HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Why do YOU think the Wild cannot score

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-24-2013, 12:21 PM
  #101
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy0ne View Post
Yeo's line juggling is hindering the development of chemistry. That combined with limited training camp for all these new players shows IMO.
This is definitely part of it.

I also agree with an above post that discusses how the Wild have greater skill than last year, because we do.

We need to grind out some, definitely, and crash the net and all that, but the fact that we cannot do a better job of this with better skill, is more than a little disturbing.

It's also concerning that half our players on most nights just don't show up.

We have way way way too many turnovers, and our passing still is very sloppy at times. You can also tell many of the guys don't feel comfortable playing with their partners because we still get so many errant passes and just overall bad decisions because the players are not reading each other well.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:37 PM
  #102
WildisLaw
Just win, baby
 
WildisLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Napa Valley, Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,291
vCash: 500
It's his system. It's clear as day. Go watch Nashville/Detroit from last night. Those teams carry the puck into the offensive zone every single time. We are better than those teams, yet we can't score. I wonder why? Dump and chase is losing hockey, an uphill battle for 60 minutes. How do you not realize it as a professional coach? The players don't want to play that way either, that's why they haven't played a 60 minute game yet.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:07 PM
  #103
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,874
vCash: 500
We can't score because the majority of the players on this team can't shoot:

(1) Koivu was known more of a two-way forward and his skating was sub-par. He wasn't know like Granlund to have an underrated shot. He just was bad at shooting and was limited offensively.

(2) PMB was never a shooter either. Plus his brain is scramble. But he was more of the guy to set up the play.

(3) Heatley is just aging and it doesn't help we don't have elite play makers.

(4) Setoguchi is like Heatley, he needs an elite play maker to make plays.

(5) Cullen, Brodziak, Clutterbuck, Rupp, Konopka are just grinders/guys that never were known for scoring.

(6) Granlund needs time as does Zucker and Coyle.

Parise is the only guy that can score, so teams can zero in on him.

Defensively we have a lot of great two-way guys but not great offensively.

As for the system, it's not Yeo losing the pucks or the foot races.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:46 PM
  #104
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
It's his system. It's clear as day. Go watch Nashville/Detroit from last night. Those teams carry the puck into the offensive zone every single time. We are better than those teams, yet we can't score. I wonder why? Dump and chase is losing hockey, an uphill battle for 60 minutes. How do you not realize it as a professional coach? The players don't want to play that way either, that's why they haven't played a 60 minute game yet.
agreed here. last game on saturday against calgary wild had an amazing 1st period. funny to hear mike greenlay say why the wild did well : "the wild used their speed and carried the puck into the zone". I just dont get why we dont do this as a team, just skate it in. play hard every shift. we are just coasting out there bringing the puck up the ice. I've watched chicago a lot this year, and all they do is carry it into the zone 9/10 times. they hustle and skate hard, they utilize their speed.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:20 AM
  #105
TropicalFruitGirl2
Registered User
 
TropicalFruitGirl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Hello everyone...new to the boards, obviously, and many great points made on this thread...I will throw in my thirty nine cents, and some of my opins may overlap with stuff already said.

First, I want to say transition defense.
Outside of Ryan Suter, no one on the Minnesota defense seems to be able to make that smart, quick pass so that the forwards can be on their merry way WITH speed towards the opponent's zone.
Not saying the other D-man CAN'T do that, just that right now, for whatever reason, they aren't.
Minny forwards have a tough time penetrating the zone with any velocity...way too easy for the other team to set up, plan, and shut down the forwards.

Second, despite the talent on the team, Minnesota still has too many 'muckers' and 'grinders' using up primo ice time...and when those scoring chances come up (and Minny DOES get lots of them), they seem incapable of putting the finish on them.
More specifically, guys like Matt Cullen and Kyle Brodziak.

I tell you...I am TIRED of seeing some partial breakaway for MN, some defensive breakdown by the opposition, an odd man rush, I get all excited about it....only to realize it's Kyle Brodziak leading that charge and that scoring opp will most likely fail....just as an example.

PM Bouchard, by no means a grinder, is a strict perimeter shooter, and he really doesn't work well if he isn't combined with big guys who can create space for him...oh, and it would help TREMENDOUSLY if Bouchard would actually pot a puck whenever he has a clear shot....too many near chances that he simply doesn't bury.

Third, team chemistry. Plain n simple. Lots of new faces, no one had a proper training camp/exhibition season, the season IS rushed, and lots of young promising players still getting their NHL legs.
There is just no way around that.
Guys like Zucker, Granlund, Brodin, Coyle....they should all have very good NHL careers...some even great...but right now, they are still adjusting to NHL speed and talent.
They are doing pretty well given the circumstances, but it is understandable if they and some of the other players on the team who aren't used to one another struggle to work as one.
I think hockey, more than the other three major team sports in North America, relies on good team chemistry in addition to talent and execution to make a champion.
Wild are still working towards that.

Finally, I too don't know a ton about coaching a pro team, but I have started to wonder whether Coach Yeo IS putting his players in the best possible situations to win.
Is his 'system' suited to these players he has? Is he too rigid in asking players to 'buy into' something that perhaps they are not best built to play?
Not sure.
I just find it really odd that despite the new faces, the increase in talent, the end result on offense is woefully the same as last season.
And yes, I know execution is a big part of it......but what I wonder is, are what the players trying to execute for the coach the best thing for them?

Not saying Coach Yeo should be fired, but if this hapless offense continues, let's just say, it wouldn't surprise me if he was replaced.

TropicalFruitGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:22 AM
  #106
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,782
vCash: 500
Welcome! Good post.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
  #107
TropicalFruitGirl2
Registered User
 
TropicalFruitGirl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Welcome! Good post.
Thank you much..

Just discovered you guys, hoping to be able to call this board a real hockey home for my online time.

TropicalFruitGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
  #108
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,598
vCash: 1527
I would actually prefer Cullen on a breakaway over almost any other Wild player.

Otherwise, good post.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
  #109
THEALLKNOWING*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tripoli, Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
Organization wide this is a problem..CREATING OFFENCE.
In Minnesota, Heatley, Parise, Bouchard, Seto, Koivu, Granlund etc etc are all based on their body of work in their careers are under performing offensively.
In Houston, Bulmer,Phillips, Fontaine, Rau etc etc are in the same boat. All with a great track record of being able to creat offence--even guys like Peterson when you compare what he had done in other stops in the AHL, are not doing what is expected.
Watched Houston , Friday night and Minny last night, and counted 87 times with full control of puck in the neutral zone, they turned over possesion by dumping the puck in......
Watched Montreal the other night, a real puck control team---intersting to see the difference.
Thoughts, opinions ??
Granlund has no body of NHL work. Mikko's ppg are right on-top of his NHL career stats. The rest are under-performing including Parise.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
  #110
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalFruitGirl2 View Post
Hello everyone...new to the boards, obviously, and many great points made on this thread...I will throw in my thirty nine cents, and some of my opins may overlap with stuff already said.

First, I want to say transition defense.
Outside of Ryan Suter, no one on the Minnesota defense seems to be able to make that smart, quick pass so that the forwards can be on their merry way WITH speed towards the opponent's zone.
Not saying the other D-man CAN'T do that, just that right now, for whatever reason, they aren't.
Minny forwards have a tough time penetrating the zone with any velocity...way too easy for the other team to set up, plan, and shut down the forwards.

Second, despite the talent on the team, Minnesota still has too many 'muckers' and 'grinders' using up primo ice time...and when those scoring chances come up (and Minny DOES get lots of them), they seem incapable of putting the finish on them.
More specifically, guys like Matt Cullen and Kyle Brodziak.

I tell you...I am TIRED of seeing some partial breakaway for MN, some defensive breakdown by the opposition, an odd man rush, I get all excited about it....only to realize it's Kyle Brodziak leading that charge and that scoring opp will most likely fail....just as an example.

PM Bouchard, by no means a grinder, is a strict perimeter shooter, and he really doesn't work well if he isn't combined with big guys who can create space for him...oh, and it would help TREMENDOUSLY if Bouchard would actually pot a puck whenever he has a clear shot....too many near chances that he simply doesn't bury.

Third, team chemistry. Plain n simple. Lots of new faces, no one had a proper training camp/exhibition season, the season IS rushed, and lots of young promising players still getting their NHL legs.
There is just no way around that.
Guys like Zucker, Granlund, Brodin, Coyle....they should all have very good NHL careers...some even great...but right now, they are still adjusting to NHL speed and talent.
They are doing pretty well given the circumstances, but it is understandable if they and some of the other players on the team who aren't used to one another struggle to work as one.
I think hockey, more than the other three major team sports in North America, relies on good team chemistry in addition to talent and execution to make a champion.
Wild are still working towards that.

Finally, I too don't know a ton about coaching a pro team, but I have started to wonder whether Coach Yeo IS putting his players in the best possible situations to win.
Is his 'system' suited to these players he has? Is he too rigid in asking players to 'buy into' something that perhaps they are not best built to play?
Not sure.
I just find it really odd that despite the new faces, the increase in talent, the end result on offense is woefully the same as last season.
And yes, I know execution is a big part of it......but what I wonder is, are what the players trying to execute for the coach the best thing for them?

Not saying Coach Yeo should be fired, but if this hapless offense continues, let's just say, it wouldn't surprise me if he was replaced.
Welcome!
Nice post as well

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  #111
THEALLKNOWING*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tripoli, Lebanon
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 403
vCash: 500
Some on here talking about both speed, and skating ability. Remember, it is a short-burst game. Smaller players are obviously going to going to look, and may actually be faster in shorter-bursts. At full stride, there may be no difference. For example, players like Mikko and Heatley could be at least 30 lbs heavier than say a Parise or a Cullen.

Best skaters on the team are likely defenseman, particularly Suter and Brodin. Falk and Stoner much bigger, but look clumsier. On the front-end, look at some of those who play the PK. At the same time, they may be on the PK because of their stickwork, more than skating.

THEALLKNOWING* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
  #112
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
Some on here talking about both speed, and skating ability. Remember, it is a short-burst game. Smaller players are obviously going to going to look, and may actually be faster in shorter-bursts. At full stride, there may be no difference. For example, players like Mikko and Heatley could be at least 30 lbs heavier than say a Parise or a Cullen.

Best skaters on the team are likely defenseman, particularly Suter and Brodin. Falk and Stoner much bigger, but look clumsier. On the front-end, look at some of those who play the PK. At the same time, they may be on the PK because of their stickwork, more than skating.
What are you talking about? There are plenty of big guys with speed out their too, just not on our team. What is your point? That we are a slow team up front and if so I guess I'd agree.

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.