HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carlyle is stubborn as Burke

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
fahad203

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
What you have to understand is that philosophically, Carlyle does not want to play a LH defender on the right side. You can't argue with facts. Look how much stronger Phanuef looks on the left side.

That means, Komisarek is competing against Holzer, Kostka and Franson.

Liles is competing against Gunnarsson, Phanuef and Fraser.

Komisarek is too slow. Even though Holzer has had a couple of bad games (today in particular), he's much faster than Komisarek, owns much better hands, and brings the same grit and toughness.

Furthermore, Komisarek is going to be bought-out at the end of the year. What's the use in playing/developing him? It makes more sense to integrate Holzer in the team.

As for Liles, well, Gunnarsson is much better.

That's why this team needs to trade for a good RH defender to play big minutes and bump Holzer a bit down in the line-up

As for Orr playing with Kadri - yes that is a stupid decision. But every coach makes stupid decisions...including the best coaches. We just have to live with it until Frattin/Lupul are ready to return.
You do make some excellent suggestions and points. My argument to that is, if you are going to buy out Komi, then buy him out now like Habs and Rangers did. Or send him home. He's practicing with the team, therefore, he can still get injured.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Predaleafs

ive never understood the reasoning behind having all 3 of brown/orr/mclaren in the lineup at once. i thought the best lineup would be

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo-Komorov
Mac-Kadri-Mclement
Orr-Steckel-Mclaren

Old
02-27-2013, 09:55 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Unfortunately every single coach it seems is stubborn when it comes to playing certain guys over others.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:55 PM
KPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
ive never understood the reasoning behind having all 3 of brown/orr/mclaren in the lineup at once. i thought the best lineup would be

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabo-Komorov
Mac-Kadri-Mclement
Orr-Steckel-Mclaren
Steckel is beyond useless.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
daveleaf

To be honest I think the Leafs got jobbed by the stripped shirts tonight. It was a 2-2 game but these linesmen really have to go. Cherry has been saying this for years but no one listens-they are affecting the outcomes of games.

So we have a couple of bad games, would you guys like to go back to last year and Wilson? We are three games over five hundred and haven't had our best goalie for a while, missing a top forward and our best forward that crashes the net.

I am happy where we are I am just scratching my head why Gardiner is not in there.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
ForSpareParts*

Liles and Komi suck.

that's why they are not playing.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
You do make some excellent suggestions and points. My argument to that is, if you are going to buy out Komi, then buy him out now like Habs and Rangers did. Or send him home. He's practicing with the team, therefore, he can still get injured.
I'm not sure if they still have that option or if that window was open for a few days for the Habs/Rangers to take care of Gomez and Redden.

It made sense not to buy him out at the time since I doubt they thought Fraser and Kostka would be able to stick with the team.

I guess they figure its better for him to be around in case of injury. He is the only other RH defender around.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Hilarious.

Yesterday he was best coach ever, today he is stubborn.

Never fails on hfboards.
You make it sound like everyone who posts on this board is the same person. If you can find a thread started by OP from yesterday claiming Carlyle is best coach evar, then call him out for this thread. Seeing negative threads after bad games and positive threads after good games is normal, nothing hilarious about it.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Komi isn't playing because we don't want him injured so we can buy him out
haha

Old
02-27-2013, 10:36 PM
TML23

Fire Carlyle and bring in Eakins?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
TML23

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClements New A View Post
Liles and Komi suck.

that's why they are not playing.
I actually disagree. I still believe that Liles can be a better defenseman than Costco or Holzer. Liles can actually skate and move up the puck without turning it over.

Am I saying that Liles has been playing great with us this year? No. However, I still think he deserves another chance to be on the Leafs lineup and play some games

Old
02-27-2013, 10:49 PM
number72

I have reservations about Carlyle but I still have to give him the benefit of doubt. Sure Orr played almost 15 minutes but he didn't cost the leafs the game. JVR Kessel Bozak and Phaneuf and Holzer were the most guilty parties tonight.

These players did not execute offensively or defensively and played terribly. All this Orr talk and blaming Carlyle is distraction from dealing with the real problem tonight

Old
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Quote:
Actually if you cared for that then you do send him. That way he can do what Gomez and Redden did, sign with another team. If your a class organization isn't that what you would do?

Why take a space?

we both know that's not the reason. He's not getting bought out any time soon. Carly just doesn't have confidence in him.
You can't buy him out now therefore its nothing like Gomez and Redden. The Gomez situation shows why you can't just send him home, the union will file grievance. You can't send him down and why would you call up an AHLer to sit in the pressbox?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
If you don't like the approach or the thread. Your more than welcome not to contribute. But thanks for stopping by and making that smart comment.
Anytime I can help....

Old
02-27-2013, 11:32 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
You make it sound like everyone who posts on this board is the same person. If you can find a thread started by OP from yesterday claiming Carlyle is best coach evar, then call him out for this thread. Seeing negative threads after bad games and positive threads after good games is normal, nothing hilarious about it.
So basically he was right?

He simply pointed out what many here are noticing. These boards are so predictable it's actually quite funny.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Man Bear Pig

Komi blows thats why he isn't playing, not some vendetta. Come on now. Liles hasn't been the same since his concussion. The only bizarre thing I've seen is Orr with guys like Kadri. I understand Orr's role and he may have a place on this team but its certainly not with skilled guys. He belongs on the fourth line. Kadri needs guys like JVR,Kessel, basically anyone but Orr to play with. Carlyle likes toughness, as do I, but at this point it's becoming overkill. Orr,Brown and McLaren should be playing sheltered minutes, not against top units. This isn't about tonights game, this is true when playing against any team.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Basically summarizing the "problems" with Carlyle's lineup, as per this thread:

1) Steckel isn't playing (really?)
2) Komisarek isn't playing (again...really?)
3) Liles isn't playing (again...really?)

Fraser McClaren has done more for this team in like 10 games than Steckel has done his entire time here.

And last time I checked, our team minus Komisarek and Liles has given us the best defence we've seen in some time here in Toronto...making career backup goaltenders look like Johnny Bower.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Basically summarizing the "problems" with Carlyle's lineup, as per this thread:

1) Steckel isn't playing (really?)
2) Komisarek isn't playing (again...really?)
3) Liles isn't playing (again...really?)

Fraser McClaren has done more for this team in like 10 games than Steckel has done his entire time here.

And last time I checked, our team minus Komisarek and Liles has given us the best defence we've seen in some time here in Toronto...making career backup goaltenders look like Johnny Bower.
If Orr didn't play 15 minutes, steckel was in the line up etc then kessel would have been +4 instead of -4 and Phaneuf would be +3 instead of -3.

Most people on here don't even have a clue why the leafs lost

Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Bomber0104
One of These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
If Orr didn't play 15 minutes, steckel was in the line up etc then kessel would have been +4 instead of -4 and Phaneuf would be +3 instead of -3.

lol funny post.

4th line is a plus line chipping in some offence with a goal.

Orr is a plus on his line with Kadri and that line scored a goal.

But these players are definitely hurting us.

Need more Steckel obviously.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Oooh a Burke thread Goody.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:16 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post

How can Kessel be + 4 and Phaneuf be + 3 when Toronto only scored 2 goals?

Old
02-28-2013, 01:23 AM
PhiladelphiaKessel
DontCrossthe****Line

I tend to agree . Kostka and holzer look horrible game after game and yet liles and komisarek don't get into the lineup. If franson made one mistake he would get scratched . Carlyle has ridiculous attachments to certain players

Old
02-28-2013, 02:24 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

I don't like Orr with Kadri at all.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Jeebs

I'm not a fan of Orr with Kadri, and he won't be as soon as Frattin is back. But last nights loss had nothing to do with Orr.

JVR/Bozak/Kessel were ----ing horrible last night. I'm getting sick and tired of watching Kessel do a lazy backhand chop to clear the puck out of their zone then going for a leisure skate back to his position after the turnover.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:29 AM
DaveT83*

Top Line + Phaneuf were collectlively a -15!

Orr is too blame!

Closed Thread