HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Alex Smith traded to the Chiefs for 34th overall pick+conditional 2014 mid-rounder

Old
02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Reality Check

vCash: 500
Multiple draft picks for a guy no one really wanted to sign after last year = terrible QB market this year

Good for San Francisco...but this has all the makings of another Matt Cassel situation in Kansas City

Reality Check is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
kanuck87

Draft an O-Lineman to protect Smith, sign a decent WR, and they've all of a sudden got the look of a decent offense. They can make this work.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Taking a QB in the first round just for the sake of it is how you end up with Ponder. Chiefs may have overpaid by a draft round, but they still got a proven starting QB in the league AND still have the first overall pick. Not many teams throughout history can say that.
Yep. He's not the long-term solution, but if you put an ok supporting cast around him, he'll be good until they find their future qb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Moronic move by the Chiefs. If they didn't think Geno was the real deal, just take Joeckel and suck for the year without giving up two picks for a guy similar to what you already have.
Please explain to me how Smith and Cassel are anything alike. Please show your work.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Chiefs needed a QB but that's a lot to give up for Alex Smith. I thought it would have been a third round pick at most. But he's a good QB who will help them win some games if they give him some weapons on offense. Also, please stop comparing Smith to Cassel, you're just making yourself look bad with comments like that.

Great trade for the 49ers. They have a lot of picks now and will be able to improve the team through the draft or by making a trade. I've already seen some Revis and Harvin speculation on twitter.
No Revis or Harvin. They will keep doing what they are doing.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Wow. San Fran made out like bandits in this one.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Again, I think people are underestimating what Andy Reid has been able to do with quarterbacks. 49ers got a great deal, but I think Andy Reid will make this work too.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
No Revis or Harvin. They will keep doing what they are doing.
I dont think they need Harvin, and I dont know how badly they need a CB, but Revis would be a big boost to anyone's defense. They have enough picks that they can part with a relatively high pick or two. I believe they have like 12 or 13 picks in total, with two 2nds and possibly three 3rds. They can part with one of each if that's the asking price for Revis or anyone else potentially on the block. I also don't know what their cap situation is like, however.

It's a good time to be a Niners fan right now.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Please explain to me how Smith and Cassel are anything alike. Please show your work.
Don't worry, he'll come up with some snippy remark.

I love the options that the Niners have with all these picks. Either way, they're going to make this roster a lot better, and considering how talented it already is, that makes me excited.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Again, I think people are underestimating what Andy Reid has been able to do with quarterbacks. 49ers got a great deal, but I think Andy Reid will make this work too.
I agree that Reid has been able to have a productive passing game with average or below average quarterbacks, but why couldn't the Chiefs have tried with someone they drafted in the second or third round instead of trading that pick for someone that they know is average at best (well, I hope for their sake they realize that).

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
I agree that Reid has been able to have a productive passing game with average or below average quarterbacks, but why couldn't the Chiefs have tried with someone they drafted in the second or third round instead of trading that pick for someone that they know is average at best (well, I hope for their sake they realize that).
Odds are that the QB that they draft with a 2nd or 3rd is going to be garbage, or that he'll take at least 2 or 3 seasons to develop.

They can still draft that QB now and groom him to be the next QB after Smith leaves.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/2...fs-49ers-trade

I thought this article does a pretty good job of outlining why this trade is a bad idea for KC.

Honestly, the whole thing feels like when the Canucks traded Cloutier to the Kings.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:23 PM
catters078

With a good O line and running game, plus a playoff worthy defense, now a reliable QB.

The chiefs are a WR weapon away from being a playoff contender.

this is WIN for KC

And a win for SF.

Good trade

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:30 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Reid is good with qbs and could be one of the very few places that Smith lands and can be successful. The offense needs to be tailored to Charles and some quick routes and make the tight end an integral part. Smith can succeed there. But don't try and make him throw far.

He has the iq to throw the ball away or take a sack. He isn't a fan of looking safeties off though.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 PM
darko

That's a lot to give up for Smith. Hope this doesnt turn into another Cassel situation.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Cassel 2.0

And I understand the anger/frustration of Chief fans.. The franchise hasn't drafted a QB in nearly 30 years in round 1

Its time to take the chance
And even better, the Chiefs have only drafted one QB in the first three rounds the past 20 years. Spending a 3rd rounder on Brodie Croyle in 2006.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Clowe Me

People should stop comparing Smith to Cassel. Smith had more than one solid season in the league before getting traded. Plus, he wasn't a back-up for 4 years in college.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:52 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Don't matter, i don't Alex Smith can win games by himself consistently. He started playing well after Harbaugh came in and assembled a strong team.

It'll be interesting if he becomes old Alex Smith again on a team that isn't all that great.

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Don't matter, i don't Alex Smith can win games by himself consistently. He started playing well after Harbaugh came in and assembled a strong team.

It'll be interesting if he becomes old Alex Smith again on a team that isn't all that great.
The team is a lot better than people give them credit for. Cassel's ****** play in the first half was probably the difference between 7-10 win season and a 2 win season.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:04 AM
SHAR KS
3-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
People should stop comparing Smith to Cassel. Smith had more than one solid season in the league before getting traded. Plus, he wasn't a back-up for 4 years in college.
Cassel only had one full season before getting traded...

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:11 AM
SHAR KS
3-0

Also they are pretty comparable.

Matt Cassel - 58.9 completion %, 13,495 yards, 82 TD, 57 INT, 24 Fumbles, 80.4 Passer Rating

Alex Smith - 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 81 TD, 63 INT, 36 Fumbles, 79.1 Passer Rating

Smith has been better the last 2 years obviously.

SHAR KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:31 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Also they are pretty comparable.

Matt Cassel - 58.9 completion %, 13,495 yards, 82 TD, 57 INT, 24 Fumbles, 80.4 Passer Rating

Alex Smith - 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 81 TD, 63 INT, 36 Fumbles, 79.1 Passer Rating

Smith has been better the last 2 years obviously.
Smith has obviously played way more games and has shown improvement going forward whereas Cassel has shown regression.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
One of my favorite players going to the team I possibly hate the most...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:18 AM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
And even better, the Chiefs have only drafted one QB in the first three rounds the past 20 years. Spending a 3rd rounder on Brodie Croyle in 2006.
Some fun little trivia. The last QB to be drafted by the Chiefs AND win a game was way back in 1987 (Todd Blackledge). Brodie Croyle never won a game when he started for the Chiefs and actually the only game where he played and the Chiefs won, he threw for 2 whole passes.

As for the niners getting Revis or Harvin, it most likely won't happen unless Baalke can get them to sign for a reasonable amount of money. Prior to the trade, the niners were above the cap by approximately 1 million dollars and have some important players that are about to become free agents soon. By trading for a big money player like Revis or Harvin, it infringes on their ability to sign one of their own players to extensions.

Last edited by gunners14henry: 02-28-2013 at 06:50 AM.
gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:44 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Smith has obviously played way more games and has shown improvement going forward whereas Cassel has shown regression.
Cassel didn't regress until he was moved, though. Same thing could happen to Smith. (I don't think it will, but that's not a fair way to interpret their career numbers. It's also probably not fair to just throw out their career numbers and say "Look! Same guy.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
Some fun little trivia. The last QB to be drafted by the Chiefs AND win a game was way back in 1987 (Tom Blackledge).
Todd. That is a sad little piece of trivia.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:51 AM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Cassel didn't regress until he was moved, though. Same thing could happen to Smith. (I don't think it will, but that's not a fair way to interpret their career numbers. It's also probably not fair to just throw out their career numbers and say "Look! Same guy.")

Todd. That is a sad little piece of trivia.
Ah my mistake. Just fixed it.

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote