HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
02-27-2013, 02:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Haha i realized after i thought you were referring to Jayden Schwartz
Its all good, I figured. They do have very similar names.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Cromster

I hear folks saying we are in cap trouble, but i don't understand what is preventing us, in time of need, of LTIRing Pronger for cap relief. I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious and will smack myself later, but seriously, i got nothing.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I'm sure when its needed Pronger will be put on LTIR to free up cap space.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Capslock17

We'll take him.

And you can have Leino.

Then all will be right with the universe

Capslock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Moving briere makes so much sense it hurts...
Amen!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock17 View Post
We'll take him.

And you can have Leino.

That's crazy, Leino owes at least half of that contract to Briere. If you guys got Briere from the Flyers the last person you would want to deal is Leino.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capslock17 View Post
We'll take him.

And you can have Leino.

That would be the opposite of what is good.

02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Plus, we arent in a bad position with the cap next year either, so buying out Briere isn't a necessity.

We'll have about $5m in cap space with no key players needed to be re-signed to big contracts. Plus an extra $5m from Pronger's LTIR if needed
I do not know what team you are looking at but we have some key signings coming up after next season and a 6.5 hit for a player like Danny will have a impact. Take a look at CapGeek. I know Danny has his rights and I am fine with that. But I think there will be a good chance he will be brought out if he is still with the club.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I do not know what team you are looking at but we have some key signings coming up after next season and a 6.5 hit for a player like Danny will have a impact. Take a look at CapGeek. I know Danny has his rights and I am fine with that. But I think there will be a good chance he will be brought out if he is still with the club.
I meant it wasn't a necessity for next season

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:11 PM
sundaysetsashes

signing Giroux isnt a necessity?

sundaysetsashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaysetsashes View Post
signing Giroux isnt a necessity?
Isn't he signed for next year? We don't have cap problems next year...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
I hear folks saying we are in cap trouble, but i don't understand what is preventing us, in time of need, of LTIRing Pronger for cap relief. I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious and will smack myself later, but seriously, i got nothing.
You cannot use LTIR for cap relief until you hit the cap ceiling. If your cap number isn't over that, you don't put anyone on LTIR. As in Gangs case, we would have exceeded the cap ceiling by a few mil, so we LTIRed Shelley to allow us to exceed the cap by the amount of Shelly's contract.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz
I'm sure when its needed Pronger will be put on LTIR to free up cap space.
It needs to be pointed out that LTIR doesn't clear up space per se; it extends allowable room for a replacement player. Splitting hairs a bit.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
MsWoof

On TSN's ticker it said something to the effect of Briere being the subject of trade rumours and that he has no intention of waiving his NMC.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Hopefully Briere sees the benefit of being traded instead of bought out.
what benefit is ther to briere for
Briere to be traded? A buyout for him is better in all cases.

Last edited by achdumeingute: 02-27-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
On TSN's ticker it said something to the effect of Briere being the subject of trade rumours and that he has no intention of waiving his NMC.
His news feed on Fantrax Fantasy Stuff says the same thing. Specifically, it says this:

"Trade rumors have been surrounding Daniel Briere of late, but he made it clear on Tuesday that he doesn't want to leave Philadelphia. "I don't want to comment on anything at this point," he said. "Trades are not my department. I've been a Flyer for a long time. My heart belongs in Philadelphia with the Flyers. I can't see myself playing anywhere else." Briere has a full no-movement clause, so he would have to consent to any move anyway. St. Louis and Boston are rumored to be interested in his services, but it isn't clear if the Flyers are looking or willing to deal him in the first place. Briere had his five-game point streak ended Monday night, but he has 11 points in 17 games this campaign."

Take that with like 50 grains of salt though. No author listed, no sources, etc.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think he gets moved. Nowhere does it say he would never waive his NTC in his contract. That was Frank Servalli or whatever just mincing words like our beat writer always do. He said exactly what you expect a player being asked about a trade to say.

We have a ton of scouts here watching him and maybe talbot+Feds. I think somewhere down the line he gets asked to waive it. Would be amazing if we turn him into something valuable.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think he gets moved. Nowhere does it say he would never waive his NTC in his contract. That was Frank Servalli or whatever just mincing words like our beat writer always do. He said exactly what you expect a player being asked about a trade to say.

We have a ton of scouts here watching him and maybe talbot+Feds. I think somewhere down the line he gets asked to waive it. Would be amazing if we turn him into something valuable.
what is the incentive for briere.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Viller

Quote:
We have a ton of scouts here watching him and maybe talbot+Feds.
says who?

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
what is the incentive for briere.
The same incentive every other player who has a NTC in his contract has when asked to waive it. He could go and be a 2nd line center for a team like St Louis and enjoy more ice time while being on a very good young team. He has started to fall out of favor here in Philly because of contract and play as of late. We need to make room to sign our RFA's soon and his contract will hurt us. Instead of forcing the team to buy his contract out, he could help the team and accept a trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
says who?
There was a ton of scouts here tonight. Where there is smoke there is fire. Briere is starting to pop up more and more in rumors. Feds also was put out there with Boston. Teams will look for his leadership and playoff abilities if we do fall out of contention.

Quote:
Scouts from the Wild, Flames, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Jets, Blackhawks, Oilers, Stars, Canadiens, Red Wings and Lighting are here in Philly.
6:57pm - 27 Feb 13

Old
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Mgkibbles

I don't know how active pro scouts are around the league with the shortened season, but the Flyers being scouted seems like a nightly occurrence at this point. Something is up.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:00 PM
BernieParent

NHL Network just simulated a GM / player discussion (Button - Weekes) when a team wants to move a player with an NTC. They think there is a good chance that Briere is getting 'the talk'.

Quote:
Scouts from the Wild, Flames, Blue Jackets, Coyotes, Jets, Blackhawks, Oilers, Stars, Canadiens, Red Wings and Lighting are here in Philly.
6:57pm - 27 Feb 13
And you have to know other teams are serious if they sent the Lighting guys. Hopefully, they're not from the New Orleans Superdome.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
NHL Network just simulated a GM / player discussion (Button - Weekes) when a team wants to move a player with an NTC. They think there is a good chance that Briere is getting 'the talk'.

And you have to know other teams are serious if they sent the Lighting guys. Hopefully, they're not from the New Orleans Superdome.
I think with Briere his situation is different just because he and his wife split up. It has to work for both of them. She may not want to move again and who could blame her?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:37 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think with Briere his situation is different just because he and his wife split up. It has to work for both of them. She may not want to move again and who could blame her?
Briere played half a season in Germany. He was fully prepared to continue playing in Germany as long the NHL lockout was going on.

I don't think you can realistically use the "he and his wife are split up" thing as a defense for Briere not wanting to move anymore. If he would prefer to choose his destination in the future though, perhaps there could be a best of both worlds scenario where we trade him to a team like Boston looking for offense this year and there's a handshake agreement that BOS will amnesty him after the season so Briere can choose his long-term destination (perhaps even back here?).

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
The same incentive every other player who has a NTC in his contract has when asked to waive it. He could go and be a 2nd line center for a team like St Louis and enjoy more ice time while being on a very good young team. He has started to fall out of favor here in Philly because of contract and play as of late. We need to make room to sign our RFA's soon and his contract will hurt us. Instead of forcing the team to buy his contract out, he could help the team and accept a trade.
meh, its business...briere should say pay me my 5m (buyout) and then i get to choose whatever i want to do. He owes us no favors. Our cap issues are not his problem.

Last edited by achdumeingute: 02-27-2013 at 10:47 PM.