HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 12:50 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Passes that are 15-20 feet away from me. Had about half a dozen of them last night. I call for a pass and am on the left side of the ice cutting to the middle. Lock eyes with the defenseman. A few seconds later he fires the pass to the left boards and at this point I'm now on the right side. Dude: head up, look where the guy is going, and lead the friggin pass. Comes to the bench "I saw you on the left side..." Yeah, earlier in the shift. I'm not standing still the whole game.

Another one, on the rush up the ice, I'm skating into the center ice faceoff dot, pass goes to the left boards. To whom? I see it and LUNGE and stretch for it and it's still two feet past my stick.

That said, I did launch a pass into my teammates shins and also slid it behind him on the 2-on-1. So I'm terrible too...but at least I'm within a couple feet of the guy...
It's a sad fact of life for me and I've almost gotten used to it. Almost every single pass ever sent my way is 10-20 feet away from me. Games or practice, it just doesn't matter.

I work really hard to time and aim my passes, to te point where I get lots of "nice pass" comments from the coaches and other skaters. Like 95% of the time, it goes exactly where it needs to go for the receiver to just skate into it. But 95% of the time when I get to do the receiving and shooting part of the drill, the passer sends it somewhere behind me, or so far to the side that I don't get to take a good shot. Last week even the coach sent me a crappy pass and apologized about it.

I really wouldn't care, but it makes me look like I'm much worse at playing than I really am. My husband plays too and we pass back and forth all the time without any problems.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Or slapping at the puck. It's not going to give you rabies or anything. And if you do have to chop at the puck quick (like a puck race), put some damn muscle into it!

Old
02-25-2013, 03:00 PM
newfr4u

Jarick, there are a ton of drills for passing more accurately. one my favorites is from about squirt level.

put 2 tires or cones about a stick length apart in the o-zone. orientation/location doesn't really matter right now, so to keep it simple, let's say at the top of right circle.

map out a route from the neutral zone. something like tight turn around closest offside faceoff dot, then around the center ice circle, then tight turn around another faceoff dot. nothing too long. do that with the puck, enter the zone with speed, and lay a pass through the tires. a teammate could backup your play in the neutral zone, enter the zone with you, then receive the pass on the other side of the window.

if you find yourself cheating, that is coming straight at the window for an easy pass, put another cone down and force yourself into a harder pass. then make the window between the tires smaller.

when a kid can't seem to make the pass, this usually straightens him out in a couple of weeks.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Fanned On It

Ill second the "being frustrated about errant passes" notion. I play in both the D and C2 leagues at my rink and while the C2 passing isn't that bad, the D league passing is HORRENDOUS. I could understand if these passes were being made by beginners too, but, they're not. I'm talking about lower skilled guys that have been playing for 5 years or more who still can't seem to be able to take their time, look to where the receiver is, and follow through on their pass. Just the other night in a game I was centering a line with one of the better forwards on the team who is skating the puck down the left boards. I'm sitting in the high slot on the right side (my off wing) waiting for a one-timer pass and the D still hasn't picked me up yet. I've been there for like a full 5 seconds, which is a pretty long time to be chilling in a prime scoring area. Not only does the guy take forever to even notice me, but when he does, he puts the pick about 7 feet behind me! Keep in mind, I'm set up for a one-timer with my hips open, ready to blast it. So the pick goes behind md and past our defenseman and the play is wasted all because this guy couldn't take his time and follow through on his pass.

I know it's the D league but this crap happens all the time because players who HAVD THE ABILITY won't just take their time and make the pass correctly. The guy I'm talking about also plays in C1 soo you'd think he could make an easy centering pass. Man I feel bad for his team-mates at the C1 level. Lol. Oh wait... That's gonna be me next season 😞. Womp womp.

Old
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Haha, I sometimes have the opposite problem. The main team I play for is a high level team and most of the guys are really good skates. So while our dman can make those tape to tape passes the odd time I get a breakout pass while I'm skating up the ice it's often a foot or two in front of me. Perfect if I was going a little bit quicker but I just can't skate that fast

Old
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Ozz

We're on one of our worst losing streaks ever. Things just aren't going right or well for us at all. I did have an end to end rush goal and then a primary assist on the tying goal to close the 2 goal deficit, but we lost in a shootout. I could have won the game on my shot but the puck slipped off my blade as I was getting ready to fire it through the goalie's legs, which of course I saw all the way. Ugh. Thankfully that itself didn't lose it, but it could have ended it and that's just as bad. I was playing sick too, which didn't help. Hopefully we get off the loser wagon soon, this is crazy.

Old
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
cbjbluejackets61
This is neat!

had the misfortune of hitting 4 posts in one game.. ended up losing 5-3 so if i wouldve put two of em away, we coulda got a win..

so frustrating..

Old
02-26-2013, 08:58 AM
TLow97

The guy everyone on your team yells at to move his damn feet................... dude always turns his back to the play, too. I'm pretty positive he knows how to skate hard, cuz he sure hauls ass when he has nothing but net in front of him.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:45 AM
CunniJA

Anybody else have that teammate that's always telling people about their screw ups and such but is the worst freaking player on the team?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:55 AM
mistrhanky

Oh yeah. We have a guy that *****es about everything. We are not a strong team. He is completely undisciplined though and it drives me nuts. My wife took a few pictures at a game the other day, and in only 5 pictures managed to catch the guy completely out of position. We run a very simple defensive zone faceoff alignment. Four across with one back. The inside D man lines up against the winger on the hash, and our winger lines up to his outside, so he can make a beeline to the other teams back D man. Except for this guy... he always jumps into the D man spot, doesn't tie up the winger, doesn't get back to his assignment D man, and basically just fouls the whole thing up. Infuriating.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Funkmarkoflex

My friend's team plays in C Div in his league. They were mising a player so I joined them for a game. The league made a special this season by having interdivision games a few times during this season.

We were facing 1st place in B Div (My friend's team is 6th in C)

Have you ever seen saucer passes over 3 stciks? Well, I did all night. Those guys were very good, but they went on screaming after every goal like it was ****ing NHL and taunted us all night.

We asked them to lower the pace since they were outscoring us so easily. "We play to win, ****" was their answer.

Final score: 17-1. I guess they had fun. We didn't.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
theMajor

the rink team has 3-4 ringers and now we're playing them in the finals. i love my team and we're all pretty good for having just started 2 seasons ago but most of their team has been playing for years and the ringers all play 2 divisions up normally. their best player has 37 goals through 18 games! our best player has a groin injury and another winger has a rib injury...kinda nervous about tomorrow night.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
CunniJA

Interdivision play seems silly if it's that pronounced. Sure, probably no harm in playing some C8 vs. C6 or something, but all the way from C to B?

A lot could depend ont he league people play at, but here, the difference in a C and B team is this:

C league - recreational, people tripping over blue lines, uber noob
B league - everybody there has at least played high school varsity, more likely D2 college or equivalent

Obviously, there's no possible competition there.

I wonder if your league is rethinking that idea as we speak. I can actually see the coolness for the lower team, but why would the B team want to do that? Furthermore, why would they be so obssesed with not only winning but running up the score like that?

Hey, you guys scored on them though, so they should be embarrased.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:38 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
The guy everyone on your team yells at to move his damn feet................... dude always turns his back to the play, too. I'm pretty positive he knows how to skate hard, cuz he sure hauls ass when he has nothing but net in front of him.
We have one guy like this. He coasts around in the defensive zone and manages to find energy when it comes to getting a breakaway. He saves so much energy, he also takes longer shifts which effs up the lines. If he put in have the effort he does to get breakaways into the defensive zone, he would be a really, really, good player.

It is also frustrating because he has the speed and lateral quickness to go around guys, but always tries to go through them with the same move and loses the puck. One of those players with a lot of ability, but between the ears could use some work.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, that's terrible sportsmanship by those guys and a terrible idea by the league.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Funkmarkoflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunniJA View Post
A lot could depend ont he league people play at, but here, the difference in a C and B team is this:

C league - recreational, people tripping over blue lines, uber noob
B league - everybody there has at least played high school varsity, more likely D2 college or equivalent
There are only 3 divisions in our league: A, B and C. I don't really know how you classify your players in the US, so I don't really know what is D2

Very approx., A is like CHL players, B is junior to players that played all their minor hockey in double letters. C is like players that always played, but aren't that good, but still are not noobs. (No tripping on the blue line or else... we all skate pretty well and have a sense of hockey, but aren't the best players around)

I did not mind that much that they had talent, but we hated the attitude.

We told the league about it and we were not the only ones to do so as I was told. Let,s hope this interdivisionnal stuff will be over next year

Old
02-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Ozz

Man, that team sounds like a bunch of dicks. We get our ***** whooped once in a while, but never have the other team taunt us. We actually taunt them first for not beating us any harder when it's clear we're having an off night w/missing players

Old
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmarkoflex View Post

Final score: 17-1. I guess they had fun. We didn't.
That's rough. Inter division as another poster said in reegards to D2 vs D3 sounds alright.

But the jump in any letter div is usually massive. I play on 3 teams, 2 on Ediv and one Cdiv.

While they're two letter divisions apart (each letter has 4 sub groups) the pace and skill level of the games is drastically different.

I would be one pissed off goaltender if i had my E team play against any other division. Hell, we struggle in our own.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
AcidJazz

I love how our league does nothing to police the skill level.

I play ASHL. There are divisions A to E. From C to E there is absolutely no difference. I play in the E division. It states that you must have started playing as an adult. I'm not a beginner but I thought I'd start there since I haven't played organized hockey since pee-wee. I expected it to be a beginner league, but there are ex University and Jr. guys on every team. It's unbelievable. I played against one guy who played Jr. A in my hometown. He's now 40, but still has unbelievable skill and there is no way he should be playing in the bottom division.

Do they really get their jollies from toe-dragging plugs in the lower divisions? Beginner hockey simply does not exist in my city unless your are a kid. Frustrating.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post

I play ASHL. There are divisions A to E. From C to E there is absolutely no difference. I play in the E division. It states that you must have started playing as an adult. I'm not a beginner but I thought I'd start there since I haven't played organized hockey since pee-wee. I expected it to be a beginner league, but there are ex University and Jr. guys on every team. It's unbelievable. I played against one guy who played Jr. A in my hometown. He's now 40, but still has unbelievable skill and there is no way he should be playing in the bottom division.

Do they really get their jollies from toe-dragging plugs in the lower divisions? Beginner hockey simply does not exist in my city unless your are a kid. Frustrating.
A lot of negative feedback on ASHL on this and other forums

Old
02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
A lot of negative feedback on ASHL on this and other forums
Yea, it's a crapshoot for ASHL in regards to the D,E divisions.

From my experience, C, around here, is fairly evenly matched. Granted, played against the best team in our C2 division and lost 9-7.

Wasn't a goalie's day that day.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Ozz

Quote:

We have 5 or 6 levels at our leagues (sometimes they drop the top level and the next-highest becomes the highest). The bottom 3 are interchangeable; you find some teams in the lowers far outmatch the higher of the 3. Then you get some in the higher of the 3 that couldn't BUY a win in their league. The next 2 tiers are huge steps up, and are mostly interchangeable. My team actually plays in these two. Last season, the top tier wasn't nearly as tough as the one beneath it. Lastly, the very top division which is only sometimes utilized, is another big step. We played up in it and get a couple wins, but overall we just get whomped overall.

As far as talent descriptions, the league pretty much calls every one except the 2 top a "division for beginners" or "teams without experience". Ha, not even close. That's probably half the reason for such a large discrepancy between teams in some of these low/middle leagues. The other half I chalk up to which days the teams can play. It's just beer league though so of course not too much consideration is given to splitting up everything just as long as everyone who wants to play can get in when they want.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
mistrhanky

This is a problem in my league as well. Most teams have been together 3-5 years and just don't want to play up. We are a D league but at least half the games are a C. One of the better guy's on another team has even ref'd our games... not sure how that is fair. We have very little chance to win on any week and it is a real problem because we may lose 5-6 of our best guys this year. They are tired of losing will probably join empty slots on the other teams. Pretty hard to ever get better that way.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:

best thing you can do is pull your money from ASHL because once they have that they don't give a damn about you. that's the common story.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Funkmarkoflex

Quote:
Beginner hockey simply does not exist in my city unless your are a kid. Frustrating.
Same here. If I want to play people +/- my level, it's on the pond or in a 40+ league because I'm a bit faster than a few of them (One guy in that league played NHL a couple of games. He's 57 but damn he knows how to play!)

Closed Thread