HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

British TV shows

Old
02-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

vCash: 500
This was my whole early childhood right here

- ixcuincle
Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:57 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
J17 Vs Proclamation's POV is really silly (and you know he's out to lunch because he called Doctor Who an "abomination"), but I'd say there is a pretty significant pretentiousness about British TV from both UK and North American fans about the UK's inherent superiority, and it's kind of hard to take seriously when you actually look at a schedule. The crap just doesn't make it out of the UK the same way it does the US.

One thing I do love about British TV in contrast to American TV are all the variety and trivia shows with stand-up acts. QI is still my favorite.
Doctor who is the perfect example of TV stagnation. A rehashed idea whereby the acting is medicore, and the storylines are poor ; "Oh look, we're in London again!".

North Americans have this idealist view about our TV, when in reality it's very similar to your TV environment. Reality shows and useless documentaries aimed at the stupid masses are king. Our TV is definitely less patriotic in tone, but it's still largely cheap TV. We have our own subset of comedy (Sadly, less and less uality of it) and some good panel shows. Otherwise, it's the same.

US drama >>> British drama. Imaginary threats can whine through a tinted vail of patriotism (useless concept when discussing TV) but British television dramas here aren't good. I actually happen to enjoy Sherlock, but that and Doctor Who just show the constant repetition of ideas (along with detective shows) in our TV culture.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Pude

Emmerdale!

Pude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
There is a lot of crying from the some of the British blokes here.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Elever
Hth

UK sitcoms aren't funny, they're just awkward. I've tried several out but haven't caught onto a good new one since The IT Crowd ended.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
UK sitcoms aren't funny, they're just awkward. I've tried several out but haven't caught onto a good new one since The IT Crowd ended.
With talk of sitcoms you just reminded me of Not Going Out. It's not new but if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Tv is subjective, however The Might Boosh is one of the worst TV shows i've ever seen. Noel Fielding is the an abomination of a comedian. It's a niche show.

British TV is incredibly poor. The majority of my friends and myself don't watch British TV. I'm definitely a snob, but British TV is basically the perpetuation of abysmal reality TV, rehashed comedy shows and mediocre detective shows.

Most British comedy is currently slapstick nonsense, or the attempted rehashing of the Inbetweeners in a marginally different format. Shows like Fresh meat are incredibly ordinary.

Top Gear was excellent, but the past few seasons are pretty medicore, outside of road trips they all do together, which seem far more natural (if still very scripted).

Doctor Who is an abomination of a show.

Peep show is excellent, and there are a variety of excellent comedy shows from the early 2000's (Coupling for instance). However, British TV today is by and large awful.

I don't doubt American TV is similar, but at least it has some shows of undoubted quality. Shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, early seasons of Lost, The Wire etc infinitely beat any drama series on British television.

Edit ; there are watchable panel shows, although the best of those is now pretty bad due to the loss of Boyle.
You've got balls, I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way in the US.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudie View Post

Skins is amazing, watch first 2 seasons.
I'd recommend watching seasons 3 and 4 as well. Where as the finish of season two was almost "heart breaking" or more like "no, you can't end it like that!" the end of season season 4 (while not quite as good as the first two, 3 and 4 are still more than decent) is just "whoa...no way...what the f..."

UK comedy series on the classic side, Black Adder and Yes, Minister and the sequel, Yes, Prime Minister (there's clips on Youtube of both). On the very light side there's the Fast Show, which revolves mostly around several characters in their weekly skits. Some of the characters however grew so "big" and/or developed that they either got their own tv movies or spin offs. It's actually shocking how a serious tone some of the character's segments took in the later seasons.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
You've got balls, I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way in the US.
It's obvious you two are Daleks.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Knighthammer

Red Dwarf
Blackadder
Mr. Bean
Only Fools and Horses

Loving Sherlock, just wish we didn't have to wait for Series 3 in 2014

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:36 AM
villevalo

Meh most British tv shows are ok at best, I can't remember the last time I was really entertained by a show here, except the BBC adaption of the Wallander series staring Kenneth Branagh which are absolutely fantastic.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Peep Show is one of my favorite shows ever. Just so ******* witty.

got dam is *'d out? seriously?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
M00se

I know its not British, but the New Zeland produced show The Almighty Johnsons is great.

M00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Bad Education
Funny show. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 04:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Just finished Ripper Street. Loved it, thought it was very well done. Not sure which show I like better, Ripper Street or Copper but glad to hear that both will be back next season. Can't wait for season 2 of both shows!

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Daynz
What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Meh most British tv shows are ok at best, I can't remember the last time I was really entertained by a show here, except the BBC adaption of the Wallander series staring Kenneth Branagh which are absolutely fantastic.
I absolutely love that series.

Daynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Kadri 4 Hart

I like Top Gear and An idiot Abroad, but I can't really get into any of the sitcoms or the dramas.

Kadri 4 Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:14 AM
Smyth94
RIP kristians pelss

Send a message via MSN to Smyth94
In the flesh
Four years after the Rising, the government starts to rehabilitate the Undead back into the society including teenager Kieren Walker, who returns home to his small Lancashire village to face a hostile reception as well as his own demons.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2480514/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53I2_DbVUqU

Smyth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
8 out of 10 cats is amazing

08-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Karl Pilkington is my favourite man alive.
I'm bemused by you decrying the quality of nearly everything on TV in Britain then holding up Ricky Gervais' pretend simpleton friend as something worthwhile.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I'm bemused by you decrying the quality of nearly everything on TV in Britain then holding up Ricky Gervais' pretend simpleton friend as something worthwhile.
It's fake but still sometimes comical.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 10:44 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I significantly prefer Pilkington, Gervais and Merchant through the podcast medium than the Idiot Abroad show. I don't think he is entirely fake, but i think he's at his best when in a situation to converse and talk with those poking him. That itself has never really happened on British TV (HBO Gervais show isn't british ...).

I'm bemused to how you think that a singular thought/opinion on a show somehow invalidates or contradicts thoughts on multiple independent shows and a wider trend/pattern. Does my love of a singular show somehow devalue and shatter my view on other independent works? If you want to discuss/disagree with the notion that British TV is an overall bland and bad product, go ahead, rather than the ridiculous and inane garbage logic you applied above.

I haven't lived in England since December of last year and i haven't followed any British TV shows that have aired during that time, so i can't attest to the quality now, but i can sincerely say that i believe the majority of TV aired before was generally regurgitated junk. Littered with desperately poor cash cow re-generations like Doctor Who, endless and boring streams of reality tv shows, sleep worthy detective shows and a dying sit-com industry bleeding out with no ideas. British TV is pretty good for a balanced news feed, well made documentaries and a few good shows here and there, but the majority is mass-orientated mindless re-gurgitation.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:59 PM
davemess

QI is my favourite UK show at the moment.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 04:13 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

I feel like with all the raving about how amazing Doctor Who is and how it's so hugely popular and how it's been on for a hundred million years, they'd actually spend more than $30 on the special effects.

**** IS WEAK.

I do love me some Top Gear though.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess View Post
QI is my favourite UK show at the moment.
You would like 8 out of 10 cats

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote