HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion II (Jackets officially to the Atlantic Division)

Old
02-27-2013, 09:48 PM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Told it's 50-50 at the moment as to whether or not PA approves realignment proposal. NHL will push hard to get it through as is. #TSN

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Good things these two groups have such a proven track record of working together.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 232
A sure fire way for the Jackets to withstand any realignment plan is to get better players. Better players means a better team, a playoff team. A playoff team means more Jacket fan fannies in the seats, a full house every night at the Arena, and a rivalry with any NHL team because we would[/B] at long last be in the playoffs year in and year out

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:10 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Don't get to envolved with this.... Quebec City and Markham will be in the East....
Exactly right which is why it's hard to get too exited. The better solution would be to go to three conferences - East, West, and Central - which was being floated about 18 months ago. That would seem to offer a longer term solution with more flexibility. At worst we would be in the central playing EST and CST games with the Wings, Blues, Blackhawks and Preds - a good group to have on our schedule.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:00 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

I like this map from Icethetics for a visual look at the proposed plan.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:38 AM
db2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
A sure fire way for the Jackets to withstand any realignment plan is to get better players. Better players means a better team, a playoff team. A playoff team means more Jacket fan fannies in the seats, a full house every night at the Arena, and a rivalry with any NHL team because we would[/B] at long last be in the playoffs year in and year out
true but the trouble with the current alignment is about so many late start times, which affects revenue and complicates viewing for hometown fans. Those things seem more important than re-alignment for the sake of "easier" competition

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Really, those two Florida teams are in the wrong division ... but, it's semantics.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Really, those two Florida teams are in the wrong division ... but, it's semantics.
I'm not pro-moving teams, but this is a situation where its like if we just plucked the Florida teams and put one in Washington State and the other in Kansas City, everything would make a lot more sense.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:03 AM
major major

Dreger reporting tonight that the players want either Columbus or Detroit kept in the West to keep the conferences at 15-15.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:50 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Anybody else see the title of this thread and think it could be about HF CBJ Board alignment? Makes me laugh everytime.

"Samkow to the West."

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Dreger reporting tonight that the players want either Columbus or Detroit kept in the West to keep the conferences at 15-15.
I'd actually prefer this as well. As long as it's Columbus. Which I assume is the hang-up. The league wants to move Columbus but Detroit wants to go, too, and has a good bit of pull. This the 16-14 plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Anybody else see the title of this thread and think it could be about HF CBJ Board alignment? Makes me laugh everytime.

"Samkow to the West."
I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear the contraction discussion that's being had, JF.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:46 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear the contraction discussion that's being had, JF.
Not to worry, DSL, as long as I'm President of HF, you always have a job in the front office.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:56 AM
EspenK

Here's an interesting article about one guy's view on how this should work.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...hl-should-wait

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:25 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Here's an interesting article about one guy's view on how this should work.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...hl-should-wait
Interesting, but Stubbits refutes his own premise when he says, "As you can see, there's no perfect solution. It's precisely why I don't understand why the NHL is doing this now. Obviously there is a need to do something." Then he offers another imperfect solution.

Realignment has never been just about convenience or perfection. It's about marketing too. The NHL has seen attendance rise when new teams come to town. We saw it in Cbus too. This realignment is another step in that direction.

Realignment is a periodic jiggling of the PR machine.

And creating two apparent slots in the West signals a desire for expansion out west. The writer's Eastern-centric Snobbery is evident. Remember when they said Columbus couldn't support a team? And for you youngsters....they said the same thing about LA, and Vancouver, and Dallas, and Tampa, and Miami. Stubbits --being a 2002 college graduate, probably doesn't know this history.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Interesting, but the guy refutes his own premise when he says, "As you can see, there's no perfect solution. It's precisely why I don't understand why the NHL is doing this now. Obviously there is a need to do something." Then he offers another imperfect solution.

Realignment has never been just about convenience or perfection. It's about marketing too. The NHL has seen attendance rise when new teams come to town. We saw it in Cbus too. This realignment is another step in that direction.

Realignment is a periodic jiggling of the PR machine.

And creating two apparent slots in the West signals a desire for expansion out west. The writer's Eastern-centric Snobbery is evident. Remember when they said Columbus couldn't support a team? And for you youngsters....they said the same thing about LA, and Vancouver, and Dallas, and Tampa, and Miami.
The same was said about Kansas City, Atlanta and Oakland. Which is apropos of nothing, but true nonetheless.

Short term, I think the 16-14 is just about appeasing both Detroit and Columbus. I think the league would like to simply swap Columbus and Winnipeg, but can't do so without angering a significant constituent in Ilitch and the Wings. Long-term, there may be hopes of expansion out west to balance the conferences, but there is significant support for a team in Quebec as well. And has the situation in Phoenix stabilized?

Anyway, to reiterate - I think the league wants to fix the Winnipeg situation, but is left with few palatable solutions.

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:51 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
The same was said about Kansas City, Atlanta and Oakland. Which is apropos of nothing, but true nonetheless.

Short term, I think the 16-14 is just about appeasing both Detroit and Columbus. I think the league would like to simply swap Columbus and Winnipeg, but can't do so without angering a significant constituent in Ilitch and the Wings. Long-term, there may be hopes of expansion out west to balance the conferences, but there is significant support for a team in Quebec as well. And has the situation in Phoenix stabilized?

Anyway, to reiterate - I think the league wants to fix the Winnipeg situation, but is left with few palatable solutions.
I don't think the league cares that much about Columbus or Winnipeg. They have 0 leverage.
("Winnipeg, you're new, suck it up". "Columbus, until you stop sucking, shut up.")

I think they want Detroit in the East for $$.
And I think they see a natural rivalry for Pittsburgh in Cbus that's going unu$ed.

And I think they want/need the expansion $$. The franchise fees, new merchandise income, and television rights for two new teams is money in the bank for both the NHL owners and the NHLPA.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
I don't think the league cares that much about Columbus or Winnipeg. They have 0 leverage.
("Winnipeg, you're new, suck it up". "Columbus, until you stop sucking, shut up.")
Based on your subsequent points (potential rivalries, TV rights), you don't think the league wants Winnipeg playing against Minnesota, Calgary and Edmonton? I didn't say those franchises have leverage, but both have alignment/travel situations that need improved.

Quote:
And I think they see a natural rivalry for Pittsburgh in Cbus that's going unu$ed.
Detroit is going to generate dollars regardless. If Columbus is inconsequential, then why this? When the Pens already have rivalries with the Caps and Flyers and to a lesser extent the Rangers?

Quote:
And I think they want/need the expansion $$. The franchise fees, new merchandise income, and television rights for two new teams is money in the bank for both the NHL owners and the NHLPA.
I don't doubt this, but the 16-14 alignment means that expansion will be targeted to the west. While there may be viable options, you've aligned yourself into a corner, so to speak, with 16-14.

Again, I believe a simple Columbus-for-Winnipeg swap would be best, but is complicated by Detroit's gravitas and desire to move east. So we get 16-14.

Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
jacketsfan77

Quote:
Not sure i agree with this. Detroit in the west is a huge draw. Moving the D to the east will give the eastern conference 5 of the O6. I am a proponent of the 4 division realignment with two eastern, one central and one western division. If, and its a big IF at this point, the nhl expands it will be in the Toronto market first.

jacketsfan77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@Aportzline: Told #CBJ would fight like hell if plan is changed to send Detroit to the Eastern Conference and keep #CBJ in Western Conference.”

02-28-2013, 09:07 AM
blahblah

Meh, we go to the East. If the players and owners approve it, I'm good. The rest of the talk really isn't relevant to me. I'm not much of a "wait on the start to align" kind of guy. If Phx does move they aren't going to the East, so it really is a moot point in IMO anyway.

If the league expands the current disparity will only be in place for a small handful of years anyway, maybe 2 or 3. No big deal. If it doesn't expand there will be an elephant in the room. I can't see them planning on leaving this in place forever.

I have no problem with stop gaps as long as teams don't have to move conferences a second time (Detroit and Columbus).

So let's just get this thing done and be done with it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
“@Aportzline: Told #CBJ would fight like hell if plan is changed to send Detroit to the Eastern Conference and keep #CBJ in Western Conference.”
Good for them. They would lose, but good for them. If it happens that way, I'll be disappointed for a good 2 or 3 hours and then move on.

The board would explode and ***** and complain for decades, but I'd be fine in a couple of hours.

A lot of the fans around the league would laugh at us, which would cause even more drama around here.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Looking at that map, selfishly I would surround Lake Erie:
Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus

Add Carolina

Add the 2 Florida teams.

It really packs the NorthEast down and splits up the Pittsburgh-Philly rivalry, but it puts more teams in "drivable" distance from Columbus.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
If the NHL were to adopt this, just moving Detroit, East, wouldn't they have to scrap the realignment and just swap Winnipeg and Detroit? Otherwise there would be 8-7 in each of the halves. There will be more infighting.

This case would make it easier to expand to one team in the East and one in the West.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Good for them. They would lose, but good for them. If it happens that way, I'll be disappointed for a good 2 or 3 hours and then move on.

The board would explode and ***** and complain for decades, but I'd be fine in a couple of hours.

A lot of the fans around the league would laugh at us, which would cause even more drama around here.
Agreed, it is what it is, God forbid we should have anymore drama than there already is.

Central would be an acceptable alternative if that's what it takes to get it done. The West Coast swings have to be addressed. The Eastern Conf Teams would still be home and home.

If it upsets people send your complaints to the NHLPA.

If the unbalance really bothers them, maybe top 2 in each division and then add the crossovers (wildcards).

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Columbus and Pitt should be in the North with DET, BUFF, TOR, etc. The regional rivalries would be more significant imo. The FLA teams would be better suited with CAR, WASH, NJ, etc.

Any move that gets us out of a conference with PST teams is a good deal for Columbus, this just isn't the best deal for Columbus.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote