HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ALL encompassing Rumors & Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 10:52 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I hope not. To me, that's the worst case scenario. If we aren't going for it, trade Briere (unless he declines to waive, then you just amnesty him), Fedetenko and perhaps Mezsaros (if he can come back in time). If we are going for it, then a trade to add some sort of PMD just has to be made.

I'm not advocating that we blow up the core, but we either need to add to it or trade the vets who make more than their play would dictate that they should.
worse case is trading youth for vets.

Standing pat is better than that.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
I hope not. To me, that's the worst case scenario. If we aren't going for it, trade Briere (unless he declines to waive, then you just amnesty him), Fedetenko and perhaps Mezsaros (if he can come back in time). If we are going for it, then a trade to add some sort of PMD just has to be made.

I'm not advocating that we blow up the core, but we either need to add to it or trade the vets who make more than their play would dictate that they should.
A week ago I'd agree that it might be time to start shipping out underperforming vets, but this Gagne trade plus the Knuble signing makes me think this team is desperate for veteran leadership. This team has been maddeningly inconsistent and it seems like what management thinks the young guys need is some leaders. They might be missing Jagr for more than just his scoring touch. At this point I'm not too opposed to keeping guys like Briere and Timonen around just because of what they mean to the organization.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I rather trade Briere at the deadline and get some assets back than amnesty him for nothing. But I know Snider doesn't think like that. In his eyes his teams are always a cup contender.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:21 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Brian Campbell maybe homer should see what it would take to get him? Has a big shot and can run the PP.

Thoughts..

Old
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Good player but that 7.1 cap hit is a killer. Florida would have to retain a lot of the caphit.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Brian Campbell maybe homer should see what it would take to get him? Has a big shot and can run the PP.

Thoughts..
I like Campbell, but his 7.1 cap hit is too much for us.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I like Campbell, but his 7.1 cap hit is too much for us.
3 more years of that too. He also has a NTC.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Good player but that 7.1 cap hit is a killer. Florida would have to retain a lot of the caphit.
i think fla wouldnt mind keeping 50% of the hit if we could pay all the salary...but campbell has a straight up contract where salary = caphit. Cant see us giving good assets up for him and hes kind of valuable to Fla.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Gert B Frobe

Campbell for Briere plus a pick? Not sure what more would be needed if anything.

I am all for dealing Briere - for defensive youth if possible or for a similarly overpriced veteran defenseman.

If the Flyers deal any of their young forwards they better stay young or I am completely against it. I just hope Homer doesn't do something stupid like trade Couturier/Laughton/Schenn/etc. for an older defenseman (even if he's really good).

I guess I could be wrong though. Let's say the Flyers land somebody like Bouwmeester for one of the young guys with/without a pick and he's exactly what they need and Kimmo starts playing great with fewer minutes and they get the 5 seed and Bryz heats up and the team gets on a roll and who knows????

Old
02-27-2013, 11:42 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Campbell for Briere plus a pick? Not sure what more would be needed if anything.

I am all for dealing Briere - for defensive youth if possible or for a similarly overpriced veteran defenseman.

If the Flyers deal any of their young forwards they better stay young or I am completely against it. I just hope Homer doesn't do something stupid like trade Couturier/Laughton/Schenn/etc. for an older defenseman (even if he's really good).

I guess I could be wrong though. Let's say the Flyers land somebody like Bouwmeester for one of the young guys with/without a pick and he's exactly what they need and Kimmo starts playing great with fewer minutes and they get the 5 seed and Bryz heats up and the team gets on a roll and who knows????
no. Bowmeester isnt the answer.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
no. Bowmeester isnt the answer.
Really? He has played his entire career on bad teams. Calgary sucks and has sucked since 89. I'm not saying he's great or anything but he's better than any Flyer defenseman.

Every team he has played on his coaches have put him on the first pairing. He has played the most minutes on every team he's been on so he obviously impressed some coaches. Even if he sucked - really bad - one of those teams could have made the playoffs if they weren't just absolutely terrible. He hasn't had anybody around him his entire career. He might actually be stepping onto the best team he has ever played on in his career. That's pretty sad actually...

Old
02-28-2013, 12:23 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Really? He has played his entire career on bad teams. Calgary sucks and has sucked since 89. I'm not saying he's great or anything but he's better than any Flyer defenseman.

Every team he has played on his coaches have put him on the first pairing. He has played the most minutes on every team he's been on so he obviously impressed some coaches. Even if he sucked - really bad - one of those teams could have made the playoffs if they weren't just absolutely terrible. He hasn't had anybody around him his entire career. He might actually be stepping onto the best team he has ever played on in his career. That's pretty sad actually...
not for schenn / couturier.

Boumeester is a wierd player...big cap hit, not a PMD ( hes like a better Coburn) on offense, and zero physicality. Hes not bad, but he doesnt fix our problems.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:33 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Just watched Dreger and McKenzie on NHL Network. They both think the Flyers won't go for the big move at the deadline. They think we'll stay put with what we got now.
of course that can all change in a month. The schedule gets tougher in March.
Of course I think we need to drop some salary to avoid the bonus overage penalties. Or at least I thought I read that.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:39 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Just watched Dreger and McKenzie on NHL Network. They both think the Flyers won't go for the big move at the deadline. They think we'll stay put with what we got now.
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov

Honestly, we are a playoff competitor if healthy. Maybe not a contender yet, be have have 2nd / 3rd round talent when our team is healthy. Now we just need to stop being injured so much.

Frankly, at this rate we're either going to miss the playoffs or squeak in just to be first round fodder to one of the top teams in the Conference that we're not ready for.

But I will say, if Gagne plays like this all season, I want him re-signed.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Baby Face Trilla

Briere for Campbell straight up. Hope FLA gives Briere that amnesty, re-sign Briere in the offseason to a less expensive contract.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:56 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Face Trilla View Post
Briere for Campbell straight up. Hope FLA gives Briere that amnesty, re-sign Briere in the offseason to a less expensive contract.
Why would they trade for him just to amnesty him?

Old
02-28-2013, 02:06 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
That would actually be a perfect trade for both teams. Flyers get a PMD, florida gets a big cap hit with reduced real salary. Unfortunately not going to happen.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
That would actually be a perfect trade for both teams. Flyers get a PMD, florida gets a big cap hit with reduced real salary. Unfortunately not going to happen.
Does little to help Florida down the road though. They could get a lot more than a pick.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Baby Face Trilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post

After the Panthers go on a run and win the Cup they won't want that dead weight on their cap as they pursue Getzlaf and Perry. You don't watch much hockey.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
SAINDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
of course that can all change in a month. The schedule gets tougher in March.
Of course I think we need to drop some salary to avoid the bonus overage penalties. Or at least I thought I read that.
The schedule is tough in terms of who we play, but out of 13 games only 2 are back to back:

Mar 9 @ Boston
Mar 10 vs Buffalo

Back to back home games
Mar 30 vs Bruins
Mar 31 vs Caps

Old
02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

Bobby Mac said that Anaheim will not be resigning Perry on the radio. The speculation this will cause is going to be hilarious. Of course the Flyers will be mentioned nonstop for him too. The price to get him will scare me though.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Bobby Mac said that Anaheim will not be resigning Perry on the radio. The speculation this will cause is going to be hilarious. Of course the Flyers will be mentioned nonstop for him too. The price to get him will scare me though.
Yea, and I'm sure the Ducks would ask for NHL players, not a package of prospects and picks, since a Playoff appearance is likely. Doesn't seem like a good fit for us middle of the season, but I'm banking on Eklund to stir some ****.

Old
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Cheaper payout than amnestying Campbell?

Old
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I don't think they will go after him in a trade, but they will be in every rumor. If he hits UFA, I do think they will try to sign him, but IMO not a trade.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If he's not going to be resigned I'd rather just trade Briere at the deadline for a 1st and then go for perry in free agency, rather than pay the ridiculous price for him at the deadline. Only problem is that if some team does pay the price for him, they'd probably end up resigning him.

Closed Thread