HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2013 CIS Playoffs

Old
02-27-2013, 09:06 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Both road teams took game 1 of their series tonight in the OUA...

In the East Carleton beat UQTR 4-1.

In the West Waterloo rallies from a 2-0 3rd period deficit to beat Windsor 3-2 in OT.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:28 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
Sadly yes. For whatever reason, the OUA championship doesn't seem to be a big deal. I get that it's because both finalists have always gone to the University Cup but you would think there would be more value placed on this title. But the teams must not be bothered because ever since the Quebec teams plus Ottawa joined the conference in the late 80's, the final has been one game, winner take all.
Big problem is travel for a series. Cost's too much money for a best of 3. Plus a single OUA conference is bigger than the AUS and CW. Believe me, the OUA makes a big deal out of it.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Dutch

Except for the 1st period, tonight's game between UQTR and Carleton was dominated by the Ravens. Grittier, more disciplined and more efficient, they frustrated the Patriotes with their great defensive play. Game could have been different, but Carleton made good out of two turnovers to beat Guillaume Nadeau and put the game out of hand.

I have big doubts for friday's game for the Pats. Playing in the Ice House has never been UQTR's cup of tea. They'll need a strong start to take the Ravens out of their game.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:47 AM
RED ARMY EAST

OUA finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Big problem is travel for a series. Cost's too much money for a best of 3. Plus a single OUA conference is bigger than the AUS and CW. Believe me, the OUA makes a big deal out of it.
Simple:
You have a best of 3 series, with all games in the home teams rink.
Just like the CanadaWest, with their best of 3 series.
You decide the home team based on overall record or head to head matches between the East champ and West champ.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:15 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Agreed Upei has made huge strides Forbes has done a great Job, but never forget this movement was started by Dylan Taylor who gave his heart and soul to the program. Great to see Dylan behind the bench for both games on the Island.

Speaking of assistants where has Luke Lynne's been? And how many games has Kevin Pottle been behind the bench with Unb? And I guess while I'm at it who will be the assistant coach helping for game 1 in Freddy and game 2 in Halifax?
When Kevin Pottle is behind the bench at games in Fredericton, or Dylan Taylor on the Island, there's no room for Lynes behind the bench. I've not counted how many games Pottle has been back there -- he's a volunteer and he has an open invitation from Gardiner. He often helps out at practice due to his long years of coaching experience.

My guess is that Luke will be the "default" assistant behind the bench if Pottle or Taylor aren't available/there.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:32 AM
RED ARMY EAST

UPEI vs UNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I have to give credit to UPEI as well. I thought after losing Carter and Gomes they would take a step back this year but they actually made it further (albeit only one win further but still, am improvement). They definitely seem to be on the right path to annually contend/be in the final four.
This series was extremely physical!
PEI is underrated . They are skilled, speedy and they exerted a great deal of energy by taking a physical approach to a bigger UNB team. UNB responded in a big way,with their own physical play, shutting down a speedy Island top end.
The scores 7-2,2-4,7-2 and 5-1 indicate that this UNB team is firing on all cylinders. They have size,speed, a skilled top end and back end, solid goaltending and lots of experience at Nationals.
This is a competitive conference and SMU is also a dam'n good hockey team, very well coached,which should shape up to be a tough battle to decide the AUS title.
The AUS teams will be battle hardend for Nationals, that's for sure.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
northvanman

Quote:
The travel cost makes no sense to me - teams are travelling in the first 3 rounds (some of them pretty far potentially - e.g., Toronto to Trois-Rivieres, Oshawa to Thunder Bay), so what's one more round? They could also do 3 games in one city like in the Canada West. It has never made sense to me that you go through three rounds of best-of-three's to get to the final, and then it comes down to a one-game sudden death for the championship.

Last edited by northvanman: 02-28-2013 at 08:43 AM.
northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:32 AM
SP Saskatuned

Quote:
The travel cost makes no sense to me - teams are travelling in the first 3 rounds (some of them pretty far potentially - e.g., Toronto to Trois-Rivieres, Oshawa to Thunder Bay), so what's one more round? They could also do 3 games in one city like in the Canada West. It has never made sense to me that you go through three rounds of best-of-three's to get to the final, and then it comes down to a one-game sudden death for the championship.
Also, way too many teams make the OUA playoffs! Like, 16 out of 19? C'mon, really? How about six teams qualifying from each division with the top two getting a first-round bye? You could do cross-overs after that.
In no sport at this level should a team have a better than 80 per cent chance of making the playoffs before the season even starts.
That's a joke.
Check out how many b'ball and volleyball teams make the playoffs in the Canada West, for example.

SP Saskatuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:42 AM
TFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Saskatuned View Post
Also, way too many teams make the OUA playoffs! Like, 16 out of 19? C'mon, really? How about six teams qualifying from each division with the top two getting a first-round bye? You could do cross-overs after that.
In no sport at this level should a team have a better than 80 per cent chance of making the playoffs before the season even starts.
I agree. I cannot understand why there is not a consistent format from conference to conference throughout the whole country. Put more of an emphasis on the regular season results. And get rid of best 2 out of 3 playoff series. At the very least it should be 3 out of 5

TFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:53 AM
northvanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Saskatuned View Post
How about six teams qualifying from each division with the top two getting a first-round bye?
Agree with this completely - in fact, this is the format that was in place when it was a 16 team league. In addition to too many teams making the playoffs, there's no huge benefit to finishing at the top of the standings - those 2 out of 3 series are ripe for upsets and not having to play one is a huge advantage.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Didn't Canada West used to have 6 out of their 7 teams make the playoffs??

Old
02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Simple:
You have a best of 3 series, with all games in the home teams rink.
Just like the CanadaWest, with their best of 3 series.
You decide the home team based on overall record or head to head matches between the East champ and West champ.
No one in the OUA would go for that, believe me. Especially if a Quebec team who could finish first overall in the OUA and go on the road cause they don't have the Queen's Cup championship in Quebec. Again, there is more teams in the OUA East per example than there is in CW and AUS and you could play a max 9 playoff games. Finish first or second in the other conferences, you play MAX 8 playoff games. So add Queen's Cup series and that is a HUGE disadvantage for the OUA team possibly playing 12 playoff games compared to the other conferences. Thats a lot of hockey and not enough school time, which is why these athletes go to school right?

Old
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
northvanman

Quote:
No one in the OUA would go for that, believe me. Especially if a Quebec team who could finish first overall in the OUA and go on the road cause they don't have the Queen's Cup championship in Quebec. Again, there is more teams in the OUA East per example than there is in CW and AUS and you could play a max 9 playoff games. Finish first or second in the other conferences, you play MAX 8 playoff games. So add Queen's Cup series and that is a HUGE disadvantage for the OUA team possibly playing 12 playoff games compared to the other conferences. Thats a lot of hockey and not enough school time, which is why these athletes go to school right?
Then a better approach, IMO, would be to have the top 6 in each division make the playoffs. Top 2 teams get a bye, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in a single game knockout, and then it's best of 3's the rest of the way. It is ridiculous that the conference championship comes down to a single game after playing best of 3's all the way through.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:15 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Article about some of the recent CIS games that have turned into gong shows (namely UPEI/UNB and UQTR/Nipissing) and what can be done to avoid it from happening...

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...ugly-cis-games

Old
02-28-2013, 06:38 PM
SP Saskatuned

Quote:
Didn't Canada West used to have 6 out of their 7 teams make the playoffs??
IMO, too easy back then, as well! (Better scenario now for CW hockey, don't you think?) That was then, this is now.

Now, if you check out vball and bball, roughly only half the teams make the playoffs.

In any case, 16 out of 19 for OUA hockey is weak.

SP Saskatuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:43 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I think 12 out of 19 OUA teams making the playoffs might be too low (at least when you compare it to the other conferences where 75% of teams make it)....so what about having 14 teams make it? The top seed in each conference gets a bye and then the next 6 teams make it.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
My understanding is that Dylan has work commitments on the Island, so he never/seldom travels with the team and is only in Fredericton for a few games a season. I thought last night it was a nice gesture for Gardiner to have Dylan behind the bench, seeing as the UPEI player revolt (which I suspect Jordan Knox was involved with) a few years ago caused Taylor, a former Panthers captain, to leave the hockey program. Gardiner reached out a few years ago and brought Dylan back into AUS hockey by getting him involved with UNB's recruiting.

And don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for Forbie who had absolutely nothing to do with Dylan leaving and only came on the scene after the fact.
When St Mary's played their second game on the Island, the alumni were all honoured before the game, and some old timers inducted into UPEI Hall of Fame, anyway, Dylan was there among them, all dressed up, very humble, taking part in the ceremonies, obviously he has moved on and that is good to see.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
I'm not going to sit here and say UNB are saints out there on the ice...I have been more than frustrated a number of times this season with their undisciplined play...and have a bad feeling it is going to catch up to them at a very inopportune time.

There is no place in the game for gooning it up at the very end of a game when the outcome had been determined...whether it is UNB doing it or anyone else.
True, all Gardiner said in The Guardian yesterday, was, "we push one another out there in the playoffs". Indeed.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
northvanman

Quote:
I think 12 out of 19 OUA teams making the playoffs might be too low (at least when you compare it to the other conferences where 75% of teams make it)....so what about having 14 teams make it? The top seed in each conference gets a bye and then the next 6 teams make it.
The problem with that is you end up with an odd number of teams in each division for the second round which means you need a cross over. That brings the potential for long distance travel into play, which is what the teams don't want.

With Laurentian coming back next year, it will move to 16 out of 20 (75%), assuming they keep the same format.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:21 PM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
The problem with that is you end up with an odd number of teams in each division for the second round which means you need a cross over. That brings the potential for long distance travel into play, which is what the teams don't want.

With Laurentian coming back next year, it will move to 16 out of 20 (75%), assuming they keep the same format.
My apologies if asked, is Laurentian coming into the West?

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:35 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
My apologies if asked, is Laurentian coming into the West?
They are coming east based on the rough draft schedule I saw.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:51 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:

There would be no cross-over. Take the OUA west for example....Western gets a first round bye and then 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 all play. After the first round it turns into a final four....with Western playing the lowest remaining seed and the other two series winners playing, then the winners of the 2nd round play in the OUA West final.

Basically all that is happening is you are dropping the 8th seed and giving the top seed a bye, instead of having a series between the two. After that everything is the same as now.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:49 AM
northvanman

Quote:
There would be no cross-over. Take the OUA west for example....Western gets a first round bye and then 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 all play. After the first round it turns into a final four....with Western playing the lowest remaining seed and the other two series winners playing, then the winners of the 2nd round play in the OUA West final.

Basically all that is happening is you are dropping the 8th seed and giving the top seed a bye, instead of having a series between the two. After that everything is the same as now.
Of course...math has never been my strong suit : )

I like what you've proposed better than what's in place now - but basically, anything that provides a strong incentive for finishing at the top of the standings - whether it's a first round bye or all home games, is what I'd like to see happen. The best of three series are a minefield so it makes it all the more valuable to earn a meaningful advantage based on a strong regular season.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:26 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Alberta

Heading into the CanadaWest final with Saskatchewan, coach Ian Herberssaid that "they won't get into line matching", something that they haven't done all year. They will roll 4 lines, regardless of who is on the ice. Meaning, no specific match up against the Huskies top end talent in, Bortis, Hulak,Bosch etc...
He also refers to the teams great depth this year
With a team so rich in tradition (Bears), you would assume that they would have some followers on the boards. We haven't even heard from Stauffer himself since the first half.
In regards to the University Cup, we may have a situation were UNB, Alberta could land in another pool of death, as they did in Lakehead. I can't imagine the CanadaWest final being as physical as the series that UPEI had with UNB or the one that will be played between the Eastern Huskies and the Varsity Reds. Huskies are also big and strong, and tend to rely more on a couple of lines, instead of 4.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:57 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB will either be with Alberta in the afternoon pool or the hometown Huskies in the night pool. Either way, it's going to be tough. What will be interesting is if UNB wins the AUS and Alberta wins CW. I assume Sask is opening Thursday night and usually the top seeds play opening day....will Sask risk playing UNB the first day? Or will they play the OUA team, probably win, and then get UNB on Saturday night playing their 2nd game in as many days? Certainly some gamesmanship will be at play here.