HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Hot Sauce

View Poll Results: Hot Sauce
Yes 169 82.84%
No 35 17.16%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2013, 04:54 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
this site looks pretty cool...I like how they do video reviews for some of the hot sauces...Gives you a more "real" idea of what the hot sauce is like, imo.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Top-50-Most-...uces-s/226.htm

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Henrik Maneuver

vCash: 500
I'm on a tiny Caribbean island of 1500 people. They basically have 1 or 2 brands of every item at the stores, but 10 types of hot sauce, and scotch bonnet is one of them...def getting that one next time

Henrik Maneuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234

Not too spicy realllly good flavor..

Tried making some sauce myself a couple months ago and failed miserably which is impressive because it's so simple to make. Went to some shop in San Diego few years back lets you sample their hottest sauces which was a mistake it felt like god put a cigar out on my tongue.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

After a few weeks of trying Frank's Hot Sauce and obsessively putting it on everything, I went to the next level today. I finally got the plastic bottle of sriracha.

I put it on the pasta here and it's nice

Not as hot as I had feared and tastes nice

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
After a few weeks of trying Frank's Hot Sauce and obsessively putting it on everything, I went to the next level today. I finally got the plastic bottle of sriracha.

I put it on the pasta here and it's nice

Not as hot as I had feared and tastes nice
I have to try it.. You order it online or is it available in most super markets?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I have to try it.. You order it online or is it available in most super markets?
I can get it at just about any grocery story in my area. Not sure about New York.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
I can get it at just about any grocery story in my area. Not sure about New York.
Ok cool I shall look next time

Old
03-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Kestrel

Recently I picked up a Portuguese hot sauce, molho de piri piri. I haven't tried it on too much yet, but so far I like it. I don't think this is the brand I got, but it's quite similar in appearance:

Piri piri has a little write up in Wikipedia too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_piri

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:00 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

If you have the balls.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Posters in this thread should educate themselves about the scoville scale.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Posters in this thread should educate themselves about the scoville scale.
I don't know about the posters in the thread, because I haven't followed it too closely - but in general I would agree.

I remember a girl I worked with insisting that a sauce she tried at her friend's place was hotter than one that I had brought to work previously. I can't remember what it was she tried, but it came in at about 250 000 scovilles. Definitely plenty hot - but the one I brought in that supposedly wasn't as hot was this:

I think the difference is, I had people try mine with the tip of a toothpick while she would have tried a couple of drops of the other on food.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:48 AM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
1 million scovilles?

That ain't nothin'. I once threw up after biting the tip off of a Jalapeno.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:51 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH View Post
1 million scovilles?

That ain't nothin'. I once threw up after biting the tip off of a Jalapeno.
Jalapeno peppers range from 3,500 to 8,000 scoville units.

Pure capsaicin (the substance that makes chili peppers spicy, but not the only piquant substance), in contrast, is roughly 16 million scoville units.

The most piquant known substance is resiniferatoxin at approximately 16 billion.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Kestrel

Quote:

Pure capsaicin (the substance that makes chili peppers spicy, but not the only piquant substance), in contrast, is roughly 16 million scoville units.

The most piquant known substance is resiniferatoxin at approximately 16 billion.
I just looked up the piri piri peppers that I mentioned earlier - I have no idea what my piri piri sauce comes in at, but the peppers come in at 175,000 scovilles... they won't win any extreme heat competitions, but that still ain't too shabby.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I just looked up the piri piri peppers that I mentioned earlier - I have no idea what my piri piri sauce comes in at, but the peppers come in at 175,000 scovilles... they won't win any extreme heat competitions, but that still ain't too shabby.
It's decently high. Stuff like the bhut jolokia and Naga Viper (and other peppers that are in the 1 million or higher range) will get used so sparingly that it's almost pointless for them to be that hot. This company out there makes some stuff called Blair's Ultra Death and it's so hot they have to print warnings on the side, such as:

BE WARNED: This sauce contains ingredients 900 times hotter than a jalapeño chili. Use sparingly. Not recommended for use without dilution.

DISCLAIMER: This product contains the hottest known ingredients on the planet. Please use with extreme caution.

I'm kind of a pepperhead myself and just a tiny bit of that stuff in a pot of chili (along with some run of the mill jalapeno puree) made it spicy to the limits of my comfort range.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
BE WARNED: This sauce contains ingredients 900 times hotter than a jalapeño chili. Use sparingly. Not recommended for use without dilution.

DISCLAIMER: This product contains the hottest known ingredients on the planet. Please use with extreme caution.
Is that the 1.1 million scoville stuff? If so, I've never had it, but obviously, most people won't differentiate well between that and my 1 million scoville additive for heat. I've misplaced mine, but I used to use it for making chip dips. I let a friend use it when she was ticked off with a guy she let stay at her place because he got booted from his - and then never moved out. She ruined a pretty good sized pot of chili - I wish I was there to see when he tried it.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Kestrel

Not sure if I posted the story before or not, but one of my buddies actually downed a half cereal spoonful of my million scoville sauce. The heat doesn't come on immediately, so he got through telling me and my buddies that we were a bunch of *******... then he pauses, and says "oh my" - before grabbing a gallon of milk and running to the bathroom.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Bowie
Rusholme Ruffians

vCash: 2233
Hot sauce is good but my go to ingredient for heat is crushed pepper flakes.

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Sriracha. That's all.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Suipermarkte

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Quote:

16 billion sounds like something that would melt any receptacle you put it in.

“It’s embarrassing. I’m embarrassed to be here right now. It’s not even funny. And it’s just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. It’s not how you’re going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
16 billion sounds like something that would melt any receptacle you put it in.
Capsaicin (and its derived substances) is a hydrophobic waxy compound. Only an irritant for mammals.

It's theorized that it's an evolutionary strategy, since mammals would crush the seeds when they ate, but birds swallow them whole. Birds are unaffected by the capsaicin.

Same thing with bugs and caffeine, granted we use caffeine as an intentional stimulant being human, but if a little fly eats a coffee bean for example, that caffeine content is going to be toxic to it.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Vip
Das it mane

vCash: 50
Didn't realize how much science goes into the hotness of something

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
It's decently high. Stuff like the bhut jolokia and Naga Viper (and other peppers that are in the 1 million or higher range) will get used so sparingly that it's almost pointless for them to be that hot. This company out there makes some stuff called Blair's Ultra Death and it's so hot they have to print warnings on the side, such as:

I'm kind of a pepperhead myself and just a tiny bit of that stuff in a pot of chili (along with some run of the mill jalapeno puree) made it spicy to the limits of my comfort range.
Ever tried Blair's Death Rain habanero flavour chips? I can only make it through a quarter of the bag before I start to die. And I'm of Pakistani descent so my spice tolerance is relatively high too. Had to eat tons of yogurt after to get my mouth back to normal.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Ever tried Blair's Death Rain habanero flavour chips? I can only make it through a quarter of the bag before I start to die. And I'm of Pakistani descent so my spice tolerance is relatively high too. Had to eat tons of yogurt after to get my mouth back to normal.
Never tried them. I want to, though.

I'm of Chinese decent, a quarter of the way at least. Not sure what that says about my spicy food tolerance, though I love things that are spicy.