HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Draft 2013

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
zytz
lumberjack

vCash: 500
I've had like 4 scotches tonight so is cant remember his name, but there's a Finnish D prospect I like... Ristolainen maybe? Can't remember if that's him or not, but he played in the WJC

Old
02-27-2013, 12:18 AM
massivegoonery

Hawks would have to tank pretty hard from here on out to grab him.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

yep, guy will be gone around #10 overall

Old
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yeah, Ristolainen should go top-10 and is pretty mch a lock for the top-15. If, somehow, Chicago managed to get him, I'd be stoked.. but it's not at all likely.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:29 AM
LandofLincoln

Let's say we get the #30 pick as our 1st rounder in 2013. I would rather trade down and pick between #38-#45 and try to pick up a 3rd round pick as well.

So trade our late first rounder and pick up a high second rounder in 2013 and maybe a mid third round pick. If we can't agree with a team on a third rounder this year then we get the option for a 3rd rounder in 2014.

Unless we get a steal at #30 we should move down in the draft.

If we did move up something like this

I wouldn't mind sending our first rounder and McNeill to Calgary if they are slotted near the #10 spot. Throw in choice of Lalonde, Paradis or a 6th rounder.

Last edited by LandofLincoln: 02-27-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Throw in choice of Lalonde, Paradis or a 6th rounder.
that's really the difference between the other team agreeing and not

Old
02-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

If we draft in the 25-30 range, I think it would be a good idea to trade down unless a TT type falls. A lot of sweet prospects in the top 15, but after that it's pretty meh. 25-30 for 40 + 70 could be wise.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

I dont want the Hawks to trade down even if their pick is #30 not to mention their success rate in the second round. Outside of the top 7 (or 10) picks, this draft its now considered by several to be thin going down. Even if the Hawks get a future (2014), cant say if 2014 will be any better than this year.

Bad memories trading down. Only a few were here to remember Remi Royer in 1996. Great job by the Hawks draft brain trust. No one among the Hawks draft brain trust is still around sans Dumas.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Interesting speculation about the depth of this years draft class.

Link
I swear this happens every time people say "this is the deepest draft since <last deep draft>"

It's all hype at the start of the year, but by draft day, the draft just isn't considered that deep anymore.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
hawksfan50

IF the Hawks draft in the 25-30 range I think it depends on who is still on the board that they like rather than a simple "strategy" move to trade down for an extra pick (we have no 2nd or 3rd rounders of our own this drsaft) ..

ALSO the question of whether they get a shot at the #1 or #2 goalie they have on their own ranking list...BUT drafting goalies with your first and only pick is risky and that depends on whether they actually believe Mac Carruth is "the goalie of the future" or not --prior to this season NONE of the Hawks drafted goalie prospects were viewed by the consensus "experts" as the next great goalie prospect of an elite projection -so we MIGHT get an oppoortunity to grab the first or 2nd goalie to be taken in this draft and those usually are thought to have possible elite potential ...OR they could trade down into round two and take a goalie at that spot -perhaps the 3rd or 4th goalie taken in the draft -it is supposed to be a good draft for goalies ..the consensus has ZACHARY FUCALE expected to be the top goalie taken and is expected to go in round one (but I myself am skeptical he is the best of the crop --he may be of the board anyway by the time our slot comes up in round one...3 goalies are expected to go at least before round two is over ---Eric Comrie,Spencer Martin and Tristan Jarry --possibly also the top rated euro goalie Juuse Saros,and maybe even Phillipe Desrosiers is snapped up before round two is over --if the Hawks are happy landing any of these goalies maybe they trade down into round two -but IF they really like one specific goalie of this bunch and he is there for their pick in round one maybe they do not take the risk he will stillbe there if they trade down into round two? AGAIN -this whole grab a goalie thing is moot IF they truely believe we have an elite goalie prospect already in the pipeline..
You can't argue with Carruth's exceptional season this year for Portland (WHL)-but they are a top team and he doesn't face a barrage of shots on most nights -so this performamce has to be tempered with the issue of whether it is his improvement or the team's dominance providing him with such opportunity to put up great save % and GAA stats...

The problem with FUCALE is that he plays for Halifax the top and dominating team in the Q and yety his save% stats are only at a .905 save % and facing only 24.3 shots per game-hardly a barrage every night ...

Eric Comrie had a .915 save % before injury put him out for the season in mid-season--so scouts willnot have the 2nd half of this season to judge his development as to whether he improved or not..

Tristan Jarry is very interesting -absolutely great stats .932 save% and just a 1.69 save % and 6 Shut-outs--BUT he is only the back-up in Edmonton (WHL) and so has only played in 24 games and also behind a very good EDM team and alkso not facing a barrage of shots against each night (22.58 shots per game) ...

So all 3 of these goalieprospects present some big risks...Spencer Martin has a ,908 save% facing a bit over 29 shots a game ...

My hunch is that JARRY might still be so very good even if he started more games and faved more shots -if i was to take the risk I'd speculate on that hunch that he will emerge as the best from this crop...

The drawback on SAROS--the top eurogaoalie is that he is only 5'10 181-he has a .933 save% and a stingy 1.83 GAA in 29GP for his jr. team in Finland (HPK U-20) and a .921 save% and 2,.45 GAA in interational play for Finland at the U-18 level in 9GP this season and a preetty long history of being good in earlier stages up the youth leagues to the u-20 team lervel ...

ANYWAY--all this is moot IF the Hawks think they already have a goalie of the future in the system already OR are willing to postpone taking a goalie as a 1st or 2nd rounder till next year or the year after...

So IF that is the case-THEN it depends on who remains on the board in their pick slot that late in the first round (25-30) ..

For instance IF MADISON BOWEY (RD Kelowna WHL) is still there -rated #22 NA skater by Central Scouting at mid-term -they can hardly afford to not grab him ASAP ...He is the best skaing D-man in the draft and a 2-way type --they would be crazy to pass on him ...OR Maybe LD CHRIS BIGRAS (Owen Sound OHL)another good 2-way D prospect ..OR if they are gone perhaps IAN MCOSHEN Waterloo WHL another good 2-way D prospect ...Any of these 3 d-men would be a great pick in the 25-30 slots...

As for forward --JIMMY LODGE the 6'2 165lb (to start the year) C for Saginaw has become a riser since being put on Saginaw's first line and now piling up points with Saginaw vets GARRET ROSS (a Hawks draft pick) and ERIC LOCKE (undrafted) ...one can surmise that when Lodge asdds weight and gets stonger he could be a very good pick to take projecting what he might become as he matures..He is a fluid skater and very skilled...

ANTHONY MANTHA I doubt lasts that late --but he has a tremendous release and shot --a big QMJHL forward who can snipe ..skating is the issue..

So there are some other than goalie targets I'd like the Hawks to consider for that first pick ...
So there are other choices..

Old
02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

this year looks perfect to take a goalie high if we trade down. I wouldn't be against punting this draft tbh

Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I've had like 4 scotches tonight so is cant remember his name, but there's a Finnish D prospect I like... Ristolainen maybe? Can't remember if that's him or not, but he played in the WJC
Yeah, love him too, would move the next two 1sts for the pick to get him but it probably still wouldn't be enough.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:08 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I didn't realize he was supposed to go so high in the draft. Admittedly I don't follow prospects heavily, but I had usually seen him in the 18-30 range so far.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I didn't realize he was supposed to go so high in the draft. Admittedly I don't follow prospects heavily, but I had usually seen him in the 18-30 range so far.
Well, after what happened last year with the D-men all going so high, i think people writing up mocks are considering that, not that RR isn't a great prospect.

Old
02-28-2013, 06:54 AM
unbridledid

I just noticed the Blue Jackets have three firsts this year (their own, Rangers for Nash, and the Kings for Carter)...

Old
02-28-2013, 09:36 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridledid View Post
I just noticed the Blue Jackets have three firsts this year (their own, Rangers for Nash, and the Kings for Carter)...
Yep, there are going to be in good shape and should be a playoff contender in a couple years. They've got to be loving the Kings and Rangers this year. Even if they play better in the second half, the damage has been done and the Jackets are getting two picks that will be as high as they could have hoped.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:41 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I swear this happens every time people say "this is the deepest draft since <last deep draft>"

It's all hype at the start of the year, but by draft day, the draft just isn't considered that deep anymore.
HF start of year: 'This is the deepest draft ever'!
HF end of year: 'This draft is really deep right up to (insert poster's favourite team pick position)!' - team in lottery...or 'This draft is terrible and there's no impact players this year!' - team not in lottery/no 1st rounder

Old
02-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

I've seen the same things.

Ironically - the one year that the draft was supposed to be weak all along, 2011...it looks like it may have been the strongest draft in recent years. Certainly for the Hawks, but overall too. I remember when Washington traded #26 to the Hawks for Brouwer - some Caps fans were saying it was because their GM said he didn't like anyone in the draft.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
coldsteelonice84

That's alarming that McPhee would say at 26, he couldn't find anyone he thought was going to turn into a good player. What a boob.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

In the four previous years, Washington was eliminated in the first twice and eliminated in the second round twice, last being 2010. I assume McPhee was willing to sacrifice a low first round pick for a player to play immediately hoping to go further in the playoffs.

2011, Washington didnt draft until the fourth round so they basically chucked that years draft. Speed bump in the prospect pipeline. Gambled on going further in the playoffs and it didnt work out.

Probably regretting it now.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:36 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
That's alarming that McPhee would say at 26, he couldn't find anyone he thought was going to turn into a good player. What a boob.
Alarming, but not at all surprising considering that it's McPhee.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
In the four previous years, Washington was eliminated in the first twice and eliminated in the second round twice, last being 2010. I assume McPhee was willing to sacrifice a low first round pick for a player to play immediately hoping to go further in the playoffs.

2011, Washington didnt draft until the fourth round so they basically chucked that years draft. Speed bump in the prospect pipeline. Gambled on going further in the playoffs and it didnt work out.

Probably regretting it now.
..They took Forsberg and Wilson in 2012 in the first round, so I doubt he regretted the trade ... Now if Danault is as good as I hope he will be then that is a different story.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, also don't forget the Varlamov trade was made official shortly after the draft, so he had probably already counted on having those extra picks (remember, they got a 2nd back in that deal too). Nevertheless, just say you wanted Brouwer, don't say you made the trade because there wasn't anyone left at 26.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

When Danault enters the league, I feel the need to throw this into the Caps fans faces that we got a great steal out of that trade while their team hasn't even made it to the SC Finals and is stuck with OVs contract

Old
03-03-2013, 09:03 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Chicago's drafting Jordan Subban with their 1st round pick this summer.

Quote:
@@BrianHedger
Spotted in #Blackhawks room after game: Garret Ross, LW, Saginaw Spirit, CHI 5th rd pick last yr. He's from Dearborn Heights, Mich
Quote:
@BrianHedger
Also taking in the scene near #Blackhawks room; D Jordan Subban, Belleville Bulls, draft eligible youngest Subban brother.
He's 6th in OHL Dman scoring with 49 points in 61 games. He's listed at 5'09" and 177Lbs. Great skater and puck-mover. Plays alot like his brother, though not as big and not as physical (from what I've seen).

Or, maybe I'm reading too much into it..

Closed Thread