HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Could a team try to get both Drouin and MacKinnon?

Old
02-24-2013, 10:14 PM
alphafox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
I'll never understand why they didn't try and trade down to 2nd, and have part of the deal be Columbus can't take Murray... Edmonton gets a player they actually need, as well as the extra from Columbus trading up.. wouldn't have been much, perhaps a 3rd, but it's still something.
Because, there was absolutely no reason for CBJ to make that trade. Why pay anything when you don't have to? (BTW another part of that reason was that the CBJ did not like Yakupov, and were rumored to have deals in place to trade back if Murray was not there at #2)

I really wonder if it is logistically possible for anyone to take both of them. Unless the Jackets (or another team) gets lucky and gets one pick in the top 5 and another pick in the top 10 I don't see anyone being able to pay the assets for a second top 5 pick.

To take my team the Jackets as an example. Assuming Some "good luck" the Jackets end up with the #2 overall, the #14 overall and the # 17 overall. Lets assume Jones goes #1. Jackets take Mackinnon and #2. Jackets get lucky and Barkov and Valery go 3-4. To get the #5 overall would cost #14, #17, and probably the a roster player, maybe more. It is going to cost more this year than some later round draft picks to move up to the top 5, particularly when teams will likely know we are trying to grab Mack and Drouin as a pair.

There is a reasons moves like this haven't been pulled off since burke did it with the Sedins.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think as far away from reality as it sounds, in the event Edmonton has a top pick again, the possibility, again VERY SLIM, is there for them to deal Yakupov for a pick.

Let's say for argument sake, Edmonton picks 2nd, and Buffalo picks 3rd. Edmonton trades Yakupov to Buffalo (Grigerenko connection, even though they don't seem to mesh well together)

Edmonton drafts both Mackinnon and Drouin.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:35 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

I'm willing to give our 1st and 2nd round picks in this years draft, Subban and Eller.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:47 AM
JetsHomer

Only way I see it happening is if one of La or NYR miss the playoffs and win the loterry. The reaction here would be hilarious

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i want to see a team draft them together

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:17 AM
416Leafer

Columbus probably has the best shot...

If the season finished today, theyd have the 1st, 11th, and 12th overall picks. I highly doubt thats where the NYR/LAK actually finish, but if at least one of those is 15 or higher, it gives them room to manoever. Though they dont have a ton aside from Murray which could help them move up by THAT much in the draft.

But if they could get MacKinnon + Drouin at the cost of Murray + mid 1st... They should do it. Theyre deep on D longterm, amd MacKinnon/Drouin combo would be GREAT for marketing, could completely turn the franchise around financially.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:02 PM
jaeger

Craig Button actually talked about Columbus having a real chance to draft both Drouin and MacKinnon.

http://www.tsn.ca/window/podcastcent...id=15834&id=65

Last edited by jaeger: 02-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:00 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Craig Button actually talked about Columbus having a real chance to draft both Drouin and MacKinnon.

http://www.tsn.ca/window/podcastcent...id=15834&id=65
For those who want to skip to it, it's at around 35 minutes in... that being said, this whole podcast has been very informing!!

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote