HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
02-27-2013, 11:43 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think with Briere his situation is different just because he and his wife split up. It has to work for both of them. She may not want to move again and who could blame her?
In the role-play on NHL Network, Weekes said, "I have to do what's right for my family." Button replied with something like, "We're confident the other franchise can offer the same benefits to you and your family that we are." It was definitely a nod to the family situation with which Briere is currently dealing.

And if Briere's kids are all that stand between his getting traded to benefit the Flyers, Ed Snider will rent Disney World for the rest of the season and playoffs.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
In the role-play on NHL Network, Weekes said, "I have to do what's right for my family." Button replied with something like, "We're confident the other franchise can offer the same benefits to you and your family that we are." It was definitely a nod to the family situation with which Briere is currently dealing.

And if Briere's kids are all that stand between his getting traded to benefit the Flyers, Ed Snider will rent Disney World for the rest of the season and playoffs.
It's not just the kids, if he and his exwife have shared custody she probably doesn't want to follow him around. It's not her responsibility anymore. It's not like they're married and she just follows him around.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's not just the kids, if he and his exwife have shared custody she probably doesn't want to follow him around. It's not her responsibility anymore. It's not like they're married and she just follows him around.
he doesnt have to move his kids.

Hes not the first rich guy with custody that has to travel for work. Im sure he can get a high quality nanny.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:35 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

This the only thing that pisses me off are these NTC NMC it handcuffs teams from dealing and Homer hands them out like candy.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:58 AM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
meh, its business...briere should say pay me my 5m (buyout) and then i get to choose whatever i want to do. He owes us no favors. Our cap issues are not his problem.
If the Flyers miss the playoffs that would be a good incentive to be traded. His cap hit is going to keep the team from improving, unless he prefers to be bought out this offseason.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
This the only thing that pisses me off are these NTC NMC it handcuffs teams from dealing and Homer hands them out like candy.
I tend to agree with you on this point. But when I do some honest, evidence based assesment of the ramifications, it's not that bad.

Richards and Carter got traded. Apparently he got Hartnell to waive for Edmonton but didn't trade him. The Gagne trade is the one place were I think we probably lost some value due to that clause. Pronger unfortunately suffered that head injury. And the Briere deal hasn't hurt us really given his play-off resume. The Bryz deal the book is still out on, but he's playing well for the moment. I think he gave a limited NTC to Lupul and JVR also, but dealth both before they kicked in.

So by my reckoning that's a lot of NMC's handed out and really only minimal damage (a lessened return in the Gagne trade and maybe a little trouble with Bryzly Bear down the road). I guess it's worth nothing that the three biggest, Briere, Bryz and Pronger are still on the books. If I recall Hartnell got a limited NTC in his new deal also, but he's shown a willingness to waive it in the past if asked. All told it's not looking like they've bitten Holmgren that badly just yet.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:19 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Richards and Carter got traded.
Their clauses had not yet taken effect.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
If the Flyers miss the playoffs that would be a good incentive to be traded. His cap hit is going to keep the team from improving, unless he prefers to be bought out this offseason.
The Flyers not improving is not Danny Brieres problem.

Missing the playoffs isn't that much incentive for him to ask for a trade, let's be honest, we are not
A cup favorite/serious contender anyway.

buyout is completely a better option for Danny, not for the flyers.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
buyout is completely a better option for Danny, not for the flyers.
How so? With a buyout he'll get 2/3 of his remaining salary then signed to a minimum salary contract like Redden and Gomez. He'll actually lose a little bit of money.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:01 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
How so? With a buyout he'll get 2/3 of his remaining salary then signed to a minimum salary contract like Redden and Gomez. He'll actually lose a little bit of money.
Briere is definitely worth more than ~1 mil as a free agent. He's nowhere near as bad as Redden or Gomez

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Briere is definitely worth more than ~1 mil as a free agent. He's nowhere near as bad as Redden or Gomez
Yeah. He probably won't get the big bucks but it will definitely not be a pittence.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
If he wants to sign with a bad team, he could probably get 4 mil.

If he wants to sign with Bos or Chi for minimum salary to cup chase..he can.

If he allows us to trade him, his NMC is gone (new team doesn't have to honor). Say we trade him to bos, he goes on a cup run for them, and then in the offseason they trade his cap hit to the islanders for cap floor help...he gets 2 yrs on the isle padding their floor.

Much better to be bought out and have your choice of destination/contract for the twilight of his career.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
If he wants to sign with a bad team, he could probably get 4 mil.

If he wants to sign with Bos or Chi for minimum salary to cup chase..he can.

If he allows us to trade him, his NMC is gone (new team doesn't have to honor). Say we trade him to bos, he goes on a cup run for them, and then in the offseason they trade his cap hit to the islanders for cap floor help...he gets 2 yrs on the isle padding their floor.

Much better to be bought out and have your choice of destination/contract for the twilight of his career.
So teams knowing that his final two years of salary were $3m then $2m respectively, they're going to give him $4m on top of his buyout? Never happen.

And with his NMC, he holds all the cards. In order to be traded he can demand whatever he wants from the Flyers and his new team. So he can demand a NMC from the team trading for him or he stays put in Philly.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
whskybarJM

keep him.

I do no see the interested teams giving up the Dmen I would want. They would have to throw in picks or more players.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:36 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
So teams knowing that his final two years of salary were $3m then $2m respectively, they're going to give him $4m on top of his buyout? Never happen.
Someone would pay him...absolutely. if he is a UFA he's a UFA, nobody cares what check we have to write him.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Why wouldn't they? They aren't paying the buyout. Briere is still a good player. He may not get $4 million (though I could see it), there is no reason he wouldn't get in the $3 million range. The only way he doesn't get some actual money is if no one is interested in him, which would be highly unlikely. If there are two teams interested, there is no reason they are going to low-ball him and hope the other team doesn't. They may try to use his buyout as a bargaining chip, but if Briere has an agent with half a brain and more than one team interested in him, teams will pay for his services.

If the new team had to pay the buyout themselves, then I would agree with you, but since the Flyers would be covering that, it is silly to think that teams would for some reason offer him less than what he is worth because he is getting paid by someone else. If Briere wants to play for a certain team, I could see him accepting less than another team because of the money he'd be getting elsewhere, but its not like teams are going to come in and offer him peanuts because he is getting paid by the Flyers.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:29 AM
RoDu

We have no choice but to move him, one way or another. We need that cap space

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
We have no choice but to move him, one way or another. We need that cap space
That's what I say.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:17 AM
JayB

I think Blues or Buffalo would be perfect trade partner for Briere. Both those teams have what we want (Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk/Myers), but we have to add always. I dont want to lose our first pick and not our prospects. And we need capspace too.

I would try bigger trade, little upgrade defensive+ little downgrade offensive. Something like Briere+(Coburn/Meszarov)+ <-> (Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo)+(Stewart/Sobotka/Oshie) or Myers+(Stafford/Ott/Foligno).

The other way is to deal Briere for prospect and/or pick(1st or 2nd).

Briere(+) <-> (Cole/Schmaltz)+1st or (McCabe/McNabb)+1st

Things or ideas how to get this working both ways ?

JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I think Blues or Buffalo would be perfect trade partner for Briere. Both those teams have what we want (Pietrangelo/Shattenkirk/Myers), but we have to add always. I dont want to lose our first pick and not our prospects. And we need capspace too.

I would try bigger trade, little upgrade defensive+ little downgrade offensive. Something like Briere+(Coburn/Meszarov)+ <-> (Shattenkirk/Pietrangelo)+(Stewart/Sobotka/Oshie) or Myers+(Stafford/Ott/Foligno).

The other way is to deal Briere for prospect and/or pick(1st or 2nd).

Briere(+) <-> (Cole/Schmaltz)+1st or (McCabe/McNabb)+1st

Things or ideas how to get this working both ways ?
You aren't going to get that type of return for Briere. The most I could see would be Ian Cole straight up

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
nuclear reactor

Briere and Coburn for Pietrangelo and Stewart is nothing short of delusional.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Don't know if this has been discussed or if it's even allowed under the CBA, but what if they signed him to a new deal, maybe add another year and lower his cap hit that way?

FlyersProspect2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:42 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersProspect2 View Post
Don't know if this has been discussed or if it's even allowed under the CBA, but what if they signed him to a new deal, maybe add another year and lower his cap hit that way?
All that would do is give him a new contract when this one ends. And I don't think an extension is even allowed until the last year of a contract anyway. This isn't the nfl where you can restructure.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Qyburn

God I hate the cap.

I hate the cap almost as much as I hate the Penguins.

Almost.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
You aren't going to get that type of return for Briere. The most I could see would be Ian Cole straight up
I think we might be surprised by the return. He is not a rental as he has 2 more years left on his contract. In a normal year, I would say a late 1st plus a decent prospect but with this draft being so good, I think something like a 2nd rd pick + Schmaltz would be reasonable. If he is willing to go to multiple teams that want him, there could be a nice bidding war but I doubt you would get any decent roster players; it would defeat the purpose of acquiring him for a playoff run.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote