HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Lanny McDonald Thinks the Sharks are Old and Slow

Old
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post
Not that old of a team outside of Marleau, Thornton, Handzus, and Boyle.

We still have some nice young talent to rebuild around with; Pavelski, Wingels, Couture, Kennedy, Sheppard, Galiardi, Vlasic, Burns, Demers, Braun, Irwin, Stalock, Hertl.
Kennedy is not a piece you can build around. Hes a nice story but not much more than that.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
stator

vCash: 475
This is one of those statements that is easy to confirm by the numbers. Shark's average team age is ranked 25 out of 30 with top ranked being the youngest.

Age Rank, Team, Average Age, Point Standings Rank
1 WPG 26.244 20
2 CLB 26.28 30
3 OTT 26.433 6
4 COL 26.639 26
5 LAK 26.705 16
6 TOR 26.711 9
7 CAR 26.773 18
8 MIN 26.9 17
9 EDM 27.005 24
10 BUF 27.018 29
11 STL 27.05 11
12 CHI 27.344 1
13 NYR 27.347 22
14 NAS 27.495 10
15 WAS 27.585 28
16 MTL 27.599 2
17 DAL 27.75 12
18 PIT 27.866 4
19 VAN 27.927 7
20 TBL 28.008 19
21 ANA 28.057 3
22 BOS 28.186 5
23 PHX 28.269 14
24 NYI 28.301 25
25 SJS 28.407 13
26 DET 28.407 15
27 CGY 28.409 23
28 PHI 28.463 21
29 FLA 28.567 27
30 NJD 29.193 8

I would say that team age is not that great of a measurement to decide the competitiveness. There is some correlation with being too young or too old, but not much. Current point standings rankings of single digit teams (best points standings) tend to cluster between the midpoint and older. Of course, this is just today's snapshot and thus the sample size is small.

I would say that the Shark should consider "younging up" to around the 27.9 to 28.0 average age for next year's make up.

However... "Old age and treachery will win over youth and inexperience every time".

Last edited by stator: 02-27-2013 at 06:32 PM.
stator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Pavelski is nearly as slow as Clowe. I got the eye test on P. Kane/Couture. Kane had a half stride on Couture after two strides; that's not good. JT is currently playing slow although I consider him average to just below average. When fast, JT is grabbing takeaways. Look at his giveaway/takeaway thing this year.
THANK YOU! I've been preaching this for the last few weeks, but no one seems to see it. Honestly I've seen moments of Clowe being faster than Pavs. I think Pavs may be in the bottom 3 with Murray and Clowe/Zues (gotta mention Zues has looked much better this season)

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Kennedy is not a piece you can build around. Hes a nice story but not much more than that.
For a bottom 6 goal scorer, he's proving that he can be a valuable piece. Although he could just be another Ferriero

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
For a bottom 6 goal scorer, he's proving that he can be a valuable piece. Although he could just be another Ferriero
He is another Ferriero, but worse defensively. I seriously don't understand how people are enamored with him.

Remember how Ferriero would come up, score a goal or two in his first two games and we'd all proclaim he'd turned a corner? Yeah, same deal with Kennedy except Kennedy's 27 and we don't have the youth excuse.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
Hes a more offensively gifted Ferriero..the dude is a wreck on defense and in the neutral zone. Hes been a spark but has never shown the ability to sustain it at the NHL level.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:30 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He is another Ferriero, but worse defensively. I seriously don't understand how people are enamored with him.

Remember how Ferriero would come up, score a goal or two in his first two games and we'd all proclaim he'd turned a corner? Yeah, same deal with Kennedy except Kennedy's 27 and we don't have the youth excuse.
I'd say he has a better shot than Ferriero, but other than that, I'd take Ferriero over him. Kennedy is worse defensively, is worse along the boards, and is worse in the crease. Like Gene said, Kennedy is a nice story and he's been pretty solid given his role, but I wouldn't buy into the hype too much.
It's nice to know that the Worcester still has guys that can fill-in for an offensive role if need be. I miss Vesce.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Craig Fischer
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturefan39 View Post
Not that old of a team outside of Marleau, Thornton, Handzus, and Boyle.

We still have some nice young talent to rebuild around with; Pavelski, Wingels, Couture, Kennedy, Sheppard, Galiardi, Vlasic, Burns, Demers, Braun, Irwin, Stalock, Hertl.

The pipeline is looking pretty decent too. There are some terrific pieces that if they pan out will certainly change the perception of a slow team. Players like Nieto will just fly. And then there's guys like Hertl (HERTL THE TURTLE!!!) and Tierney that have deceptively fast wheels--it doesn't look pretty, but they've got great speed,with and without the puck.

At the end of the day though age and speed aren't the be all and end all factors of building a winning team. It's glamorous and sexy to have those those young players we all rave about (and the Sharks will certainly have a few in the coming years and they have like you said a few presently on their roster) but the name of the game is to put the puck in the back of the net and keep it out of yours.

P.S.

Shout out to the OP from the YYC.

Craig Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
hockeyball

Yah Kennedy is a nice call up, but that's about it.

Here's my take on our bottom 6ers, in order

1) Sheppard - been the best bottom 6 player we have without a doubt. Is still improving every game he plays, noticeably. Suprisingly good playmaker, above average skater, fairly physical, and good with puck possession. Showing he still may have top-6 upside, he certainly has the raw talent.

2) Handzus - Been very solid, skating much better, providing the defense he was expected to provide last season. Winning face offs, winning shoot outs, excellent on the PK. Plain and simple he is doing the job he was expected to do.

3) Wingels - Best hitter on the team, very fast, decent offensive instincts, reliable on the defensive end when needed. Probably the 2nd best forechecker on the team behind Sheppard.

4) Kennedy - Good offensively, useless defensively. Extremely fast, hard worker.

5) Gomez - Helps with the break out, make poor decisions with the puck a lot, but sometimes makes amazing little plays out of nothing. Still a good skater, poor defensively.

6) Galiardi - Would have been lower but last game really started to show what was expected of him. Good skating, good forechecking, offensive upside. Seems to have good chemistry with Sheppard maybe.

7) Desjardins - Looks 'off' this season, still reliable defensively and working hard but just can't seem to get settled in his role this year. Maybe because of line mates, injury, not sure.

7) Burish - Great on the PK, freaking useless beyond that. The guy is like a magnet for the puck, and by that I mean the wrong polarity. Anytime the puck gets near him it instantly goes flying away from him as fast as possible. Really not impressed.

So, that said, long term, who would I replace? Kennedy, Gomez, Burish and Desjardins. Kennedy because his offensive game isnt good enough to make up for his total lack of defense. Gomez because he's a square peg in a round hole, he's good for depth but doesn't seem to work outside of the top-6 at all. Burish because he's worthless (unless he can start forechecking better, agitating, and the ability to holy the puck for at least 2 seconds, I swear I'm not sure the guy know's he has a hockey stick in his hands) and Desi if he can't get back to where he was last season. Really though, if Desi can settle down, and Burish can make himself half usefull outside of the PK I'm pretty happy with that group mostly.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Does it look like Hertl will play next season?

How close are Nieto and Tierney?

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
Does it look like Hertl will play next season?

How close are Nieto and Tierney?
Doesn't sound like it, sounds like his coach talked him out of it.

I get the impression Nieto is at least a few years off, Tierney is an unknown.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

We may be old, we may even be slow.....But we're sharks....and sharks don't need youth or speed....just teeth....aLOT of teeth.

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:22 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Slow is clearly part of the problem. We get no forecheck going these days.

03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
anthonyyy

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I'd say he has a better shot than Ferriero, but other than that, I'd take Ferriero over him. Kennedy is worse defensively, is worse along the boards, and is worse in the crease. Like Gene said, Kennedy is a nice story and he's been pretty solid given his role, but I wouldn't buy into the hype too much.
It's nice to know that the Worcester still has guys that can fill-in for an offensive role if need be. I miss Vesce.
With helmets on, Ferriero and Burish kind of look similar.

anthonyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:35 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
You all know DW is gonna sign Lanny McDonald right?

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Who's old and slow now.

Hurr Durr waivers.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote