HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Ryan Sproul (2011, 55th overall, Detroit)

Old
02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm502 View Post
Wow, that's very interesting. Do you know the reason why he might be playing center?
Apparently he's done it before a few times every now and then. Cousins got suspended for four games and I don't think they have an extra forward or something.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Not unprecedented for offensive defensemen to play center if needed in the CHL. Most notable case probably has to be Paul Reinhart (Father of Max, Griffin and Sam) who played center for an entire season back in '79.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Anchor Town

Only an assist

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Only an assist
Bust.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Only an assist
and a +1! I'm more surprised at him only being on for one goal against considering center is not the easiest position to play, especially for a guy who doesn't play forward at all.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:55 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
and a +1! I'm more surprised at him only being on for one goal against considering center is not the easiest position to play, especially for a guy who doesn't play forward at all.
You forgot the .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:20 AM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
Sproul was the OHL D-Man of February. 2nd time this season
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a..._140007/140007
Quote:
OHL Defenceman of the Month – Ryan Sproul (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds):
Ryan Sproul of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds claims Defenceman of the Month honours for the second time this season after leading all blueliners with 21 points in 11 games including five goals and 16 assists. He contributed points in nine of his 11 games played including six multi-point performances. He opened the month of February in style notching his first career five-point game with two goals and three assists claiming first star honours in the 6-5 victory over the Plymouth Whalers.
Sproul, a 20-year-old from Mississauga, ON, is playing in his third career season with the Greyhounds. Selected by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round of the 2011 NHL Draft, Sproul currently leads all OHL defencemen in scoring with 64 points including 19 goals and 45 assists despite playing in just 45 games so far this season.

WesNichols14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
InjuredChoker

Yeah... but he's pointless the last two games and combined -3. I think he's done.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
DuklaNation

Saw a game on Shaw the other day. Sproul plays a big time rover style. Will NOT work in the pros. Not sure if he just does that because he can get away with it in the OHL or is that the way he always plays. if the latter, expect a long transition period. Offensively, he looks well-rounded, but not spectacular. Need to see him play more.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
Saw a game on Shaw the other day. Sproul plays a big time rover style. Will NOT work in the pros. Not sure if he just does that because he can get away with it in the OHL or is that the way he always plays. if the latter, expect a long transition period. Offensively, he looks well-rounded, but not spectacular. Need to see him play more.
His size should be a good thing but he doesn't really make use of it. He's not that strong on his stick which means he often gets his pocket picked. In the Kitchener-Soo game this weekend he gave up three shorthanded chances, all to fast players who just knocked the puck off his stick and took it down the ice. Murray (His goalie) bailed him out a lot.

The Soo play an insane run and gun style, so its possible thats just the product of the system he plays in but right now he's not defensively responsible. This seems to be the big distinction of top defensive prospects and the ones that are a tier below. Its why people can overhype a player based on their production in junior.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Did you also watch Colin Miller ? It would not surprise me if he would be the one to have a steller NHL career. What do you think ?

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
One interesting thing is that the Wings organization is really, really high on him, and yet they require their d-men to be very much responsible. I think it's clear that they think his d-game isn't quite as bad as it's looking in SSM.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
WesNichols14

OHL Western Conference Coaches Poll came out today and Sproul was the player who was brought up in the most categories.

Quote:
Best Skater
Cameron Brace, Owen Sound Attack (27)
Ryan Sproul, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (17)
Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (15)
Quote:
Best Shot
Reid Boucher, Sarnia Sting (37)
Seth Griffith, London Knights tied Ryan Sproul, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (16) – Sproul finished tied for second in voting in 2011-12
Quote:
Hardest Shot
Ryan Sproul, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (41) – finished first in voting in 2011-12
Alex Basso, Sarnia Sting (12)
Cody Ceci, Owen Sound Attack (11) – finished first in East voting in 2011-12
Quote:
Best Offensive Defenceman
Ryan Sproul, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (39) – finished second in voting in 2011-12
Cody Ceci, Owen Sound Attack (17) – finished second in East voting in 2011-12
Anthony DeAngelo, Sarnia Sting (12)
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...e-coaches-poll

Old
03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Did you also watch Colin Miller ? It would not surprise me if he would be the one to have a steller NHL career. What do you think ?
Hnm... A kings prospect will be better than another teams prospect... interesting.

This Miller is an overager and still has less points in less games than Sproul, while not being anywhere near as big...

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Hnm... A kings prospect will be better than another teams prospect... interesting.

This Miller is an overager and still has less points in less games than Sproul, while not being anywhere near as big...
I asked a question. No need to get excited.

Old
03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
newfy

I find it funny that all we hear about is Murphys skating being absolutely elite while Sprouls is just solid for a big guy leading up to the world juniors and yet the coaches voted him the second best skater in the conference over Ryan Murphy.

I wonder whose opinion I'll trust....

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:13 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I find it funny that all we hear about is Murphys skating being absolutely elite while Sprouls is just solid for a big guy leading up to the world juniors and yet the coaches voted him the second best skater in the conference over Ryan Murphy.

I wonder whose opinion I'll trust....

Not good enough for the WJC with HC because of his defensive liabilites.
I wonder what changes will take place with the brass for next year.??

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I asked a question. No need to get excited.
I don't think it was mean certainly Miller had a good year, but tough to put him near his other two teammates on the backend in Sproul and Nurse. The upside just isn't similar. Doesn't mean Miller cannot be a solid player, but he doesn't have the wattage even with the fine season of his more celebrated teammates.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I don't think it was mean certainly Miller had a good year, but tough to put him near his other two teammates on the backend in Sproul and Nurse. The upside just isn't similar. Doesn't mean Miller cannot be a solid player, but he doesn't have the wattage even with the fine season of his more celebrated teammates.
Well thanks.

Like coaches are saying as well, I think he is pretty underrated though. Overager is true in theory he's just 2 months older than for instance Sproul, you know what I mean. There are other arguments, rightfully, than age.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:45 PM
WesNichols14

Sproul was number 1 in this HF article for best drafted OHL Defenseman
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ohl-defensemen

Quote:
The 6’4” defender often makes a big impression on the ice for the Soo Greyhounds, and this year — despite an injury-delayed start to the season — he cast a big shadow on the rest of the league.

Sproul led the OHL in defensive scoring and was one of only two blueliners, along with teammate Miller, to reach 20 goals in the season. With 66 points in 50 games played, Sproul’s play turned heads throughout the league this season.

In the annual coaches poll, Sproul took home the titles for Hardest Shot and Best Offensive Defenseman. He also was the runner up in the Best Skater and Best Shot categories. In addition, he earned OHL Defenseman of the Month honors in both December and February of this season.

Sproul has shown an incredible ability to recover from seemingly devastating injuries. Last year, he returned to the lineup just seven games after suffering a broken jaw while this year, he began the early part of the season with a broken arm, causing him to miss the better part of two months and 16 regular season games.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:29 AM
InjuredChoker

Sproul with another typical night for him.

3 assists.

And -2 rating.

Old
04-03-2013, 10:43 AM
newfy

Heading to GR. Will be interesting to see him against AHL competition

Old
04-18-2013, 11:21 AM
WesNichols14

Sproul was named Max Kaminsky Trophy winner - OHL Defenceman of Year.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...of-year/142795

Old
04-18-2013, 11:27 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesNichols14 View Post
Sproul was named Max Kaminsky Trophy winner - OHL Defenceman of Year.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...of-year/142795
Nice, solid list of nominees to beat out as well.

I wonder if he'll get the CHL award as well. That level of offensive dominance hasnt been seen for a while

Old
04-18-2013, 06:43 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

I will admit I was a little surprised he won I thought he would have finished 2nd to Harrington, but very happy for Sproul and good for the Red Wings, yet another great prospect.

Ironically the defenseman of the year just needs to get better.. defensively. But there's not many NHLers let alone junior players that can tee it up and blast the puck as hard as he can. A great offensive threat.

We actually ranked Sproul 28th and our director of scouting knows him well, he coached him. I saw one of Ryan's first OHL games, Mark told me to keep an eye on him and I did.. he played three shifts all game. That was early in his NHL Draft Year. He spent many games being able to count his shifts on one hand. His window to succeed wasn't really that big, but when it finally came he took advantage of it and became the prospect we see today.

I'd like to see what he can do after a year in the AHL. He needs to be more aggressive along the wall and improve defensively. There may not be a better organization than Detroit to teach him how to play both ways and how quickly the defensive end picks up will determine how soon he makes the NHL. He's not going to have to be great, just not a liability at the NHL level.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote