HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
Dunno about that. RNH got 52 points in 62 games last year at 18. He was -2, which isn't bad considering most of the Oilers good players are 18-22 years old.

OTOH Jacques Martin clearly hated Spezza and played him on the 3rd line for his first 2 seasons. After they fired him Spezza crushed the AHL during the lockout and then got a ton of points the next 2 seasons on the top line.

So basically if Spezza didn't have a dumb, stubborn a-hole for a head coach he might have put up some impressive numbers, but I don't think we can say was clearly better at 18 than RNH was.
Completely different league and different times. Also a completely different team. RNH plays on a team that has pretty much only offensive talent in a run and gun style with some of the better winger talents to come out of the draft in a while, and was given every opportunity to succeed while being entirely sheltered.

RNH put up 105 points in 69 games in his draft year. Spezza was on pace for over 140. Spezza was the youngest person to make the WJC Canada team (I think ever? maybe not...but he was there at 16) RNH didn't even make it in his draft year.

Spezza had way more talent at the same age.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Completely different league and different times. Also a completely different team. RNH plays on a team that has pretty much only offensive talent in a run and gun style with some of the better winger talents to come out of the draft in a while, and was given every opportunity to succeed while being entirely sheltered.

RNH put up 105 points in 69 games in his draft year. Spezza was on pace for over 140. Spezza was the youngest person to make the WJC Canada team (I think ever? maybe not...but he was there at 16) RNH didn't even make it in his draft year.

Spezza had way more talent at the same age.
Off the top of my head, I think Jay Bouwmeester holds that record, actually.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBossta View Post
I think Petersson can still make it if he really wants it, hes still only 22 years old and had a strong rookie season in the AHL for a smallish forward coming overseas and playing for a crappy Bingo team last year.

GP60 23 21 P44 is pretty good, just sucks he got injured, would have been great for him to have a full season under Luke.
He wasn't playing very well under Richardson prior to the injury. Petersson doesn't really fit well in either Richardson or MacLean's systems. Both require players to play a 200 foot game, finish their checks and battle hard in the dirty areas. Petersson is more of a one dimensional offensive threat.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Lindros, Crosby, Bouwmeester, Spezza and Gretzky were only 16 year olds to make team I believe, so whoever has the earliest birthday.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Lindros, Crosby, Bouwmeester, Spezza and Gretzky were only 16 year olds to make team I believe, so whoever has the earliest birthday.
Gretzky Jan 26th
Lindros Feb 28th
Spezza June 13th
Crosby Aug 7th
Bouwmeester Sept 27th

Old
02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Latest birthday.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Latest birthday.
Ahhh yes, thanks, thinking backwards there.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:38 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
We don't pay you to think, we pay you to moderate.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
We don't pay you to think, we pay you to moderate.
Wait... other mods get paid?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Ok so Spezza was the 3rd youngest ever by a couple months. Man...look at the names on that list. Aside from JBo (no idea what happened to him) Spezza is in some pretty good company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
He wasn't playing very well under Richardson prior to the injury. Petersson doesn't really fit well in either Richardson or MacLean's systems. Both require players to play a 200 foot game, finish their checks and battle hard in the dirty areas. Petersson is more of a one dimensional offensive threat.
I remember there were people that thought Petersson would be better than Silfverberg. I still don't think he'll ever be an NHL player. Or if he does it will be short lived. Too small and doesn't play the right kind of game. Also quite soft.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Wait... other mods get paid?

ya, I will get you set up. Just send me your SIN and your bank account number and password and I will have them wire you your payments

Old
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Ok so Spezza was the 3rd youngest ever by a couple months. Man...look at the names on that list. Aside from JBo (no idea what happened to him) Spezza is in some pretty good company.

I remember there were people that thought Petersson would be better than Silfverberg. I still don't think he'll ever be an NHL player. Or if he does it will be short lived. Too small and doesn't play the right kind of game. Also quite soft.
If you ask me, his development just slowed way the heck down. In a lot of ways, 18 year old Jay Bouwmeester was the same as 16 year old Jay Bouwmeester. And then to exacerbate that, he's a guy that, IMO, was never handled properly by the Panthers.

Think of JayBo like a Lear Jet. If you put regular unleaded in the gas tank and try to fly, regardless of how beautiful the engine is, you're going to mess it up. And even if you drain the gas tank and try to fill it with airplane fuel, you've still probably done permanent damage to the engine.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
ya, I will get you set up. Just send me your SIN and your bank account number and password and I will have them wire you your payments
OK, done.

I'm not sure if my SIN will help you with finances though, seeing as how I'm now an expat, so I sent you my passport via express courier, and a copy of my birth certificate too.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Lol, you made this assumption off what? The first 17 games? Where the whole team was struggling to score goals? Petersson made a lot of chances for himself but he has two huge faults:

1)He tries to do so much. Rather than using his linemates he starts dangling the entire team.
2)He doesn't use his IQ all that much as well as he did a year ago making his size a huge downside when he chances the puck instead of using his smarts to pass defenders.

His hustle was there as well as his work ethic.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Smitty26

has this trade thread ever derailed. more O'Reilly talk!!!!!!111111

Old
02-27-2013, 10:22 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Can anyone explain to me why there is optimism for Petersson, yet most write off Filatov, with a ton of venom.

I don't get it.

If you could also explain the difference between Silfverberg wanting to play in Sweden, and Filatov wanting to play in Russia, I would appreciate that as well.

All three are 22.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Can anyone explain to me why there is optimism for Petersson, yet most write off Filatov, with a ton of venom.

I don't get it.

If you could also explain the difference between Silfverberg wanting to play in Sweden, and Filatov wanting to play in Russia, I would appreciate that as well.

All three are 22.
You are my new favourite.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:

I don't get it.

All three are 22.
Easy. One is Swedish and one is Russian. A lot of posters on this forum have raging hard-on's for Swedes and hate Russians.

But you already knew that.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:28 PM
BankStreetParade

Quote:

I don't get it.

All three are 22.
I think the perception with Filatov is that he gave up on trying to pursue his NHL dream. I don't think that's ever been the case for the other 2. The organization (rightly or wrongly) felt Filatov had a lot to learn about playing in a system like ours and wanted him to go down to the AHL and learn how to play the game properly and the way they expect the game to be played here in Ottawa. Whatever his reasons are, I could see why people feel like he gave up when the going got tough.

It's really hard to compare that back story to a guy like Silfverberg who's been a noted two way player in the SEL.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:30 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:

I don't get it.

All three are 22.
Easy.

It's because my username is AndrePetersson, and everyone on this board has a crush on me.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Easy.

It's because my username is AndrePetersson, and everyone on this board has a crush on me.
Is it because you are a girl?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:

I don't get it.

All three are 22.
In my defence, I've been writing off Petersson as a one-dimensional, "nothing special" player for years now. He's the kind of prospect you get excited about when your farm system sucks and you don't really have any blue-chip guys. He's a wishing on a star, "Josh Hennessey"- type prospect.

In a system as deep as our is, he's a one-trick pony whose trick isn't enough to get him to the NHL on it's own.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
In my defence, I've been writing off Petersson as a one-dimensional, "nothing special" player for years now. He's the kind of prospect you get excited about when your farm system sucks and you don't really have any blue-chip guys. He's a wishing on a star, "Josh Hennessey"- type prospect.

In a system as deep as our is, he's a one-trick pony whose trick isn't enough to get him to the NHL on it's own.
Josh Hennessey was a pretty good poor man's Vermette.

Fast, good at faceoffs, excellent penalty killer that had enough skill to chip in offense in a non-top six role, but good enough defensively to not be a liability in that role.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Josh Hennessey was a pretty good poor man's Vermette.

Fast, good at faceoffs, excellent penalty killer that had enough skill to chip in offense in a non-top six role, but good enough defensively to not be a liability in that role.
Why isn't this guy on the sens? Why did we let a player like that get away?...

Old
02-27-2013, 11:05 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Why isn't this guy on the sens? Why did we let a player like that get away?...
1) We had a pretty long list of forwards on NHL one-way contracts while the guy will still a Sens prospect
2) Vermette was still only a 3rd liner on this team
3) I actually always thought Hennessey never got a fair shot to stick with the team. I don't think he was any worse of an option than some of the scrubs we had toiling on our 4th line at the time

Closed Thread