HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Favourite Decade for Music?

View Poll Results: What is your favourite decade for music?
2010's 2 1.60%
2000's 12 9.60%
1990's 53 42.40%
1980's 12 9.60%
1970's 31 24.80%
1960's 13 10.40%
1950's 1 0.80%
Other 1 0.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM
  #51
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994
 
Kurdt Kobain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nova sGOATia
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,724
vCash: 500
Okay, I changed the title of the thread to what I meant it to be... Any confusion is my fault, sorry. But for the record, the OP and Poll both say "favourite".

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  #52
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 8,165
vCash: 500
1980's

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
  #53
Expatriate
Registered User
 
Expatriate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Another vote for 60's and 70's

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
  #54
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
 
Trance Kuja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hollywood, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 46,988
vCash: 500
I don't have a favorite decade, either.

I love plenty of music in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s, and '10s.

Trance Kuja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:10 PM
  #55
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
Okay, I changed the title of the thread to what I meant it to be... Any confusion is my fault, sorry. But for the record, the OP and Poll both say "favourite".
Still think they should be considered the same thing.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
  #56
Hippasus
1,9,45,165,495,1287,
 
Hippasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Still think they should be considered the same thing.
Why? Someone might judge what one thinks is best and favorite differently.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
  #57
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippasus View Post
Why? Someone might judge what one thinks is best and favorite differently.
You're right, let me rephrase that-- "I" think they're the same thing.

But I do kind of think it seems kind of disingenuous to have criteria for something being good that doesn't have to have any correlation to how much you actually get out of it.

There's no reason the term "favorite" should be associated any more with conventional fun/entertainment/rewatchability than appreciation/interest. It should be a combination of both-- But if you aren't satisfied by something AND don't appreciate it, then why would you give it credit on a level that outweighs how you actually feel about it? Seems backwards, cold, and calculated to me.

It's more just a logical knot/peeve I have than some statement I'm making. I treat them exactly the same way.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 02-28-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:00 AM
  #58
Richards to Gaborik
Registered User
 
Richards to Gaborik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 960
vCash: 500
It has to be the late 60's, early 70's IMO

But I would be lying if I said I didn't love the 90's as well. It's what I grew up listening to.

Richards to Gaborik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:22 AM
  #59
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,426
vCash: 500
90s were awesome.

GnR
Iron Maiden
MR Big
The Offspring
Scorpions
Edguy
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Metallica
Soul Asylum
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Tom Petty
Soundgarden
E-Type
Green Day
RHCP
REM
Foo Fighters
Hammerfall

etc...

There were so many great albums by so many great bands during that time. 80s were obviously awesome too, and the 2000s have been kickass as well. It had to be the 90s.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
  #60
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,418
vCash: 500
I have rock n' roll music I wouldn't want to do without going from about 1957 to today, but I'd say the diversity of what was available that I liked was strongest in the 80s and 90s and peaked around 1995. Still plenty of music in the 60s, 70s, and 00s I love though. It's gotten harder since 2000 to find good bands, though.

__________________
"...and ultimately it doesn't matter."
Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:08 AM
  #61
Hippasus
1,9,45,165,495,1287,
 
Hippasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
You're right, let me rephrase that-- "I" think they're the same thing.

But I do kind of think it seems kind of disingenuous to have criteria for something being good that doesn't have to have any correlation to how much you actually get out of it.

There's no reason the term "favorite" should be associated any more with conventional fun/entertainment/rewatchability than appreciation/interest. It should be a combination of both-- But if you aren't satisfied by something AND don't appreciate it, then why would you give it credit on a level that outweighs how you actually feel about it? Seems backwards, cold, and calculated to me.

It's more just a logical knot/peeve I have than some statement I'm making. I treat them exactly the same way.
You think they should be treated the same for you. Fine. But I could make a list about what I think is the best in general just as well as I could my faves. They would probably overlap, but 'best' is subjective and tries to be objective as well. Whether it's actually objective may or may not be the case. Cheers.

Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:07 AM
  #62
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippasus View Post
You think they should be treated the same for you. Fine. But I could make a list about what I think is the best in general just as well as I could my faves. They would probably overlap, but 'best' is subjective and tries to be objective as well. Whether it's actually objective may or may not be the case. Cheers.
That's fine. I'm not really crazy about that idea is all I'm saying, I wasn't trying to claim that people can't (that's why I redacted what I said/the way it sounded).

But I do have an inkling that using the word best that way makes it less meaningful than the word favorite. It's sort of like using a criteria you don't believe in. I kind of think that something being well-made shouldn't contribute to how "good" something is as much as how satisfying something is. From my perspective, I just don't think the first two should be synonymous with each other while the latter two should. You could try to be objective still and guess how satisfied others can be by something, but unless you feel similarly, it seems kind of disingenuous to me to try.

Using best to strictly mean most well made implies that there's a universally correct way to do film beyond just how you/others might respond to it-- and I don't like or care for that idea. That's all I'm saying


Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
  #63
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,807
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
I voted 90s, but I think everyone will pick the decade they grew up in (generally grades 5-12).

60s and 70s were probably the best decades for music, but as far as my personal favourite, the 90s were full of a wide variety of music with no genre really overly dominating the charts consistently. Most of my favourite bands started in the 90s, too.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:19 PM
  #64
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Born in 85.

90s gets my vote.

I listen to all decades, but im not about to sit here and pretend like the time I grew up shouldnt have a significant impact on my music tastes like some people have suggested. Thats ****ing silly.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  #65
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,487
vCash: 500
Wow, did not expect the 90s to be winning this.

Went for the 70s myself. So many great things in so many different genres. I think the 2010s could give it a run for its money at the end of the decade, but its still early.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  #66
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Every decade is great but the 70s is untouched;

Hard Rock, Reggae, Jazz, Funk, Jam Rock, Prog Rock, Soul, Krautrock, Afrobeat, Country, Folk, and that's only within the first 5-6 years. Then in the late 70s came Punk, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and the beginnings of Hip Hop.

80s was very good but at times the production (like the "Gated Drums" sound Phil Collins made popular and everyone copied + way too much reverb on everything) was too much and there were a lot of records that were great but don't feel as warm as the 70s stuff.

90s is my second favorite decade. So much explosive stuff from commercial metal, alternative, G Funk Hip Hop, and there were a bunch of great indie records in metal, rock, hip hop, etc. The problem with the 90s is that a majority of the good music was in the early to mid part of the decade. Even though I'm only recently getting into Jeff Buckley around the time he passed away is coincidentally when everything went to crap.

2000s had some very good stuff but it was mostly indie.

2010s so far has been pretty brutal but that's because the rules have changed; albums are treated like baseball cards with downloading and mp3s and there's like 10 artists being pushed (Adele, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Drake, Mumford and Sons, Nikki Minaj, Drake, and right now this band fun. is all the rage) Every once in a blue moon a Kendrick Lamar comes around and a band like Tomahawk puts out an album with little to no press. The internet (Pitchfork, IGN, etc.) and network TV has a major say in what gets pushed not radio or MTV.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
  #67
Smelling Salt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
For me it's the 80s AINEC.

I love the pop music from the decade. Great hooks and melodies (unparalleled IMO), great production (unlike nowadays) and muther****in sax solos. God yes the sax solos.

Smelling Salt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
  #68
Heyoooo*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Every decade is great but the 70s is untouched;

Hard Rock, Reggae, Jazz, Funk, Jam Rock, Prog Rock, Soul, Krautrock, Afrobeat, Country, Folk, and that's only within the first 5-6 years. Then in the late 70s came Punk, New Wave of British Heavy Metal, and the beginnings of Hip Hop.

80s was very good but at times the production (like the "Gated Drums" sound Phil Collins made popular and everyone copied + way too much reverb on everything) was too much and there were a lot of records that were great but don't feel as warm as the 70s stuff.

90s is my second favorite decade. So much explosive stuff from commercial metal, alternative, G Funk Hip Hop, and there were a bunch of great indie records in metal, rock, hip hop, etc. The problem with the 90s is that a majority of the good music was in the early to mid part of the decade. Even though I'm only recently getting into Jeff Buckley around the time he passed away is coincidentally when everything went to crap.

2000s had some very good stuff but it was mostly indie.

2010s so far has been pretty brutal but that's because the rules have changed; albums are treated like baseball cards with downloading and mp3s and there's like 10 artists being pushed (Adele, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Drake, Mumford and Sons, Nikki Minaj, Drake, and right now this band fun. is all the rage) Every once in a blue moon a Kendrick Lamar comes around and a band like Tomahawk puts out an album with little to no press. The internet (Pitchfork, IGN, etc.) and network TV has a major say in what gets pushed not radio or MTV.

The underground punk/indie/rock scene (that eventually was at the forefront in the 90s) in the 80s surely lacked but everything else from the 80s I liked, especially electronic. Pinnacle electronic albums.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
  #69
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell
 
JustGivingEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,644
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Wow, did not expect the 90s to be winning this.

Went for the 70s myself. So many great things in so many different genres. I think the 2010s could give it a run for its money at the end of the decade, but its still early.
I think it is due to the age of the average poster. For example, I voted 90s because thats the music I grew up with. It might not be the music I listen to anymore or even the music I think is the best, but it is all-time favourite decade.

It was a very hard choice though.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:14 PM
  #70
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!
 
White Plains Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
It makes sense that the 90s would be so influential based not only on content, but there was a lot of explosive stuff happening in the early 90s that caused great art to be made;

HIV/AIDS becoming a mainstream problem after Magic Johnson admitted to having it, The Gulf War Conflict, Rodney King/LA Riots, backlash of hair metal.

I don't know how influential all or any of this was in Canada, but it played an important part in many albums in many genres that came out around this time.

Plus for anyone Canadian here, Roll The Bones by Rush which came out in 1991 was the best album they put out since Moving Pictures 10 years earlier.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 11:53 PM
  #71
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar
 
Taro Tsujimoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clarence Center, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,915
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
definitely 2010. Bieber, Skrillex, Rebecca Black, Carly Rae Jepson, etc.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:45 AM
  #72
Evil Speaker
Registered
 
Evil Speaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NorthVan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  #73
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
That's my state's senior Senator he's looking at there, so offhand I'd have to say...not serious.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
  #74
Acadmus
Moderator
 
Acadmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 15,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
It makes sense that the 90s would be so influential based not only on content, but there was a lot of explosive stuff happening in the early 90s that caused great art to be made;

HIV/AIDS becoming a mainstream problem after Magic Johnson admitted to having it, The Gulf War Conflict, Rodney King/LA Riots, backlash of hair metal.
Spoken like someone who thinks history started in 1990

Seriously, every decade had it's highly inspirational problems. The Cold War and fears of nuclear annihilation was a backdrop for every decade from the 1950s until the end of the 80s, for instance. Civil Rights marches, Cuban Missile Crisis, assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK, and the Vietnam war in the 60s. Terrorism, Vietnam, Russian invasion of Afghanistan, oil embargoes, economic stagnation and inflation (a.k.a. stagflation), the Iranian Revolution and embassy hostages in the 70s...fears that the Soviets would launch missiles, the explosion of the Challenger, invasion of Grenada, famine in Ethiopia, increased manufacturing competition from Japan and the sunsetting of a number of American industries, the fall of the Iron Curtain...serial killers throughout each decade...all sorts of troubles that can inspire singers from all walks of life. The 90s had no monopoly on it, and I say that as someone who voted for the 90s as my favorite decade.

Oh, and AIDS became a mainstream problem in the 80s after Rock Hudson died from it. Magic Johnson brought it to the forefront again after several years, but it was a boy named Ryan White that was the poster boy for "everyone can get it" - he died after contracting HIV through a blood transfusion. Johnson was predictable because he was promiscuous. But it was Rock Hudson's death in the early 80s that shocked everyone.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #75
Hesher
down on the upside
 
Hesher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: middle of nowhere
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 297
90's for me

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.