HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 09:13 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
You mean, like... Thomas Hickey?
Yep. Exactly.

Not all risky picks will pan out, that's why they are risky, but it's still worth the risk from time to time. That draft was a great time to take a risk too, much of the 1st round has been average at best since.

And yes, Alzner was a better pick...

There's still nothing wrong with taking a shot at the stars from time to time. Hopefully the Hickey pick didn't scare them off of that.

Speaking of which, he's been doing fairly decent in NYI. Not much in the way of points, but getting good reviews thus far from Islanders fans.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:13 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Gravel...
This.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Pretty weird to think that Gravel will maybe end up being a better pro than Forbort. Wouldn't surprise, I definitely wouldn't mind it either but I also hope Forbort pans out. Can they both just please pan out and become an amazing duo for us in 2022? #Projects

Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Fat Elvis

Speaking about DL's drafts and his later round finds, Nolan is the only 7th rounder in the league drafted since 09 to have played a NHL game.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:48 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Speaking about DL's drafts and his later round finds, Nolan is the only 7th rounder in the league drafted since 09 to have played a NHL game.
That's very impressive, wow

Old
02-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Going back to the Hickey pick, what really ticked me off then (and still kind of gets me upset now) is that Voracek is the player that was slotted to go at #4. Not sure if he was considered a safe pick, but at the time he was considered a high end prospect who is highly skilled.

I understand that the Kings at that time were in need of shoring up their blueline within the pipeline, but to reach that far at #4 to bypass the best player available really stung the team. Alzner was projected as the best defenseman in that first round, and I know why they passed on him as Alzner was viewed as a finished product back then, there wasn't much room for growth for him any more at that point, and he's proven to be a steady and reliable mid-pairing defenseman for the Caps.

Either way, things worked out for the Kings. Who knows what would have happened with Voracek on this roster. We may not have Carter as a result of the way things played out (since Voracek was the center piece in the trade between Columbus and Philly).

Old
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Going back to the Hickey pick, what really ticked me off then (and still kind of gets me upset now) is that Voracek is the player that was slotted to go at #4. Not sure if he was considered a safe pick, but at the time he was considered a high end prospect who is highly skilled.

I understand that the Kings at that time were in need of shoring up their blueline within the pipeline, but to reach that far at #4 to bypass the best player available really stung the team. Alzner was projected as the best defenseman in that first round, and I know why they passed on him as Alzner was viewed as a finished product back then, there wasn't much room for growth for him any more at that point, and he's proven to be a steady and reliable mid-pairing defenseman for the Caps.

Either way, things worked out for the Kings. Who knows what would have happened with Voracek on this roster. We may not have Carter as a result of the way things played out (since Voracek was the center piece in the trade between Columbus and Philly).

Good points. I don't recall who I wanted the Kings to grab at the draft, but I know it wasn't Alzner or Hickey. I know I was pulling for Turris to fall to us somehow, but I also knew that wouldn't happen as the top 3 was pretty much a set guarantee.

I think I was actually hoping we'd trade down. But of all the options that made sense, I agree with you, Voracek would have made the most sense IMO as well.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:

I always wondered if the GM is willing to release some of that info to the public as to who else they were thinking if the current prospect was taken.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Gravel...
I knew there was another big kid prospect but couldn't think of his name.

So, what is it about Gravel that you like over Forbort and Roach?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
I always wondered if the GM is willing to release some of that info to the public as to who else they were thinking if the current prospect was taken.
I wouldn't. That just opens you up to countless comments of "You should fire your whole staff for ranking Player X so low"... "What idiot would put Player Y ahead of Player V" ... etc. Not to mention I don't see what benefit it gives you to let past drafting philosophies and rankings fall into another teams hands.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
I knew there was another big kid prospect but couldn't think of his name.

So, what is it about Gravel that you like over Forbort and Roach?
I did a short write up on Gravel earlier on another thread. Anyways, essentially he's Rob Scuderi 2.0, just with a bit more offensive upside and I think a more physical presence (not that he'll be Matt Greene or anything, but just a more agressive style). The guy is just so hockey smart he gets the most out of what he has. Makes the smart play nearly all the time, steady and smart. Think Hickey with size and a bit more agressiveness.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I did a short write up on Gravel earlier on another thread. Anyways, essentially he's Rob Scuderi 2.0, just with a bit more offensive upside and I think a more physical presence (not that he'll be Matt Greene or anything, but just a more agressive style). The guy is just so hockey smart he gets the most out of what he has. Makes the smart play nearly all the time, steady and smart. Think Hickey with size and a bit more agressiveness.
I'd be curious to know what's your assessment on the other two prospects?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
I'd be curious to know what's your assessment on the other two prospects?
Forbort and Roach?

Roach I think will be a more skilled and mobile version of Andrew Campbell. The kid has some underrated offensive upside and is decently mobile given his size. His real appeal is his size, which he does need to use more. He's not a softie or anything, but he could use to lean on guys more. But that hopefully will come with time. How Roach adjusts to the pro level will be a huge sign on if he's a legit NHL prospect or just someone we took a chance on that didn't pan out. I'm leaning towards the former though.

With Forbort, I still like him, but I do worry he's headed towards between a tweener type of blueliner, someone who has good size, but doesn't use it enough (though he seems to have improved on that) and someone who has good skill, but never seems to fully put that skill together.

He should be a top four defenseman, but he'll need a few more years to develop. Unlike many other posters, I think he'd benefit from one more year at college, playing in all situations and being 'the man' so to speak. Gravel I think is ready to come out (though i don't think one more year will stunt him). He's pro ready. Maybe not NHL ready, but pro ready, and one year at Manchester would arguably be all he needs. Forbort I think would benefit from up to 3 more years (one in college, two in Manchester) but I see him getting a cup of coffee in 2014-2015 and being a regular the following year if he comes out of college and goes pro this year.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Forbort and Roach?

Roach I think will be a more skilled and mobile version of Andrew Campbell. The kid has some underrated offensive upside and is decently mobile given his size. His real appeal is his size, which he does need to use more. He's not a softie or anything, but he could use to lean on guys more. But that hopefully will come with time. How Roach adjusts to the pro level will be a huge sign on if he's a legit NHL prospect or just someone we took a chance on that didn't pan out. I'm leaning towards the former though.

With Forbort, I still like him, but I do worry he's headed towards between a tweener type of blueliner, someone who has good size, but doesn't use it enough (though he seems to have improved on that) and someone who has good skill, but never seems to fully put that skill together.

He should be a top four defenseman, but he'll need a few more years to develop. Unlike many other posters, I think he'd benefit from one more year at college, playing in all situations and being 'the man' so to speak. Gravel I think is ready to come out (though i don't think one more year will stunt him). He's pro ready. Maybe not NHL ready, but pro ready, and one year at Manchester would arguably be all he needs. Forbort I think would benefit from up to 3 more years (one in college, two in Manchester) but I see him getting a cup of coffee in 2014-2015 and being a regular the following year if he comes out of college and goes pro this year.
Interesting. Thanks.

So, in a year or two, we should see all three Gravel, Forbort and Roach in manchester, assuming they're still in kings organization. That's a lot of tall lumber.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks.

So, in a year or two, we should see all three Gravel, Forbort and Roach in manchester, assuming they're still in kings organization. That's a lot of tall lumber.
All three run out of college/junior eligibility in a year, so yes.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Manchester will also be gaining Colin Miller next season. He'll be turning 21 in October, don't think he'll be returning to the Greyhounds as an overager.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I think you can call Schenn a stud. Doughty was a sure-pick. It's not secret that Lombardi struggles with his first round pick and if you want to call someone a safe pick, look no further than Tanner Pearson.
Schenn has only been playing well for 6 games. Prior to the he was terrible dropping from the first line, to the third, to a scratch, to his coach putting him on blast. He was universally bashed by the Philly fanbase and media until just recently when Philly has averaged 4.6 goals in the last 6. Schenn has 75% of his points in that span.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
northernKing

I've seen Gravel play twice this season and he reminds me of Willie Mitchell. Solid reads at both ends of the ice and uses his stick very well in his own end. Always seemed to be blocking passing lanes with it

Old
02-27-2013, 06:15 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Manchester will also be gaining Colin Miller next season. He'll be turning 21 in October, don't think he'll be returning to the Greyhounds as an overager.
Miller has been having a breakout season for the Soo, although, for those who follow the team, I'd be interested to know how much of that you guys think is attributed to playing with Ryan Sproul...

Old
02-27-2013, 06:33 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Pretty much exactly this. He just seems to have a great understanding of the game and his role. So compact and subtle in his movements for a kid his age. He doesn't go for big plays but always seems to make smart plays and good reads. Reminds me of the poise Voinov had when he first came to NA and made the Monarchs. You knew he shouldn't be that calm on the ice but he was and it was a lot of fun watching him. I could easily see him being the replacement for Scuds in a few years, may not be right out of college but should be within a year or two of him leaving.

Oh Gravel was also one of the few players on an otherwise disasterous USA WJC team that stood out and had a decent tournament a few years ago.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
If Jensen leaves SCSU, I think Gravel gets the C next year for us. At the very least he will have an A. Big thing for Gravel is watch the play of his partner Tim Daly. He has been able to pick up his play for us because of how rock solid Gravel has been for us. He doesn't get the accolades he should but IMO, he's the best defensive defenseman in the WCHA and maybe in all of the NCAA.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
If Jensen leaves SCSU, I think Gravel gets the C next year for us. At the very least he will have an A. Big thing for Gravel is watch the play of his partner Tim Daly. He has been able to pick up his play for us because of how rock solid Gravel has been for us. He doesn't get the accolades he should but IMO, he's the best defensive defenseman in the WCHA and maybe in all of the NCAA.
That's great to hear and keep the feedbacks coming. We can't get enough feedbacks on our prospects.

Thanks

Old
02-28-2013, 02:21 AM
bland

Quote:
I think they've taken some chances in the mid-later rounds on players like that with Loktionov, Kitsyn, Prokhorkin. How many superstars have been drafted out of the first round the past couple of years? It rarely happens.

But I think I get what you're saying in that it isn't often the Kings go for a purely skilled player.
Hyka fits that bill.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:12 AM
Lead Role in a Cage

With regards to Roach, here's an article with some comments about his development this season. It's about a month old so apologies if it's been posted already.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...762/story.html

Old
02-28-2013, 05:16 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoForRoughing View Post
Miller has been having a breakout season for the Soo, although, for those who follow the team, I'd be interested to know how much of that you guys think is attributed to playing with Ryan Sproul...
Actually he was putting up a lot of points without Sproul. When Sproul returned from injury, Miller was having a small slump (statswise) because ice-time had to be shared now.

He is not paired with Sproul but with Nurse but plays on the 1st PP unit with Sproul.

He's one/two years older than most other top OHL defensemen though but his offensive output is kinda surprising.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 02-28-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Closed Thread