HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George Richards Ranks Cats Top Ten Prospects

Old
02-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
George Richards Ranks Cats Top Ten Prospects

The 2013 Hockey News Future Watch Issue is out and the Herald's George Richards ranks Florida's Top Ten. In Order

Huberdeau
Markstrom
Bjugstad
Matheson
Petrovic
Howden
Shore
Grimaldi
Robak
Trocheck

Can't argue with the top 5 but Howden over Shore? And it's debateable but I like Trocheck as a Forward prospect more than Grimaldi.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Georgia Panther

George says they're not his rankings but The Hockey News. Since it carries GR's byline can I sue for truth in advertizing?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
nhlfan9191

Matheson over Petrovic? Is Matheson really that good?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
We really don't know much about Matheson so I don't see any issue in taking him over the rest.

What interested me was seeing Grimaldi so low.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:49 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Only comparisons I've seen about Matheson is that he's a Brian Campbell lite.

And I agree that Shore should be over Howden.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
RainingRats

Shore should be #4

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Absolutely. Kid can do it all.

Markstrom Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
We really don't know much about Matheson so I don't see any issue in taking him over the rest.

I think Grimaldi is right where he should be, I don't see why he would be ranked above Shore, Howden, Matheson, Petrovic, etc.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think Grimaldi is right where he should be, I don't see why he would be ranked above Shore, Howden, Matheson, Petrovic, etc.
Continues to shine at all levels. Near Hobey Baker material in his first full season in the WCHA. Has won gold across the board in his international play as a team leader on each roster. Had a great recent World Juniors as well. His only real issue is the fact that he's undersized.

He is much like Drew Shore at that age. He should be considered at the same level.

Here's my order of the same 10 players (not that I'm some expert):

Huberdeau
Markstrom
Bjugstad
Shore
Grimaldi
Petrovic
Matheson
Trocheck
Howden
Robak

Old
02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Continues to shine at all levels. Near Hobey Baker material in his first full season in the WCHA. Has won gold across the board in his international play as a team leader on each roster. Had a great recent World Juniors as well. His only real issue is the fact that he's undersized.

He is much like Drew Shore at that age. He should be considered at the same level.

Huberdeau
Markstrom
Bjugstad
Shore
Grimaldi
Petrovic
Matheson
Trocheck
Howden
Robak
Grimaldi is nowhere near Hobey Baker material this season. Knight has had a much better season and he isn't even in the conversation. Grimaldi has been great this season, but Matheson has been exceptional. He's been his team's best defenseman on a lot of nights as a freshman on what was the #1 ranked team early on in the season. He plays the #1 PP.

Grimaldi didn't have a great WJC, he had a great final game, but for most of the tourney he was very disappointing. He has a serious size deficiency that he has to overcome in order to be successful in the pros. That is something that Shore, Matheson, Petrovic, Howden, etc. don't have to deal with. Petrovic and Howden are very safe prospects that project to be decent NHLers at the very least because of their all around game. Grimaldi has talent that they do not possess, however he also has a good chance of busting.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:57 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
He stepped into BC freshman and instantly became their number one defenseman as freshman. Also, the top scoring defenseman on the team with 19 points (6 goals) in 28 games. He takes too many stupid penalties, though. Leads the team with 64 PIMs.

But, you gotta love his aggressive style, puck-handling and cannon of a shot. It's already evident that he possesses qualities of a solid top-four d-man in the NHL.

We should all keep an eye on him. See how his game evolves next season. Great start to his college career anyway.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:03 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Grimaldi is nowhere near Hobey Baker material this season. Knight has had a much better season and he isn't even in the conversation. Grimaldi has been great this season, but Matheson has been exceptional. He's been his team's best defenseman on a lot of nights as a freshman on what was the #1 ranked team early on in the season. He plays the #1 PP.

Grimaldi didn't have a great WJC, he had a great final game, but for most of the tourney he was very disappointing. He has a serious size deficiency that he has to overcome in order to be successful in the pros. That is something that Shore, Matheson, Petrovic, Howden, etc. don't have to deal with. Petrovic and Howden are very safe prospects that project to be decent NHLers at the very least because of their all around game. Grimaldi has talent that they do not possess, however he also has a good chance of busting.
To his defense, Grimaldi made the most of a comeback season. He's fresh off an injury that cost him a whole season. ND's coach bounced him around the lineup a lot. I think Rocco played anywhere from the 3rd to the 1st line at different times. He scored a few big goals and looks impressive on the powerplay. Let's see what happens when the big guns leave the team. ND is going to look much different without Knight and Kristo. Hopefully, Grimaldi can step his game up to the next level and carry the team next season.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
To his defense, Grimaldi made the most of a comeback season. He's fresh off an injury that cost him a whole season. ND's coach bounced him around the lineup a lot. I think Rocco played anywhere from the 3rd to the 1st line at different times. He scored a few big goals and looks impressive on the powerplay. Let's see what happens when the big guns leave the team. ND is going to look much different without Knight and Kristo. Hopefully, Grimaldi can step his game up to the next level and carry the team next season.
That may all be true but to the point of would you rank him higher on the prospect list can you honestly say he should be higher? What has he proven compared to the other guys (save for Matheson)? No one is bagging him, just trying to make a list.

This isnt a bad thing either, for RG to be our no.8/9 prospect is bloody amazing.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
With this ranking being from The Hockey News, I wonder how recently they compiled their info to come up with the list. I dont have that much of an issue with their list. We have a lot of guys in the 4-10 range that are probably interchangeable right now.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:26 AM
RainingRats

I'd be more curious how they rate them as prospects individual than compared to one another.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
AaronEkbald
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
That may all be true but to the point of would you rank him higher on the prospect list can you honestly say he should be higher? What has he proven compared to the other guys (save for Matheson)? No one is bagging him, just trying to make a list.

This isnt a bad thing either, for RG to be our no.8/9 prospect is bloody amazing.
Huberdeau
Markstrom
Bjugstad
Shore
Robak
Howden
Petrovic
Matheson
Grimaldi
Trocheck

My list.

I based it on level of play, potential and accolades.

First three are obvious.

Robak over Howden since he was an AHL all-star last season, plus he's had more experience and success at the AHL level.

Matheson over RG and Trocheck because he's being more dominant at his level at a younger age. RG over Trocheck because of potential.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:

Nowhere near? He's among one of the leading scorers for freshmen. I never said he was going to be considered for the Hobey Baker this season, but he isn't too far from that picture and will be a sure consideration at least once if not multiple times in his college hockey career.

Corban Knight is having a much better season because Corban Knight is a 22 year old senior. He's a rising prospect. At Grimaldi's age he was producing half as much.

I don't mean to shortchange Matheson -- I'll be honest I don't know anything about him. I'm glad to hear good things though.

With what you've said about Grimaldi's boom-bust potential, I completely agree. But when it comes to ranking prospects, I wouldn't rank them by how safe they are. I would rank them by their overall potential. Semantics, I guess.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

8th is low? Remember, the Panthers have had something like two dozen draft picks in the last 3 years since Tallon took over. Grimaldi's stock is slightly down because of injuries hampering his development, and meanwhile his size will always be an issue until he makes it to the NHL and proves otherwise...ask Marty St. Louis.

As for Shore, he definitely should be above Howden as he's proven more and is already a regular in the NHL - in fact, he'll graduate from the prospect list this year because he's been a lineup regular, won't he? Or does the lockout shortened season keep him under the necessary games to be no longer considered a prospect?

Matheson shouldn't be ranked higher than those who have already gone pro - he's promising, but if I recall was in a weak draft and questions by scouts about his hockey sense kept him from drafting higher. Time will tell - haven't followed, but I think he's doing well at BC. But the college game isn't the same as the pro game - Howden, Shore, and Robak should all be ahead of him in my book, since all are pros who have seen NHL ice. Petrovic is more debatable. Shore also seems to have a higher upside at this point than when he was drafted, and arguably higher than Matheson, so I'd definitely rank him higher.

02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
8th is low? Remember, the Panthers have had something like two dozen draft picks in the last 3 years since Tallon took over. Grimaldi's stock is slightly down because of injuries hampering his development, and meanwhile his size will always be an issue until he makes it to the NHL and proves otherwise...ask Marty St. Louis.

As for Shore, he definitely should be above Howden as he's proven more and is already a regular in the NHL - in fact, he'll graduate from the prospect list this year because he's been a lineup regular, won't he? Or does the lockout shortened season keep him under the necessary games to be no longer considered a prospect?

Matheson shouldn't be ranked higher than those who have already gone pro - he's promising, but if I recall was in a weak draft and questions by scouts about his hockey sense kept him from drafting higher. Time will tell - haven't followed, but I think he's doing well at BC. But the college game isn't the same as the pro game - Howden, Shore, and Robak should all be ahead of him in my book, since all are pros who have seen NHL ice. Petrovic is more debatable. Shore also seems to have a higher upside at this point than when he was drafted, and arguably higher than Matheson, so I'd definitely rank him higher.
HF's standards are you're still a prospect until you play in 65 games so both Shore & even Huberdeau will be prospects after this season due to the shortened yr. The Calder trophy uses a cutoff of 25 games so Shore is gonna achieve that most likely this yr. I'm not sure how Hockey News classifies their "prospects" TBH.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Dr Beinfest

If he's a regular and he's not a rookie, he's graduated from my listing t the very least

Old
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post

For that list, yes. I'd say 8 is low for Grimaldi. Keep in mind, this is the same player that has the skillset (and was projected) of a player going in the middle 1st round. Grimaldi has shown so far this year that despite a setback, there's no setback in his game. His only real clear cut disadvantage is his height, but like what I'm about to say below... I prefer to rank based upon potential and age. Sort by ceilings, not by how far a player has come.

Quote:
And again it boils down to semantics here. In my eyes, ranking prospects should be based mostly on potential versus age.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I'm not sure how Hockey News classifies their "prospects" TBH.
“Our line in the sand for when a prospect crosses over to become on NHLer is typically 50 NHL games. In some cases, a player doesn't reach 50 NHL games, but played enough heavy minutes, and well enough, to establish themselves as NHLers and therefore not “prospect” enough for this list. Having a lockout butt up against our evaluation deadlines blurs that line even more”

- The Hockey News

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:39 PM
JPG

Quote:

Not to nitpick, but there's been a sizeable contingent of people calling for Knight to get the Hobey Baker this season. Also, as shown here, he is in the lead by quite alot in fanvoting for the award. You said he wasn't even in the conversation, just fixing for you a little

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 03:53 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
I'm not saying he hasn't had a great season, in fact that is what I said. I just think Matheson has been more impressive, and has better physical tools as well. I'm sure once Knight and Kristo are gone, he'll score even more next season. That is not the point though. As I am sure Matheson will continue to gain more of his coaches' trust. They both play on stacked teams so I don't see the point in saying Grimaldi is buried in depth. He has gotten a lot of time on the 1st line this season too.

Quote:
Nowhere near? He's among one of the leading scorers for freshmen. I never said he was going to be considered for the Hobey Baker this season, but he isn't too far from that picture and will be a sure consideration at least once if not multiple times in his college hockey career.

Corban Knight is having a much better season because Corban Knight is a 22 year old senior. He's a rising prospect. At Grimaldi's age he was producing half as much.

I don't mean to shortchange Matheson -- I'll be honest I don't know anything about him. I'm glad to hear good things though.

With what you've said about Grimaldi's boom-bust potential, I completely agree. But when it comes to ranking prospects, I wouldn't rank them by how safe they are. I would rank them by their overall potential. Semantics, I guess.
He's among the scoring leaders for freshman, so that makes him near Hobey Baker material? There are guys in the top 10 in NCAA scoring that aren't near Hobey Baker material. Grimaldi doesn't get points for being young. When he is actually putting up the required stats and performing at a Hobey Baker level, then I will say he's Hobey Baker material or close to it.

Potential is one thing, but you also have to take into account performance and also where you project them in 5 years time(when they would be in the NHL). After all, that's what this is all about. Grimaldi's boom-bust factor means there is considerable risk there that isn't there with some of our other prospects. I don't mean to rain on Grimaldi's parade, but that's just life. Some of our other top prospects are more likely to be NHL players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPG View Post
Not to nitpick, but there's been a sizeable contingent of people calling for Knight to get the Hobey Baker this season. Also, as shown here, he is in the lead by quite alot in fanvoting for the award. You said he wasn't even in the conversation, just fixing for you a little
Touche, but I've been hearing all season that Knight's chances of winning the Hobey are pretty outside. As it sits right now, he is 4th in the nation in scoring and even behind his own linemate Kristo in PPG. True, he plays a more all-around game than Kristo, but I'm just illustrating that he is far from holding the best chair at the table. I think Greg Carey and Ryan Walters have the best shot at it, they both have a 4 point lead on Knight with the season winding down, and they are both juniors while Knight is a senior. Meanwhile, Gaudreau is right there as well and he's only a sophomore. And you also have to factor in the two outstanding goalies, Chubak and Hartzell. Knight certainly has a chance, but I would think a slim one. You never know what's going to happen though.

Old
03-03-2013, 03:38 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:

Huberdeau
Markstrom
Bjugstad
Shore
Grimaldi
Petrovic
Matheson
Trocheck
Howden
Robak
Grimaldi over Howden? I dont think so. Howden will be in the Panthers starting lineup next year, you guys will love this guy's work ethic and trust me, he will be a keeper.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote