HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part VI: Lacking Wingers, "We Lay Waste Our Powers"

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 08:49 PM
zero8771

vCash: 500
While I agree that I would love a big improvement to our top 6. (iginla, perry, stewart)

I'd nearly be as happy rolling with our current top 6 + a Kopecky on the 3rd line and 2 Rupp/Roberts/Ruutu/Talbot type players. We need the size and a bigger bottom 6 that can actually score (well Kopecky can). Part of the problem with our current top 6 is there is 0 scoring in the bottom 6. Add some goals in that part of the lineup and I think we produce plenty of offense and are much harder to play against

Old
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
We need Kennedy's Kennedy .
what a glorious waste of cloning technology.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
We need Kennedy's Kennedy .
Matt D'Agostini?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Fire Shero*

I had a dream that we traded Bortuzzo and a 2nd round pick for Teddy Purcell.

Random. I don't dream of dudes very often, I swear.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

bringing this over from the Malkin thread, from CV:

Quote:
I know he meant Kuly, but considering what TOR gave to get Kessel, you're going to overpay to get him out of there IMO. I don't dislike Kessel as much as some people but I don't think he'd be a great fit to be honest. With what we'd have to pay we could probably get both Seto and Coyle from MN.

Now back to your regularly scheduled recooperating Russian Superstar.
Kessel takes so much unwarranted criticism.

I don't think he fixes the Penguins' problems - because I don't think their problems are personnel related - but he would put the Pens over-the-top if they could fix their structure and discipline issues.

edit: speaking of Kessel, this would make KIRK happy: leafs lose by 3, Colton Orr plays more ES time than Phil Kessel, Bozak, and JVR. More total time than Bozak. Only 45 seconds less total time than Kessel and JVR. (14:55 for those wondering. All ES)

Last edited by IcedCapp: 02-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
When are we going to kill the "Malkin's Kunitz" and "Sid's Neal" thing? It's an overly simplified perspective on who these various players are, and it sounds retarded too. Ryan would be Malkin / Sid's Ryan... the end.

And.... we wish.
Ryan really wouldn't fit either of those classifications anyway. Ryan can create offense on his own in a way that neither Neal or Kunitz can.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Exactly. He wanted out, cited personal reasons from what I can remember. So Shero did him a solid and sent him back to the yotes.
I have seen others mention this. I never saw anything definite about it? Like Shero or Michalek being on the record that he had asked to be traded?
All I saw was that Michalek stating to the Coyotes website that he was happy going back to Phoenix when he heard he had been traded (but also that it was a surprise), and then we've heard some chirpings about Michalek not feeling confident in Bylsma's defensive system.... which made me go 'oh...'.

Not saying it isn't like you guys say, but clearly Shero looks better here if he is 'granting a wish' rather than getting what he got for a D-man he made a real priority to sign just two years ago.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Not saying it isn't like you guys say, but clearly Shero looks better here if he is 'granting a wish' rather than getting what he got for a D-man he made a real priority to sign just two years ago.
i'd like to see more documentary evidence of Shero pulling a 'Good Samaritan act' as well. i'm willing to believe it, but i'd like to read it in print. the recent Gagné trade seems like an obvious parallel.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
When are we going to kill the "Malkin's Kunitz" and "Sid's Neal" thing? It's an overly simplified perspective on who these various players are, and it sounds retarded too. Ryan would be Malkin / Sid's Ryan... the end.

And.... we wish.
I only mentioned Neal as in, a young player that isn't scoring as of late and the team he's on has a need for young defensemen that are NHL ready.

I don't think you meant me with the Crosby's Neal thing, just wanted to clarify anyway.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Saints11

Just throwing this out there, like most of us do for discussion, because most don't know what the market value is, so here goes.....
Pittsburgh sends Bortuzzo, Pouliot, Kennedy, and a pick (2nd that becomes a 1st if we make it to the finals)
Calgary send Iginla and a 5th
Now, if Calgary doesn't want Kennedy, we then ship Kennedy and that 5th to Minny for PMB.

Food for thought.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Fire Shero*

I just hope Mario isn't getting cheap on us. His new house did cost $20 million. Coincidentally we are $14 million under the cap, 14 teams are outspending us, including the Lightning, Sabres, Capitals, Flames, Wild and Sharks.

Maybe Mario said after Shero couldn't land Parise, don't worry bud, we will be fine with the guys we have.

Just sayin....

Old
02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
I just hope Mario isn't getting cheap on us. His new house did cost $20 million. Coincidentally we are $14 million under the cap, 14 teams are outspending us, including the Lightning, Sabres, Capitals, Flames, Wild and Sharks.

Maybe Mario said after Shero couldn't land Parise, don't worry bud, we will be fine with the guys we have.

Just sayin....
proof that spending more money doesn't guarantee success (shown in bold)

they don't have to spend more money, they have to spend their money more wisely. they do have money to take on a significant contract, though, before the cap goes down next season.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
proof that spending more money doesn't guarantee success (shown in bold)

they don't have to spend more money, they have to spend their money more wisely. they do have money to take on a significant contract, though, before the cap goes down next season.
I'm jaded being a pirates fan. You can never quite trust the owners.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:

Just sayin....
That's pretty outlandish, especially given that Ron Burkle also owns the team, and he's not wanting for money.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Jacob

Quote:

Just sayin....
Billionaire Ron Burkle is the team's co-owner and probably has a larger stake than Lemieux, though I can't confirm that.

Were also 8 million under the cap, 14 million AAV.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:17 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
I'm jaded being a pirates fan. You can never quite trust the owners.
i can't blame you honestly. Burkle and Lemieux >>>>> Nutting and Coonelly

Old
02-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Shockmaster

Interesting read about Ryane Clowe and his role with the Sharks going forward. Keep in mind he is in the last year of his contract.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-upon-return/

Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
I have a suggestion.
These guys:

Jarome Iginla
Johnny Gaudreau

for

Beau Bennett
Derrick Pouliot
No F*ing chance. I don't think I would trade Bennett straight up for Iginla, and both Bennett and Pouliot are better prospects than Gaudreau.

If we wanted a winger instead of Pouliot, then we should have/could have drafted Forsberg or Terravainen instead of Pouliot. This doesnt't guarantee that Pouliot will be the best out of those 3, but we made that decision -- and I'm sure part of that was because it fit some type of "Plan", and that plan probably includes going very forward-heavy in the 2013 draft -- and we should stick to this plan.

Besides: we can probably just sign Iginla this summer without having to give up any assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
I haven't seen much of Stewart this season, but I wouldn't trade Despres for Stewart straight up. He's just too unique of a player.
I kind of agree with this. Despres is just looking too good right now and I wouldn't trade him unless it was with some ++'s for a clear upgrade (Bobby Ryan, a signed Perry, etc.). Stewart *might* be great, but then again, he might not. Despres is looking too much like a sure-thing to make that move right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
If you're going to trade Despres, you're going to have to bring in someone who brings his A game consistently(not stewart). And I doubt, as of right now, that Despres' value is enough to garner that kind of return,
I agree with both of your points. Despres is looking to good to trade for anything less than something awesome; and yet he might not have that kind of trade value, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
Etem? Seems like Anaheim could use some D.

Etem for Morrow? (flame away )
Sure, I'll flame. Etem is a nice prospect. He's kind of like Pascal Dupuis is right now (good PKer, great skater, can score some goals), but he's not an A-level prospect, and I think Morrow is a better prospect. Moreover, it doesn't fit our needs of having someone who can immediately step into our top-6 and perform consistently. So, no thanks; and the value isn't fair either. (And I like Etem. ANA would have to add a 2013 2nd rounder to get this closer to fair value, but Pens' may value Morrow too much to trade him for a B or C level prospect. It really depends on how much Pens' brass values each player, but a 2nd in 2013 may bridge the gap; or they prefer a guy like Rakell or Smith-Pelley + 2013 2nd instead).

Old
02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Interesting read about Ryane Clowe and his role with the Sharks going forward. Keep in mind he is in the last year of his contract.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-upon-return/
Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Clowe - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Could win with that

Old
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Just throwing this out there, like most of us do for discussion, because most don't know what the market value is, so here goes.....
Pittsburgh sends Bortuzzo, Pouliot, Kennedy, and a pick (2nd that becomes a 1st if we make it to the finals)
Calgary send Iginla and a 5th
Now, if Calgary doesn't want Kennedy, we then ship Kennedy and that 5th to Minny for PMB.

Food for thought.
No, come on, I've seen numerous proposals even by Penguins fans for Iginla that include top prospects and picks. Does that sound like a trade Shero would do? Why trade Pouliot now when in 5 years (when Iginla is 40 and Pouliot is 23) Pouliot might have more value. It doesn't make sense to overpay for Iginla, he's a veteran in his mid 30's, he's not worth guys like Pouliot, Maatta or 1st and 2nd round picks, I'm not saying they wouldn't get that return, but seriously, it would be a dumb trade. How stupid would Shero look if he traded that or any other overpayment proposal, just to see the team lose again, and Pouliot/Maatta and that 1st become solid NHL players. It makes Shero look stupid and the same people who want us to overpay for Iginla would be the same ones calling for Ray Shero's job.

I don't know, if we're packaging a guy we picked with a top 10 pick, a decent defenseman, a roster player and a 1st or 2nd round pick, we better be getting a player that's younger and on the Penguins long term, not Jarome Iginla

Old
02-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Saints11

Most people on this site have an inflated opinion of Despres, as do I. However, it may not be the opinion shared by the Penguin brass. If it was, he would not be a healthy scratch so much or he would be the highest rated D prospect instead of Morrow. Although I value Despres, if they feel both Morrow and Dumoulin are ready for next year; then Despres could be moved to help get the right top 6er.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:03 PM
thecore

Clowe is exactly what this team needs. Something like Kennedy plus a 3rd might get it done if Clowe isn't in their plans moving forward.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Saints11

Pretty much as stupid as he would have looked if Esposito and that #1 would have panned out along with the former #1 pick and another forward.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:05 PM
thecore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
No, come on, I've seen numerous proposals even by Penguins fans for Iginla that include top prospects and picks. Does that sound like a trade Shero would do? Why trade Pouliot now when in 5 years (when Iginla is 40 and Pouliot is 23) Pouliot might have more value. It doesn't make sense to overpay for Iginla, he's a veteran in his mid 30's, he's not worth guys like Pouliot, Maatta or 1st and 2nd round picks, I'm not saying they wouldn't get that return, but seriously, it would be a dumb trade. How stupid would Shero look if he traded that or any other overpayment proposal, just to see the team lose again, and Pouliot/Maatta and that 1st become solid NHL players. It makes Shero look stupid and the same people who want us to overpay for Iginla would be the same ones calling for Ray Shero's job.

I don't know, if we're packaging a guy we picked with a top 10 pick, a decent defenseman, a roster player and a 1st or 2nd round pick, we better be getting a player that's younger and on the Penguins long term, not Jarome Iginla
Right, you are hinting at what we got for Jordan Staal, who has much hight value than Iginla at this point in their respective careers

Old
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Pretty much as stupid as he would have looked if Esposito and that #1 would have panned out along with the former #1 pick and another forward.
But the thing is, we traded two below average roster players, a 2008 1st and a prospect we picked with our 2007 1st for a 29 year old Marian Hossa and a 28 year old Pascal Dupuis. And our 2007 1st was a 20th overall pick. Pouliot was a top 10 pick.

So we traded Armstrong and Christensen (who weren't spectacular), a prospect that was picked 20th overall, and a 1st, which ended up being 29th overall for a 29 year old Marian Hossa and a 28 year old Pascal Dupuis.

Now we are supposed to trade Tyler Kennedy (IMO better than Christensen and Armstrong), a PMD prospect we picked 8th overall, and a 1st or 2nd round pick in a draft that's first 2 rounds are deep with forward talent while the Penguins lack 1st and 2nd round forward talent in their prospect pool, for a 35 year old Jarome Iginla.

Makes absolutely zero sense to me. Just my opinion.

Closed Thread