HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Bring On the Doppelbock

Old
02-22-2013, 04:09 PM
D Heinze

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I was speaking to the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield area mostly - a lot of the bars around there still allow smoking unfortunately.
I live down there. What bars were you frequenting that still smoke? Maybe Belvedere's. Even the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (good ol' BBT) doesn't allow indoor smoking.

Edit: You're right - I am always surprised when I go into Howlers and smell like a butt. Unfortunate. Thankfully the stage area doesn't allow smoking

D Heinze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Heinze View Post
How can I forget the Xmas Ale. That along with the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I like their Oat stout. Never tried the Creme Brulee
Yup Great Lakes Christmas is also awesome (I live right by the brewery in Cleveland). I would also recommend trying Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas Ale.

Creme Brulee stout is fairly sweet so it's not for everyone. For me, it's one of those sipping beers that you have 1 of every once in a while.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:38 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Heinze View Post
I live down there. What bars were you frequenting that still smoke? Maybe Belvedere's. Even the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern (good ol' BBT) doesn't allow indoor smoking.

Edit: You're right - I am always surprised when I go into Howlers and smell like a butt. Unfortunate. Thankfully the stage area doesn't allow smoking
Yeah Howlers, Thunderbird, Gooskis, Remedy, and some other bars on Butler St.

Granted, a lot of them are pretty divey so it probably shouldn't be a huge surprise to me.

There's higher end places like Industry and the new Franktuary, but those places are really overpriced IMO.

Franktuary has a really cool bar and the staff is nice. However, I'm not the type to spend $20 on an average hot dog and 2 beers. Yowsa.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:46 PM
D Heinze

Quote:
Yeah Howlers, Thunderbird, Gooskis, Remedy, and some other bars on Butler St.

Granted, a lot of them are pretty divey so it probably shouldn't be a huge surprise to me.

There's higher end places like Industry and the new Franktuary, but those places are really overpriced IMO.

Franktuary has a really cool bar and the staff is nice. However, I'm not the type to spend $20 on an average hot dog and 2 beers. Yowsa.
Yea, I like dives a lot. I used to frequent Gooski's a lot for the bands. I have only been for once in the past year for a show. Still an old stand-by.

Oh yea. I like Industry. I actually like Industry for Pens games.

I have only eaten from the Franktuary food truck, and it seemed to be priced like everything else. I'm not huge on dogs, but I tried my girlfriend's and it was pretty good.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Westy 12 is so hyped that it almost ruins the beer. Gotta try to not think about it when drinking one.

I actually have been hording one as well, might as well drink it tonight...
Prices were pretty outrageous for a brew that is not likely to live up to expectations/hype, no matter how good it is. I'm sure it's an awesome beer, but it would have to be exponentially better than Abt 12 (which is a very similar recipe, there is an interesting history with the two breweries) for it to warrant the price tag...which I can't imagine happening (I still would have bought some had it been available here, lol). But a side by side comparison would be interesting for someone to give.

HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
JimsDoors

Giant Eagle in my area offering 12's of Dortmunder Gold for $14.99. Made sure to get a case at that price. Probably go back before the sale is over to get more.

It's so good.

JimsDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsDoors View Post
Giant Eagle in my area offering 12's of Dortmunder Gold for $14.99. Made sure to get a case at that price. Probably go back before the sale is over to get more.

It's so good.
Yeah that's probably my favorite from them, good stuff. Which Giant Eagle perchance?

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
JimsDoors

Over here in Ohio.... aka Ah-hia

Old
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
dogthateats

I'm pretty sure Dortmunder Gold, Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald and Burning River are always $30 a case where I am. Has anybody had Alchemy Hour? I'm hoping to pick up a case Monday.

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

The roommate and I bought a quarter keg of Yuengling last night for a small party we had. I'm pretty sure there's still over half left.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
D Heinze

Hey guys, there is a local band that I really like called Brewer's Row playing at Pitt on Thursday (28th). It's at 7pm the O'Hara Student Center (same time as the Pens / Canes game, unfortunately). They are a good, lyrically-strong folk band.

It's a benefit for Habitat for Humanity as well. So you can feel good about yourself. If you come to Peter's Pub after, we'll buy you a beer!

Old
02-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogthateats View Post
I'm pretty sure Dortmunder Gold, Eliot Ness, Edmund Fitzgerald and Burning River are always $30 a case where I am. Has anybody had Alchemy Hour? I'm hoping to pick up a case Monday.
Yes and it's awesome. It's very well balanced IMO. It's definitely hoppy but not just straight up bitter hoppy. Citrusy and smooth. I really enjoyed it.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
WVP

Finally tried Worldwide Stout, I've been sitting on an '09 since, well 2009. At 20% it is a sipper for sure but I found it surprisingly drinkable and more than a novelty.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
SherogoesHAM

A few beers I really haven't seen mentioned.

Winter beers, Sierra Nevada's Celebration(really the gold standard of winter ales) and Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale. Old Fezziwig is sold only in a variety 24 packs with bad filler beers but you can find it at 6 pack shops and stock up. Very underrated beer.

Speaking of Great Lakes, be on the look out for Rye of The Tiger in April. Very good and new to bottling.

SherogoesHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
dogthateats

I still have about 4 Celebrations left. I have been savoring them. My shop didn't have Alchemy Hour yesterday I was pretty bummed.

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
JimsDoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogthateats View Post
I still have about 4 Celebrations left. I have been savoring them. My shop didn't have Alchemy Hour yesterday I was pretty bummed.
Celebration Ale is one of my favorites and can still get it near me. I tried Sierra Neveda's 'Bigfoot Ale' over the weekend. It's a barleywine type but not as heavy as othes I've tried. I thought it was good and would buy again. It comes in a 4 pack for $9.99. It's got a pretty good rating.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/2671

Old
02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
HuskerTornado
Those Aren't Pillows

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2767708.html
This is funny on so many levels.

HuskerTornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Cuts down on the taste of Clydesdale piss, I suppose.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
LarryNJ

A couple quick questions. I was looking at Fatheads website they mention they have a good selection of bottle beers to go upstairs. Do they carry many imported beers? German, Belgium ect. to go?

I'm coming in tomorrow evening with my son for a tour of Pitt on Friday. Would Fatheads still be cool to watch the game? I want him to watch it with a good size crowd of Pens fans. We're staying in Oakland but it's no problem going to different part of town. He'll be my DD!

Thanks

LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'm fairly sure Fathead's might card people in the evenings in order to get inside. Others might know better--I've only been there once when it wasn't daylight (lunch), and was carded. It's no problem to get there from Oakland. You might even be able to walk, as it's pretty much right across the river.

As for the beers, they had a half-decent selection of the usual suspects last time I was there (over the summer).

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
A couple quick questions. I was looking at Fatheads website they mention they have a good selection of bottle beers to go upstairs. Do they carry many imported beers? German, Belgium ect. to go?

I'm coming in tomorrow evening with my son for a tour of Pitt on Friday. Would Fatheads still be cool to watch the game? I want him to watch it with a good size crowd of Pens fans. We're staying in Oakland but it's no problem going to different part of town. He'll be my DD!

Thanks
Fat Heads isn't the best place to watch a game, I'd go to Smokin' Joe's on 20th and Carson. They have more TV's, more imported bottled beer and more taps, although I'd eat at Fat Heads or somewhere else first. SJ's doesn't have the best food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Spinoza View Post
I'm fairly sure Fathead's might card people in the evenings in order to get inside. Others might know better--I've only been there once when it wasn't daylight (lunch), and was carded.
That's only the weekends for the most part, they'll still let minors in to eat with parents as far as I know however.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
LarryNJ

Thanks for the tips. We're just leaving Jersey now so I won't have time to eat somewhere else first.

LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:49 PM
cassius

Where is the best place to grab a steak in Pittsburgh - without dropping like $60-70 per plate?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:38 AM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Where is the best place to grab a steak in Pittsburgh - without dropping like $60-70 per plate?
Nakama's chateaubriand is hard to beat, it's two filets for $35... Pittsburgh Steak Co isn't a bad look, I don't normally order steak unless at a steak house though. If you ever have the money to drop, try Hyde Park. Place is top notch and I met Bill Guerin in there before the Winter Classic.

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:01 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
So I went out and bought more beer last night. I purchased:

- 12 cans of "Double Trouble: Hops And Robbers IPA"
- A six pack of Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- A six pack of Southern Tier IPA ( Sadly not the 2XIPA but just the IPA. Nevertheless, I'm excited to try it. )
- A bottle of Innis & Gunn Original (I haven't had that stuff in 2-3 years. So I figured why not for the sake of nostalgia.)
- Two six packs of Leffe Blonde

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote