HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

#11 wins it!

Old
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
JackZap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
It reminiscent of the 07-08 team. You have 3 skilled lines, and a workmanlike 4th line that can also chip in. Both editions rolled 4 lines. The difference is that this team is not as efficient on the PP (yet), but seem to be more capable at even strength, and have a more established netminder.
luckily we dont have Gainey to **** things up

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't know what to make of the Leafs. They always get off to a great start and then go away...
They have enough team offensive talent to go on little runs where everything clicks.

But they are sadly deficient in guys that can play both sides of the puck so fall apart when either their scoring isn't working or their goaltending fails them.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Very interesting find, thank you for posting this.

This shows you just how much of a strength our depth it.
Yeah I just find the 9 points a little bit arbitrary !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Even if Habs play .500 rest of the way I think they'll make playoffs. I think we'll probably face Bruins 1st round as usual.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
It reminiscent of the 07-08 team. You have 3 skilled lines, and a workmanlike 4th line that can also chip in. Both editions rolled 4 lines. The difference is that this team is not as efficient on the PP (yet), but seem to be more capable at even strength, and have a more established netminder.
In some ways yes, but the 07-08 team was actually a nightmare on even strength that got papered over by special teams and goaltending talent.

The degree at which players got better on evens after they left Carboneau's coaching is simply staggering to behold.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Yeah I just find the 9 points a little bit arbitrary !
9 points equals .5 PPG, which I think is a good cutoff for what makes a player a threat offensively. If you have third liners and half your defense getting .5PPG, it means you have scoring depth.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Hey Armchair coaches! What should have Therrien done differently tonight? Thats all we hear after a loss, surely we have some constructive criticism?
*Nomination for Post of the Year*

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
In some ways yes, but the 07-08 team was actually a nightmare on even strength that got papered over by special teams and goaltending talent.

The degree at which players got better on evens after they left Carboneau's coaching is simply staggering to behold.
Paper tiger or not, I think it's impressive how good the 07-08 team was considering Carbo was their coach.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Forsead

Quote:
9 points equals .5 PPG, which I think is a good cutoff for what makes a player a threat offensively. If you have third liners and half your defense getting .5PPG, it means you have scoring depth.
I think your math doesn't work

10 pts is 0,5 PPG after 20 games played.

Then again he should maybe look at the PPG because all teams doesn't have the same number of games played.

Last edited by Forsead: 02-27-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
But I haven't posted there.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:01 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Some of us have been consistent with the criticisms. And sometime losses are related to poor coaching decisions - if only on the shootout, for instance.

Of course people take it to an extreme, but it's the same scapegoating that goes on with everyone - Desharnais is a smurf AHLer who is too weak for the NHL when we lose, and Marty St. Louis 2.0 when we win, Markov is the general when we win, slow and finished when we lose, etc, etc, etc.
Which is why no single individual player should ever be "blamed" for a loss (other than Budaj letting in some softies). It is a team game.

Regarding the shootout selection as a criticism of Therrien, there is a perfect reply to that........list every single Canadiens player who was suited up (eliminate Price and Budaj) and then explain why they did not score that extra goal which would have prevented OT from happening.

Everyone that was listed as a better choice had an opportunity to score a goal during regulation.........but they did not.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Paper tiger or not, I think it's impressive how good the 07-08 team was considering Carbo was their coach.
They had a lot of future talent on that team.

Which meant that Gainey was actually doing a good job up to then, which Carbo's hilarious lack of understanding about modern tactics ended up squandering.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I think you math doesn't work

10 pts is 0,5 PPG after 20 games played.

Then again he should maybe look at the PPG because all teams doesn't have the same number of games played.
I thought those numbers were from before today's game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Which meant that Gainey was actually doing a good job up to then, which Carbo's hilarious lack of understanding about modern tactics ended up squandering.
Well I think Gainey was a good GM until after that year, and there's obvious reasons to point to 2007 as the beginning of the end for him.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Great win, although there were times where I felt like they were still kinda bullying us. Oh well. Scooooooreboard.

Big, big weekend ahead. Let's see how we handle two of the premier teams in the conference.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Great win by the Habs tonight.

You guys have a great team. I'm not going to lie, I wasn't really scared by the Habs going into this year. You guys have definitely surprised me and I don't think it's a temporary stay at the top of the conference.

Seems like your players never give up. I noticed vs. Ottawa, you'd dump it in and be right on the Sens. You guys were well positioned so it was hard to break out. When we got up the ice, someone was literally on top of a Senator taking the puck away. Great to see a team with the skill Montreal has also willing to work hard for the wins.

Galchenyuk is awesome. Amazing visions and hands from that kid. He seems to have problems finishing at the moment, but you do learn that with experience. I have no doubts he'll be a 30-40G, 50-60A player in this league. Also, Subban makes some bad plays at times, but wow does he ever have skill. I love his shot.

Anyways, good luck for the rest of the season! Was great to hear the ole chant starting up at the ACC.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Which is why no single individual player should ever be "blamed" for a loss (other than Budaj letting in some softies). It is a team game. [...]
referring to white again?

look, there's nothing wrong when you point out that a player has cost us a game (or two in some cases) when a player does quite literally cost you a game. white has cost us 3 (or 4) points so far. nothing wrong pointing it out; doesn't mean we hate him. in fact, he's been beastly since coming back from his second benching.

generally though, i agree, but sometimes it is somebody's fault. like therrien putting gionta and plekanec on the shootout

therrien

Old
02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Give this a listen people...this is our victory song....our boys are playin this in the room tonight...guaranteed!!!

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

also, am i crazy to point out that i think we are playing a game similar to the blues' or is it just me?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Muminek

That EN goal still counts against Scrivens. That`s just mean.

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
also, am i crazy to point out that i think we are playing a game similar to the blues' or is it just me?
Count me as someone who follows a similar line of thought. On even strength, at least. "Aggressive, hard forechecking, yet defense-first".

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
He was still on the ice though, wasn't he ?

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Similar foundation (puck possession, aggressive forecheck, defense-first, cries of "boring" by the teams we are beating), but nowhere near the ridiculous possession levels the Blues have.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:17 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muminek View Post
no vezina 4 u

Old
02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Great win by the Habs tonight.

You guys have a great team. I'm not going to lie, I wasn't really scared by the Habs going into this year. You guys have definitely surprised me and I don't think it's a temporary stay at the top of the conference.

Seems like your players never give up. I noticed vs. Ottawa, you'd dump it in and be right on the Sens. You guys were well positioned so it was hard to break out. When we got up the ice, someone was literally on top of a Senator taking the puck away. Great to see a team with the skill Montreal has also willing to work hard for the wins.

Galchenyuk is awesome. Amazing visions and hands from that kid. He seems to have problems finishing at the moment, but you do learn that with experience. I have no doubts he'll be a 30-40G, 50-60A player in this league. Also, Subban makes some bad plays at times, but wow does he ever have skill. I love his shot.

Anyways, good luck for the rest of the season! Was great to hear the ole chant starting up at the ACC.
Classy post. Would be great to finally have the MTL-OTT playoff series this year (with Habs having home ice advantage of course).

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
Give this a listen people...this is our victory song....our boys are playin this in the room tonight...guaranteed!!!

Armstrong loves it.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote