HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Augmenting TV Broadcasts & the "Second Screen"

Old
02-23-2013, 11:42 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Augmenting TV Broadcasts & the "Second Screen"

We all remember the fiasco with Fox Sports and their FoxTrax crap. I'm not really proposing any of that. But I have noticed that the game can be difficult for new comers and even veteran fans to keep up who is on the ice on any given shift.

For myself, it's keeping up with the opposition lines. Or watching 2 teams that I don't watch to often now that I'm on Centre Ice.

What would you guys think about augmenting the broadcasts with player names imposed on the TV when play has stopped? Specifically during faceoffs. Have a circle appear under each player with their last name along with maybe their position almost similar to the EA's NHL games. Just during the face offs and have it removed once play resumes/begins.

Do you think such technology is possible? If such a system was implemented, would you see it more along the lines of the old FoxTrax gimmick used in the 90's, or would you consider it an enhancement to the watchability of the game?

Also, the NHL should pioneer the proper utilization of the "Second screen" that has permeated almost everyone's life. CBC had this feature called "Second screen" that was a lame attempt and utilizing the smart phone as an interactive aspect to hockey. But I was thinking of the potential for the NHL to have an app that updated real time stats such as hits, shot totals by player and teams, saves, scoring chances, etc that you could check in real time while you watch on your TV. It would help bring a lot more context to the game for not only new fans to the sport, but also long time fans as well. Having a live "chat" of the game for both home and opposing teams would also be great.

What are your thoughts about bringing technology into the sport? Do you think it would help open the sport up to more people? More than anything I feel the need to make the game more accessible. Game Center Live was a great step in the right direction but lacks some fundamental aspects.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:06 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I would hate it and wouldn't get any use from it.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:31 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Reminds me of what FOX does now for their NFL broadcasts, highlighting a receiver or someone before a play begins with a bubble with their name and a line to them. I'd be all for it.

As for the 2nd screen, NBC does this with their 'star cam'. I never use it.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:47 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
I don't mind. Like the above poster said, it's already used in NFL broadcasts.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

I'd like to have the option to view an alternative camera angle, including one that just follows a particular player. Often when I'm watching the game live, I'll spend a while just following around one player rather than watching the puck. I think they've done that before with Sid or Ovi, but ideally I'd like more of a choice.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
tiz

I wouldn't mind if they listed who was on the ice (just the jersey numbers) somewhere on the side of the screen. Like on the top bar next to score have: Team 1 - 3, 7, 13, 29, 20 / Team 2 - 9, 16, 23, 44, 95

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz View Post
I wouldn't mind if they listed who was on the ice (just the jersey numbers) somewhere on the side of the screen. Like on the top bar next to score have: Team 1 - 3, 7, 13, 29, 20 / Team 2 - 9, 16, 23, 44, 95
This would be cool - it's useful information, and it would be less intrusive if it was at the margin of the screen.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:56 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes....and as someone else suggested, allow the viewer to choose a certain player to zero in on (kind of like what Nascar does), pull up stats, different angles, web chat with other fans on the tv, etc. Everything is becoming more interactive, no reason why the NHL shouldn't follow suit with it's viewers.

I'm sure we'll see something like this sooner rather than later.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:33 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh nnnnnooooo !!!!!!!! If anything, I'd like to see the idiot thingy with the current score, time, and the network logo removed altogether from. Note that the ATSC standard allows
Quote:
...three streams are encoded in the video: two are backward compatible "line 21" captions, and the third is a set of up to 63 additional caption streams encoded in EIA-708 format.
So you've got up to 65 possible caption streams. Put the current score, etc in one of those captions streams. That way, sports fans can watch sports, and ticker fans can watch tickers.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:20 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I think the technology isn't there yet for single player focus as it would require substantial investment in retrofitting more HD cameras into every broadcast. However, that's not to say that adding layers to the game wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Question is, how do you appease the purists while at the same time providing more in-depth interactivity and/or relevant stats (Other than obscure stats dug up from god knows where)?

I'm definitely not proposing filling the screen with a bunch of nonsense to distract from the game. But during stoppages in play and/or faceoffs it would be great (For myself anyway) to see who the opposing players on the ice are besides the well-known stars.

We can all agree that even with full HD it is difficult to read the names on the back of the jerseys during play, right?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:01 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I think the technology isn't there yet for single player focus as it would require substantial investment in retrofitting more HD cameras into every broadcast. However, that's not to say that adding layers to the game wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. Question is, how do you appease the purists while at the same time providing more in-depth interactivity and/or relevant stats (Other than obscure stats dug up from god knows where)?

I'm definitely not proposing filling the screen with a bunch of nonsense to distract from the game. But during stoppages in play and/or faceoffs it would be great (For myself anyway) to see who the opposing players on the ice are besides the well-known stars.

We can all agree that even with full HD it is difficult to read the names on the back of the jerseys during play, right?
Easy...you make it optional. If you want the added stats to fill up the screen, you click a button or two and they appear. That way you can bring them up or down as you like. Of course, the NHL can make this option available to the user at a cost, which means more $$ for the NHL!! You don't think they are already looking into stuff like this?

Camera technology has been making great strides over the past few years....I don't think it would be difficult (or expensive) as some might think to position a few extra cameras around an arena to give us different looks or follow certain players. I'm not saying it's gonna happen within the next couple of years, but 10 years down the road? Absolutely.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Hockey Joe

I can imagine GameCenter with an optional side panel with the roster and players on the ice highlighted. Then click on the name and get a bunch of stats.

Choice of camera angle would be great. Then put cameras on rails on either sides to follow rushes.

Hockey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:03 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I just don't see why it's so upsetting to display information about the game.

Ads superimposed on the glass? Glowing halo around the puck? Robot dancing around the screen? Yeah, I get the issue with that. But we're talking about actually giving people a better awareness of what's happening on the ice, not detracting from it. I don't get the "purist" aspect of wanting to not know who's on the ice.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Noldo

From general marketing point of view, I think tha league really should try to embrace any opportunities to increase exposure, and thus marketability, of individual players. I actually think that even initiatives like the golden helmet used in Finnish Elite League should be looked at, but doing it only on broadcasts could be even better.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:31 PM
knorthern knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I just don't see why it's so upsetting to display information about the game.

Ads superimposed on the glass? Glowing halo around the puck? Robot dancing around the screen? Yeah, I get the issue with that. But we're talking about actually giving people a better awareness of what's happening on the ice, not detracting from it.
Howsabout actually giving people a better VIEW of what's happening on the ice?

Quote:
I don't get the "purist" aspect of wanting to not know who's on the ice.
At the risk of being called elitist, I generally know what's going on on the ice. As I said, ATSC allows umpteen closed-caption streams. Use one of them for "value added information". And if you REALLY don't know what's happeing on the ice, write a letter to the broadcaster asking them to fire the play-by-play announcer. It's his job to keep you informed.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:46 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the proposals here, but none of them seem to have to do with the view of the action. The graphics being suggested sound very un-intrusive, mostly appearing during stoppages and in the corners of the screen which generally just show the boards and crowd.

Now, if you want to talk about camera angles, I'm all for improvements on that front. The other night I watched a game from Nassau where the puck went off-screen every time it cleared the zone.

Quote:
At the risk of being called elitist, I generally know what's going on on the ice.
If you can tell which players are coming onto the ice during off-screen line changes, you're a better fan than me.

Optional information streams are obviously a superior option, but they're still not close to implementation in most households. We will get there eventually, but in the meantime I'd much rather know which players on the ice than just see them as "Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, Player 4, and Stamkos".

Old
02-27-2013, 08:43 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:

At the risk of being called elitist, I generally know what's going on on the ice. As I said, ATSC allows umpteen closed-caption streams. Use one of them for "value added information". And if you REALLY don't know what's happeing on the ice, write a letter to the broadcaster asking them to fire the play-by-play announcer. It's his job to keep you informed.
ELITIST!!!

Seriously, this isn't just about you. It's about bringing in newer and younger fans. If technology can allow for people to have access to addt'l info while not disrupting the viewing of the game for purists (elitists) like you, what's the harm?

Old
02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

If you want this information use GCL on your smart phone or tablet while watching the game.
There is already enough crap on the screen distracting from the game.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
If you want this information use GCL on your smart phone or tablet while watching the game.
There is already enough crap on the screen distracting from the game.
The technology is there to make it optional. If you don't want to see it because it might "distract" you, don't turn it on..

Is it really that hard to figure out?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
Tinalera

My .00002 on interactivity.

If the NHL is making the push to get to get the more casual/younger generation fan, then I think we will see the "Nascar"ing of NHL with things like different camera angles, stats, ect-as others have pointed, interactivity. The current generation is about social media/computer centric. I do agree that it should be an option that you turn on or off, whether the NHL would go that way I don't know.

I will offer the caveat about "Nascar"ing the NHL-you DONT want to push away your core fan base, and that is the problem Nascar has had for the past few years-in their push to get more 'casual' fans, they pushed out the fans that got them there.

The NHL cannot fall into that trap of alienating their core fan base, but also need to reach out to the younger/casual fanbase.

A tightrope to be sure.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
knorthern knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The technology is there to make it optional. If you don't want to see it because it might "distract" you, don't turn it on..

Is it really that hard to figure out?
Please enlighten me regarding how to "not turn on" CBC's idiot bar and for that matter everybody's thingy with the score+time remaining+etc.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:31 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

What's the "idiot bar"?

Old
02-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
I wouldn't be against it but I wouldn't be asking for it

The more information the better but I don't feel the need for it

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Please enlighten me regarding how to "not turn on" CBC's idiot bar and for that matter everybody's thingy with the score+time remaining+etc.
Sounds like you've never been exposed to interactive television before...

Old
03-01-2013, 12:33 AM
knorthern knight

Quote:
What's the "idiot bar"?
See http://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legac...2339553045.jpg for an example. Notice the display in the top left with the score/time-remaining/yadayadayada in the top left of the screen?