HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Kings & Ducks sharing a channel in 2014?

Old
02-09-2013, 10:14 PM
The Lone Ranger

vCash: 500
Kings & Ducks sharing a channel in 2014?

As some of you may know, the Dodgers have recently struck a deal with Time Warner Cable to create a new channel where the baseball team will be the centerpiece. This development (along with the Lakers' defection to TWC from Fox Sports West) is certain to have repercussions affecting TV deals for all the other SoCal pro teams, including the Kings and Ducks.

For the last decade or so, Fox Sports West has been able to sustain two channels, thanks to their agreements with the two crown-jewel L.A. franchises. The Lakers headlined FSW, with the Angels and Kings playing supporting roles. Over at Prime Ticket, the Dodgers were the featured attraction, with the Clippers and Ducks rounding out the rest of the schedule. But now that the two marquee teams have defected to TWC, it's hard to imagine FSW being able to use their remaining MLB and NBA properties (the Angels and Clippers) to each headline seperate channels like they were able to do with the Dodgers and Lakers. After the Dodgers play their final game on Prime Ticket, there's a very real possibility of FSW eventually being forced to consolidate their programming onto one channel.

Where does that leave the region's two NHL teams? It would appear that starting in either 2013 or '14, the Kings and Ducks may end up having to share one cable channel... at least until the Ducks' deal with Fox expires in 2015. (The Kings are married to FSW until 2024.) What will this mean? In the short term, probably more Ducks games will be televised on the local KDOC channel, whenever a live Clippers or Kings game is simultaneously taking place. But what about after Anaheim's agreement with FSW ends? One would think Ducks management would probably like to work out a deal with another cable network. And if this is the case, wouldn't it make sense for the Ducks to partner up with TWC, in order to fill out the fall/winter schedule of the Dodgers' channel, similar to the arrangment that the Brooklyn Nets have with the Yankees on the YES network.

Wonder if anybody else has thoughts about how Kings & Ducks broadcasting deals will unfold?

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Couldn't they just keep Prime Ticket and have two teams on each channel? Kings and Angels on West and Ducks and Clippers on PT.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:47 PM
onlyalad

If Fox gets rid of a channel, I think that the Ducks could bolt next. Samueli owns a station: kdoc, and could take the Ducks there. That would leave Fox with Kings, Clippers and Angels.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
The KDOC broadcasts are horrendous. The sound and picture quality of a Game Boy Color. I take that back, it's an insult to the Game Boy Color.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Unholy

Ugh no KDOC please.. it is indeed horrific.

02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
If Fox gets rid of a channel, I think that the Ducks could bolt next. Samueli owns a station: kdoc, and could take the Ducks there. That would leave Fox with Kings, Clippers and Angels.
They're not gonna put their entire season slate on an over the air station. Doesn't pay what RSNs pay for rights, and seeing as the station and team have the same owner as you say, it doesn't pay anything.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:19 PM
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
Couldn't they just keep Prime Ticket and have two teams on each channel? Kings and Angels on West and Ducks and Clippers on PT.
I think a channel whose main features are the Clippers and Ducks will be a hard sell to many cable operators. Living in Hawaii, I know that my cable provider (TWC) would probably drop that channel entirely. Or at the most, placed on some premium sports package tier. If other cable providers in the west coast region start doing the same thing, that can't be good news for either team, as far as exposure is concerned.

Another problem with trying to carry on Prime Ticket w/o the Dodgers is that it leaves the channel with a huge programming void during the summer. During that part of the year, there's no live college sporting events to pick up the slack.

The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:23 PM
ElKingsFan92

They'll probably just end up killing PT all together and just putting Ducks games on KDOC if they're playing at the same time as the Kings or place the Kings on KCOP if the Ducks game starts before the Kings game.

ElKingsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:35 AM
sh724

In STL Fox Sports has the contract for Both the Blues and Cardinals but they also have contracts with the Indiana Pacers, the Missouri Valley Conference (NCAA). Then there is all of the national contracts with other college conferences. They also show a lot of local sports. If there is two things going on at one time (which happens quite often), They have Fox Sports Plus which is basically just a BS channel that pretty much only has infomercials on it when Fox Sports is not using it.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKingsFan92 View Post
They'll probably just end up killing PT all together and just putting Ducks games on KDOC if they're playing at the same time as the Kings or place the Kings on KCOP if the Ducks game starts before the Kings game.
saying that games broadcsat on KDOC are pure **** is an insult to pure ****.

It would be a HUGE step backward for the Ducks to even consider broadcasting the majority of their games on KDOC. They know this as well.

It would be like the Kings being broadcast on KHJ channel 9 - back in 1977 that is.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

I've always wondered why the pairings weren't Dodgers/Kings for one channel and Angels/Ducks for the other. As it stands, it's Angels and Kings on FS West while it's Dodgers and Ducks on Prime Ticket.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
I've always wondered why the pairings weren't Dodgers/Kings for one channel and Angels/Ducks for the other. As it stands, it's Angels and Kings on FS West while it's Dodgers and Ducks on Prime Ticket.
I've wondered the same thing. Pretty stupid IMO.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Dodgers on the second channel was originally done to ensure that cable companies would carry the second channel.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
jiggsawpuzzle35

I hear the group who owns the Dodgers is looking to buy AEG. So I'm assuming if that happens the Kings would be moving to Time Warner Sportsnet or the new Dodgers network. BTW Angels/Ducks could have had their own network back in the early 2000's when ESPN West was suppose to launch. That fell through.

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post
I hear the group who owns the Dodgers is looking to buy AEG. So I'm assuming if that happens the Kings would be moving to Time Warner Sportsnet or the new Dodgers network. BTW Angels/Ducks could have had their own network back in the early 2000's when ESPN West was suppose to launch. That fell through.
The Kings have a contract with Fox Sports until 2024.

Quote:
The new deal keeps the Kings on Fox Sports West through 2024 and guarantees the team about $250 million, according to a person familiar with the agreement who was not authorized to discuss the terms.

Fox agreed to tear up the Kings' current contract, which extended through 2015 and included annual payments that topped out at about $12 million.

The new deal averages about $21 million per season. The most lucrative local cable deals pay NHL teams more than $25 million per season and the least lucrative less than $10 million, Forbes reported in December 2010.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun...ox-tv-20120604

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
MartysBetterThanYou

If Prime Ticket folds why couldn't FSW just have a second part-time feed for when the Kings and Ducks conflict, like MSG+ does with MSG2 when the Devils and Islanders conflict?

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Dodgers on the second channel was originally done to ensure that cable companies would carry the second channel.
Good point. The Angels were not a draw before 2002, so I guess they had to put the Dodgers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The Kings have a contract with Fox Sports until 2024.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jun...ox-tv-20120604

The Guggenheims could buy out one of the two Fox Sports channels, right? Kinda like how the old Fox Sports affiliates in certain regions turned into Comcast Sports channels.

Last edited by Vamos Rafa: 02-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I support this idea, if it means we don't ever have to watch a Ducks broadcast ever again on CI

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

I want my own damn network!!!!! Everyone else is doing it!

Old
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
well, the Kings and Angels were the first pair of teams on Prime Ticket (well, back when they started up it was called Prime Ticket)

Why should either of them move?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
well, the Kings and Angels were the first pair of teams on Prime Ticket (well, back when they started up it was called Prime Ticket)

Why should either of them move?

Fan connection. There are more Dodger fans that are Kings fans. There are more Angel fans that are Ducks fans. I also remember that there would be an "Angels report" during intermissions of Kings games (I'm pretty sure the Ducks' intermissions featured Dodger reports).

Old
02-28-2013, 12:36 AM
XtremeDave

Prime Ticket may still exist, but Fox Sports would have to take a major cut in the carriage fee. Between 4 pro teams, USC, UCLA, Big West Conference, high school sports and other FSN network programming, there will still be a need for 2 Fox Sports networks in Southern California. Fox just wont be able to charge nearly as much as they do now since they don't carry the Dodgers or Lakers anymore.

XtremeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Fan connection. There are more Dodger fans that are Kings fans. There are more Angel fans that are Ducks fans. I also remember that there would be an "Angels report" during intermissions of Kings games (I'm pretty sure the Ducks' intermissions featured Dodger reports).
That isn't necessarily true.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote