HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Appreciation for Tyler Seguin's DEFENSIVE game.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 PM
BNHL

vCash: 500
Claude Julien-Boston Herald-Feb 28th

“The one thing I don’t want you guys to get confused about is that we don’t expect him to become a defensive player. He’s a goalscorer, he’s an offensive player, and we want him to thrive in those areas,” the coach said. “But for him to become a real good two-way player and for him to take pride at both ends of the rink is a bonus for us. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin....EJE6asU2.dpuf

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Alan Ryan

Folks here are not the only ones who are pleased with Seguin's overall play. Here's what Coach Julien had to say in an article in today's Herald:

Coach Claude Julien agreed that Seguin’s entire game has improved. “It’s been pretty impressive with the way he’s backchecked, the way he’s played defensively. (Against the Islanders on Tuesday), if he’s not there in the crease area, there’s probably a goal with the defenseman not having a stick in his hand. He’s made some nice plays,” Julien said. “But also at the other end, things are starting to come around for him. His line is producing. (Brad) Marchand is the guy that’s benefiting on a lot of those goals, but Seguin’s there too.

“He’s in those dirty spots in front of the net at times and battling. I think it’s just a matter of time (before the goals come). A lot of times when a guy starts to score, they come in bunches. There’s no doubt he’ll catch up to his numbers as far as the goal-scoring.”

While the B’s demand sound work in all three zones, Julien stressed that he’s not looking to make Seguin something he’s not. “The one thing I don’t want you guys to get confused about is that we don’t expect him to become a defensive player. He’s a goalscorer, he’s an offensive player, and we want him to thrive in those areas,” the coach said. “But for him to become a real good two-way player and for him to take pride at both ends of the rink is a bonus for us.

“He’s making a lot of things happen, he’s doing the right things in the offensive zone, and it’s just a matter of time before he starts to score. We drafted him for his offensive skills, so that’s got to continue. But as I’ve often said to the young players coming in, ‘We’re not trying to change you, but if there’s certain things we can add to your game without subtracting, you’ll benefit by becoming a better player.’ ”

Coach Julien's comments about Seguin as an offensive player should silence the critics yapping that he will ruin Seguin (and others) by forcing them to change their style. Enough already!!

Full story: http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin....qFUn470z.dpuf

Alan Ryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Wobbly Pops
Quiet, Gnashgab.

vCash: 160
Bill: thanks for this thread, good topic - much needed.

Alan: your passion for the game and this team always makes me smile.

Wobbly Pops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
Mike B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonEye View Post
What I'm seeing from Seguin right now are the same things that make Bergeron my favorite Bruin. I'd feel 100% (OK maybe 90%) comfortable with him at center right now...I just don't see the benefit with the way the team is made up. Now, pick up a guy like Alfredsson near the deadline and you could talk about Seguin between Peverly and Kelly...maybe he'd give them an offensive spark, and if not Alfie could be a 3rd line wing rather than 2nd. Options...that's what you get when a kid like this "gets it" and I think he's really starting. Good to see.
Yeah, there's no urgent need to have him at center now. However, if the B's hit a stretch where they are getting pinned in their own end by an aggressive forecheck (which has happened once in a while during Julien's tenure) shifting Seguin to center is something to consider.

Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:34 AM
KrejciMVP

I expect a big game tonight from Segs vs the Sens. 2 goals and 3 points total

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:44 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Folks here are not the only ones who are pleased with Seguin's overall play. Here's what Coach Julien had to say in an article in today's Herald:

Coach Claude Julien agreed that Seguin’s entire game has improved. “It’s been pretty impressive with the way he’s backchecked, the way he’s played defensively. (Against the Islanders on Tuesday), if he’s not there in the crease area, there’s probably a goal with the defenseman not having a stick in his hand. He’s made some nice plays,” Julien said. “But also at the other end, things are starting to come around for him. His line is producing. (Brad) Marchand is the guy that’s benefiting on a lot of those goals, but Seguin’s there too.

“He’s in those dirty spots in front of the net at times and battling. I think it’s just a matter of time (before the goals come). A lot of times when a guy starts to score, they come in bunches. There’s no doubt he’ll catch up to his numbers as far as the goal-scoring.”

While the B’s demand sound work in all three zones, Julien stressed that he’s not looking to make Seguin something he’s not. “The one thing I don’t want you guys to get confused about is that we don’t expect him to become a defensive player. He’s a goalscorer, he’s an offensive player, and we want him to thrive in those areas,” the coach said. “But for him to become a real good two-way player and for him to take pride at both ends of the rink is a bonus for us.

“He’s making a lot of things happen, he’s doing the right things in the offensive zone, and it’s just a matter of time before he starts to score. We drafted him for his offensive skills, so that’s got to continue. But as I’ve often said to the young players coming in, ‘We’re not trying to change you, but if there’s certain things we can add to your game without subtracting, you’ll benefit by becoming a better player.’ ”

Coach Julien's comments about Seguin as an offensive player should silence the critics yapping that he will ruin Seguin (and others) by forcing them to change their style. Enough already!!

Full story: http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin....qFUn470z.dpuf

It "should" silence the critics Alan, but you know as well as I do it won`t

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote