HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You haven't followed the bolded either. The last thing you'd be thinking if you lived in South Africa was how safe you are from gun crime or homicide in general. In South Africa the Homicide rate is 20times higher than in Canada. The spousal violence and domestic homicide rate in South Africa is off the charts and a grievous social problem.

That said there have been improvements in South AFrica. 15 yrs ago the murder rate was over 60/100k and with 25-30K murders/year. For comparison purposes the highest murder count ever in Canada in one year is 635.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate
At least they have proper safety courses. Whether or not if you have to take them is another thing.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
At least they have proper safety courses. Whether or not if you have to take them is another thing.
The thing is the "safety" intervention would've happened as a direct result of having over 60/100K murder rate and in the range of 30K murders in the country in a given year.
One of the highest recorded murder rates and total murder numbers on Earth.

Issues become more salient due to being grievous issues. Gun legislation in South africa would be a very hot topic.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:22 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Issues become more salient due to being grievous issues. Gun legislation in South africa would be a very hot topic.
All the safety regulations in South Africa prove that the key is effective law enforcement.

You are 20 times more likely to be shot and killed in South Africa than you are in Canada.

People aren't afraid of the legally registered guns, but the culture that the lawlessness creates is why Pristorious felt the need to arm himself in his own home.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Dave
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Canada does have gun safety courses. If you want to own a gun you have to pass a day long course that has both a written and practical exam component.

The only thing that they don't do is make you fire the weapon. However, you have to demonstrate competent control over a fire arm. Displaying your muzzle control awareness, loading and unloading, checking to see if a round is chambered and examining the bore for obstructions. I'd say most gun courses are done at gun ranges, so the only thing preventing you from getting real practice is your willingness to pay for it over and above the cost of the course itself.

And the people who are going out of their way to get proper gun licensing are not the ones who are cause for concern. It's the dumbass gangbangers who you should be worried about, and generally, they don't go get gun licenses. Edmonton is one of the more dangerous cities in canada, and I've never once felt like I was in danger of being shot. Don't go to the poor areas of the city and be careful when you go to clubs if you don't want to be shot.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:40 PM
awesomo
HARD!

do you guys have that error page sometimes when surfing HF...how do you get rid of that

Old
02-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
do you guys have that error page sometimes when surfing HF...how do you get rid of that
It's random for me. I could get it like 10 times in a week then not see it for another month.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Don't know if they've changed things here recently, but when I took my FAC a number of years ago the course and training/safety was quite rigorous. I had to learn the laws, safety precautions, proper loading/unloading/carrying and general handling of a firearm...what type of ammo was used in certain guns, what guns were used for what/storing and moving weapons and all the laws that pertain to it.

It was a pretty intense course to be honest.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Don't know if they've changed things here recently, but when I took my FAC a number of years ago the course and training/safety was quite rigorous. I had to learn the laws, safety precautions, proper loading/unloading/carrying and general handling of a firearm...what type of ammo was used in certain guns, what guns were used for what/storing and moving weapons and all the laws that pertain to it.

It was a pretty intense course to be honest.
I read a book and took the test with 30 other guys. Ran out of time so not everyone had to even handle the firearms.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:40 PM
The Head Crusher

Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
The 503 errors?

The 503 errors occur when the system is under load. Tech staff has reduced how frequently these occur by increasing the timeouts in the vcl conf file. (Server issue on Apache systems.)

These still need tweaking and re-setting from time to time as it is related to the loads placed on the system.

02-28-2013, 06:03 PM
The Head Crusher

Blarg been stuck in South Town Huyndai for the last 6 hours waiting for my car....

Old
02-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Blarg been stuck in South Town Huyndai for the last 6 hours waiting for my car....
Without a doubt this is a horrible dealership. Northstar so much better. But alas I bought my most recent Hyundai from southtown, live on the southside, and grin and bear it.

The word cluster**** comes to mind. Brought it to their intention several times that any aspect of their service doesn't come close to matching Northstar. At Southtown basically a revolving door of people that don't care. With apologies to the few mechanics and service people there that do.

Ask them if they have a courtesy car for you and to call you when they are finally done. STate that next time the ETA is hours past whats quoted that you will be expecting a courtesy car. Or book it straight off assuming their predictable incompetence.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
The Head Crusher

Quote:
Without a doubt this is a horrible dealership. Northtown so much better. But alas I bought my most recent Hyundai from southtown, live on the southside, and grin and bear it.

The word cluster**** comes to mind. Brought it to their intention several times that any aspect of their service doesn't come close to matching Northtown. At Southtown basically a revolving door of people that don't care. With apologies to the few mechanics and service people there that do.

Ask them if they have a courtesy car for you and to call you when they are finally done. STate that next time the ETA is hours passed that you will be expecting a courtesy car. Or book it straight off assuming incompetence.
Yea came to southdown because that's where it was bought and it was still under warranty which will be up after the next oil change. After that I will be going somewhere else. Though about getting the shuttle or courtacy car, but they have free wifi and I have my iPad to keep me occupied

Old
03-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Wow so after giving up a 1st rounder last year for Brody McKnight who wasn't even the kicker in Montreal last year Hervy has just traded him for 2 5th round picks.

At least he got something but seriously why the **** did Tilman make that trade what a dumbass. Sometimes bringing fresh blood from outside the otrganization just isn't the answer.

Be like the Oilers firing Tambelini and bringing in MacLean or Milbury.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Wow so after giving up a 1st rounder last year for Brody McKnight who wasn't even the kicker in Montreal last year Hervy has just traded him for 2 5th round picks.

At least he got something but seriously why the **** did Tilman make that trade what a dumbass. Sometimes bringing fresh blood from outside the otrganization just isn't the answer.

Be like the Oilers firing Tambelini and bringing in MacLean or Milbury.
That trade should've never happened. The hire ups talked about how Tillman wasn't doing his job a long time before that. For them to allow a move like that to even happen is a disgrace.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Edmonton Rush finally beat the Calgary Roughnecks during regular season play 18-13. I think they were on something like a 0-12 losing streak against them during the regular season.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
czar99

Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones season 3

For those who are obsessed with this series as I am, season 3 starts March 31 on HBO!

Anything to take my mind off the Oilers suckage.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:34 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

best show on TV!

I can't watch week-to-week though...I love watching them consecutively cause I get WAY more into the characters and shows

Old
03-08-2013, 11:45 AM
0ilerman
The King

I'm re-watching season 2 right now, finished season 1 last month. So much better the second time around. Feel like I actually know who is who now.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Hopkins to Hall

Can't wait to see how they do the Red Wedding. The Oilers right now kind of remind me of the northern army in the 3rd book.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Game of Thrones season 3

For those who are obsessed with this series as I am, season 3 starts March 31 on HBO!

Anything to take my mind off the Oilers suckage.
Awesome I should re-watch seasons one and 2.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Kevin Martin and his Alberta rink are still alive at The Brier after their big win this morning.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Awesome I should re-watch seasons one and 2.
Yeah I myself started it back up last weekend. Episode 5 now.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:09 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Yeah I myself started it back up last weekend. Episode 5 now.
Where are you guys watching them. I'd love a refresher myself.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Bleh. Italy is throttling Canada again at the World Baseball classic. It's too bad that Russell Martin decided to play his little games and Brett Lawrie got hurt. We could really use their bats and exuberance respectively.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 03-08-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old
03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Where are you guys watching them. I'd love a refresher myself.
I justhave them on my external hard drive that I keep connected to my xbox. Have the episodes from when I origianlly downloaded them after their original air date.

Closed Thread