HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Latendresse watch thread

Old
02-28-2013, 01:05 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
no, you were right. Not sure why i remembered that.
Quote:
layers who are "400-plus game
Players" for pension purposes, and who: (i) in the
last year of their most recent SPC, spent 100 days or
more on the injured reserve list; and (ii) have signed
a one-year SPC for the current or upcoming League
Yea
if they pro-rate this season (i assume they would), lats could still be eligible next year depending on when he comes back.

a normal season is 184+ days, so 100 days would be 54.3% of the season.
54.3% of the 99 day season is ~54 days.

he played his last game on the 30th, so assuming he was put on IR retroactive to the 31st of january (tsn shows he was put on IR on the 5th of feb, but they normally do it retroactive to the day after the last game played) he has to stay on IR until around the 26th of march to be eligible for performance bonuses next year.

Last edited by danishh: 02-28-2013 at 01:10 AM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:23 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

vCash: 500
At this rate, his NHL career is done IMO.

He'd just as well have some fun in Europe instead...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

Too bad for him. I thought he had more scoring chances than anybody else in the first 4-5 games but just couldn't burry one.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:28 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Sens staff seem to be masters at keeping things mum. Before you knew it, Zibanejad was playing. Last game, a wild Regin appeared.
I caught Regin in a pokéball

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

I want the guy to get better. For his cap, provided he gets healthy, he is a good injection of size and skill. Doesn't seem to be a bad teammate either. Cheerleads the team on twitter, so he can't be that bad.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
We could have used a healthy Latendresse... It seems that not many on this board have seen what a healthy Latendresse can do with good opportunity...

And please don't think it was a healthy Latendresse" in the first 6 games this year. Not much of a training camp, new team, didn't play much in 2 years...

Small hope that he has time to come back this year, stay healthy and we give him another chance next year. Or it will be with another team.

The only question is a Regin/Petersson one, can he remain healthy long enough to prove his worth?

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:03 AM
operasen

If he does come bacxk next year my concern is he is not viable in our Top 6 (rather have Silfverberg) and I do not want to push out one of our current Bottom 6 that are developing quite well.

Spezza, Michalek, Silfverberg, Alfredsson, Turris are pretty much set in the Top 6

Zibanejad, Neil, Smith, Greening, Condra, O'Brien, Daugavins, Regin and even Dizzy are doing really well in the Bottom 6.

And we haven't even seen Hoffman and Stone yet. Noesen may also be in the mix who knows.

I like the "cheerleader" guy in him, but the on-ice contribution was minimal at best.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Indrew

Healthy Latendresse
Happy Birthday
Merry Christmas

All oxymorons. False hope isn't good for the soul.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Skill.

You don't get guys with his skill for his cap hit very often, and when you do, it's because he's got warts in his game somewhere else.
In Latendresse's case, that wart is severe injury issues.

I have no doubt that if Latendresse gets healthy at some point this season, he'll get another shot on a scoring line. If it doesn't work out, well, we're out almost nothing.

At the end of the day, what are we out if Latendresse doesn't work out for us? I'd love to take chances on guys like Latendresse every year, provided they are a good fit in the locker room. A million bucks isn't much in today's NHL.

Best case scenario: you get a top-6 player on a ridiculously undervalued contract.
Worst case scenario: it doesn't work out, and you're out nothing for your troubles.

I'll welcome Latendresse back with open arms if he can get healthy and his head is in the right spot.

It's at least worth trying, though. We have been using Erik Condra on our top line this year.
Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Condra, but I think that fact speaks for the fact that we have very few skill guys on this team right now.
Latendresse may have puck skill, but the main skill required to play hockey in today's NHL is skating.

GL was never fast, but now he gives me the impression he labours at it, leads me to believe he is too heavy and possibly not in great condition.

Last week I read he was sent to a doctor in the States to get an additional opinion on his injury due to his lack of progress.

So all things considered it wouldn't surprise me if GL has played his last game this season and I can't believe Murray will offer him a another contract.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:28 AM
OD99

I don't know that Latendresse was out of shape but I am sure he wasn't in game shape. All players mention how you can train and practice as hard as possible but it just doesn't compare to playing.

I saw many good things from Latendresse...from some scoring chances to some very aggressive hits and some great work down low in the offensive zone. With any luck he would have had 2 or 3 goals before he was out.

If he can possibly get healthy this season he would be a great addition to the top 6.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
We could have used a healthy Latendresse... It seems that not many on this board have seen what a healthy Latendresse can do with good opportunity...

And please don't think it was a healthy Latendresse" in the first 6 games this year. Not much of a training camp, new team, didn't play much in 2 years...

Small hope that he has time to come back this year, stay healthy and we give him another chance next year. Or it will be with another team.

The only question is a Regin/Petersson one, can he remain healthy long enough to prove his worth?
In the six games he played he showed one thing, he just cannot skate well enough to compete in the NHL.

While he has had injuries, none of them should have slowed him to the degree he showed this year.

So while I would have expected rust in his game, his inability to get up and down the ice with any degree of speed rendered him next to useless in a top six role.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
I don't know that Latendresse was out of shape but I am sure he wasn't in game shape. All players mention how you can train and practice as hard as possible but it just doesn't compare to playing.

I saw many good things from Latendresse...from some scoring chances to some very aggressive hits and some great work down low in the offensive zone. With any luck he would have had 2 or 3 goals before he was out.

If he can possibly get healthy this season he would be a great addition to the top 6.
Agreed, but being in "game shape" and being able to skate with some speed are completely different issues.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Latendresse may have puck skill, but the main skill required to play hockey in today's NHL is skating.

GL was never fast, but now he gives me the impression he labours at it, leads me to believe he is too heavy and possibly not in great condition.

Last week I read he was sent to a doctor in the States to get an additional opinion on his injury due to his lack of progress.

So all things considered it wouldn't surprise me if GL has played his last game this season and I can't believe Murray will offer him a another contract.
For the most part, I agree.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Lyndon Slewidge

Didn't really expect this to happen. This is kind of our Nikita Filatov of 2013. With every positive (all of our rookies), there had to be at least one negative. At least it was really low risk.

Lyndon Slewidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Larionov

This is a cruel business, and the harsh fact is that Latendresse may have already washed out as an NHLer. He has chronic injury problems, and he looked half a step slow when he did play. Why is any team going to take a chance on him? The Sens are far better served playing the young guys as opposed to hoping that Latendresse finally finds his game again. My guess is that he is done for the year, and won't be able to entice any team to sign him to the same kind of deal Ottawa did. He'll be in Europe for 2013-14.

Larionov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Mark Effin Stone
Jävla grisapa!

Any idea to why they are so hush hush about it? Seems kind of wierd, is he even close to practicing?

Mark Effin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubbe View Post
Any idea to why they are so hush hush about it? Seems kind of wierd, is he even close to practicing?
i'm assuming it looks serious and they are still unsure the full extent of it. just by optics, it doesn't look promising.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Larionov

Teams are increasingly secretive about all of their injuries, with the seeming approval of the league. While NFL teams are obligated to provide fans and media with a comprehensive weekly injury list and update, the NHL doesn't believe that its paying customers are entitled to that information. Therefore, we just get the insultingly vague "upper body" and "lower body" injury reports. Pet peeve of mine, as you can tell!

Larionov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
Teams are increasingly secretive about all of their injuries, with the seeming approval of the league. While NFL teams are obligated to provide fans and media with a comprehensive weekly injury list and update, the NHL doesn't believe that its paying customers are entitled to that information. Therefore, we just get the insultingly vague "upper body" and "lower body" injury reports. Pet peeve of mine, as you can tell!
Probably has more to do with the betting lines than anything else.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:20 PM
AlfieAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
Keeping things hush-hush also helps the player's safety. For example, if we tell the world Latendresse has something wrong with his back, you best believe players like Matt Cooke are gonna target that area next time they see him.

AlfieAllDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
sensageddon

i got the feeling the sens managment told him to take this season off and get in shape for a tryout next season. What i'm always going to remember about this guy is how slow he was to get back on the bench on shift changes. I'm hoping he comes back at some point and shows us the player he can be.

sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
rbkhockey29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensageddon View Post
i got the feeling the sens managment told him to take this season off and get in shape for a tryout next season. What i'm always going to remember about this guy is how slow he was to get back on the bench on shift changes. I'm hoping he comes back at some point and shows us the player he can be.
This^
I really do think due to the secretive nature of this whole thing, told him to get into shape. I remember hearing his playing weight to be 250 -260? come on, the guy isnt 6'7" . That weight is too much IMO, Greening is just as big and probably weighs in at 215 give or take

rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You asked, and I quote:
"I am wondering what the Sens saw in the off season that would lead them to believe that he would be able to contribute for us this season".

I answered that question.
I agree that it's not really the argument that we should be focusing on, but you're the one who brought it up, and I felt the need to address it.
I was referring to his ability to actually play. Did they just call him up and say "hey, are you healthy enough to play" or did they actually put him through some testing to determine if he was good to go.

Again, the answer you gave is a pretty standard explanation to why we signed him and I think everyone agrees with it. I am asking why the sens would bring in an injured player who obviously was not ready. Everyone on this board could see it from game one and thought it was probably rust.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Yashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkhockey29 View Post
This^
I really do think due to the secretive nature of this whole thing, told him to get into shape. I remember hearing his playing weight to be 250 -260? come on, the guy isnt 6'7" . That weight is too much IMO, Greening is just as big and probably weighs in at 215 give or take
I'm pretty sure he said his playing weight was 230

Yashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post

While he has had injuries, none of them should have slowed him to the degree he showed this year.
His concussion could have.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote