Realignment approved by BOG - Jets move to Western Conference, "Division B"

Old
02-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
I dont like the this setup for the league

I like 8-7 West 8-7 East

and playoffs similar to what we have now, 1v8 2v7 ect. for the "conferences/divisions/whatevertheyarecalled

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

vCash: 500
I think it will be better to develop a bit of an "original six" feel with a few teams in our own division over the years. As I was pointing out above, we're going to have more games against the "other" conference, not less (a lot more, actually) and we'll be getting Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver (collectively) 4-5 times at home and 4-5 times on the road, as opposed to 3 times in total now. So a rivalry with our western Canadian friends can genuinely develop and there will be plenty of opportunities for road trips out west and from the west to Winnipeg. It is also possible that we can meet each other in the playoffs -- if Winnipeg is a wildcard, there is a fairly good chance that it would end up playing Calgary, Edmonton or Vancouver in a playoff round. Same thing if any of them are wildcards, as will often happen (supposing the Jets get to be a playoff contender at some point).

In Toronto, I'll get to see the Jets every year, which is a relief (glad it's not more @ $225/ticket).

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
If the Coyotes move to QC, the most logical response would be to bump Colorado to the WEST division, and Detroit+Columbus to the CENTRAL with the 6 CTZ teams. QC would be in the NORTHEAST. But with the BOG and the NHLPA, I expect some idiotic half-baked compromise.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Maybe because many of the same people who danced on the Thrashers grave were also part of the group who trolled Nashville when it was thought that they might move?
For me, Nashville is a model of what can happen when you are patient and let a team build up a fanbase with good management/ ownership.

One of my most enjoyable times watching a game was the playoff match between the Preds and Canucks a couple of seasons ago at Bridgestone. What a great building and fans. (and city)

There has been a lot of insensitivity and immaturity on both sides when it comes to relocation. Winnipeg has been the target of a lot of hateful things over the years, and so has Atlanta, Nashville, the Florida teams and Phoenix.

Business aside, it sucks for a fan to lose their team. Always. People should try and understand that.

02-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Everyone seems quick to volunteer Detroit and Columbus moving to the west.
Both of those teams are EST, don't want to play in the west, and shouldn't be forced into it so that the east coast teams don't feel hard done by while riding the bus to their division rivals.

The western division having only seven teams isn't ideal but if teams in the east want to complain about it they should be given to option to move west themselves to remedy it. Put up or shut up.

I'm seeing a few people comment on the wild card existing in order to "balance" the 7 and 8 team divisions. I don't think this is the intent. The reason is to give teams in the tougher divisions a chamce to make the playoffs even if they don't finish in the top four.

I'm not certain of the wildcard rule scenario but I hope the cross divisional play is only invoked if the wildcard is actually used and it isn't automatically 1-8, 2-7 even if the top four in each division qualify.

Last edited by Gnova: 02-27-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:24 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Everyone seems quick to volunteer Detroit and Columbus moving to the west.
Both of those teams are EST, don't want to play in the west, and shouldn't be forced into it so that the east coast teams don't feel hard done by while riding the bus to their division rivals.

The western division having only seven teams isn't ideal but if teams in the east want to complain about it they should be given to option to move west themselves to remedy it. Put up or shut up.

I'm seeing a few people comment on the wild card existing in order to "balance" the 7 and 8 team divisions. I don't think this is the intent. The reason is to give teams in the tougher divisions a chamce to make the playoffs even if they don't finish in the top four.

I'm not certain of the wildcard rule scenario but I hope the cross divisional play is only invoked if the wildcard is actually used and it isn't automatically 1-8, 2-7 even if the top four in each division qualify.
The players have complained about the 16 team to 14 team imbalance, the league seems ok with it, as they're the ones who proposed it. The PA seems to think Detroit or Columbus should stay west (although I'm sure players from those teams themselves are not pleased). If the PA shoots down re-alignment again based on this issue, there will have to be one team pretty annoyed, and it will likely be Detroit.

tbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
The players have complained about the 16 team to 14 team imbalance, the league seems ok with it, as they're the ones who proposed it. The PA seems to think Detroit or Columbus should stay west (although I'm sure players from those teams themselves are not pleased). If the PA shoots down re-alignment again based on this issue, there will have to be one team pretty annoyed, and it will likely be Detroit.
Good, I hope it is rejected. It's stupid, in my opinion. Go 15 and 15, it's pretty simple math. Then have a division of 8 and 7 in each Conference.

The NHL is trying FAR too hard here to run this to absolute perfection in terms of geography. I've heard many upon many in the hockey world, media, etc.. say the same, and I fully agree. An imbalance in numbers from Conference to Conference is just silly in my opinion.

02-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Huffer

I hate to be the guy to bump their own question, but can someone let me know what they think of my question in post #159? Specifically how they see the teams being seeded for rounds 1-3?

According to the way it's worded on TSN, and the way I set up the hypothetical standings, it looks like you could possibly win a division title other than your own.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I hate to be the guy to bump their own question, but can someone let me know what they think of my question in post #159? Specifically how they see the teams being seeded for rounds 1-3?

According to the way it's worded on TSN, and the way I set up the hypothetical standings, it looks like you could possibly win a division title other than your own.
Yes that's exactly right. You can cross over to the other division in your conference. You then play in division for rounds 1-2, then play the other div champ in round 2. But due the cross over as in your scenario dal could win pacific and pho could win north west and play each other lol, not a big deal at all, IMO ensures top 8 make playoffs.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yes that's exactly right. You can cross over to the other division in your conference. You then play in division for rounds 1-2, then play the other div champ in round 2. But due the cross over as in your scenario dal could win pacific and pho could win north west and play each other lol, not a big deal at all, IMO ensures top 8 make playoffs.
Thanks. I like the idea of having the "right" 8 teams in the playoffs. IOW, the wildcards work to ensure that the top 8 are in.

Just seemed a little weird that teams could then win Division titles for Divisions they are not in.

Theoretically, the Jets could win the "Mid-West" Division one year, and then win the "Pacific" Division the next.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I wish the players would start acting like employees.
The fans in Detroit and Columbus want to watch hockey games in primetime and play teams from their side of the continent. The PA should piss off and let the fans win.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
For me, Nashville is a model of what can happen when you are patient and let a team build up a fanbase with good management/ ownership.

One of my most enjoyable times watching a game was the playoff match between the Preds and Canucks a couple of seasons ago at Bridgestone. What a great building and fans. (and city)

There has been a lot of insensitivity and immaturity on both sides when it comes to relocation. Winnipeg has been the target of a lot of hateful things over the years, and so has Atlanta, Nashville, the Florida teams and Phoenix.

Business aside, it sucks for a fan to lose their team. Always. People should try and understand that
I think we both can agree that anytime someone has their fanhood questioned or told that hockey doesn't belong in their city there will be pushback.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Considering the fans pay the bills, I wished the NHL would have a questionare of somewhat to gauge the fans opinions on changes like this. Tough to improve your product if you don't listen to your customers thoughts and wishes.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:46 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Considering the fans pay the bills, I wished the NHL would have a questionare of somewhat to gauge the fans opinions on changes like this. Tough to improve your product if you don't listen to your customers thoughts and wishes.
The NHL has never listened to the fans... why start now?

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
Fans often resist change and would muddle the process further.

Personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about.

Getting to see every team once a year is a plus.

More games in the home time zone is a plus.

More games against the Western Canadian teams is a plus.

Nothing else really matters to me apart from winning.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I don' tknow. i think i get it.

My assumption, even though they've improved travel balance somewhat, that the 7 7 vs 8 8 might be a bone thrown to the western teams. East gets lighter travel, west gets easier path to playoffs.

From my understanding this was designed WITH the NHLPA soat least the "big wigs" on the PA didn't have too many issues with it, so we'll see if it gets passed.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I don' tknow. i think i get it.

My assumption, even though they've improved travel balance somewhat, that the 7 7 vs 8 8 might be a bone thrown to the western teams. East gets lighter travel, west gets easier path to playoffs.

From my understanding this was designed WITH the NHLPA soat least the "big wigs" on the PA didn't have too many issues with it, so we'll see if it gets passed.
It could be a money thing.

There is a cost associated with more travel and there is money to be had via improved playoff chances. Could the trade off be that simple?

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:44 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

Rounds one and two are within the division. 1v4, 2v3. Then the winners of said matches paly each other. 3rd round is the conference championship between the 2 "division" champions.

Since the 4th place team on either side could technically be from the other division, yes the conference championship can feature two teams of the same division (or even more odd a Pacific team come out of the mid-west and a mid-west team out of the pacific). But since they are allowing cross overs that can't be avoided.

Technially division titles are given to the division winner in the regular season, so the playoff "division" champion wouldn't really win a division title.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Fans often resist change and would muddle the process further.

Personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about.

Getting to see every team once a year is a plus.

More games in the home time zone is a plus.

More games against the Western Canadian teams is a plus.

Nothing else really matters to me apart from winning.
This is exactly how I feel.

The 'listening to fans' line is getting old to me. Fan opinions are all over the map on this. What would be gained from listening to emotional opinions that don't have all of the facts the NHL does?

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
I'm really looking forward to seeing the teams in the CST zone, but have to admit it worries me a bit. I feel like if we can't dominate the division we're currently in, playing Chicago and Nashville a whole lot more isn't going to help us do anything but get high draft picks.

Oh... hmmm... maybe I don't mind this at all then...

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing the teams in the CST zone, but have to admit it worries me a bit. I feel like if we can't dominate the division we're currently in, playing Chicago and Nashville a whole lot more isn't going to help us do anything but get high draft picks.

Relative strength of divisions goes up and down over time. You don't have to go back too far to remember when both Chicago and Nashville were doormats.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post

I think the the proposal would be to play them 5 times a year, some years one of them just 4 times. it's actually less than if we were in the same division under the old system (6 times a year), and not really much different than if we were in the same conference (4 times a year).

16 East teams * 2 games each = 32
7 pacific teams * 3 games each = 21

29 games are split over the 6 other mid-west teams. 5 games each, one only gets 4.

so while Chicago and Nashville might be harder to win the division, it's not like we're playing them so much it prevents getting to the playoffs.

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:00 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

neat lil' article I found (well he actually advertised it on the AIH comment wall)
http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/2...l-realignment/

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I really hope you guys stay out of our division, my friends and I are really enjoying cheering for the Jets.
Not me we NEED the Jets. Edmonton has never won a cup without beating Winnipeg along the way. I can't wait to go to a Jets Oilers game for the first time since I was a little guy.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Not me we NEED the Jets. Edmonton has never won a cup without beating Winnipeg along the way. I can't wait to go to a Jets Oilers game for the first time since I was a little guy.

History doesn't always repeat itself, and you will find that out soon enough

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote