nd... but he is going to be a contributor for a long time
No it is not. He is still parked in front of the net on the pp.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
He's up to 32 goals in 60 games after scoring 2 yesterday afternoon. 14 points in his last 11 games.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Kyle McLaren is color blind. He had a long career.

Not sure about any current color blind players
no but he'll find the Islander's 3rd jersey to be alot better looking.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's up to 32 goals in 60 games after scoring 2 yesterday afternoon. 14 points in his last 11 games.
16 goals in his last 17 games. Gotta think he's moving back up towards the top 10, no matter how few assists he has.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
I am the Liquor

Curtis Lazar with 34 goals now. Leads the Oil Kings and is 13th in the WHL for goals, ahead of Shinkaruk and Klimchuk. Eight games left, could hit 40.

The "limited offensive upside" crowd is strangely silent.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:48 AM
PumpkinBomb

Considering the highest drafted Canadian forward had 9 regular season goals last year, i'm quite excited for this year's draft.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

this kid is gonna be a steal if he gets past #20...his all-around game is exceptional and scores in way sorts of ways...not just a sniper but can grind out goals as well

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
I am the Liquor

ISS Hockey ‏@ISShockey

ISS Top 30 Roundup #11 Curtis Lazar @CurtisLazar95 ISS favorite & team leader. Found his goal scoring touch with 18 goals in last 20 gms.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
ISS Hockey ‏@ISShockey

ISS Top 30 Roundup #11 Curtis Lazar @CurtisLazar95 ISS favorite & team leader. Found his goal scoring touch with 18 goals in last 20 gms.
His scoring success as of late comes as no surprise to those who have actually watched him play. I have him as a 10-15 guy all year and he is really showing why lately with his strong play. Will excel in playoffs

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:18 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

LOL.

I'm colourblind.

I'm sure there are a TON of colourblind players.

Would not effect hockey skill in any way.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
LOL.

I'm colourblind.

I'm sure there are a TON of colourblind players.

Would not effect hockey skill in any way.
Not to mention there are various types of colourblindness and varying degrees. I am sure its no problem (and it certainly hasnt affected him up to this point).

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post

Maybe against the Wild...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Beerfish

So when he scores he thinks the period is over and when the period is over he thinks he scores?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:59 AM
monkeywrench

Had another solid night with a Gordie howe hattrick

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Had another solid night with a Gordie howe hattrick
And it's not like he grabbed a small guy or just "showed up"

I REALLY REALLY am starting to like this kid.

No video from lastnight, but the kid is willing.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote