HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News From Around the League - Part XXXIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
  #26
Semak
Moderator
_______________
 
Semak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osaka, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 500
Don't like it, don't want it. Hope the NHLPA rejects it.

Semak is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
  #27
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Nashville is a stones throw away from Atlanta compared to the others. I don't see how realignment is going to work with Quebec pushing hardfor a team and Phoenix's status in jeopardy. We're going to have to go through this again soon. Just flip Nashville and Winnipeg until their is 32 teams.

apice3* is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
  #28
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,615
vCash: 500
Perhaps this particular draw up they might.

But 4 timezone friendly divisions is very travel friendly for the players. So I can see this format going through.
The Florida teams/players might be in opposition, though. They lose opponents like Washington and Carolina for Toronto and Montreal.

manilaNJ is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
  #29
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
It`s rumoured that they might trade for Ian White, who`s a HS tonight.

Also, Kesler has a broken foot. What the actual ****?
Poor guy can't stay healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Players don't like playoff imbalance. Believe easiest fix is to leave either CBJ or Det in west. PA hasn't completed full player rep review.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Told it's 50-50 at the moment as to whether or not PA approves realignment proposal. NHL will push hard to get it through as is. #TSN


So that would mean both an 8 and a 7 team division in each conference.

The math still sucks. 6 divisions or make a Winnipeg swap til the math works out.
I really hope the NHLPA rejects this latest harebrained scheme. How on earth the owners can possibly think this is the most logical solution is beyond me. Illitch really has the league by the balls if this goes through.

Saugus is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
  #30
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Really hope they don't approve the alignment either. Time zone is a major cog in this but there has to be better methods.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
  #31
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Nashville is a stones throw away from Atlanta compared to the others. I don't see how realignment is going to work with Quebec pushing hardfor a team and Phoenix's status in jeopardy. We're going to have to go through this again soon. Just flip Nashville and Winnipeg until their is 32 teams.
This would be the easiest fix. Nothing's ever easy with the league though.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:25 PM
  #32
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,615
vCash: 500
Dallas & Minnesota are the hardest teams to try and build divisions around. They're going to be a traveling albatross on any division they're in.

I threw this together in the other thread:

Atlantic: New Jersey, New York Isles, New York Rags, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
North East: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
South East: Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

Central: Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis
North West: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver


Last edited by manilaNJ: 02-27-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: errant commas
manilaNJ is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
  #33
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,399
vCash: 500
The problem with the West is outside Detroit, Chicago, St. louis and L.A. All of the US teams in the conference are under 25 years old.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
  #34
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Perhaps this particular draw up they might.

But 4 timezone friendly divisions is very travel friendly for the players. So I can see this format going through.
The Florida teams/players might be in opposition, though. They lose opponents like Washington and Carolina for Toronto and Montreal.
They might take that given Toronto and Montreal are bigger draws. Though the travel is brutal.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
  #35
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,991
vCash: 500
I don't actually mind the whole four division setup, but I don't get why the league's so stuck on division matchups in the first two rounds of the playoffs, especially when you might not get one or two in the second round with the 'wild cards' anyway. Have the division winners only get guaranteed playoff berths, have the other twelve teams be wild cards (six per two divisions, keep the conferences) and then division imbalance isn't an issue and you have the playoffs relatively the same as is now.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:45 PM
  #36
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Dallas & Minnesota are the hardest teams to try and build divisions around. They're going to be a traveling albatross on any division they're in.

I threw this together in the other thread:

Atlantic: New Jersey, New York Isles, New York Rags, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
North East: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
South East: Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington

Central: Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis
North West: Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Pacific: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver
I wouldn't want to split up Calgary and Vancouver and would rather keep Colorado in the Pacific. But I don't think the league wants four Canadian teams in one five-team division either.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
  #37
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User
 
jkrdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 30,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I don't actually mind the whole four division setup, but I don't get why the league's so stuck on division matchups in the first two rounds of the playoffs, especially when you might not get one or two in the second round with the 'wild cards' anyway. Have the division winners only get guaranteed playoff berths, have the other twelve teams be wild cards (six per two divisions, keep the conferences) and then division imbalance isn't an issue and you have the playoffs relatively the same as is now.
Giving division winners just a playoff birth isn't a reward for winning the division (making it meaningless). There is not been a situation where a division winner would not other wise make the playoffs on points (there have been a few where they would be 8, but not out). And that is under a 3 division per conference format. It would never happen under a 2.

The reason why the league wants division playoffs is to build up rivalries, especially in the west where most of the newer teams are. Rivalries in the first two rounds can hook viewers in that you hope stay for rounds 3 and 4 where the stakes are high and the series are already intense.

But all the concessions the league has made over last year just undercut all the reasons to do it. At this point I think it may be better and just pull an NFL and leave Winnipeg in the southeast until expansion comes to reorganize.

jkrdevil is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
  #38
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,991
vCash: 500
Obviously the division winners should get the top two seeds, as they've gotten the top seeds in the current system. With so many teams in each division there's little chance of having a 'bad' division winner the way you do in shorter five-team divisions. That's the only advantage you can really give them and as we've seen in recent years it isn't always much of an advantage anyway.

Building up rivalries in the West is nice in theory, but you're not always going to get repeat matchups with ginormous-size divisions. You'll probably get as many repeat matchups as you do NOW in the eight-team divisions, since they're almost as big as 'two' five-team ones. Seven team divisions you'll get a few more, but it's not always going to be the same four out of seven teams that make the playoffs.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 01:36 AM
  #39
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Honestly though, realignment isn't my issue. Good teams and bad teams change yearly. I just don't want the playoff system changed. Top 8 teams, no restrictions of who you play in what round.

As long as they keep 1-8 seeding, 1v8, 2v7 etc, realignment won't bother me as a fan. It's all behind the scenes business that we don't really see.

apice3* is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 02:04 AM
  #40
Jersey Man
Mad Dog
 
Jersey Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
What would really bother me is if the league decides to do the playoff scenario where East vs East or West vs West in the Stanley Cup Finals.

That would tick me off.

Jersey Man is online now  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:05 AM
  #41
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!
 
Rob Nieds work ethic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lund, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
The most important thing is that the current playoff format doesn't change one bit. Surely they can't **** that up, I hope.

Rob Nieds work ethic is online now  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
  #42
Hollywood163
Registered User
 
Hollywood163's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Monmouth County, NJ
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Giving division winners just a playoff birth isn't a reward for winning the division (making it meaningless). There is not been a situation where a division winner would not other wise make the playoffs on points (there have been a few where they would be 8, but not out). And that is under a 3 division per conference format. It would never happen under a 2.

The reason why the league wants division playoffs is to build up rivalries, especially in the west where most of the newer teams are. Rivalries in the first two rounds can hook viewers in that you hope stay for rounds 3 and 4 where the stakes are high and the series are already intense.

But all the concessions the league has made over last year just undercut all the reasons to do it. At this point I think it may be better and just pull an NFL and leave Winnipeg in the southeast until expansion comes to reorganize.
If the Rangers pick up 2 points and leap over CAR,WPG,TB, , It would happen right now.

I like the realignment plan. That weak ass Southeast division has to go away.

Hollywood163 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:18 AM
  #43
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
If the Rangers pick up 2 points and leap over CAR,WPG,TB, , It would happen right now.

I like the realignment plan. That weak ass Southeast division has to go away.
There are a lot of oddities halfway through a season, which we aren't at yet either. If that is the case at the end of the year, then we can worry about it.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:25 AM
  #44
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,824
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
The most important thing is that the current playoff format doesn't change one bit. Surely they can't **** that up, I hope.
wildcards! Oh and a play-in game between any teams tied in standings for the final slots in the East and West. Toss out the tie breakers, they're just going to follow the NCAA basketball format and let you play yourself into the tournament. More playoff revenues that way and a way to fill the void between the end of regular season and the start of the playoffs. Ratings dream! ESPN will get to broadcast the play-in game which will be hosted by the Columbus Blue Jackets since they got shafted out of an all-star game this year.



MOAR MARKETING. Budweiser Black Crown will be the beer sponsor along with Doritos who will air a customer made commercial featuring your own Harlem Shake video parody.

Then the on-ice slogan this year will be an apology to fans for the CBA lockout debacle and be seen spelled out "We're So Sorry" which will be spun out into a viral meme about how sorry the officials were during the playoffs.


__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.

Last edited by Richer's Ghost: 02-28-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Richer's Ghost is online now  
Old
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
  #45
Luke3026
When you're burned..
 
Luke3026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raritan, NJ
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 500
While we're talking gimmicks, how about an epic 10-event skills competition to break the standing ties. Hell, we're already deciding regular season games with a skills comp., why not go a step further? Imagine the excitement! Am I right, am I right?

Quote:
The most important thing is that the current playoff format doesn't change one bit. Surely they can't **** that up, I hope.
Sadly, after watching this league for 25 years now, I have no confidence in them not screwing anything up.

Luke3026 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
  #46
Semak
Moderator
_______________
 
Semak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Osaka, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
wildcards! Oh and a play-in game between any teams tied in standings for the final slots in the East and West. Toss out the tie breakers, they're just going to follow the NCAA basketball format and let you play yourself into the tournament. More playoff revenues that way and a way to fill the void between the end of regular season and the start of the playoffs. Ratings dream! ESPN will get to broadcast the play-in game which will be hosted by the Columbus Blue Jackets since they got shafted out of an all-star game this year.



MOAR MARKETING. Budweiser Black Crown will be the beer sponsor along with Doritos who will air a customer made commercial featuring your own Harlem Shake video parody.

Then the on-ice slogan this year will be an apology to fans for the CBA lockout debacle and be seen spelled out "We're So Sorry" which will be spun out into a viral meme about how sorry the officials were during the playoffs.

That's a trip Can the Blue Jackets get a shot at Score-O between periods? Dubinsky should get a shot at a car, Steve Mason a cruise.

Semak is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 10:12 AM
  #47
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 21,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
wildcards! Oh and a play-in game between any teams tied in standings for the final slots in the East and West. Toss out the tie breakers, they're just going to follow the NCAA basketball format and let you play yourself into the tournament. More playoff revenues that way and a way to fill the void between the end of regular season and the start of the playoffs. Ratings dream! ESPN will get to broadcast the play-in game which will be hosted by the Columbus Blue Jackets since they got shafted out of an all-star game this year.



MOAR MARKETING. Budweiser Black Crown will be the beer sponsor along with Doritos who will air a customer made commercial featuring your own Harlem Shake video parody.

Then the on-ice slogan this year will be an apology to fans for the CBA lockout debacle and be seen spelled out "We're So Sorry" which will be spun out into a viral meme about how sorry the officials were during the playoffs.


That would be amazingly funny.

glenwo2 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
  #48
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 103,743
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic View Post
The most important thing is that the current playoff format doesn't change one bit. Surely they can't **** that up, I hope.
Curious why on earth would you not want divisional playoffs back?

NHL screwed up when they abandoned Div playoffs in early 90's for this garbage NBA setup

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
  #49
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Redundancy. No one wants to play the same teams every year.

apice3* is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
  #50
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,824
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Curious why on earth would you not want divisional playoffs back?

NHL screwed up when they abandoned Div playoffs in early 90's for this garbage NBA setup
if they go back to that will we get the old school names back?

Campbell & Wales?

Smythe, Norris, Patrick, and Adams?

Richer's Ghost is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.