HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should we be surprised by Jeff Carter?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Blikian29

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Carts easily out best forward in all aspects of the game right now.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:15 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Carter is Clutch.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:45 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Haters gon hate.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:49 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

All he does is score goals... he's got 4 gwg so far

kingsfan28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:51 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
Wait until the Kings miss the playoffs and he zones out. His name will be the most frequent in the trade threads.
I'll worry about that in 10 years, thanks.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:51 AM
DeYarmond Edison
#fireholland

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Wish I had this kind of confidence in my team.

DeYarmond Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Reclamation Project
#1 Dustin Brown Fan

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
All he does is score goals... he's got 4 gwg so far
Good for FIRST in the NHL. Clutch Carter!

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cruel11
C̶l̶a̶s̶s̶y̶ Kings

But Carter only scores in blowouts!

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
instant jinx

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:57 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
Wait until the Kings miss the playoffs and he zones out. His name will be the most frequent in the trade threads.
If the kings miss the playoff it won't be his fault, not by a long shot. He's been the best forward all year

kingsfan28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:00 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
Wish I had this kind of confidence in my team.
10 years ago, you did.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:02 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Those names I listed were more of an example of Philly being a penchant for getting rid of players who wound up enjoying further success elsewhere. It's more of a classic case of how mismanaged the Flyers organization has been since the late 90s. It seems that they've been in turmoil after being swept by Detroit in '97. Then they had a brief rebuild, got back to being Cup contenders, then again decided that it wasn't good enough and repeated the same mistakes of the past.

Don't some of you find it a bit baffling as to why so many former Flyers went on to win Cups once they were dealt elsewhere? Now imagine how much better the organization had been if they had more stability and didn't go through a carousel of goaltenders and coaches and players. To me, the Flyers are one of the least stable organizations, and that starts up top with Al Davis, I mean Ed Snider, meddling in everything. It's a credit to him that they have an overpaid goaltender in net who will also be one of the long forgotten names that manned the pipes in Philly.

As far as the fans turning on players go, look at how Mike Richards was treated there. One second he's being placed on the same pedestal as Sidney Crosby, he was treated like he's the messiah, then the next second these venomous leeches accuse him of being an out of control party boy who does drugs and disrupts the locker room. And not a single shred of evidence can back up any of these frivolous rumors. What's even sillier is how Ian Laperriere stands up for these guys, and he is one of the most brutally honest and up front players to ever lace up skates. He tells it like it is and has ripped Avery to shreds for being a poor teammate. Not a single negative word was said by him towards Richards or Carter. The only proof these guys point out to is an "unnamed source." What a load of ********.
You have no clue what you are talking about.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Fropitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Always disappointing when someone writes a well written post, then a dude like this rips off a one liner and doesn't explain why..

Don't worry, I'm guilty too.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:10 AM
ShattStar03

bu bu bu Carter only scores on empty netters and blow outs! Haters keep your mouths shut!!!

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:14 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Bound to happen eventually with that many 5-on-3s.
5-on-3s are bound to happen when a player commits an obvious penalty when his team is already down a man.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropitar View Post
Always disappointing when someone writes a well written post, then a dude like this rips off a one liner and doesn't explain why..

It's to be expected from people who have nothing of substance to provide to this discussion.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Boromir Jagr*

The hate he gets over his time in Columbus is so ridiculous. The guy played injured, separated his shoulder during a rowdy game against Anaheim, broke his foot blocking a shot, and was still on pace for 30 goals while on a truly abysmal team. Yet, he whined and didn't try hard enough. Right.

I also like the complaining about his goal stats only looking good because he had two hat tricks. Wayne Gretzky had 50, should we throw out 167 of his goals?

But, people in Ohio have a huge chip on their shoulder cause of LeBron, so I guess it's no surprise they'd have an irrational hatred of Jeff Carter.

Boromir Jagr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir Jagr View Post
The hate he gets over his time in Columbus is so ridiculous. The guy played injured, separated his shoulder during a rowdy game against Anaheim, broke his foot blocking a shot, and was still on pace for 30 goals while on a truly abysmal team. Yet, he whined and didn't try hard enough. Right.

I also like the complaining about his goal stats only looking good because he had two hat tricks. Wayne Gretzky had 50, should we throw out 167 of his goals?

But, people in Ohio have a huge chip on their shoulder cause of LeBron, so I guess it's no surprise they'd have an irrational hatred of Jeff Carter.
Think they write angry letters to Jeff Carter in comic sans?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

The biggest problem Flyer fans had with Jeff Carter was consistency. In 08-09 he finished 12th in scoring. We just figured he was hitting his stride and this would be regular. Call it a fair estimation or not, this is how it was perceived. In 09-10 he was 51st in scoring, in 11-12 he was 30th in scoring. The Flyers expected him to be in the running for the top ten, or at least 20. Heck 30th isn't bad in scoring, but in the playoffs his point totals were less.

In 07-08 he had 11 points in 17 games
09-09 1 point in 6 games
09-10 7 points in 12 games
10-11 2 points in 6 games

In the playoffs the Flyers were a team that needed someone to step up. Jeff Carter did not. Neither did anyone else, but no one on the team had ever had 40 goals before, so the burden fell to the best goal scorer on the team.

Flyer fans expected near point per game. He is not that. That is not who Jeff Carter is. King fans don't expect that. I think they have more realistic expectations.

When LA fans chide Flyer fans for being disappointed, it's cause we expected more from him. He always was a good player - a bit streaky, but always a threat. I think he is able to fit in with LA better because they don't expect him to be the man every night, and the fans probably won't ride him if he goes on an 8 game goalless steak like they did and do in Philly.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Luc Robitaille ,Kings President of Business Operations (and a guy that knows a bit about goal scoring) had some high praise for Carter the other day.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/02/robit...l-can-do-that/

Choralone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Robert Theodorson

He is a great two-way player with a great scoring touch signed to a cap friendly deal.

I would give a great amount for him to be on my team, LA is very lucky to have him.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:07 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fropitar View Post

I already explained myself in the post he was responding to then he posts that drivel. Apparently Philly media is the same thing as the fans now. No one ran Richards out of town, no one expected to see him go. Are we happy with the return we got sure, Can you blame us? Hes a Leaf fan telling Flyers fans how they feel about the players that were traded away. To be quite frank I don't care about the players we trade away or how many cups they win once they aren't here. And as I said in my previous post to you, I'm sure you could pull up many teams trades over the last 10 years and point at guys that turned out better or worse once they got to a different team and won cups. Who the hell cares? All I care about is 1975 is the last cup win and as a result of those trades we have a youthful, competetive forward group for years to come.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Hes a Leaf fan telling Flyers fans how they feel about the players that were traded away. .
You have no clue what you are talking about. BAM!

He's a Kings fan

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
The biggest problem Flyer fans had with Jeff Carter was consistency. In 08-09 he finished 12th in scoring. We just figured he was hitting his stride and this would be regular. Call it a fair estimation or not, this is how it was perceived. In 09-10 he was 51st in scoring, in 11-12 he was 30th in scoring. The Flyers expected him to be in the running for the top ten, or at least 20. Heck 30th isn't bad in scoring, but in the playoffs his point totals were less.

09-09 1 point in 6 games

In the playoffs the Flyers were a team that needed someone to step up. Jeff Carter did not. Neither did anyone else, but no one on the team had ever had 40 goals before, so the burden fell to the best goal scorer on the team.
Carter never stepped his game up in the playoffs the way Briere did, or even the way Giroux did as a second year player. He did better in LA but he's also signed there till 2022, and we're quite happy with Voracek and Couturier.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post

09-09 1 point in 6 games

Flyer fans expected near point per game. He is not that. That is not who Jeff Carter is. King fans don't expect that. I think they have more realistic expectations.

When LA fans chide Flyer fans for being disappointed, it's cause we expected more from him. He always was a good player - a bit streaky, but always a threat. I think he is able to fit in with LA better because they don't expect him to be the man every night, and the fans probably won't ride him if he goes on an 8 game goalless steak like they did and do in Philly.
How many of those years was he injured?

kingpest19 is online now   Reply With Quote