HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne traded to Philly for a conditional 3rd/4th rounder

Old
02-27-2013, 02:02 PM
sweatypickle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He wasn't traded during the season. Who is revising history?

You want to know why Lubo was traded? Here are his stats the season before he signed his deal with one year remaining on his existing contract and then his stats after he signed the deal, but prior to the new contract and NTC kicking in.

2006-07 GP-69 G-18 A-40 Pts-58 PIMs-26 +/- +1
2007-08 GP-82 G-8 A-33 Pts-41 PIMs-34 +/- -18

Lubo was a turnover machine during the 2007-08 season.

Sorry, but it had everything to do with poor performance. Ask Dean or anyone else in the organization you can trust.

I remember Dean taking heat from some agents, but he made the right move for the organization. Visnovsky should thank him for giving him a contract that no team would have given him after the 2007-08 debacle.
whatever the case it's arguably the most important trade he made for the organization...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Didn't DL also make the final decision to do a full rebuild right around when Vis was traded? If I remember correctly, he does not look back at that trade with any pride, but something done out of necessity.
Pretty much. He wanted the much younger guys Greene and Stoll over Visnovsky.

Greene gave the Kings something they hadn't had in a young defenseman since they traded Gleason away, and that needed to be fixed.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Didn't DL also make the final decision to do a full rebuild right around when Vis was traded? If I remember correctly, he does not look back at that trade with any pride, but something done out of necessity.
I'm pretty sure the rebuild was in full throttle the minute he took the job. Vets like Handzus, Blake, etc. were signed because they didn't cost any assets aside from cap space, which we had tons of, and to help mentor the young guys while not making us look like a complete joke on the ice. IIRC, only Handzus was signed long-term from the early rebuilding days.

Trades like Demitra for O'Sullivan and a 1st, and then Gleason and Belanger for Jack Johnson and Oleg Tverdovsky (salary cap dump) were done early in to give us good future assets at the expense of established veteran players.

The rebuild started before Visnovsky even signed that contract really.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:18 PM
DeeMeck

A portion of the team was also up for sale at that time of the Visnovsky trade and that was the main factor whether you believe it or not.

The trade came down not long after Lombardi's "Kings tattoo on the ass" speech.

Lubo tattooed "Kings" on his ass and was shuttled away because he made too much money and AEG wanted to cut salary so they could sell a minority stake. DL took some deserved heat for the deal...but I believe it is what AEG forced him to do.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:24 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Think of what Philly did to Jeff Carter...
and Mike Richards....and James Van Riemsdyk, doesn't seem to hurt them

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:32 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
A portion of the team was also up for sale at that time of the Visnovsky trade and that was the main factor whether you believe it or not.

The trade came down not long after Lombardi's "Kings tattoo on the ass" speech.

Lubo tattooed "Kings" on his ass and was shuttled away because he made too much money and AEG wanted to cut salary so they could sell a minority stake. DL took some deserved heat for the deal...but I believe it is what AEG forced him to do.
Didn't JMFJ do the same thing? And before we knew it, he was gone lol

Last edited by DaAnimal: 02-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.
DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:47 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Didn't JMFJ do the same thing? And before we knew it, he was gone lol
No, he was never given a NTC like Vis was. Johnson negotiates all of his own deals though and doesn't have an agent. It was the NTC that rubbed people the wrong way not really the long term contract.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:50 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
No, he was never given a NTC like Vis was. Johnson negotiates all of his own deals though and doesn't have an agent. It was the NTC that rubbed people the wrong way not really the long term contract.
No no, I meant the tattoo part.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
No no, I meant the tattoo part.
Well then we'd never let anybody go that started here.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Mattias

Something minor to add was how Lubo said DL didn't even brace him for the imminent news of being traded. Just a brief phone call of "you're traded. bye" and that really upset him.

Then JJ said basically the same thing. "You're going to be here a long time" then followed with a very brief call of "you're traded. bye".

From this I'm just going to guess the business end of trades and GM-ing is a whole lot more cut-throat and viscous than we all think. We've talked about how other GM's (Philly lately) have just let guys go quickly when they arn't performing 100%, but dl has kinda done the same thing in both circumstances.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
On Hard Knocks they've shown cut days during training camps. It is pretty ruthless. I imagine it feels even more so with players those GM's have known for years. There's really nothing you can tell the guy that will make him feel like he hasn't been stabbed in the back. Only exceptions are when the guys have asked for a trade or are being traded from a bottom feeder to a contender, but even still, not very many guys want to uproot their lives (especially from this city) to head somewhere else.

I totally understand why players get sulky and angry about it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Something minor to add was how Lubo said DL didn't even brace him for the imminent news of being traded. Just a brief phone call of "you're traded. bye" and that really upset him.

Then JJ said basically the same thing. "You're going to be here a long time" then followed with a very brief call of "you're traded. bye".

From this I'm just going to guess the business end of trades and GM-ing is a whole lot more cut-throat and viscous than we all think. We've talked about how other GM's (Philly lately) have just let guys go quickly when they arn't performing 100%, but dl has kinda done the same thing in both circumstances.
Richards and Carter were performing. When Carter got his first big contract he outperformed his previous year by quite a bit. When he signed the long term, cap friendly deal, Holmgren told him he wouldn't trade him before the NTC kicked in, then he traded him a year later. And trading him to Columbus was the ultimate kick in the teeth.

JvR's situation was different, his NTC didn't kick in for a few years. He also didn't earn or deserve the extention he was given as he was a healthy scratch in a number of games his last 2 seasons. He got it based on a handful of games in a 4 game playoff season against Boston.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:49 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post

Ever seen the movie Money Ball?

Hey Jeremy we traded you. Here's the number of the other team's travel secretary you should contact them right away. Good luck.

I think that's basically how it went. GMs aren't the friend of any player.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Johnny Utah

DL also traded Sean Avery to the Rangers....and Sean was happy with that. He dealt Demitra to Minny to play with Gaborik and Conroy to back to Calgary.

Visnovsky and JJ, though DL did say he was committed to them long term, the bottom line was we were going to draft Doughty, had already drafted Hickey in Lubo's case. In JJ's case, Voynov was ready. So he had to deal from strength in both cases.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:15 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I don't like this for the simple fact that Gagne is a far better option than Dwight King.
Exactly! People are pointing out how Gagne has yet to score but his speed in the lineup was needed. Penner CAN play physical but often doesn't or is too slow to get in on hits. Much like King. IMO Gagne's physical game is no worse than Carter's. I'm sure people would be ripping Carter if he was sitting at 3 goals instead of ten. Basically despite the goals Carter isn't playing much more of a Sutter style than Gagne was.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

He already scored on the PP...

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernKing View Post
Exactly! People are pointing out how Gagne has yet to score but his speed in the lineup was needed. Penner CAN play physical but often doesn't or is too slow to get in on hits. Much like King. IMO Gagne's physical game is no worse than Carter's. I'm sure people would be ripping Carter if he was sitting at 3 goals instead of ten. Basically despite the goals Carter isn't playing much more of a Sutter style than Gagne was.
Well, what does that tell you? If you are a forward and you aren't playing Sutter's game and you aren't scoring, your residence is going to be Chateau BowWow.

Carter is doing the job filling the sniper role on THIS team and Gagne wasn't.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

I Don't get how people magically learn to take a shot when they get traded off our team.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

It's only a matter of time before some of our posters add Gagne to the list of players who couldn't score with us but are scoring with another team: Moulson, Purcell and eventually, Gagne.

Gagne will have a great season for the flyers if he remains healthy!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Awesome to see from him. Hope he keeps scoring to get them into the playoffs.

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Gagne didn't fit in here so there is no use getting upset if he does well in Philly. He had a chance and it didn't work. He seems like a nice dude so I'm happy for him. We need Philly to make the Playoffs anyway.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I Don't get how people magically learn to take a shot when they get traded off our team.
When did he ever forget how? We rarely have open space for a guy like Gagne to get off good shots. The Western Conference is almost like a different hockey league than the East.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:24 AM
SoulAssassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I just spent the past weekend in LA visiting Simon. Caught both games, Colorado and Anahiem from his seats. Flew in from Toronto to see him. Even went to Seal Beach on Sunday when he was there for the promo. Kings being my team, Simon being my friend its obviously super disappointing but Im very happy for him. Maybe Im bias but we'll miss his scoring and speed a lot more then we would have missed Penner's and King's game. Im happy DL did right by him, just hope it doesnt hurt us long run.

Simon always knew how to score, they just needed to use him in the right situations. LA is where offense goes to die.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
LA is where offense goes to die.
Carter says what?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Hatter
Cann0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Gagne didn't fit in here so there is no use getting upset if he does well in Philly. He had a chance and it didn't work. He seems like a nice dude so I'm happy for him. We need Philly to make the Playoffs anyway.
Quote:
Boyle didn't fit in here so there is no use getting upset if he does well in Philly. He had a chance and it didn't work. He seems like a nice dude so I'm happy for him. We need Philly to make the Playoffs anyway.
Quote:
Moulson didn't fit in here so there is no use getting upset if he does well in Philly. He had a chance and it didn't work. He seems like a nice dude so I'm happy for him. We need Philly to make the Playoffs anyway.
Quote:
Purcell didn't fit in here so there is no use getting upset if he does well in Philly. He had a chance and it didn't work. He seems like a nice dude so I'm happy for him. We need Philly to make the Playoffs anyway.
I could go on and on.......

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote