HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Realignment Proposal for 2013-2014

Old
02-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
But it really is 4 separate conferences. There would be no link between Conference I and II. You play every team 2 times, and then the rest of your games are in the conference only from what I heard.
then, there's no need for the term "conference" at all ..... make it easier, because the NHL has a LONG history of what the term "conference" means:

just make it 4 unrelated DIVISIONS

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:14 PM
MrHockey1982

I've always wondered why Milwaukee doesn't have a team. Cold weather climate with rivals in Minnesota, Chicago, and St. Louis. I suppose they might not have the fan base to support 4 professional teams?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
MountainHawk

Meh, there was times where 'conference' was just for determining the third round matchup, and times where it determined all of the playoff seedings, and times where it didn't matter at all. It's just a word that has no tradition behind it.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/1...se-nhl-history

Nope, it's actually gotten worse. I think Phoenix is gone after this season.
I stand corrected, I had no idea that fell through.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Quote:
I've always wondered why Milwaukee doesn't have a team. Cold weather climate with rivals in Minnesota, Chicago, and St. Louis. I suppose they might not have the fan base to support 4 professional teams?
Considering the Bucks still exist and the Brewers have decent crowds from what I've seen. And the Packers aren't that far from Milwaukee. I think it's possible actually for Milwaukee to be a city that has four teams from the four major sports leagues in the US.

chinatown81592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
JayB

I would move Blackhawks to Conference 2 and then move Tampa and Florida to Conference 3.

If we get new teams like Seattle and Quebec i would vote this:

Conference 1 (us): Philadelphia, Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Conference 2: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Chicago, Quebec.

Conference 3: Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg, TampaBay, Florida.

Conference 4: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Seattle.

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:33 PM
MrHockey1982

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416887

Update. 2 conferences and 2 divisions in each conference.

Quote:
The National Hockey League's new realignment plan, being worked on with the NHL Players' Association, includes four divisions in two conferences with wild-card spots for the playoffs.

The plan was laid out in a league memo that was sent to all 30 teams on Tuesday and obtained by TSN.

Instead of going to four conferences as was the original plan in December 2011, the new plan calls for two conferences containing two divisions each.

Western Conference Eastern Conference
Pacific Mid-West Central Atlantic
Anaheim Chicago Boston Carolina
Calgary Colorado Buffalo Columbus
Edmonton Dallas Detroit New Jersey
Los Angeles Minnesota Florida NY Islanders
Phoenix Nashville Montreal NY Rangers
San Jose St. Louis Ottawa Philadelphia
Vancouver Winnipeg Tampa Bay Pittsburgh
- - Toronto Washington

The playoff format calls for the top three teams in each division to earn post-season berths. The remaining four spots would go to wild-card teams, the top two records remaining in each conference. That means there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another.

It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 in the first round. The two fourth seeds would be made up of the wild-card teams. The top division winner based on regular-season points in the standings would face off against the lower-ranked wild-card team. The other division winner would play the higher-ranked wild-card.

First-round winners then meet in second round in the division championship; Third round sees Pacific winner vs. Mid-West winner in Western Conference finals; Central winner versus Atlantic winner in Eastern Conference finals; Eastern and Western Conference champions meet in Stanley Cup finals.

The regular season schedule would see teams play every team in the other conference home and away.

This plan is tentative as it still requires approval from both the NHL Board of Governors and the NHL Players' Association.

The NHL and the NHLPA have been working on this together for three weeks.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416887

Update. 2 conferences and 2 divisions in each conference.
I can dig.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:26 PM
ChiTownPhilly

Send a message via AIM to ChiTownPhilly
Re: current proposal-

LIKE:
All Eastern Time Zone teams in one conference.
All Central Time Zone teams in one division. (and Colorado added- makes most sense)
All Pacific Time Zone teams in one division. (with fast-fading Phoenix and the Alberta twins added)
Hockey's 'auld firm' (Montreal & Toronto) re-united.

Dislike slightly:
Detroit & Chicago broken up. [Though in honesty, I think alternatives are worse.]

Dislike Moderately:
Florida twins are on a geographic island.

DISLIKE INTENSELY:
Three top finishers from each division getting playoff berths.
Third-place finisher in weakest division could well have an inferior record to team[s] that miss[es] the playoffs.

ChiTownPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Why are they even trying to fix what isn't broken? So Detroit stops whining?

Atlantic division
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins

Northeast Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Central Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
St. Louis Blues

Northwest Division
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks

The problem would arise should Phoenix move to Quebec, or any other Easter market... But should Phoenix move somewhere like Seattle it could actually be beneficial...

Atlantic division
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins

Northeast Division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Southeast Division
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Central Division
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
St. Louis Blues

Northwest Division
Calgary Flames
Colorado Avalanche
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Seattle ________

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:32 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

If a team does move it SHOULD be to Canada. Buttman prolly won't allow it. Put them in a market that is hungry and vocal about it's hunger for the game. Anything else in my mind is bust.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:35 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
If a team does move it SHOULD be to Canada. Buttman prolly won't allow it. Put them in a market that is hungry and vocal about it's hunger for the game. Anything else in my mind is bust.
edit: and the last thing this league needs is MORE expansion. it'd be like makers mark saying they are watering down there drink.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
dawkins121

I don't like the divisional playoffs. I want to be able to play non-Atlantic teams before the Conference Finals. Plus if both Wild Cards are from the same division, wouldn't it be better to be the top Wild Card than 2 or 3 in the division? If all 5 teams from one division make it, then that division is probably the stronger one. The top seed in that division would play the 2nd wild card team while the 1st wild card team would get to be in the weaker division's playoff bracket leaving the rest of the stronger division to duke it out amongst themselves.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 PM
MrHockey1982

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417615

NHLPA approves realignment.

Quote:
The National Hockey League Players' Association has given its approval to the NHL's proposed re-alignment plan.

NHLPA executive director Don Fehr released a statement on Thursday, saying, "After discussions with the Executive Board, the NHLPA has given consent to realignment, to be re-evaluated following the 2014-15 season."

In an NHL memo obtained by TSN last week, the league proposed an Eastern Conference with 16 teams and a Western Conference with 14 teams.

Most notably, the Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets will move East, while the Winnipeg Jets will move back West. The Jets have been playing in the Southeast Division since the Atlanta Thrashers franchise moved north to Winnipeg prior to last season.

A vote from the NHL Board of Governors is expected within a week to make the plan official.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also released a statement on Thursday, saying, "The NHL Players' Association confirmed to us today that it has consented to a revised Plan for Realignment, effective for the 2013-14 season. Our next step will be to bring the proposed Plan for Realignment to the NHL Board of Governors for its consideration. We will update the status of the process as future developments warrant."

The divisional re-alignment, as outlined in the memo, would be as follows:

Western Conference

Pacific Division: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

Mid-West Division: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis and Winnipeg.

Eastern Conference

Central Division: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto.

Atlantic Division: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

The top three teams in each division would make the playoffs, along with the four wild-card teams - the best two non-division winners in each conference.