HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
stan the caddy

vCash: 500
Gaborik is on pace for 33 goals(prorated 82 game season). He's also coming off of surgery and the team around him has played like crap. He is not worth complaining about at this point.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Gaborik is on pace for 33 goals(prorated 82 game season). He's also coming off of surgery and the team around him has played like crap. He is not worth complaining about at this point.
If he goes another 3 games without a goal, then he's be on pace for less than 30 goals.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
If he goes another 3 games without a goal, then he's be on pace for less than 30 goals.
And if he scores tomorrow he's on pace for 36. People need to cut him some slack.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
And if he scores tomorrow he's on pace for 36. People need to cut him some slack.
Because he isn't consistently scoring: it's too far spread out. 17 games played and he's only scored in 5. He can't go on these kind of cold streaks.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
stan the caddy

He's always been streaky. Plus we needed all three of those goals against Boston. His shot totals are slightly better than last year. He'll get his goals as long as he stays healthy. 30+ goal scorers don't exactly grow in trees.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:04 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
He's always been streaky. Plus we needed all three of those goals against Boston. His shot totals are slightly better than last year. He'll get his goals as long as he stays healthy. 30+ goal scorers don't exactly grow in trees.
Except, this is a player that's getting paid to bank in 40+ goals and tally up over 80 points. And yes, he's been streaky: one season he's a dynamo, the other he's been subpar.

Lately, he's been more of an offensive presence even when not scoring, but there were a few games where he only produced one scoring chance and then disappeared.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Except, this is a player that's getting paid to bank in 40+ goals and tally up over 80 points. And yes, he's been streaky: one season he's a dynamo, the other he's been subpar.

Lately, he's been more of an offensive presence even when not scoring, but there were a few games where he only produced one scoring chance and then disappeared.
Can we compare his salary and production to that of other high priced free agents that we've signed? He's played two of his best seasons for the Rangers. Lived up to every penny of his deal. As long as he stays healthy, this thread will get a big fat bump.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Can we compare his salary and production to that of other high priced free agents that we've signed?
That's not really indicative of anything: only that Sather overpays players who don't contribute once donning Rangers blue, unless Drury, Gomez are really one the same plane as Gaborik.

Quote:
He's played two of his best seasons for the Rangers. Lived up to every penny of his deal. As long as he stays healthy, this thread will get a big fat bump.
Hey, if he regains his scoring touch, be my guest, but so far...

Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Ola

Pts in 6 of 18 games so far this season.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

way more concerned about richards then gabby at this point. People said last night was one of his better games but he played horribly. Was practically wearing a jets jersey.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
rdhstlr23

I just want to know what happened to his great perimeter shooting/shot. He's terrible in shootouts to boot.

I'd be interested to see what he could garner in a trade, but the guy that should be dealt is Boyle. It's tough to get 30+ goal scorers like Gaborik, whether streaky or not.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Really frustrating watching this guy play...

Old
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Dangleberry

Don't worry guys he will get a hat trick in a few games and disappear again.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Pts in 6 of 18 games so far this season.
Completely unacceptable.

He's not a PKer, nor anything close to a solid 2-way shutdown guy. So for 12 games he brought absolutely nothing to the table.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Completely unacceptable.

He's not a PKer, nor anything close to a solid 2-way shutdown guy. So for 12 games he brought absolutely nothing to the table.
So much emphasis is put on his scoring. If that's all you can do, scoring 30 goals is not that important. His inability to play all facets of the game is also costing us goals. The PP might survive with one inadequate player, but having Gaborik and Richards out there together is killing us. You watch Hagelin, who is smaller than Gaborik, hustle on every play. You watch Gaborik and it's so evident that he doesn't give 100%. That's why to me he's overrated. Goal scoring is just one part of the game.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Such a better player than this board gives him credit for. He's still getting chances but the puck hasn't bounced his way. It will. He always bounces back and he's always been streaky.

I think he needs two things. A guy that can put the puck on the tape off the rush. A guy that can carry the puck out of the zone.

2 40 goal seasons don't happen by chance. This guy is a great offensive talent still.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I think I've actually noticed more of an effort from Gaborik. That isn't his game though. Gaborik isn't noticeable but when you put him on a line with Richards who is playing worse than Erik Christensen did....currently, Gaborik will have less opportunity. It's hard to have opportunities when you're centre is constantly turning it over and playing like a chicken with his head cut off in the defensive zone. They need to be split up.

Nash-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Miller-Pyatt
Powe-Boyle-Asham

Old
02-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's only had 2 in the last month though. I love the guy, trust me, I was excited when we signed him, but he needs to be more consistent. That's my main issue with him. Scoring 3-4 goals in one game and then disappearing for a month isn't exactly what i want to get from a top notch goal scorer. If he can be more consistent than he's well worth the money and definitely not eligible for "hate threads" or trade talks. But I just don't see that happening, I think he's going to continue being a ghost for 85 percent of the season and then showing up and playing like a boss the other 15%. Just too frustrating, but this is only my opinion.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Completely unacceptable.

That's the problem.

The "value" of a player scoring 70 pts for one team can basically be the same as the value of a player scoring 110 pts for another team. The game is about so much more than stats.

But with Gabby, what you get is the stats and almost nothing else and in some situations you basically get a "negative" contribution compared to the avg depth player. Gabby just has such a darn hard time really helping this team in any other way than score goals. And he also tends to score fewer goals when it really matters.

In a sense he might be the last relic of the pre-lockout game. With a redline offside rule, the D's for the defending team stepped higher up ice. You played defense in a diffrent way. Now there is a bigger distance between the forecheckers and the D's, and there are much more room for stickhandling in the neutral zone. Pre-lockout, you had no room in the netural zone but there was more room behind the D's. Hence it was common with very dangerous extremely fast wingers like Bure, Moginly, Sellanne, Bondra and co, who could beat any D in a puck race and hunt down pucks that got past the redline. Now there is just very little room to get behind a D. When we see a breakaway its almost always because someone falling or misplaying a bouncing puck or something.

This was Gabby's game. His ability to get behind D's with his super fast first step and then his ability to -- alone -- race down the ice and score. How often does he get a breakaway these days? 5 times per season?

Sure his wrister is deadly and what not, but he just isn't out there winning momentum for us.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:29 AM
Crease

He really is the least impactful 40 goal scorer I've ever seen. He'll score those 40 goals in 30 games and the rest of the time he's a complete non-factor on both sides of the ice.

I'd play out this season with the roster as is, but this off-season the Rangers have some tough choices to make. They have one more season with Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, and Gaborik under contract. They'll re-sign the first three. Gaborik is as good as gone after 13/14. They really should trade him this off-season. The question then becomes do they use their compliace buy-out at the same time on Richards, or give him one more season?

The 2013 UFA isn't that great. 2014 is better. They'll have cap space once Gaborik and Richards are off the books. Build around Callahan and Nash. By then hopefully Kreider has his head on straight and Miller/Thomas can contribute on the 2nd line. Do we go after Getzlaf/Perry this off-season? Do we wait until 2014 and try to get someone like Malkin, Kessel, Stastny, Bergeron? The Sedins will be available but I don't think you can win a Cup with them.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
He really is the least impactful 40 goal scorer I've ever seen. He'll score those 40 goals in 30 games and the rest of the time he's a complete non-factor on both sides of the ice.

I'd play out this season with the roster as is, but this off-season the Rangers have some tough choices to make. They have one more season with Lundqvist, Callahan, Girardi, and Gaborik under contract. They'll re-sign the first three. Gaborik is as good as gone after 13/14. They really should trade him this off-season. The question then becomes do they use their compliace buy-out at the same time on Richards, or give him one more season?

The 2013 UFA isn't that great. 2014 is better. They'll have cap space once Gaborik and Richards are off the books. Build around Callahan and Nash. By then hopefully Kreider has his head on straight and Miller/Thomas can contribute on the 2nd line. Do we go after Getzlaf/Perry this off-season? Do we wait until 2014 and try to get someone like Malkin, Kessel, Stastny, Bergeron? The Sedins will be available but I don't think you can win a Cup with them.
every, single, year it's the same story..

this years F/A class is mediocre, next years is great.

what happens? all the supposed "Great" talent goes off the market, then ppl say the same thing again..well, this years isnt great, but boy, next years is awesome.

when was the last time there actually was a great free agent class?

Stick with what we have. This offseason, if you can get good pieces for Gaborik, trade him, otherwise bring him back.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
He scored 2 goals in the last 13 games.

He needs to be more of a factor if this team is going to win consistently.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
UlfNilsson

And who do you plan on replacing Gaborik with? If Gaborik played for Columbus you'd be coming up with trade options to bring him here. Let it go, fickle fans.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
NYR Viper

This team will continue to be feast or famine because Richards and Gaborik do not have any effect on the game unless they are scoring. Neither can bring anything else to the table to change or create momentum. That's 14 million on the cap per season for 1-dimensional players.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He scored 2 goals in the last 13 games.

He needs to be more of a factor if this team is going to win consistently.
I think everyone agrees with this sentiment. he needs to start scoring. tonight would be a good time to start.