HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Flames sign O'Reilly to Offer Sheet

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
The Bruins miss The Hunwick...

Old
02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Appleanche

vCash: 500
It still shocks me nothing has been done with ROR, one way or another.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
I know it probably never happen but Hamilton would look great. No one saw the EJ trade coming...
Hamilton on the Avs would be unreal. I doubt the Bruins are willing to part with him though.

Too bad the Avs weren't two spots higher in the 2011 draft.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
BrickAHL
#WhyWilson?

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Hamilton on the Avs would be unreal. I doubt the Bruins are willing to part with him though.

If we were two spots higher in the 2011 draft, then we would have ended up with the 25th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:35 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

That was St. Louis' pick right? I think it would have been delayed a year if it was one spot higher.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
It still shocks me nothing has been done with ROR, one way or another.
What shocks you more? That or the fact that someone as obviously inept as Joe Sacco is still head coach of this team?

Old
02-27-2013, 05:48 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
What shocks you more? That or the fact that someone as obviously inept as Joe Sacco is still head coach of this team?
lol I remember when I used to argue with you last year about how Sacco wasn't that bad of a coach .

Boy was I wrong.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:00 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
If we were two spots higher in the 2011 draft, then we would have ended up with the 25th overall pick in the 2012 draft.
You're right.

How about this then? "If only he was still available two picks later".

Old
02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
You're right.

How about this then? "If only he was still available two picks later".
Lets just trade for Hamilton and then we can have both Siemens and Hamilton on the same pairing. God that would be sick...

O'Reilly + Jones for Hamilton, Horton, and a 1st?

Old
02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
GamingGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Lets just trade for Hamilton and then we can have both Siemens and Hamilton on the same pairing. God that would be sick...

O'Reilly + Jones for Hamilton, Horton, and a 1st?
Sign me up. If only it were true.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:18 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Sign me up. If only it were true.
It's not like O'Reilly isn't worth Hamilton, their first rounder will be pretty late as well. Then it's basically Jones for a pending UFA Horton.

Even O'Reilly + Jones + 2nd for Hamilton, Horton, and a 1st.

They get cost certainty in Jones, O'Reilly fits their team mold and they can move Seguin to wing. As unrealistic as it sounds it's basically the only thing I could think of as far as a trade between the two teams(Involving O'Reilly that is).

We know they are looking for big 2nd/3rd line wingers who can score as well, because everyone thought Boston was going to be the team getting Ryder, now that ain't happening and he went to a team they are competing with as well. We also have a trade history with them.

Getting O'Reilly & Jones together makes the trade work for them, even with the loss of Horton. (Seguin moves to wing replacing Horton, and Jones fills their need for a 2nd/3rd line winger.) They also can afford to lose Hamilton as promising as he looks.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

GAH...not Horton. Good Lord we need another oft-concussed guy? Hamilton...sure, in a heartbeat.

I just don't see a deal with the B's materializing. They've already got Bergeron and Krejci, two very similar players. Unless they aim to move Bergeron back to the wing I just don't see it. Even then, I don't see them giving up Horton/Hamilton when they're looking for more firepower. O'Reilly can score, but he's not someone you actually trade for if you're actually looking for scoring.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
The reason why it's off is because of the age difference between the two players. If RoR was a finished product, I would be inclined to agree with you but he just turned 22 a few weeks ago. No matter which way anyone wants to slice it, there is NO WAY in hell, anyone is going to convince me that RoR can't get better than what we've seen in his 3 full season in the league since coming in at age 18.

Bryan Little is going to be 26 years old this November and, unless I'm missing something is pretty much the guy you're going to get going forward. Don't get me wrong, I like this player, I think he's a good all around guy and I like his versatility:

2007-08 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 48 6 10 16
2007-08 Chicago Wolves AHL 34 9 16 25
2008-09 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 79 31 20 51
2009-10 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 79 13 21 34
2010-11 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 76 18 30 48
2011-12 Winnipeg Jets NHL 74 24 22 46
2012-13 Winnipeg Jets NHL 19 3 9 12

This is essentially the guy you're getting.

With RoR, putting up 55 points as a 3rd year forward, 20 year old (turned 21 on February 7th) with his first REAL chance at significant Power Play time, THAT'S the reason why it's not as close as you think between the two, in my opinion anyways and that's also the reason why Bob McKenzie tweets stuff like..."the price is going to be STEEP"...and rightfully so.

Note - Rank is amongst forwards on the team.
I don't disagree with you. I think ROR will continue to put up points, or increase his totals if given a true 1st or 2nd line role with good linemates.

That's a tough sell though if the other team is giving up Little, plus a better/more valuable piece than Little. I don't think the Avs could land that kind of deal unless they added pretty good piece to O'Reilly. It'd have to be at least Barrie, and that possibly might not be enough if they have concerns with him. The Avs don't have any other similar pieces in terms of value, unless they're giving up their 1st, which would be doubtful in that kind of deal.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Barklez
Not only in forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Dougie!

I wish. I bet the Bruins wouldn't even trade him straight up ROR.
I've dreamed about it, but, thinking on it long and hard, I don't think there is any realistic situation in which they let Hamilton go. He already looks great, and their defence is not getting any younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
It's not like O'Reilly isn't worth Hamilton, their first rounder will be pretty late as well. Then it's basically Jones for a pending UFA Horton.

Even O'Reilly + Jones + 2nd for Hamilton, Horton, and a 1st.
Honestly, I think O'Reilly + Jones for Hamilton + Horton is pretty damn close to fair value. Unfortunately, I think it's going to take far far more than fair value to pry Hamilton out of Beantown.

Quote:
They get cost certainty in Jones, O'Reilly fits their team mold and they can move Seguin to wing. As unrealistic as it sounds it's basically the only thing I could think of as far as a trade between the two teams(Involving O'Reilly that is).

We know they are looking for big 2nd/3rd line wingers who can score as well, because everyone thought Boston was going to be the team getting Ryder, now that ain't happening and he went to a team they are competing with as well. We also have a trade history with them.

Getting O'Reilly & Jones together makes the trade work for them, even with the loss of Horton. (Seguin moves to wing replacing Horton, and Jones fills their need for a 2nd/3rd line winger.) They also can afford to lose Hamilton as promising as he looks.
O'Reilly does fit their team mold, perfectly, that's the only reason I let myself dream about a trade with them.

Seguin already plays wing, so that hole would not be as easily filled as that. If they picked up O'Reilly, Krejci would soon be on his way out of town to plug whatever hole they opened up in the trade. Unfortunately for us, Jones doesn't really fill any needs on their roster. They have better offensive options on the top two lines, and better defensive options on the bottom two, with enough offensive depth stashed on the bottom two to make him irrelevant.

The more I think about it, Boston would probably be more receptive to something like O'Reilly + Siemens for Hamilton +. Fits their (few) needs better than Jones does.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
The Bruins having a top three of Bergeron, ROR and Krejci is just retarded.

What about bringing back Nathan Horton? He's probably not going to get resigned by the Bruins, and generally fits the mold of player were looking for. He's probably have to sign before we'd trade for him, but I'm sure that could be arranged.

I'd love to see a defenseman come back as well, but I don't see Hamilton moving. What about Horton (signed) plus a first for ROR + ROB?? The Bruins will need a bottom pairing guy.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:58 PM
shadow1

It'll be interesting from a Flyers perspective if the club acquired Ryan O'Reilly.

They've had an interesting past few years, blowing up their Stanley Cup Finals club in favor of an on-the-fly rebuild. They've acquire Jakub Voracek, Luke Schenn, Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds, and the draft pick that selected Sean Couturier.

Though they'd certainly have to give up at least one of the above players to acquire O'Reilly, you can tell the club has a bright future.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
What about Horton (signed) plus a second for ROR + ROB?? The Bruins will need a bottom pairing guy.
If Sherm holds out for a home run and that is the home run, I'd puke.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumballhead View Post
If Sherm holds out for a home run and that is the home run, I'd puke.
After rethinking I changed it to a first.

Horton is a sixty plus point player who is like a better McGinn, and getting rid of ROB is like a plus for us.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Freudian
wild card, *****es

Quote:
The Bruins having a top three of Bergeron, ROR and Krejci is just retarded.

What about bringing back Nathan Horton? He's probably not going to get resigned by the Bruins, and generally fits the mold of player were looking for. He's probably have to sign before we'd trade for him, but I'm sure that could be arranged.

I'd love to see a defenseman come back as well, but I don't see Hamilton moving. What about Horton (signed) plus a first for ROR + ROB?? The Bruins will need a bottom pairing guy.
I would think Horton wouldn't want to limit himself but prefer to wait until July and see what is out there. Someone will be willing to wildly overpay for him.

Boston and Colorado aren't good trading partners unless it's a very minor trade. I wouldn't be surprised to see something with Kobasew/O'Byrne going to Bruins. Pure depth.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
After rethinking I changed it to a first.

Horton is a sixty plus point player who is like a better McGinn, and getting rid of ROB is like a plus for us.
Horton is good, but he's an old 27 because of his injury history. I'd hope that we get a young player with a high ceiling and another decent part. There's no telling how this is gonna go, but I am hoping we are either overpaid or talks reopen and he comes back. He's so perfect for this team, the only way I'd feel good about him leaving is for a defenseman we could count on for as long as we could have counted on him.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I would think Horton wouldn't want to limit himself but prefer to wait until July and see what is out there. Someone will be willing to wildly overpay for him.

Boston and Colorado aren't good trading partners unless it's a very minor trade. I wouldn't be surprised to see something with Kobasew/O'Byrne going to Bruins. Pure depth.
Probably, I'm just throwing it out there.

Someone will give him five plus. I don't actually think that would be that bad of a deal. He's too often injured, but if he plays a full season I think he could score close to seventy points with a good center.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumballhead View Post
Horton is good, but he's an old 27 because of his injury history. I'd hope that we get a young player with a high ceiling and another decent part. There's no telling how this is gonna go, but I am hoping we are either overpaid or talks reopen and he comes back. He's so perfect for this team, the only way I'd feel good about him leaving is for a defenseman we could count on for as long as we could have counted on him.
Obviously I would (much like everyone else here) want Dougie Hamilton, but I just don't see that happening. The bruins would probably want ROR + for him.

And Horton will never play another full season, IMO. He's going to be another Gomez or Redden that is pretty much done for as as a useful player once they get a couple years over thirty because of the mileage on his body.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Freudian
wild card, *****es

It's hard finding a good fit with Boston. Hamilton is someone I can't see Boston wanting to part to get another center, Seguin is obviously not going anywhere, Spooner isn't good enough, Horton isn't a good fit for all the reasons we've mentioned.

O'Reilly + Elliott for Hamilton is the closest I can come to something that might work but the level of risk for both teams in that trade might be uncomfortably high.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Foppa Frossa

Think Shermie is going to wait until the trade deadline at this point?

Old
02-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Think Shermie is going to wait until the trade deadline at this point?
Either that or an offer sheet, at which point his failure is complete.

Closed Thread